TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

2008: The Year in Music

I am liking Hercules and Love Affair a lot more than I thought I would. Also, "Blind" may be one of my favorite songs of the year.

After a few listens, I'm ready to go on the record as saying Nas' "The Nigger Tape" > C3. Nice production, but this is one of the more cohesive albums I've heard in years and it's not even an album proper. With that said, I'm toying with the idea of buying C3 at Best Buy for a dime before the end of the weekend since I've come around on a lot of it. Though I'm still not ready to dub it a classic or anything like that.

QFE...Hero and Black Presidents are brilliant.

It is hard for me to buy anything but G-Unit since every album, hell most singles, since 2003 has seem to be weaker and weaker than the ones before it. It as if they are "Snoop" dogging it in the studio. Just lazy vocals on the same sounding beats. Sad thing is it took Snoop 10 years to get to the laziness that 50 got there in 3.

"I Like the Way She Do It" is ok for a single, but sounds more like a 50 track than a group track. "Rider p.II" is just god awful. Only bright side on this album is no Young Buck.

Eh, so far, I think the We Got It For Cheap Vol. 3 mixtape is the best hip hop album I've heard so far this year. I'll definately give The Nigger Tapes a listen soon enough.

It is hard for me to buy anything but G-Unit since every album, hell most singles, since 2003 has seem to be weaker and weaker than the ones before it. It as if they are "Snoop" dogging it in the studio. Just lazy vocals on the same sounding beats. Sad thing is it took Snoop 10 years to get to the laziness that 50 got there in 3.

"I Like the Way She Do It" is ok for a single, but sounds more like a 50 track than a group track. "Rider p.II" is just god awful. Only bright side on this album is no Young Buck.

Tha-Doggfather-Vinyl-LP.jpg

B000008UKN.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Nah, it didn't take Snoop long at all to get lazy.

The Unit's album is hot, the only weak song on it is "I like the way she do it", which isn't really a bad song. It doesn't fit with the overall theme of the album.

I can't even fuck with Fiddy & Co. any more. I actually felt embarrassed for 50 after seeing the video for the album's first single (the one in the solider uniforms). And now he's messing with that T-Pain voice distorter, which is legitimately one of the worst things to ever plague rap music.

Picked up the new Tech N9ne Killer, Atmosphere When Life Gives You Lemons..., Lil Wayne Tha Carter III, and Blu & Exile Below The Heavens yesterday.

Finally can see the appeal in Wayne, never got it... and the only time he had me before was with "I Feel Like Dying". I'll never just right the guy off again. Favorite song is probably "Dr. Carter". Shit is a magical concept.

Liked the Tech and Atmosphere albums... no big surprise.

The biggest surprise of all though might be Below The Heavens. I hope Blu blows up man... I love the feel of this album, like a fucking autobiography. After listening to this damn thing about three times while going through my day... I just really hopes he makes it big. Kid has his shit down. I want other hip hop/rap fans to give this one a listen... most of you won't be disappointed.

The new Bobby Digital album is pretty bad-surprising, I know.

The new Nas album has leaked. It's got some killer tracks ("Queens Get The Money", "Fried Chicken"), and some bad ones ("Hero", "Sly Fox") It's better than "Hip Hop is Dead", but I think I prefer "The Nigger Tape."

I'm late to the party, but The Cool Kids' Bake Sale is the all-in-fun rap album my summer's been missing. I'm not generally crazy about materialistic-driven lyrics, but it's a forgivable if said material goods are classic shoes with a lime color scheme.

I'm late to the party, but The Cool Kids' Bake Sale is the all-in-fun rap album my summer's been missing. I'm not generally crazy about materialistic-driven lyrics, but it's a forgivable if said material goods are classic shoes with a lime color scheme.

Bake Sale is dope. Got both Nigger Tape and Untitled earlier. Havent listened to the mixtape yet but I'm liking Untitled so far and I was never that big on Nas.

Zimmers Hole is tight. When You Were Shouting At The Devil...We Were In League With Satan is the closest thing we may ever get to another Strapping Young Lad album, but it's so nice in it's own right that I almost don't care. A few funny parts, but I really haven't listened to the whole thing enough times yet to let it all sink in. So far, I think this is the only album released this year I've actually gotten yet.

I;m late in the party here, and it's already been mentioned, but damn, the new album from Why? is impressive, especially considering I never cared for clouDead.

I'm not sure about Why? On the sampling of songs I've heard, they sound a little too much like those shitty rappers on "Where There's A Will, There's A Whalebone" from the first Islands album.

I went to KMart to buy Tha Carter III today. I realized that the only place to buy CDs in Frankfort are WalMart & KMart, & WalMart only sells edited rap albums. Anyway, they were sold out of the CD, but the guy in the music section ran out to his car and sold me a burnt copy for $5.

Anyway, I really like Tha Carter III.

Guest !!!

I can't think of what "These Few Presidents" reminds me of, but it's really good.

Not bad. However, after clicking around a bit on youtube, the song "Good Friday" is exactly the kind of terrible thing that formed my previous impressions. It appears most of the other terrible stuff I've heard is off their 2003 album Oaklandazulasylum.

Can't remember what thread the discussion was in and I'm too lazy to look but Feed the Animals is phenomenal. It's such a fun CD. I second the post (I think Edwin) who mentioned No Diggity/Flashing Lights but I also really enjoyed the Come On Eileen/Let Me Clear My Throat and also Boyz by M.I.A. mixed with a really familiar mid 90s song that I can't exactly place off memory. I had it on while I was painting before and so many little moments made me smile and start nodding my head but those are the three coolest.

Oh and Czech, Black Kids full CD is out. You should listen to it, ha. I love it, of course, but you'll probably want to shut it off about 3 songs in.

The Cranberries are mixed with M.I.A. The Big Country/Tag Team pairing gets me every time, too. On the same track, the audacity of Flo Rida with the Velvet Underground is also worth a spit take or two on first listen.

I was at a party last Saturday where we ended up with Feed the Animals and Night Ripper playing in full by 1 am or so. Best dancing of uncoordinated white people and honorarily white uncoordinated minorities I've seen in a while.

Yo not to be a humorless killjoy but I saw a review that called Girl Talk "the indie equivalent of Jock Rock Anthems 6" and I thought that was pretty spot-on.

FAKE EDIT: Here's the review in question. It sums up my feelings vis a vis Mr. Gillis pretty well, I think. At the same time, though, it's probably not really worth reading since, I mean, really, what's the point of reading a review of Girl Talk? Shit's totally straight-forward and basically critic proof in the way that eg a Nickelback or Creed album is critic proof--the music is so superficial/surface-oriented that if you enjoy it no amount of pointless critical hand-wringing wrt questions of "authenticity" or "aesthetic merit" or whatev is ever going to dissuade you from that enjoyment. It's just not meant to be engaged with in any deep/meaningful way and I don't even know why I'm typing all this shit about a record don't even care about so I'm just going to stop right now.