TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

The OAO WWE DVD Thread

So is it complete matches, or just clips? (SNME)

Just watching The History Of The WWE Championship for the first time, on disc one, on nearly every single Hogan win, Jesse Ventura, without fail, tells us he'd love to get back in there and beat Hogan up. I know it's just Jesse being Jesse, but he says it during several matches, it's awesome.

Agreed. I love going back and hearing Jesse, while appearing to be a heel, basically giving pseudo-shoot comments on Hogan throughout his match commentaries.

His rants and commentary during the Hogan/Macho match and Hogan’s pose-fest at the end of WM5 are legendary. I remember he said something like, “This dude makes me sick! Makes me wanna come out of retirement, step in there and take this dude out!” He kept calling him Lust Hogan for wanting Elizabeth. Classic.

Safe to say the only omissions from the 90's set is Goldberg and Macho?

And anything from ECW.

As much as I love Savage, he doesn't fit on a best of the 90s set, considering the bulk of the decade he was either on commentary or working the same match over and over where he would get beat down before hitting one slam plus the elbow. RVD and Sabu definitely got shafted, but weed's a helluva drug.

I bought the Starrcade DVD yesterday at Walmart, but I haven't watched it yet. Probably won't happen, but it would be cool if WWE did something like that for SuperBrawl and Halloween Havoc.

Maybe even just a dvd that picked the best 10 matches from superbrawl, slamboree, and halloween havoc or something along those lines. I wonder what the chances are of dvds for guys like Goldberg or DDP. I think both deserve to be chronicled with atleast a single disc.

What I find odd about these DVDs is that JR left WCW by the beginning of 1993, but he is always the guy they use to talk about WCW as if he was in the know for anything WCW related, even when he wasn't there. This happens on Viva La Raza and the Starrcade set. It's not a huge deal, and I'm sure he does know what he's talking about, but it does seem a bit odd at times.

I'd think it might be chalked up to him being a bit more of a study of promotions outside of the WWE then whoever is still with the company that could do any sort of commentary.

..and as much as a bias it might seem JR has some times towards WWE, the man knows his history and doesn't hold back on his thoughts / feelings.

Yeah I finally found out cause I bought it last night lol. I figured, cause most SNME matches weren't very long.

I hope this sells well so we can get a Volume II, We need the first Rockers/Brainbusters match, Dream Team vs Bulldogs 2/3 falls, The Macho Man vs Jake 'The Snake' from 1992 (funny thing is before the 86 match, they show the promos clearly from the later match).

First match on the SNME set.. why does it sound like a voiceover of Finkel annoucing Hogan from "Hollywood California" - are they not allowed to say Venice Beach anymore or something?

First match on the SNME set.. why does it sound like a voiceover of Finkel annoucing Hogan from "Hollywood California" - are they not allowed to say Venice Beach anymore or something?

They needed a voiceover because of the theme music, Hogan wasn't using "Real American" yet.

Is that Darsow or the original Smash in the pre-WM3 battle royal? Short hair leads me to believe that it's the original, but I can't remember if Darsow had short hair as well when he first joined..

I skimmed through all three discs so far and it looks damn good. I can't wait to really get into it. It's too bad they don't have a documentary but I think the Mean Gene openers for each segments work all right this time.

I did find one interesting edit. When Piper is whipping Mr. T with his belt, they edited out Ventura's un-pc remark in which he says "Hey, McMahon, it's Roots 2!"

In the Hogan/Bundy match that opens disc 2, after Andre chokes Hogan out and Duggan makes the save with the 2x4, Duggan smacks the ring apron with it, a big piece flying into the crowd. They never showed that camera angle again after that. Did that seriously fuck a fan up?

This set is all kinds of awesome, though.

Like I said, I hope this sells big, cause I want a Volume II

Even though I pre-ordered it from Amazon.ca, it's not scheduled to ship until Friday. I assume that, much like the Starrcade set, I'm going to have to end up cancelling it and heading to the mall on Friday to get it from HMV.

I really have no SNME nostalgia except for the Flair/Undertaker vs. Sid/Hogan match, but this sounds pretty cool all the same.

Edit: Apparently my order for "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection" for the 360 was the hold-up. Amazon.ca lists that one as "ships in 2-5 weeks". Ok then.

I'm glad they included the Friday show "the Main Event" with the double ref screwjob. I also loved reliving the Mega Powers imploding! :P

I could've done without the 2006 stuff, though. Really felt out of place.

I'm glad they included the Friday show "the Main Event" with the double ref screwjob. I also loved reliving the Mega Powers imploding! :P

I could've done without the 2006 stuff, though. Really felt out of place.

I was watching that. Andre could barely move but the heel was off the charts and the double referee thing was actually quite clever. It's amazing Hogan didn't kill Hebner though. He completely missed Dibiase and Virgil and landed on the outside floor.

And Andre does inexplicably refer to the WWF Championship as the "World Tag Team Championship" no fewer than three times.

And Andre does inexplicably refer to the WWF Championship as the "World Tag Team Championship" no fewer than three times.

I always got a kick out of that. :lol:

I was skimming some of the chapters on Disc 3 of the SNME set today - gotta love how they explain the move to FOX. Was it because ratings were tanking by 1991? A thousand times no! They were so high that they could tender the show to the highest bidder, that being Fox.

Give the WWE some time. It took them almost 25 years to admit on 24/7 that taking over the Georgia Championship Wrestling slot was not a success.

I think the ratings by the end of the NBC run were like 6.5. They would kill for those numbers now.