TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

Let's talk about Rex, Baby. Let's talk about you and me.

2007 NFL Coach of the year.  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the best?

• Romeo Crennel
    • Jack Del Rio
    • Tony Dungy
    • Jon Gruden
    • Dick Jauron
    • Mike McCarthy
    • Other-Please specify
  2. 2. Who's the worst?

• Brian Billick
    • Cam Cameron
    • Tom Coughlin
    • Marvin Lewis
    • Scott Linehan
    • Lovie Smith
    • Other-Please specify

I picked Romeo Crennel and Brian Billick. One did a lot with a little, the other did nothing with plenty. This is how I determine these things. Marvin Lewis was a close second, and I'm wondering if they're not going to have to implode that team and start over.

Ignoring the provided list for a second, who's your coach of the year, Czech? No one? Alternate universe Bears coach?

Guest My Pal, the Tortoise

Tony Dungy. I said this already, and voted for him in the poll. The guy runs the best team in football that doesn't cheat.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
I picked Romeo Crennel and Brian Billick. One did a lot with a little, the other did nothing with plenty. This is how I determine these things. Marvin Lewis was a close second, and I'm wondering if they're not going to have to implode that team and start over.

Ignoring the provided list for a second, who's your coach of the year, Czech? No one? Alternate universe Bears coach?

They're going to have to choose between #85 #84 and #15 or #9, in my opinion. Determine the direction of your franchise. Are you going to be a bunch of belligerent, hot-dogging miscreants or are you going to be professionals?

I figure if Marvin sticks around they'll pick the receivers and let Palmer go.

I THINK THEY SHOULD HIRE JUNE JONES TO RUN THE RUN AND SHOOT.

If the Redskins somehow sneak in with a wildcard position, then it would validate all the Joe Gibbs naysayers.

One attribute for Joe Gibbs is that he has his team playing their best football in December. Even when they are not a particularly good team, they don't give up on him and they keep fighting.

In 2005, the team was 5-6 and won out to make the playoffs. This season the team ended up 5-7, and is now 7-7, with two tough games ahead and while the odds are not in their favor, it would still be a pretty good job for the team to finish 9-7.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Entire season? Anderson got three starts in '06.

And I guess he sat playing with himself in practice?

No one ever saw him throw or play other than the three starts?

Crennel just says "Alright #3, you're starting this week" without having seen him play in practice? Actually, that might have happened.

Anderson's college coach gave him a glowing draft recommendation for NFL teams. He also tried to get the Chargers to draft Tom Brady in 2000. Brady Fag has fat-ass failure Charlie Weis's recommendation. Who you gonna pick, the guy who saw Tom Brady as being awesome before he did it, or the guy who got an enormous head coaching contract because Tom Brady became awesome while he was the offensive coordinator?

Practice and Starting the Game are two WAY different things. Given what's been shown this season, of course the Browns should re-sign Anderson, I'm not arguing at all that the guy is good, but at draft time early this year, there was no evidence to suggest Anderson would be having a great season. In five total games he threw 5 tds and 8 ints. He was good enough in practice to get the start IMMEDIATELY when Frye shit his shorts. That's a good coaching decision.

It's not like Anderson did much better that game, anyway.

One attribute for Joe Gibbs is that he has his team playing their best football in December. Even when they are not a particularly good team, they don't give up on him and they keep fighting.

Doin' it for the Sean-ference

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
Entire season? Anderson got three starts in '06.

And I guess he sat playing with himself in practice?

No one ever saw him throw or play other than the three starts?

Crennel just says "Alright #3, you're starting this week" without having seen him play in practice? Actually, that might have happened.

Anderson's college coach gave him a glowing draft recommendation for NFL teams. He also tried to get the Chargers to draft Tom Brady in 2000. Brady Fag has fat-ass failure Charlie Weis's recommendation. Who you gonna pick, the guy who saw Tom Brady as being awesome before he did it, or the guy who got an enormous head coaching contract because Tom Brady became awesome while he was the offensive coordinator?

Practice and Starting the Game are two WAY different things. Given what's been shown this season, of course the Browns should re-sign Anderson, I'm not arguing at all that the guy is good, but at draft time early this year, there was no evidence to suggest Anderson would be having a great season. In five total games he threw 5 tds and 8 ints. He was good enough in practice to get the start IMMEDIATELY when Frye shit his shorts. That's a good coaching decision.

It's not like Anderson did much better that game, anyway.

I still fail to see why we're giving credit to someone for starting a guy who would shit himself in the first place when he had Anderson and Superstar Brady Quinn too.

I spawned a monster by pointing out the "overachieving team of the year" canard. Big sorries all around, pals.

Yeah, why give credit to a team being coached so well that they are achieving way beyond expectations when you can just pick out a popular coach with a team of superstar talent?

Guest Tzar Lysergic
The phrase "defensive" head coach is a fallacy, anyway. Tony Dungy's career was as a D-coordinator, and his franchise is squarely on the shoulders of a Heisman winning first pick overall superstar for ten years coach on the field hall of fame QB and pure offensive talent at every position from Left Guard on up. A head coach's job is to ensure that ALL phases of his team are winning.

Yeah, but all the credit for the offense goes to Peyton Manning and Tom Moore. Can we at least not give credit for offensive performance to coaches who don't call the plays, please?

My point that you failed to grasp is that a head coach is responsbile for each facet of his team. Going back to our central example here, if Crennel was supposed to be a great defensive coach, why wouldn't he just be a defensive coordinator right now? The Browns don't have any killer defensive talent; they have young big play skills players and a talented free agent RB in a personal renaissance. He's making the most with what he has and is in contention to take the division title. A tough division, mind you. Baltimore was a 2 seed last season if memory serves, Pittsburgh is good, and the Bengals have tons of talent and an awful coach. Just because he has a defensive B-squad doesn't mean he's a bad coach.

Who's your vote, anyway?

EDIT: Gruden. Missed it.

Dungy gets credit for keeping the team rolling despite a potentially crippling number of injuries this year. And he's finally gotten that defense around to being the strength of the team.

Maybe I'm missing the point of this poll, but it seems vary narrow and in the mold of "what have you done for me lately?" to call Crennel the best coach in the NFL or Billick the worst. Shouldn't we factor in track record and overall preparation and weigh in more heavily than a season that went awry because of a few bad performances?

Belichick and Dungy are the two best coaches in football and have been for the past 5+ years. They've won in different ways and with changing groups of players. Jauron isn't the best coach of anything and Crennel was an abject failure before he Derek Anderson saved his ass.

Billick and Lovie should be immediately discounted from this analysis, as they actually built teams that made it to the Super Bowl. Coughlin has consistently put a good team on the field for sevearl years now. What was the criteria for this poll?

There's certainly nothing wrong with Dungy. He's very successful, definitly a good coach, can work past injuries, has integrity and doesn't cheat like the other big-name AFC coach. But he has so much experienced talent at his disposal. McCarthy has the youngest team, a recently struggling (very badly) team, and has had just as good a year (also, despite injuries plaguing them).

To completely discount him because you don't ike the team is not really "getting it"

There's certainly nothing wrong with Dungy. He's very successful, definitly a good coach, can work past injuries, has integrity and doesn't cheat like the other big-name AFC coach. But he has so much experienced talent at his disposal. McCarthy has the youngest team, a recently struggling (very badly) team, and has had just as good a year (also, despite injuries plaguing them).

Well, it's not like those guys just happen to live in Indianapolis. Dungy helped build that team.

Come on, cheech, it's coach of the YEAR not of the decade or career.

Yeah I guess so, but I have a hard time making an absolute judgment on the quality of a coach based on the way the ball bounced in 14 games. Everyone ends up voting for the coach of the team that outperformed their expectations the most. How much or how little that performance actually has to do with coaching seems to be an afterthought.

To completely discount him because you don't ike the team is not really "getting it"

That's, what, five times you've said that in the thread? Point = proven! Me = shown!

Yet again, I am not discounting what Tony Dungy has done this year or any other year. But when you have two teams having simliarly successful seasons in the face of numerous injuries, you might want to find something to differntiate the two. Do you want to vote for the more established name coach living up to the potential of his stacked team? Or, give credit to a younger coach, with a younger team, achieving way beyong preseason predictions with a less-famous roster?

I picked the guy that's doing a lot with less over the guy that's doing a lot with a lot.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Mike McCarthy is as good an argument as anyone.

My top five:

1. Romeo

2. McCarthy

3. Dungy

4. Gruden

5. Del Rio

One last word on Dungy: Despite the Super Bowl Gruden won and the (scattered) success he's had in Tampa since then, I will never forgive the Glazers for firing Tony Dungy. I'm almost (but not really) glad that he's embarrassed us the two times we've played the Colts since he's been there.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Probably competitive games this week with playoff implications:

Giants @ Bills

Eagles @ Saints

Skins @ Vikes.

Also, which of these teams will choke?

Pittsburgh

Dallas

Cleveland

Green Bay

All four have something to lose, and all four are playing on the road.

Best - Bill Belichick, they're 14-0 and look like they're two layups away from a perfect regular season.

Worst - Brian Billick, although Coughlin will take his place if the Giants fail to make the playoffs after a 6-2 start after backdooring their way in last year after a 6-2 start.

I voted for Crennel and for Billick. Billick has been a complete dolt this season and losing to the Dolphins was the last straw. Petrino inherited a truly horrid situation and didn't do much with it, but the whole Vick debacle forces me to give Petrino a slight break. Crennel is an easy pick to me, regardless of whether he started Frye for one game. Hell at least he yanked Frye and didn't try to keep a jobber in there despite him sucking (unlike Lovie Smith).

Thursday

PIT @ STL: Having seen the Rams in person, they really, really blow. If the Steelers lose this one, they might lose the division. Steelers by 10.

Saturday

DAL @ CAR: I think Dallas will lose one of the last 2, but not this one. Dallas by 7.

Sunday- 1:00

KC @ DET: Oh lord, what a matchup here. I guess the Lions will get a win to break this losing streak. Lions by 12.

CLE @ CIN: I just picked Romeo Crennel as coach of the year, and now I will pick against his team. It's a rivalry game and I can't seem to learn my lesson with Cincy. Bengals by 3.

GB @ CHI: Kyle Orton is starting right? Green Bay won't lose to the Bears twice. Packers by 14.

NYG @ BUF: Amazing that the Bills are 7-7, but the Giants need a win in this one. NYG by 4.

HOU @ IND: The Colts have nothing to play for really but I don't see them resting everyone in this particular game (next week maybe). Colts by 7.

PHI @ NO: The Eagles are out of it and the Saints need the win. Saints can't afford to lose here. New Orleans by 6.

OAK @ JAC: People are starting to overhype the Jags once again, but they should dispatch the Raiders easy enough. Jags by 9.

4:00

ATL @ ARI: The Falcons might get the vote now for the worst team in the league. Cardinals can't possibly lose here, can they? AZ by 13.

TB @ SF: Niners got a win this week, which was shocking. But I can't see them doing it again against Tampa. Bucs by 10.

MIA @ NE: Miami blew the amusement of this game by winning one. Patriots will of course stomp them badly. NE by 21, then Belichick starts resting some people.

BAL @ SEA: The Ravens have to be done and while I don't think much of Seattle they won't lose this one. Seahawks by 14.

NYJ @ TEN: Titans still have some life so they should be ready for this one. Tenn. by 8.

WAS @ MIN: Redskins are a baffling team and so are the Vikings in some ways. But the Vikings are at least on a roll right now. Minn. by 7.

Monday Night Football

DEN @ SD: The Broncos suck and the Chargers are on a nice roll right now. SD by 17.

Guest RyechnaiaSobaka
The phrase "defensive" head coach is a fallacy, anyway. Tony Dungy's career was as a D-coordinator, and his franchise is squarely on the shoulders of a Heisman winning first pick overall superstar for ten years coach on the field hall of fame QB and pure offensive talent at every position from Left Guard on up. A head coach's job is to ensure that ALL phases of his team are winning.

Yeah, but all the credit for the offense goes to Peyton Manning and Tom Moore. Can we at least not give credit for offensive performance to coaches who don't call the plays, please?

My point that you failed to grasp is that a head coach is responsbile for each facet of his team. Going back to our central example here, if Crennel was supposed to be a great defensive coach, why wouldn't he just be a defensive coordinator right now? The Browns don't have any killer defensive talent; they have young big play skills players and a talented free agent RB in a personal renaissance. He's making the most with what he has and is in contention to take the division title. A tough division, mind you. Baltimore was a 2 seed last season if memory serves, Pittsburgh is good, and the Bengals have tons of talent and an awful coach. Just because he has a defensive B-squad doesn't mean he's a bad coach.

Who's your vote, anyway?

EDIT: Gruden. Missed it.

I don't even know if Crennel would be in the NFL right now if he wasn't the DC of the Patriots when they got super good. He's been on everyone's worst coach list since he got the job, and he was in definite danger of being fired this year if things did not go well, but now he's the best coach because he fell backwards into the right decision at quarterback that has somehow managed to move them forward by more yards than they've given up, and them boys have given up a lot this season.

Belichick and Billick respectively. Belichick because 14-0 is 14-0 and the reason his team is so talented is because he's an integral part of the FO along with Scott Pioli; he wasn't just handed these guys. Billick the worst because his team is incredibly undisciplined and the playalling has been nothing short of atrocious at times (see the NE game and Miami game as perfect examples).

Guest Tzar Lysergic

That's a LOT of adversity for a coach to deal with, and he's done admirably. What has Gruden done differently this year, other than let eternal journeyman Jeff Garcia win him some games they lost last year? Seems like a similar situation.

Since its mention is inevitable, does Miami pull off the biggest regular season upset in memory?

Linehan is certainly worth mentioning, but I don't think anybody could have done much with the 2007 Rams, once the injured linemen started piling up on the sideline. If anything, the current putridity of the Rams is more of a byproduct of a front office that doesn't know its own ass from a hole in the ground.