TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

The OAO WWE DVD Thread

All of it bugs the crap out of me, really. Most of all the blurring, as sometimes it interferes with a match or the whole presentation of the product.

On the subject of music edits.. what's up with that? Most of those matches were put out on VHS back in the day with no edits.. so wouldn't they still have the rights to distribute these with the same music but on DVD? Or do you have to get the rights for BOTH mediums even though they are both considered "home video" ?

Can we include censoring of people saying "WWF" with the blurring or would that be more along the lines of music edits?

I'd count that with the blurring since it's the whole deletion of "WWF"

Then the blurring. A lot of the music editing doesn't bug me since I didn't watch in the 80's and didn't watch WCW enough to count.

Just a question for all of you...

What upsets you more on a DVD, music edits or the blurring?

None of the above. The editing of Jesse Ventura off of matches probably bugs me the most.

This.

I HATE the music editing especially because its Vince and company just being cheapasses.

Does the Best of 2001 DVD have the matches in full or just clips?

I believe they were full.

From what I gather, some of these themes can cost $20,000+ a pop for the rights to be included on 24/7 or a DVD (and the $20,000 figure is actually based on 24/7 - I imagine DVD would be more due to a "per sale" royalty deal but I'm not an expert here). This is worth approximately zero buys. Anyone who buys a DVD strictly for the chance to hear 45 seconds worth of music that they could probably hear on the internet for free is about as smart as the guy who says "you know, I really wanted to get SummerSlam 88 on DVD, but I heard Don Muraco doesn't come out to 'Jesus Christ Superstar' so I'll watch my 3rd generation Coliseum video dub I bought from a tape trader instead".

So with Edge coming out with a DVD later in the year, this begs the question, who needs a DVD the most now? Has to be an active wrestler though, we all know which retired wrestlers deserve a DVD.

Choices:

Batista: arguably the guy who carried the Smackdown title and well, he's had a fine career. Some very matches can be had on DVD such as HHH, HBK, and Undertaker. Been around long enough to deserve one DVD if Cena already has two.

Chris Jericho: since he's NEVER had a real DVD, that one in 2000 doesn't count, now here is a guy who badly needs one. From matches with Michaels, Rock, Angle, Cena, HHH, here's a guy who has a full list of matches that are ready to be put on DVD.

I must say before I started this thread I felt there must've been more guys who need a DVD, but that's about it on the active roster from what I can see from all three brands. Looks like every other big star has had a DVD out recently or within the last year or two.

I'm having my doubts about the Edge DVD happening. WWE's coming out with IC title History and Eddie DVDs in November and IIRC that's when Edge's set was supposed to be released. KOCH Canada doesn't have any Edge set planned for the month of November. Maybe they'll make a go with it for December, but it wouldn't shock me if they change their mind, or have already changed their mind. Raise your hands, any of you, if you remember about a Starrcade set that was planned, but canned, because Vince felt like he could make more money off another Flair set instead.

Agreed with Jericho getting a set.

Just a question for all of you...

What upsets you more on a DVD, music edits or the blurring?

As a fan, the music. I'm well used to the blurring, and people not saying "WWF" and whatnot.

But I grew up on a lot of the old themes, so hearing them again is part of the memory experience. Not that I hate the WrestleMania Anthology, but I really did wish they had included the themes, especially since that set probably sold better than the other box sets have or will. I breathed a sigh of relief when Jive Soul Bro FINALLY got onto DVD (it's in SummerSlam 89).

From what I gather, some of these themes can cost $20,000+ a pop for the rights to be included on 24/7 or a DVD (and the $20,000 figure is actually based on 24/7 - I imagine DVD would be more due to a "per sale" royalty deal but I'm not an expert here). This is worth approximately zero buys. Anyone who buys a DVD strictly for the chance to hear 45 seconds worth of music that they could probably hear on the internet for free is about as smart as the guy who says "you know, I really wanted to get SummerSlam 88 on DVD, but I heard Don Muraco doesn't come out to 'Jesus Christ Superstar' so I'll watch my 3rd generation Coliseum video dub I bought from a tape trader instead".

Not only that, but Jimmy Hart created a lot of the enterance song for wrestlers and since Jimmy Hart has zero to do with the WWE nowadays except for showing up randomly every once in a great while, the WWE doesn't use his music. If they hired him for something, I'm sure he would allow them to use his music without having to pay to much but since he doesn't work for the WWE, I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy wants a lot of money.

I can't believe they took the time to semi-passably edit the sign the kid that won the SummerSlam 97 million dollar contest was carrying around the airport or whatever to say "WWE". Normally they just blur signs. It was actually pretty funny.

Something I don't think I've noticed before about SummerSlam 97 (or may have years ago, then forgot) was when they talk about the other contest winner with the shaved head, they show a newspaper. The "Journal Courier" lists this man as the top headline, "Wrestling Fan Loses Sleep Over Contest". Apparently this was bigger news than the story they had to publish below - "15 KILLED IN BOMBING".

I'm not sure if this is what you guys are talking about with the K-Mart double disc deals for recent PPVs, but I noticed a print ad noting that the previously UK-only concept of "Tagged Classics" is in the US now with a "Backlash 2003 / Judgment Day 2003" package (THOSE are tagged classics?). No Way Out 2003 is involved in this somehow too but I forget what exactly all the pairings are.

I'm not sure if this is what you guys are talking about with the K-Mart double disc deals for recent PPVs, but I noticed a print ad noting that the previously UK-only concept of "Tagged Classics" is in the US now with a "Backlash 2003 / Judgment Day 2003" package (THOSE are tagged classics?). No Way Out 2003 is involved in this somehow too but I forget what exactly all the pairings are.

I'm pretty sure the No Way Out comes with Royal Rumble. I remember seeing them and thinking they did the first few of 03, skipped Wrestlemania, then resumed. I think I've also seen No Mercy 02 with No Mercy 03 and I think maybe Unforgiven 02/03.

I'm pretty sure the No Way Out comes with Royal Rumble. I remember seeing them and thinking they did the first few of 03, skipped Wrestlemania, then resumed. I think I've also seen No Mercy 02 with No Mercy 03 and I think maybe Unforgiven 02/03.

RR/No Way Out 2003

Backlash/Judgment Day 2003

Coming out next week:

Bad Blood/Vengeance 2003

Summerslam/Unforgiven 2003

K-Mart exclusive:

Unforgiven 2002/2003

No Mercy 2002/2003

Circuit City has a SummerSlam 3-pack (04, 05, and 06) for $22 USD.

The 2004 box has a new cover that removes any reference to the Orton/Benoit match; there's a blank space where their pictures used to be.

I'm so juiced, the Mr. Perfect dvd comes out next week, followed by the new Metallica album on Friday, next week is gonna be fuckin............perfect.

Cut from the WON Thread and put here instead:

There's an Edge DVD scheduled for November. That sounds like something already mentioned in here, though.

Just checked KOCH Canada's website now, and they have a 3-disc Edge DVD scheduled for release on December 23rd. Also have a 3-disc Kane DVD scheduled for December 9th. (There's no real title listed for Kane's, but Edge's is "A Decade of Decadence".)

This was obviously a very recent update, too, as I checked their site yesterday and these weren't listed.

Cut from the WON Thread and put here instead:

There's an Edge DVD scheduled for November. That sounds like something already mentioned in here, though.

Just checked KOCH Canada's website now, and they have a 3-disc Edge DVD scheduled for release on December 23rd. Also have a 3-disc Kane DVD scheduled for December 9th. (There's no real title listed for Kane's, but Edge's is "A Decade of Decadence".)

This was obviously a very recent update, too, as I checked their site yesterday and these weren't listed.

Those both would be really good, I hope they actually release them both.

Unforgiven 2002 - Decent

No Mercy 2002 - Good

2003:

RR - Decent

No Way Out 2003 - Good

Backlash - Decent

Judgment Day - Sucked

Bad Blood - People like it, but I thought it sucked.

Vengeance - GREAT

Summerslam - Decent

Unforgiven - Crap, worse than JD

Just got the Mr. Perfect DVD and watched the documentary. I don't usually do the DVD threads, so I don't know how this is typically handled, but...

Liked it overall, although towards the end they kinda go to excessive length to distance themselves from the circumstances of his death, even going as far to post a newspaper clipping that stated he overdosed from cocaine. I understand why the felt the need to do that, but it's a little annoying.

Where'd you get it from? I thought it didn't release til the 9th?

Getting WWE DVDs a few to several days early isn't that uncommon, certainly if it's something like five days earlier. The big reason, I think, is that WWE DVDs aren't as heavily promoted as, say, motion picture DVDs and TV show DVD sets, where the release date is much more heavily advertised.

Anyways, back when Music World was still going here in Canada, they were great as far as getting WWE DVDs on their shelves quite early. I think I got Mick Foley's Greatest Hits And Misses a good week to ten days in advance. It wasn't the only one, too. On the other hand, HMV tends to be more precise on release dates of WWE DVDs (or any product for that matter). Anyways, it's the one thing that I miss with Music World, as often at times, I wouldn't have to wait until the next Tuesday for a WWE DVD to hit the shelves.

In the end, it depends on the store. If you live near a mom and pop store that would distribute WWE DVDs, you might get lucky on an early release. I have friends who have been able to get various video games early from those types of stores. Depends on the store, which may also depend on the town you live in.

Circuit City has a SummerSlam 3-pack (04, 05, and 06) for $22 USD.

The 2004 box has a new cover that removes any reference to the Orton/Benoit match; there's a blank space where their pictures used to be.

we got that last year and I got it then. I previously mentioned this in last year's thread. Funny thing is inside it still had the original insert with Benoit on it and obviously has the original dvd from 2004 (with the ppv theme song intact) Interestingly, our second shipment of them had the original cover on it (thereby pissing me off)

About early releasing, a major store like ours cannot sell anything with a hard street date (literally the system won't let you ring it up) despite getting stuff in as early as 3 weeks prior. I assume the little shops use just basic registers that don't have any restrictions on it and therefore can sell stuff early (unless the studios find out and the government slaps a huge fine on them)