TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

The OAO WWE DVD Thread

The match listing for the PErfect DVD is strange to me. I'm a little over halfway through, and I think he's only won one match. You'd think they'd put more high-profile wins on the disc.

Mr. Perfect vs. Bret Hart

Madison Square Garden (24/04/89)

I'm assuming this is stemming from Mr. Perfect's challenge at Wrestlemania V?

The match listing for the PErfect DVD is strange to me. I'm a little over halfway through, and I think he's only won one match. You'd think they'd put more high-profile wins on the disc.

Very strange match selection. A lot of random stuff. Bret/Hening Souled Out? What?

No Survivor Series 1992 match, not the KOTR qualifying match with Doink, not the match with Flair from RAW. Very strange selection.

Also thought their new selection for Flair's recent DVD left a lot to be desired.

Yeah, the record I have for Curt's DVD matches is 3 wins, 4 losses, and 3 draws.

Thing is that Hennig never really had many high profile wins that come to mind. Heck, he was only 1-3 at WrestleMania if memory isn't failing me, and that one win was in a sub-10 minute match. His better matches resulted in either draws or losses. Any other PPV win he had was over guys like the Red Rooster.

I think it was a matter of including high profile matches where he had great performances, since his performance was something that was talked about more in the doc rather than his wins and losses. In retrospect, the fact that he never beat any real stellar faces on his way to feuding with Hogan may have hurt his drawing ability vs. Hogan. It's like, well who did Hennig beat? Blue Blazer. Red Rooster. Bret Hart before he became a singles star. Maybe an aging Jimmy Snuka. Maybe also a Tito Santana who was a JTTS at the time. Not exactly an eye-opening list.

Perhaps we'll see WWE release a complimentary DVD in the future, similar to what they did with Rey Mysterio and Shawn Michaels, with some of Hennig's more high-profile matches. As it is, I think there is a little too much Bret Hart on the DVD and the SummerSlam match could have been replaced. Outside of that, I like that they went for more obscure matches.

I know that the match where he won the AWA title was on the AWA dvd.. but I really think it should've been in this set as well. I mean if they were going to double dip with the Bret Hart Summerslam match, then why not this one too?

It's never too soon to start a 2009 wish list, with that said, what does everyone want?

I think it's obvious we all want the Survivor Series set, since it's the last one left of the big four that needs a box set.

Maybe another Bret set? Chris Jericho? Something based on WCW?

For the record, I'd like to see the following:

Something based on WCW

Goldberg: I just want to watch all the WCW stuff all over again

Sting: hopefully by 2009, he'll be outta TNA and we get the set

Kevin Nash/Diesel: If he's back in the company by 2009, I can see him getting a set.

From Vinnie Vegas to Diesel to Kevin Nash: The Life and Times of his Quad

Rise and Fall of the Macho Man Randy Savage: Since he's buried, might as well make a DVD of this type on him

Batista/Orton: Not because I'm the biggest fan, but I think these two dudes will probably get one, just because of what they've done so far. This one is more like a prediction, then what I would like to see.

History of the WWE: Let's talk about everything WWE. From the days of the WWWF to the World Wrestling Federation to WWE, let's take a trip down memory lane. From Hulkamania to the Steroids scandal to WCW to Montreal to buying WCW/ECW to WWE to Chris Benoit, we need a complete look at the history of the company. I'm really surprised they have never done a set on the complete history of the company. As extras we get the Top 10 best matches in WWE history. The online voting for that box set would be great.

For 2009, I would love to se ea set on the Hart Family, or maybe one specifically centered on The British Bulldog

Best of Starrcade

History of the Intercontinental Title

A Ted Dibiase set

a WCW History disc

The Greatest Tag Teams

Greatest Superstars of the 90's

and even though it will never happen, I would love to see Documentaries on Randy Savage, Bruno Sammartino, and Bob Backlund

I'd love to see Jericho finally get a DVD next year, even if it's just a compilation of matches. I would also like to see a WarGames compilation similar to the soon-to-be-released Hell in a Cell set. I continue to hope that we'll eventually see a Rise and Fall of WCW DVD released in the future.

Chris Jericho - The Ultrafinimate Collection

The Rise and Fall of WCW

Everyone Has a Price - The Ted DiBiase Story

Survivor Series Collection

The Hart Family - A Tradition of Excellence

Andre The Giant - The 8th Wonder

and of course

The Self-Destruction of Randy Savage

Honestly, maybe the WWE should go down that route with a series called: "The Self-Destruction of.........."

Think of the Candidates:

Ultimate Warrior (done)

Macho Man

Scott Hall

Jeff Jarrett (you know the WWE wants to bury him)

Brock Lesnar (I'm sure they are still pissed at him)

Chris Benoit

Best of Starrcade

History of the Intercontinental Title

The Histoy of the IC Title DVD is already in the works for a late Nov - Dec. release according to amazon.com. Best of Starrcade now seems a possiblility since they had this fan voting at wwe.com for favorite Starrcade matches for a 24/7 special, so who knows if they might translate that to an actual dvd release.

But really, other than Vince hating Savage for whatever reason, how has he self-destructed? The guy left WWF on excellent terms in '94 and had a great run through the end in WCW. He accomplished about as much as he could with his level of talent.

Yeah, I'm not sure how they could justify saying Savage's career "self destructed". OK, he sucked during the last two years or so of his WCW run but he was still over and frequently main eventing. How did he self-destruct? By no-showing that WWA PPV? By recording a terrible rap album? I mean he seems pretty content in retirement and has a semi-successful career as a voice actor.

I guess you could play up the fact that he was a jerk to Elizabeth when they were married but that'd probably be in poor taste considering the whole Roots Genoa incident.

But really, other than Vince hating Savage for whatever reason, how has he self-destructed? The guy left WWF on excellent terms in '94 and had a great run through the end in WCW. He accomplished about as much as he could with his level of talent.

And besides it should be named Macho Madness

Best of Battle Royals

Saturday Nights Main Event - Entire Collection

Most unusual matches - Scaffold, Inferno, Bullrope, Bunkhouse Brawl, Barbed-Wire, Weapon on a pole, etc etc

Clash of the Champions - Entire Collection

Owen Hart

Rick Rude

Kane

Steiners

Barry Windham - Altho not many high profile matches

Vader

Lawler

Edge

Big Show

Yokozuna - I know you're all laughing, but from 93-95 he was the major heel holding the heavyweight & tag title.

& of course....

The greatest intercontinental champion of all-time.... The Honky Tonk Man......lol

Yeah, I'm not sure how they could justify saying Savage's career "self destructed". OK, he sucked during the last two years or so of his WCW run but he was still over and frequently main eventing. How did he self-destruct? By no-showing that WWA PPV? By recording a terrible rap album? I mean he seems pretty content in retirement and has a semi-successful career as a voice actor.

I guess you could play up the fact that he was a jerk to Elizabeth when they were married but that'd probably be in poor taste considering the whole Roots Genoa incident.

:lol:

Thing is that Hennig never really had many high profile wins that come to mind. Heck, he was only 1-3 at WrestleMania if memory isn't failing me, and that one win was in a sub-10 minute match. His better matches resulted in either draws or losses. Any other PPV win he had was over guys like the Red Rooster.

This is a very good point. What you said about Hennig can apply to a lot of the top heels during this era, like Ted Dibease and Rick Rude. They were great wrestlers but because they were heels, they had very few high profile wins. Rude's only major WWF win was his title victory against Warrior. Not to mention that great wrestling matches wasn't exaclty a WWF priority during that era. Entertainment ruled. Hennig's big singles matches were his Summerslam 91 and KOTR 93 against Bret (both losses) and his Raw match against Ric Flair. So picking his top matches for a DVD is difficult. If you look at his IC and US title victories they came against Tito Santana (still a good worker but one step above a jobber at this point), a past-his-prime Kerry Von Erich, and Steve McMichael. Curt deserved better.

Still though, matches the WWF could have put on this DVD...

-The complete version of his Raw match with Ric Flair.

-I appreciate them wanting to avoid repeats but Hennig vs Hart at KOTR should have been there instead of their terrible WCW match.

-Hennig and Savage vs Flair and Ramon at Survivor Series 92. Hennig's big return as a face and the only time he was in a PPV main event (not couting Royal Rumble).

-Hennig's very entertaining title defense against Roddy Piper at MSG, a match that came about after Piper refereed that match between Hennig and Von Erich the previous month

-Hennig's IC title rematch against Tito Santana was supposed to be very good.

-Hennig and Barry Windham winning the WCW World Tag Team Championship from Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko. Obviously, because of Benoit, this wasn't going to be on the DVD.

I enjoyed the Bret/Hennig Uncensored (almost wrote "Unforgiven") match. It's the lesser of their work but one of Hennig's better WCW outings. I actually got to see them do a match at a house show in March 98 when Hall and Nash no-showed and I was pretty damn happy about it.

This is a very good point. What you said about Hennig can apply to a lot of the top heels during this era, like Ted Dibease and Rick Rude. They were great wrestlers but because they were heels, they had very few high profile wins. Rude's only major WWF win was his title victory against Warrior. Not to mention that great wrestling matches wasn't exaclty a WWF priority during that era. Entertainment ruled. Hennig's big singles matches were his Summerslam 91 and KOTR 93 against Bret (both losses) and his Raw match against Ric Flair. So picking his top matches for a DVD is difficult. If you look at his IC and US title victories they came against Tito Santana (still a good worker but one step above a jobber at this point), a past-his-prime Kerry Von Erich, and Steve McMichael. Curt deserved better.

Still though, matches the WWF could have put on this DVD...

-The complete version of his Raw match with Ric Flair.

-I appreciate them wanting to avoid repeats but Hennig vs Hart at KOTR should have been there instead of their terrible WCW match.

-Hennig and Savage vs Flair and Ramon at Survivor Series 92. Hennig's big return as a face and the only time he was in a PPV main event (not couting Royal Rumble).

-Hennig's very entertaining title defense against Roddy Piper at MSG, a match that came about after Piper refereed that match between Hennig and Von Erich the previous month

-Hennig's IC title rematch against Tito Santana was supposed to be very good.

-Hennig and Barry Windham winning the WCW World Tag Team Championship from Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko. Obviously, because of Benoit, this wasn't going to be on the DVD.

Hennig vs. Santana from SNME, and verse Doink KOTR should have been added.

Take off the Bret match from Uncensored. The Flair Havoc match was better than that and it was his only rea singlesl feud in WCW besides DDP.

The RAW match with Flair is on the RAW 15th Anniversary DVD already.

Yeah, but isn't it clipped? I think he wants the whole match.

Did anybody else really hate the Curt Hennig vs Terry Taylor because of the commentary? Foley and Cole totally distracted me from the match with their rambling.

Did anybody else really hate the Curt Hennig vs Terry Taylor because of the commentary? Foley and Cole totally distracted me from the match with their rambling.

Right. The complete match between Flair and Hennig. Also, the Hennig rematch with Santana I referred to was the SNME match.

It's another repeat but Hennig winning the title from Bockwinkel would have been nice. But I think the problem was how much they could fit on the DVD. The Hennig/Bockwinkel draw is sixty minutes and the title change is a thirty minutes long, forty if you count all the post-match stuff.

Agreed, they had no insight whatsoever on the actual match.

According to PWInsider, the Best of Starrcade DVD due out later this year has now been canceled. It will be replaced with a Kane DVD. Saying I am upset would be a huge understatement.

Well, you're a 24/7 subscriber and they basically moved it to 24/7 in November, so it's all good.