Motley Crue

Green Day

AC/DC

Def Leppard

Nine Inch Nails

Queen + Paul Rodgers

U2

Guns N' Roses

Other than U2, I have no desire to hear anything from any of those bands. Disturbed? AC/DC? ugh.

This Will Destroy You - s/t

An album from a post-rock outfit. This leaked a month or two ago, and it was very forgettable. There are guitars, they do things, no vocals, it just goes. Walk, don't run, to obtain This Will Destroy You. I had high expectations for instrumental guitar-oriented post-rock, too, after that Six Organs of Admittance from earlier this year.

I had a hard time getting worked up over the Ben Folds album coming out this summer (Tentatively titled Quest For Fire) after the mediocre Songs For Silverman. But he played 6 or 7 new songs at a recent show and someone posted clips on YouTube and they sound pretty good. Apparently, they're all about his recent divorce so hopefully he's back to being angry instead of sentimental and schmaltzy.

Errant Dog

Brainwashed

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

Aw, he divorced his wife? That totally ruins "The Luckiest."

ddollsa.jpg

I've lost a lot of respect for Ben Folds now, and I really mean that. His family songs on Rockin' the Suburbs were so heartwarming. Now "The Luckiest" is in the trash can with "Just the Way You Are," and now I just had to make a "Ben Folds = Billy Joel" remark. Thanks a whole fucking lot.

Bands supposed to release an album in 2008:

Metallica

Disturbed

Aerosmith

Motley Crue

Green Day

AC/DC

Def Leppard

Nine Inch Nails

Queen + Paul Rodgers

U2

Guns N' Roses

Other than U2, I have no desire to hear anything from any of those bands.

WE KNOW

I neither like nor care about Ben Folds, but I fail to see what's accomplished by judging him based on his personal life.

Just the fact that so many of his songs are of a personal nature and about real people, or something. Pay no attention to me, I get really retarded when I discuss Ben Folds.

Bands supposed to release an album in 2008:

Metallica

Disturbed

Aerosmith

Motley Crue

Green Day

AC/DC

Def Leppard

Nine Inch Nails

Queen + Paul Rodgers

U2

Guns N' Roses

I'll give the new Metallica a listen, as long as Rick Rubin was far FAR away during the production. I can't take another St. Anger.

About time Disturbed came out with a new album. They really haven't done a bad album yet.

Aerosmith, Motley Crue, and especially Def Leppard should be fun.

I see Green Day is sticking to their political-rock gimmick and waiting until the election year to release their new album.

Either Chinese Democracy will never see the light of day, or it comes out to negative reviews after not being able to live up to the hype, and Axl kills himself. I just want a studio track of that ballad-esque song they performed at the VMA's back in 2002.

I think Nickelback has a new album due out as well. They've always been a guilty pleasure of mine.

Have yet to listen to either one, but I've recently downloaded the following:

Atlas Sound - Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See but Cannot Feel

Hello, Blue Roses - The Portrait is Finished and I Have Failed to Capture Your Beauty

Both of which are early contenders for Worst Album Title of the Year. HBR is further knocked because the name is a reference to The Glass Menagerie. That really rubs me the wrong way. The doubly whammy of annoying band name and equally annoying album title would normally be enough to drive me away from ever checking it out, but Dan Bejar's involvement warrants a listen.

Ryan Adams' 5-disc box set 20:20 is coming out 08, God willing, since it was originally supposed to be out by the end of this year. I'm pretty sure it's all of his "lost" albums like The Suicide Handbook and 48 Hours, plus live tracks (hopefully including "Off Broadway" and "Peaceful Valley," which are rearranged and 200x better live) and cuts that weren't on Easy Tiger.

AND The Cardinals are writing/recording an album this year AND Ryan is planning a solo "old school crooner" album, which could be disastrous. Either way, I guess the speedballs weren't solely responsible for his insane output.

Does Black Kids have an EP out? I can't find it anywhere. But I heard a song from them and it is FUCKING AMAZING.

Yeah, I did a google search which led me to wikipedia, which led me to their myspace, which led me to their home page, which led me to their EP. It's fucking fantastic.

Oh, also The Cool Kids are probably going to drop something in 2008 as well. If not a full-length, more singles.

Ryan Adams' 5-disc box set 20:20 is coming out 08, God willing, since it was originally supposed to be out by the end of this year. I'm pretty sure it's all of his "lost" albums like The Suicide Handbook and 48 Hours, plus live tracks (hopefully including "Off Broadway" and "Peaceful Valley," which are rearranged and 200x better live) and cuts that weren't on Easy Tiger.

AND The Cardinals are writing/recording an album this year AND Ryan is planning a solo "old school crooner" album, which could be disastrous. Either way, I guess the speedballs weren't solely responsible for his insane output.

I'm nearly positive it will contain both the Freightwhaler and Bedhead Sessions as well.

I don't care if I am the biggest nerd on the block; I'm stoked for the Presidents of the United States of America's fifth full-length: These are the Good Times People.

I don't care if I am the biggest nerd on the block; I'm stoked for the Presidents of the United States of America's fifth full-length: These are the Good Times People.

Sign me up for that one too!

Either Chinese Democracy will never see the light of day, or it comes out to negative reviews after not being able to live up to the hype, and Axl kills himself. I just want a studio track of that ballad-esque song they performed at the VMA's back in 2002.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-hw-dgxlrjY

I don't want this to turn into another GNR thread, though. They never lead to anything good. So nobody except Haws bah gawd should comment on this post or reply to it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-hw-dgxlrjY

I don't want this to turn into another GNR thread, though. They never lead to anything good. So nobody except Haws bah gawd should comment on this post or reply to it.

Damn you are awesome. I'll have to rip that off Youtube later.

Sign me up for that one too!

Fair warning though: I don't know what to expect, since Dederer, the original guitarist, was for all intents and purposes replaced by the touring guitarist, who was promoted to a full-fledged member. Luckily, the frontman, Ballew, was always the principal songwriter, but lineup shifts usually spell disaster for groups I previously enjoyed.

There's a new album by The Mountain Goats. I've been enjoying John Darnielle's more recent work now that he's gotten away from the lo-fi aesthetic, which was just too distracting for me at times. Someone needs to cover "Cubs in Five" so that we have a copy of respectable fidelity to use as an anthem. PM me if you want it, I guess. I haven't even listened to it yet, but I'll post my thoughts here when I do.