TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

Let's talk about Rex, Baby. Let's talk about you and me.

2007 NFL Coach of the year.  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the best?

• Romeo Crennel
    • Jack Del Rio
    • Tony Dungy
    • Jon Gruden
    • Dick Jauron
    • Mike McCarthy
    • Other-Please specify
  2. 2. Who's the worst?

• Brian Billick
    • Cam Cameron
    • Tom Coughlin
    • Marvin Lewis
    • Scott Linehan
    • Lovie Smith
    • Other-Please specify

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Thursday

PIT @ STL

Saturday

DAL @ CAR

Sunday- 1:00

KC @ DET

CLE @ CIN

GB @ CHI

NYG @ BUF

HOU @ IND

PHI @ NO

OAK @ JAC

4:00

ATL @ ARI

TB @ SF

MIA @ NE

BAL @ SEA

NYJ @ TEN

WAS @ MIN

Monday Night Football

DEN @ SD

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka

I voted for Jon Gruden as best and Marvin Lewis for worst. Gruden always gets a bad rap when his team has a bad season, and they say that he can't actually build a team up - he is only any good if you can bring him in when you've got most of the pieces already, and then he'll push you over the edge. I think this season should disprove that. He's got that team clicking.

Marvin Lewis is the worst because he allows Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh to abuse Carson Palmer, to openly scream at him and undermine any sort of leadership he might have on his team. Marvin has never done anything about the problems on this team. He let Chad Johnson throw a hissy-fit during the playoff game against the Steelers a couple years ago, during halftime. He continues to bring players onto the team who have no character and are criminal miscreants. They're a danger to society, and he would like them to play for his team.

By the way, why the hell is Tom Coughlin on the list of options for the worst coaches but Bobby Petrino isn't? Is it unfair since he quit? I could name a bunch of coaches worse than Coughlin, with Andy Reid and Joe Gibbs both being worse than him in his own division. Similarly, why is Tony Dungy on the list but not Wade Phillips?

I guess I disagree with the choices you provided. Nothing personal.

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

I voted for Dungy, because none of the other options were any good.

Romeo Crennel: whatever

Jack Del Rio: whatever

Jon Gruden: I actually get it, and don't use this to vote for overachieving team of the year

Dick Jauron: Dick Jauron is not a coach of the year

Mike McCarthy: I actually get it, and don't use this to vote for overachieving team of the year

Bill Belichick: cheater

The worst is Lovie Smith. Linehan and Cameron are bad, and they just hang around, being bad, but Lovie is stealing money with his stupidity. What an actively horrible coach. Just bad at his job in game, outside of the game, bad at assembling a staff, bad at everything, and to top it all off, he thinks he's smarter than us.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Crennel was my selection. The ability to recognize you have fuck-all at QB, draft a good bet to address that and a star tackle to protect your investment, then immediately jettison a shitty starter. The Browns really aren't that good; they have a lot of young talent that's maturing quickly, true, but developing that the way it has takes a great coaching staff.

I got Wade Phillips as the best cause he's 12-2 as a 1st year head coach and Brian Billick as the worst cause he lost to the dolphins. How do you lose to the dolphins? It would have been lovie smith for sticking with grossman for so damn long, but after losing to the pats at the end and crumbling under pressure, getting mashed out by the Colts and losing to the Dolphins, it's definitely Billick.

Best - McCarthy. To take a team, the youngest in the NFL, that was really floundering and having them on the verge of having the most wins of any Packer team is really impressive. Almost nobody was picking them to win the division, or even be competitive, because conventional wisdom just seemed so accurate this time. Of course, the improvements in December '06 were noticeable if you actually watch the games and the Bears' collapse was written pretty clearly on the wall. Now, Green Bay, despite the youth/inexperience/expert-predictions, already has a first round bye and a chance at homefield throughout the playoffs. They will probably have more Pro Bowl selctions than they have in about a decade. They have also managed to continue winning despite a ton of injuries. And, this year, Green Bay has won on the road in KC, Denver, Minnesota, St Louis, and Detroit...places where guys like Homgren and Sherman struggled badly.

I guess I just don't "get it"

Worst - Petrino, easy.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
I voted for Jon Gruden as best and Marvin Lewis for worst. Gruden always gets a bad rap when his team has a bad season, and they say that he can't actually build a team up - he is only any good if you can bring him in when you've got most of the pieces already, and then he'll push you over the edge. I think this season should disprove that. He's got that team clicking.

Marvin Lewis is the worst because he allows Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh to abuse Carson Palmer, to openly scream at him and undermine any sort of leadership he might have on his team. Marvin has never done anything about the problems on this team. He let Chad Johnson throw a hissy-fit during the playoff game against the Steelers a couple years ago, during halftime. He continues to bring players onto the team who have no character and are criminal miscreants. They're a danger to society, and he would like them to play for his team.

By the way, why the hell is Tom Coughlin on the list of options for the worst coaches but Bobby Petrino isn't? Is it unfair since he quit? I could name a bunch of coaches worse than Coughlin, with Andy Reid and Joe Gibbs both being worse than him in his own division. Similarly, why is Tony Dungy on the list but not Wade Phillips?

I guess I disagree with the choices you provided. Nothing personal.

I omitted Petrino because he's no longer an NFL head coach.

I omitted Gibbs and Reid out of ignorance, admittedly. I'm not familiar with either team's intimate bits and pieces. (Other selection applicable.)

For the sake of brevity, I picked six for each question, and the top selections were mentioned in last week's thread, with Dungy as my addition. 12 wins each of the last five seasons? That's huge, and he's directly responsible for that, which is why I left Wade off. He had nothing to do with developing the 2007 Cowboys. They do this next season, you bet he's on this list, but this year, he's inherited a LOT of talent.

Coughlin is on there specifically because I don't like him, admittedly. Just look at the guy.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Crennel was my selection. The ability to recognize you have fuck-all at QB, draft a good bet to address that and a star tackle to protect your investment, then immediately jettison a shitty starter. The Browns really aren't that good; they have a lot of young talent that's maturing quickly, true, but developing that the way it has takes a great coaching staff.

I cannot give Crennel a good rating even as a Browns fan because he started Charlie Frye and drafted Brady Quinn (trading away next year's first round pick to do it) when he had Derek Anderson already on the roster, who as we have seen through the majority of this season is quite awesome at football.

He has no idea what he's doing, in my opinion. He's fallen backwards into success. His defense is terrible, and he's a defensive coach. What has he done to be considered any good? I don't get it.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Other than Petrino, who inherited the exact opposite of the Dallas Cowboys and completely crumbled in the face of it to the point of quitting with a Dear John letter like a total fucking pud, Marvin Lewis HAS to be the worst. He has no control over his team, and has a bunch of underachieving talent. Suck ass.

Yeah, Marvin is the worst behind Petrino. To be so bad with that much talent is inexcusable.

And talent is also why I couldn't say Tony Dungy the best. He's a good coach & I respect him and all, but his team is packed with supestars. Guys like McCarthy, del Rio, and Crennel are finding success with few big stars.

Belichek is coaching an all-star team, cheats, and is an annoying bitch.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
He has the fucking Browns in playoff contention.

He might have cost them the division by starting Charlie Frye in Week 1 and letting him go 4 for 10 with five sacks and an interception before yanking him. The guy has no idea what he's doing. He can't tell that Derek Anderson is better than Charlie Frye after an entire season and a preseason, and we're giving him credit?

Crennel is a defensive coach. The Browns' defense is horrible. If the Browns had a good defense they would be an absolutely incredible team instead of "in playoff contention." They are giving up defensively almost exactly as much as they are achieving offensively. If you asked me to vote on the best offensive coordinators I would pick Rob Chudzinski.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

The Browns HAD to move up to take Brady. They knew Frye was 2nd or 3rd tier at best, and Anderson was totally untested and didn't have much of a resume. They claimed the guy off waivers, and he performed OK at best last year. Only three starts, though. You can't hand the driver's seat to a third year sixth round pick claimed off waivers from a division rival.

He's a free agent next year, too. You're telling me he's the future in Cleveland?

The Packers are impressive this year, but I attribute their success to Brett Favre and his receiving corps more than Mike McCarthy.

Derek Anderson will be gone next year irrespective of the remainder of the Browns' season, and Brady Quinn will take over, for he is the chosen one. Then they'll go 6-10 and he won't be very good, but it'll be everybody's fault but his, just like Eli Manning.

I voted for Crennel and Billick, respectively. Billick has been unconscionably bad this year; taking the FG one foot away from the end zone against Miami is just the cherry on the shit sundae.

The Packers are impressive this year, but I attribute their success to Brett Favre and his receiving corps more than Mike McCarthy.

Favre came up with the 5-receiver strategy?

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
The Browns HAD to move up to take Brady. They knew Frye was 2nd or 3rd tier at best, and Anderson was totally untested and didn't have much of a resume. They claimed the guy off waivers, and he performed OK at best last year. Only three starts, though. You can't hand the driver's seat to a third year sixth round pick claimed off waivers from a division rival.

He's a free agent next year, too. You're telling me he's the future in Cleveland?

Yes, I am. I believe they should sign Anderson to a long-term extension and look to trade Quinn this off-season and draft a long-term backup in the later rounds.

I don't like Brady Fag that much anyway. Maybe they had to trade up and get him last year. But they don't have to start Charlie Frye in Week 1, and they don't have to let Anderson walk (back to the Ravens) and torture them while Brady Fag busts it up.

That Charlie Weis is a fucking genius, let me tell you. Those Patriots offenses were really high-powered back in the day, especially compared to now, and he's been nothing if not amazing for Notre Dame. I trust his judgment entirely.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Entire season? Anderson got three starts in '06.

And I guess he sat playing with himself in practice?

No one ever saw him throw or play other than the three starts?

Crennel just says "Alright #3, you're starting this week" without having seen him play in practice? Actually, that might have happened.

Anderson's college coach gave him a glowing draft recommendation for NFL teams. He also tried to get the Chargers to draft Tom Brady in 2000. Brady Fag has fat-ass failure Charlie Weis's recommendation. Who you gonna pick, the guy who saw Tom Brady as being awesome before he did it, or the guy who got an enormous head coaching contract because Tom Brady became awesome while he was the offensive coordinator?

Yes, I am. I believe they should sign Anderson to a long-term extension and look to trade Quinn this off-season and draft a long-term backup in the later rounds.

Why bother speculating? This guy is touted, he's Catholic, he's local, he's hot, he is the man for the job. Then he'll suck, because the Browns are stupid.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

The phrase "defensive" head coach is a fallacy, anyway. Tony Dungy's career was as a D-coordinator, and his franchise is squarely on the shoulders of a Heisman winning first pick overall superstar for ten years coach on the field hall of fame QB and pure offensive talent at every position from Left Guard on up. A head coach's job is to ensure that ALL phases of his team are winning.

I'm much more impressed with what Tony Dungy has done, and has been doing, than whoever's coaching Brett Favre. Sorry.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
The phrase "defensive" head coach is a fallacy, anyway. Tony Dungy's career was as a D-coordinator, and his franchise is squarely on the shoulders of a Heisman winning first pick overall superstar for ten years coach on the field hall of fame QB and pure offensive talent at every position from Left Guard on up. A head coach's job is to ensure that ALL phases of his team are winning.

Yeah, but all the credit for the offense goes to Peyton Manning and Tom Moore. Can we at least not give credit for offensive performance to coaches who don't call the plays, please?

I spawned a monster by pointing out the "overachieving team of the year" canard. Big sorries all around, pals.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Derek Anderson could end up being a one or two year wonder... no need for a long term deal now.

He could also get arrested this off-season for electrocuting dogs. What kind of logic is this? You sign awesome players to contract extensions. This is not complicated.