TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - January 2008

Sweet, I get to see the April 12, 1993 Raw again. I have the last couple minutes on tape, and I remember how my mom was amused by the catfight when they replayed in on Superstars.

Just downloaded and watched various parts of Black Saturday. It's obvious Vince loved the phrase "and in from there". Interesting to see all the matches held from actual arenas rather than the typical studio wrestling w/ 100 fans. For some reason, I just can't get into watching studio wrestling (unless it's a major angle or something like that).

And boy o boy was it weird to see Monsoon and Heenan kind of get along during the 3/15 Raw. The only ep where I found Bartlett to be legit funny. That Vince impression was brutal but entertaining, especially how Monsoon was getting irritated by it . . . "STOP!"

Guest sandwich
Does anyone else have a price tag of $8.99 on the HHH Raw debut (instead of the usual "free with subscription)? I watched it and when the 24/7 bumper started it said, "Thanks for your order." I imagine it should be no problem to get it removed if I do get charged, but I find it amusing that it was HHH of all people.

Also, Shorties host Santino says before the HHH match starts that the career of HHH's opponent "John Chrystal" should be "coming along any day now" or similar. Am I crazy in thinking that John Chrystal is actually a younger Santino? We only get 1 good shot of his face at the start of the match, but damned if it doesn't look like Santino. But a quick Wiki search doesn't corroborate this idea at all (esp. since the match was almost 13 yrs ago).

Also, what are the chances that canceling 24/7 and then re-subscribing in a few days would actually make for the "2 months free" promotion?

I think it was more of a jab at the clearly jobbish John Chrystal rather than it being him from years ago. I like Santino though as a host, he's pretty funny in some of these.

Guest krash9924
Does anyone else have a price tag of $8.99 on the HHH Raw debut (instead of the usual "free with subscription)? I watched it and when the 24/7 bumper started it said, "Thanks for your order." I imagine it should be no problem to get it removed if I do get charged, but I find it amusing that it was HHH of all people.

Also, Shorties host Santino says before the HHH match starts that the career of HHH's opponent "John Chrystal" should be "coming along any day now" or similar. Am I crazy in thinking that John Chrystal is actually a younger Santino? We only get 1 good shot of his face at the start of the match, but damned if it doesn't look like Santino. But a quick Wiki search doesn't corroborate this idea at all (esp. since the match was almost 13 yrs ago).

Also, what are the chances that canceling 24/7 and then re-subscribing in a few days would actually make for the "2 months free" promotion?

I think it was more of a jab at the clearly jobbish John Chrystal rather than it being him from years ago. I like Santino though as a host, he's pretty funny in some of these.

I don't know. My wife and I have watched that three times now and we are convinced that John Chrystal is in fact Santino. The best time to get a good look in right after triple H is announced. A lot of the same facial features.

The never wrong wikipedia says Santino debuted in 2004, not 1995. I am LOVING the way he's hosting these Shorties, though.

"HHH came along and showed more talent than anyone since Sal Bellomo!"

"Hunter may make a great king, but he'll never be the King of Kings" - Lawler from the May 12th Raw. That amused me.

Hey, does anyone remember Championship Wrestling from Florida? I wonder if those will ever come back.

And then from there, I wonder if AWA episodes will ever air without a host.

And then from there, I wonder if I'll care? I don't really miss these things - I don't think I even watched the last few CWF episodes they put up.

the black sat show was weird to see. Not only did they keep the same intro music but the same video clips of nwa wrestlers. I can understand why people were pissed though. thats like tuning into Raw and seeing TNA matches instead I guess, though clearly the implication is much different now. the new ecw episode was pretty good too. weird to see all this stuff with Woman, since they have erased you know who from memory. that douglas/dreamer vs raven/richards match looked pretty good form the clips.

watching all the shorties too, fun stuff.

watching the debut of primetime now. who is jack reynolds? Rds cousin? (side note, the new wrestlecrap book of lists just came in the mail today and an dmy quick look at it, its awesome)

Another WCW PPV on 24/7, another "let's do nothing but talk for 10-15 minutes before doing a match". WCW sure loved doing that, eh?

Black Saturday was a funny show. The WCW theme playing was just too weird. Did you see the for Mel Phillips was sporting? How about the arms on Joey Marella? Edge, Christian, and Trish's (among others) trainer getting squashed by Iron Sheik seemed no different than any other squash on the JCP shows. It also has to be said the double team move that Adonis and Murdoch used to win their match was awesome.

MNW: That tag match on Nitro with Hugh Morrus and Ice Train was so bad. Ice ALWAYS seemed out of place and confused and the ending with Hugh being like "screw this Moonsault" and not doing it was the icing on the cake. Not Bradshaw/Trish vs Nowinski/Jackie bad (is anything?), but really a brutal tag match for live TV.

I was really into Raw (and even Nitro!) this week though. I don't know, this was one of my favourite eras so I'm digging the Austin and Bret promos, and Faarooq made me laugh with all his black champion talk. Seeing RVD do the frogsplash then IMMEDIATELY get up is a weird visual too... it was also a bit weird that Hat Guy could be seen in the audience at the end of the RVD match, way off near the ramp during a camera pan. He was probably happy to have made the trip.

I forgot about the crickets chirping during Umaga's debut. I mean, he couldn't even pick up heat killing Ric Flair...fucking smart ass Chicago fans. Fortunately, he got better later.

Guest krash9924

Bash at the Beach 94 was an interesting take on the WCW direction for the future as older WWF stars are featured heavily meanwhile over on the WWF side Summerslam 94 feature a lot of youth. Is that Bill Dundee I see with Regal? Austin-Steamboat is the only match on the show worth watching.

I sometimes forget much I loved the Bossman/Vader feud. 2nd turnbuckle sunset flip by Vader!

Haha, Cactus Jack and Kevin Sullivan coming out to Tori's theme is pretty funny.

Bash at the Beach 94 was an interesting take on the WCW direction for the future as older WWF stars are featured heavily meanwhile over on the WWF side Summerslam 94 feature a lot of youth. Is that Bill Dundee I see with Regal? Austin-Steamboat is the only match on the show worth watching.

You're right... that is Bill Dundee with Regal.

Guest WWE247FanaticSeries

I still don't have the Monday Night Wars for this week.

watching the debut of primetime now. who is jack reynolds? Rds cousin? (side note, the new wrestlecrap book of lists just came in the mail today and an dmy quick look at it, its awesome)

Jack Reynolds was a wrestling announcer from the Cleveland area.

That Raven/Stevie vs. Dreamer/Douglas match was pretty good but illustrated the serious problem that ECW had with a tag match. We had guys doing crazy hardcore stuff, beating each other with foreign objects, Cactus runs in....yet then this settles into the heels working over Douglas with Dreamer in the corner begging for the hot tag, they do a false tag, etc. How can you do this sort of formula when it's well established there are no rules?

I don't really miss the Florida shows. Ironically the only thing from those I enjoy is the goofy Sullivan satanist gimmick.

I got a big kick out of the "Cruising for Chicks" van the Freebirds did their interview in on the latest edition of World Class.

Jack Reynolds was a wrestling announcer from the Cleveland area.

thanks

and yea Bill Dundee was Regals manager "Sir William" from 93-94

Just downloaded and watched various parts of Black Saturday. It's obvious Vince loved the phrase "and in from there". Interesting to see all the matches held from actual arenas rather than the typical studio wrestling w/ 100 fans. For some reason, I just can't get into watching studio wrestling (unless it's a major angle or something like that).

And boy o boy was it weird to see Monsoon and Heenan kind of get along during the 3/15 Raw. The only ep where I found Bartlett to be legit funny. That Vince impression was brutal but entertaining, especially how Monsoon was getting irritated by it . . . "STOP!"

I always liked the studio shows. Just something about it that I dug...

sadly I just found out that my cable company that recently switched to Comcast is dropping WWE 24/7 *cries*

Guest Smues
Raw: Stone Cold & Dude Love vs. Owen Hart & British Bulldog

July 14, 1997 | Approx. run time: 10 mins.

Stone Cold Steve Austin had challenged Owen Hart and the British Bulldog to a Tag Team Title Match on Raw. Originally, it seemed like Stone Cold didn't have a partner and he'd be wrestling in a Handicap Match. After a few minutes of unfamiliar music hit, Mick Foley's character of Dude Love was born. Find out if the unlikely team of Dude Love and Stone Cold Steve Austin were able to capture the Tag Team Championship.

Oh FUCK YES!

sadly I just found out that my cable company that recently switched to Comcast is dropping WWE 24/7 *cries*

As Mean Gene used to say on Coliseum Video openings, "if you don't see it, ASK FOR IT". Comcast already has 24/7 in other markets, so why not yours? Let them know you want to ride the Video On Demand train straight to Wrestlingville.

As Mean Gene used to say on Coliseum Video openings, "if you don't see it, ASK FOR IT". Comcast already has 24/7 in other markets, so why not yours? Let them know you want to ride the Video On Demand train straight to Wrestlingville.

on a whim this morning I check it and it updates (albeit missing the Chief Jay Strongbow HOF bio) I call to re-subscribe, the lady told me they were gonna drop it but decided to add it back since so many people want it

Finally got a chance to watch the Black Saturday show. I can see why it wasn't a success. I'll give the WWE credit for admitting that during the opener. Still, a very rare and interesting show to have seen. Plus, you get Brian Blair and Iron Shiek on the same show! ;)

One thing though...who the hell was the "Russian" Alexis Smiroff? That guy had the worse fake Russian accent I ever heard.

It's not quite on the level of Kane's theme played on the cello but I liked the remix of the Sad Goldust music on Raw.

I hope next motnh we'll get the Kane/Lita wedding as it was so much better than Edge/Lita's. How can you beat Kane in a white tux, his music played on the cello, the music changing according to Kane's mood and a wall of fire ?