TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

The OAO WWE DVD Thread

Here's a quick question for all you DVD buyers/collectors.

What are the top 5 rarest WWF/WWE dvd's out there?

I know Judgment Day 2002 is a tough one, what about the rest?

Also, are all the WWF released DVD's in high demand because of the no blurring/editing and that they were pulled off the shelves once the named changed.

Wrestlemania X7 seems to be one of the rarest these days due to being one of the best PPVs ever and having no editing, plus "My Way" left in tact. You usually see outrageous prices on Ebay for that one.

Vengeance 2002, like Judgment Day 2002, was one of the Shopzone exclusives, so it's probably about as rare. I might be wrong, but I think the Shopzone exclusive only applied to the US, so in Canada, they're not very rare.

Also, are all the WWF released DVD's in high demand because of the no blurring/editing and that they were pulled off the shelves once the named changed.

I'd say

Undertaker: The Phenom

Best of 2001: Viewer's Choice

Raw Homecoming

Judgment Day 2002

nWo: Back in Black

Judgment Day and Vengeance did see a wide DVD release in Canada but this was when Koch Video was roughly a month (or two) behind US schedule. I can't speak for nationwide but it seemed like they were still doing more VHS than DVD in 2002, but my only evidence for this is that I don't own Vengeance 2002 on DVD and had to settle for the VHS tape.

I'd say

Undertaker: The Phenom

Best of 2001: Viewer's Choice

Raw Homecoming

Judgment Day 2002

nWo: Back in Black

Undertake: The Phenom was just a VHS transfer right? Or was there anything added to the tape? Because I have the tape but I want to know if tracking a DVD down for more footage is worth it.

Undertake: The Phenom was just a VHS transfer right? Or was there anything added to the tape? Because I have the tape but I want to know if tracking a DVD down for more footage is worth it.

Just a VHS transfer. If you have the tape it's not worth getting the DVD unless you can find the DVD for less than $20 (eBay resale value is $30-50!). It's just rare because it was one of the more limited in release of the Attitude Collection DVDs.

I think Raw Homecoming is easily the rarest. It was only available as an exclusive at Walmart with a version of WM XX in the slimline DVD case. It sold out quickly and had a limited run. Also rare is the two-disc FYE version of the Ultimate Warrior DVD.

Also, if you guys are interested in the GAB 2008 DVD, K-Mart has a package of that and last year's GAB together for $14.99. They're also doing it for Summerslam when it comes out.

Here's something the 24/7 viewer in me noticed about SummerSlam 88: They get away with "Superstars of Wrestling" just fine. This normally requires some editing on 24/7 due to some copyright issue over the name. It was also odd hearing Patera come out to Olympic fanfare music, you'd think that sort of thing doesn't come cheap with the way the IOC is.

Just a VHS transfer. If you have the tape it's not worth getting the DVD unless you can find the DVD for less than $20 (eBay resale value is $30-50!). It's just rare because it was one of the more limited in release of the Attitude Collection DVDs.

I think Raw Homecoming is easily the rarest. It was only available as an exclusive at Walmart with a version of WM XX in the slimline DVD case. It sold out quickly and had a limited run. Also rare is the two-disc FYE version of the Ultimate Warrior DVD.

Also, if you guys are interested in the GAB 2008 DVD, K-Mart has a package of that and last year's GAB together for $14.99. They're also doing it for Summerslam when it comes out.

I actually have that Warrior DVD, I was meeting my brother at work (he works at a Best Buy) and he was going to buy me the Warrior DVD as a gift, on the way to pick him up, I stopped in an FYE and saw the 2 disc warrior and thought nothing of it, when I got to best buy I sure they were all 1 disc and didn't say "collectors edition" on the top, so I made him spend the extra couple of bucks (since no discount) and I got the 2 disc one.

I may pick up that GAB 2008 2 pack, sounds cool, might as well get both shows.

Here's something the 24/7 viewer in me noticed about SummerSlam 88: They get away with "Superstars of Wrestling" just fine. This normally requires some editing on 24/7 due to some copyright issue over the name. It was also odd hearing Patera come out to Olympic fanfare music, you'd think that sort of thing doesn't come cheap with the way the IOC is.

IIRC, he got to the ring in short order. I think a song has to play for 20 seconds or so for it to be collectable by the artists. But I could be dead wrong.

I actually have that Warrior DVD, I was meeting my brother at work (he works at a Best Buy) and he was going to buy me the Warrior DVD as a gift, on the way to pick him up, I stopped in an FYE and saw the 2 disc warrior and thought nothing of it, when I got to best buy I sure they were all 1 disc and didn't say "collectors edition" on the top, so I made him spend the extra couple of bucks (since no discount) and I got the 2 disc one.

I may pick up that GAB 2008 2 pack, sounds cool, might as well get both shows.

That's pretty cool. I picked up my copy at a Gamestop for $1.99 because they put the generic DVD pricetag on it.

It's not the first time K-Mart did the two-pack, they did it for Royal Rumble 2007/2008. That was an obvious buy, since 2008 was pretty entertaining and 2007 had Cena/Umaga and the Rumble match.

Don't turn this into an economy rant.

The menu screen for the SummerSlam boxset uses the "FIGHT" song from SummerSlam 2002 (specifically HBK/HHH's video package) that was also on the Anthology CD set.

Here's something the 24/7 viewer in me noticed about SummerSlam 88: They get away with "Superstars of Wrestling" just fine. This normally requires some editing on 24/7 due to some copyright issue over the name.

The above must have been an oversight because it's in full effect for the recap packages for SummerSlam 89. If you weren't looking for it you might not even notice it, but since I WAS looking for it I couldn't help but notice that any video package that recapped a Superstars happening had a sky blue chyron that matched nothing else shown.

I like watching the show highlights on the menu screen too... it's kind of like watching those post-PPV videos they used to do (and still do for Mania). "Fight" did synch up with 88 or 89 (the video loops back to the beginning while the song still goes), but man, it synchs GREAT with the 90 menu. Really good. This is also probably very sad that I look for that sort of thing (and look forward to seeing if it synchs up for 91-2007) but it's who I am.

I'm happy they seemed to get rights to a lot of music back (I recall hearing Demolition's theme was a no-go for the Mania DVD set, for example, but it's here for all to hear) but it is a bit of a shame they got the rights to the SummerSlam 88/89 theme for these shows but didn't get it for the Rumble set (and I've always associated that theme with the Rumble). Because they had to dub over that theme, the classic 91 and 92 Rumble openings with Vince yelling everyone's name now has Generic Guy (who I think also does voice over work for 24/7 such as Fake Gary Cappetta) doing it. It's just not the same.

One thing I immediately noticed about the SummerSlam'88 dvd is the lack of 20min. devoted to Sugar Ray Leonard & Donny Lalonde during the PPV broadcast.

Also , with '89 ... if you have the PPV version , you'll notice Schivone(sp) 'stammering for time' just before the PPV intro video. However on the dvd , the edit is perfect with no stammering at all.

Anyway , just 2 little things I noticed about the set thus far. Tonight is SummerSlam'90 , so I'm looking forward to watching when I get home.

So with Edge coming out with a DVD later in the year, this begs the question, who needs a DVD the most now? Has to be an active wrestler though, we all know which retired wrestlers deserve a DVD.

Choices:

Batista: arguably the guy who carried the Smackdown title and well, he's had a fine career. Some very matches can be had on DVD such as HHH, HBK, and Undertaker. Been around long enough to deserve one DVD if Cena already has two.

Chris Jericho: since he's NEVER had a real DVD, that one in 2000 doesn't count, now here is a guy who badly needs one. From matches with Michaels, Rock, Angle, Cena, HHH, here's a guy who has a full list of matches that are ready to be put on DVD.

I must say before I started this thread I felt there must've been more guys who need a DVD, but that's about it on the active roster from what I can see from all three brands. Looks like every other big star has had a DVD out recently or within the last year or two.

With their massive video library, they should easily be able to make quite the comprehensive documentary about Jericho's travels through ECW, SMW, WCW, and WWE with a respectable matchlist.

Angle was a guy who's DVD cancellation back in 2004 or so did not bother me. His best stuff is on PPVs (which at the time I was buying them all) and because his entire pro-career (that they own) took place in WWE, it's not like they have some exciting rare footage of him or something.

The only other guys I could think of in terms of being on the current roster and being around for any length of time are Big Show and Kane. I doubt you'd get a great match selection out of either though. Show at least would have WCW footage to pick from as well I guess.

I think Big Show and Kane have enough decent or matches that were better than they should have been that you could do a two disc set for either with a documentary and extras on one disc and like 6 matches on the second disc.

I think Big Show and Kane have enough decent or matches that were better than they should have been that you could do a two disc set for either with a documentary and extras on one disc and like 6 matches on the second disc.

Kane actually had an FYE-exclusive DVD (Journey To Hell). It was one-disc and was pretty barebone:

vs. Undertaker (Unforgiven IYH Inferno Match)

vs. Shane McMahon (Unforgiven '03 Last Man Standing Match)

vs. Matt Hardy (Summerslam '04 'Til Death Do Us Part Match)

vs. HBK (Unforgiven '04 No DQ Match)

vs. Edge (Vengeance '05)

I never knew that Best of 2001: Viewer's choice was rare, I bought that for like 12-15 bucks AFTER the WWF became the WWE. I know Mania 17 is up there, but what's the going rate for this DVD? It's really nothing special to me, that's why I'm kind of shocked it's worth something.

I never knew that Best of 2001: Viewer's choice was rare, I bought that for like 12-15 bucks AFTER the WWF became the WWE. I know Mania 17 is up there, but what's the going rate for this DVD? It's really nothing special to me, that's why I'm kind of shocked it's worth something.

Sells about $25-35 on eBay.

It's worth something because it's considered one of the best PPVs on DVD (and one of the best of all time) before they switched to WWE.

Oh, yeah, I remember Best of 01 being fairly rare early on for a couple reasons. Not many people picked it up right away because it was mostly matches from PPVs, that they could pick up on the other DVDs (which is why I didn't get it), but now it is the only release that has the HHH/Austin vs. Jericho/Benoit match.