TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

The OAO WWE DVD Thread

I think that now that the Randy Savage DVD has been all but confirmed to come out on June 2009 by several sources (including JR) we can finally start creaming our pants, I mean, candidly discussing a potential or wishful set list. The usual suspects should all be there (even if Savage vs Steamboat has been featured in several sets), but I'm gonna go on a limb and wish for a Savage vs Bret Hart match from Japan back when Bret was WWF Champ that I read was tons of fun. A lost gem like that would really make my day.

I'm all for more matches.. but I love the docu style stuff as I go back to that more than I do the matches. It's a shame that WWE doesn't think this kind of format is valuable anymore.

I'm all for more matches.. but I love the docu style stuff as I go back to that more than I do the matches. It's a shame that WWE doesn't think this kind of format is valuable anymore.

They probably changed because the number one thing people used to say bad about WWE dvds was the lack of matches. Now they are doing like 25-30 on each release rather then 6-12.

Kind of dissapointed they haven't done a "signature/deluxe release" or anything of a few Manias from the past that were really significant to lead to this one coming up.

Remember two years back when they released WrestleMania III as a special edition DVD (had some extras, etc) to coincide with Mania 23 from Detroit (ie 20th Anniversary)?

I wish we could get that again, in some way, shape or form. Re-release Mania 17, since that was in Houston as well. I also wouldn't mind an amped up version of older Manias like 1, 10, etc.

WWE should really think about doing this, since I think alot of die-hard fans would double-dip on seperate Mania releases from way back when, even if they got the box set with all of the Manias there.

I apologize if this topic has been discussed before.

Here's the cover artwork and match listings for the new "WWE Greatest Superstars Of The 90s" 3-disc DVD. This kinda looks like the advertisement poster from In Your House: Backlash 1999. The same font maybe.

WWE1230-other.jpg

Release date: April 14th 2009

Artwork & match listings- Credit Silvervision.co.uk

Match listings

Disc 1

Tazz - Introduction

Shawn Michaels

From the Smallest Champion to the Largest

Yokozuna

Samoan Culture

The Rock

Drawing the Casual Fan

Women of the 90s

Tough and Sexy

Kevin Nash

Battle for Superstardom

Owen Hart

Fun Filled Memories

Ric Flair

Infamous Figure

Mick Foley

The Quest for Success

Not So Great Stars of the 90s

The Reinvention

Hulk Hogan

Attitude and Controversy

Triple H

Technical Savvy

Bret Hart

Pop Culture Phenomenon

Vince McMahon / Eric Bischoff / Paul Heyman

The Total Package

Lex Luger

The IT Factor

Sting

The Bad Guy

Razor Ramon

Respect

The Undertaker

A Rebel

Stone Cold Steve Austin

Tazz - Close

Extras

• Razor Ramon – Restaurant Vignette

July 11, 1992

• The Undertaker Builds a Coffin for Yokozuna

December 1993

• Bret Hart – New Generation Vignette

July 1994

• Owen Hart Inside a Steel Cage

August 20, 1994

• Shawn Michaels Press Conference Before WrestleMania XI

February 28, 1995

• Hunter Hearst Helmsley - "Riff Raff"

April 15, 1995

• Mankind – “And God Created Mankind”

January 6, 1996

• Scott Hall & Kevin Nash N.W.O. Vignette

August 19, 1996

• The Hart Foundation Reunites

March 31, 1997

• D-Generation X Reenacts the Montreal Incident

November 24, 1997

• The Rock Reads Steve Austin’s Eulogy

April 19, 1999

• Steve Austin remembers the Shockmaster

Disc 2

Ric Flair vs. Hulk Hogan

Madison Square Garden - November 30, 1991

WWE Championship Match

Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels

Survivor Series - November 25, 1992

WWE Championship Match

Hulk Hogan vs. Yokozuna

King of the Ring - June 13, 1993

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart

WrestleMania X - March 20, 1994

Intercontinental Championship Match

Diesel vs. Razor Ramon

Superstars – April 13, 1994

International World Heavyweight Championship Match

Sting vs. Vader

Slamboree – May 22, 1994

WWE Championship Match

Bret Hart vs. Diesel

Royal Rumble – January 22, 1995

WWE Women’s Championship Match

Alundra Blayze vs. Bull Nakano

Monday Night Raw – April 3, 1995

Disc 3

Triple Header Match

Shawn Michaels & Diesel vs. Yokozuna & British Bulldog

In Your House – September 24, 1995

#1 Contender Match

Owen Hart vs. Shawn Michaels

In Your House – February 18, 1996

WWE Championship Match

Shawn Michaels vs. Vader

SummerSlam – August 18, 1996

Steel Cage Match

Mankind vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley

SummerSlam – August 3, 1997

WCW Championship Match

Lex Luger vs. Hulk Hogan

Monday Nitro – August 4, 1997

WWE Championship Match

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Undertaker

SummerSlam – August 30, 1998

United States Championship Match

Sting vs. Bret Hart

Halloween Havoc – October 25, 1998

Strap Match

Triple H vs. The Rock

Fully Loaded – July 25, 1999

Has anyone heard if they plan on releasing more Legends Roundtables on dvd? I've seen Jim Ross make remarks about picking up future roundtables on dvd.

Kind of dissapointed they haven't done a "signature/deluxe release" or anything of a few Manias from the past that were really significant to lead to this one coming up.

Remember two years back when they released WrestleMania III as a special edition DVD (had some extras, etc) to coincide with Mania 23 from Detroit (ie 20th Anniversary)?

I wish we could get that again, in some way, shape or form. Re-release Mania 17, since that was in Houston as well. I also wouldn't mind an amped up version of older Manias like 1, 10, etc.

WWE should really think about doing this, since I think alot of die-hard fans would double-dip on seperate Mania releases from way back when, even if they got the box set with all of the Manias there.

Okay, I saw that special edition WM III DVD, but was afraid to pick it up. Is it worth it? The reason I was hesitant was that I still have the original video tape that was released with the original music such as Steamboat's intro. I also have the superstars episodes that lead up to the event(snme too). I just don't know what could be on there besides having the event in DVD quality.

I'm for more matches myself. SNME's best matches is an instant classic although again I have most of the shows on videotape with the original intros. What I say is missing is the actual show intros.

So, for some reason the other day I decided I wanted to watch some wrestling again after not watching for nearly a year. Ever since I cancelled 24/7 back in August of 07 I haven't watched.

Well, I tried watching the current product. The fact I haven't watched it reguarly since 2004 meant I didn't know any storylines and who the heck anybody was except a few names. So I was lost. Then there was the fact that I felt what I was watching was total crap.

So, I decided to pick up some old DVDs since I really enjoyed Southern Style wrestling. So I got the Best of Starrcade DVD. It was awesome.

But, I'm wondering. Did they ever release or are there any plans to release a DVD with Wargames on it?

Also. I saw a few other DVDs I want. If anybody would be so kind as to rank them in the order of what has the best content and which you think I should get:

The Road Warriors DVD set (yeah i'd have to find it obviously), The new Ric Flair set (i have the first one), the new Steve Austin set, Best of SNME, the Roddy Piper DVD, the Jake Roberts DVD, the Hell in a Cell DVD (doesn't seem like it could really have too much), and the Heroes of WCCCW DVD.

Is that the WWE's version of World Class or the unofficial one you want? Given your preference for old school, I'd rank them thus:

1. Ric Flair: Definative Collection

2. Steve Austin

3. Best of SNME

4. Roddy Piper

5. Legion of Doom

6. Best of World Class

7. Jake Roberts

I'm partial to dvds with great matches.

Is that the WWE's version of World Class or the unofficial one you want? Given your preference for old school, I'd rank them thus:

1. Ric Flair: Definative Collection

2. Steve Austin

3. Best of SNME

4. Roddy Piper

5. Legion of Doom

6. Best of World Class

7. Jake Roberts

I'm partial to dvds with great matches.

The WWE version of WCCW.

Was the Roberts DVD not that good?

Does that Ric Flair DVD have repeats of matches from the original 3 disc set or is it all new?

Yeah I get nostalgic a lot. I remember fondly to my days as a kid enjoying WWF 92, WCW 96 and 97, WWF 96 and 97 the most. Maybe it was just where I was at those times in my life.

About the only new stuff I've really enjoyed was when I had 24/7. I enjoyed the Cena/Umaga Rumble match and whichever WM that was where UT and Batista wrestled. That was it on the new stuff really. Plus like I said I don't know anybody since I haven't followed reguarly for 5 years. So I'm lost on title changes, good matches, storylines and a lot of the wrestlers.

But from 04 and before when I was a mark and a "smark" I knew every storyline, the in's and out's, the title changes, who was who and just about everything you can know.

But, I'm more drawn to the 80's NWA stuff because I think I didn't watch it at the time. So it's like brand new to me. Yeah I know the basics and the feuds and who had the belts and what not. But, I've just read about a lot of that stuff and never actually seen it.

That's the beauty of the DVDs and 24/7. Some of this is like brand new to us.

And then the stuff I did watch and remember fondly like I mentioned above is a great trip down memory lane or sometimes you forget stuff and it's like new again.

I kind of wish WWE would release DVDs that are the Best of certain years. Like Best of WWF 1992. The DVD could recap matches, and angles from the year. Just do an hour long documentary covering the big stuff from the year and fill it with a ton of extras. They could do the same thing for WCW.

That'd be a big undertaking though.

With Ricky Steamboat finally getting inducted into the Hall of Fame, hopefully we can get a DVD set of The Dragon next year.

Was the Roberts DVD not that good?

I liked it. The documentary was sad, but powerful to watch. I wish it had been a 3 disc set though.

Does that Ric Flair DVD have repeats of matches from the original 3 disc set or is it all new?

All new.

I've always said that special edition DVD's of older shows, particularly the Wrestlemania's, would rock. Include clips from the TV leading up to the shows to explain the storylines leading up to the matches. Get some of the old guys in to record shoot commentary over their matches, etc.

PWInsider has confirmed that the Macho Man DVD will not be a documentary style DVD and instead will just be a series of matches hosted by Matt Striker.

This is fitting, given that Striker used to work an impersonation gimmick in 3PW (Blue Meanie's indy) and Macho was one of the guys he worked as.

Anyone know anything about the supposed Blu-ray release for this year's Royal Rumble? I see Silvervision has an April release date listed, but I haven't seen anything anywhere else, making me wonder if it's actually being released.

Oh, sorry. I only saw the image of the DVD cover.

Ah, I see what the problem was - I saw someone's comment about deluxe edition Mania DVDs and assumed it was old, but it was a reply. My mistake.

WWE has done the Complete *Insert Big Name PPV Here* DVDs. Have they considered doing it with things like Great American Bash, Starrcade, Slamboree, etc?

Because I sure wouldn't mind being able to get ahold of various WCW PPVs. Right now the only means of acquiring them is through.......*ahem* illegal means.

I just wish I could remember the name of that tape dealer that I used to get all my Puro from. You know, the guy that didn't have an actual website...you just had to e-mail him? Was it Lynch? Can anyone PM me his e-mail address? He started doing DVDs and I remember he'd sell you WCW/WWF PPVs if you asked, he just never advertised he had them.

Does he still sell?

Check your pms dude, I tried sending you a link to a good trader. I don't know if the message sent though.

yes he does i think thats all he does.

Is Goldenboy Tapes still dealing? The website is still up, but they haven't updated in a while. I mean WWE can provide awesome old school American DVDs, but a man needs Puro!