TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

2008: The Year in Music

I would take your word on that Magnetic Fields album, but you didn't like i, which was excellent, so you are not to be trusted in these matters.

I didn't even know it leaked yet. Send me a copy.

Dan upped it at the other place, though I don't know if the link is still any good.

I've listened to it three times now and eh...Merritt returns to the lo-fi aesthetic of the band's early work, but he buries everything in a layer of fuzz and distortion (hey, the album's title!) which I don't think helps any of these songs at all. Man, I love fuzz, generally, but it doesn't suit Merritt's material in the slightest.

Regardless, listen to that Mahjongg album I linked to in the first post. It's this extremely rhythmic bunch of jams played entirely on synthesizers and drum machines. Cool stuff.

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise
Best Bet

The debut full-length from Black Kids will be the album of the decade.

bruce.jpg

I'm on my first listen of the new Magnetic Fields, and I don't think it's very good.

I'd rather hear from someone who is not overly pretentious and has an open mind to what's out there.

Yeah, dude, where's the Green Day?

Best Bet

The debut full-length from Black Kids will be the album of the decade.

Sarcasm, I'm sure, but I'm relatively confident that with sound engineers involved they can pull off quite the album.

Oh, and according to the release calendar on metacritic, The Killers have a new CD in the fall. That probably will get pushed back to 2009, but otherwise you're talking another pretty good CD for the world to shit on.

And it also says Franz Ferdinand Early 2008, but I think it's a bit too late in the game for that to be accurate... but still out in the new year.

I'm looking forward to the Franz Ferdinand album.

Franz Ferdinand was quite a varied release, whereas You Could Have It So Much Better's songs all sounded fairly similar (still great though). Could the new album be where the musical growth happens?

I'd rather hear from someone who is not overly pretentious and has an open mind to what's out there.

Will Skid Row's third post-Bach album be on store shelves in the new year, Matt?

Is Dr. Dre's Detox album finally gonna come out?

I heard 08.

Also, hopefully the new Metallica will be good. Supposedly supposed to be 10 minute tracks.

But will it feature guitar solos

Chinese Democracy will be out this year. I swear.

If it does come out this year, I hope that they keep Buckethead's contribution to the album on it. However, keeping in mind Arsehole Rose's track record, he'll probably over dub the solos with his own solo on a kazoo.

Mahjongg - Kontpab (this is streaming at their label's website: http://krecs.com/mahjongg/kontpab/ )

Now that's pretty damn good.

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

Bruno Pronsato - Why Can't We Be Like Us?

Heavily rhythmic electronic album that still seems more suited to headphones than the dance floor. Given that a lot of my electronic music listening has been anywhere from downtempo to field recordings, it's cool to hear something as rhythmically driven as this. It flows really well from beginning to end, which is always a nice bonus. I'm a fan of "Who Is Sarah Stern" and "At Home I'm a Tourist," a nice little nod to Gang of Four in name only, if nothing else.