TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - January 2008

Did he yell "MEATBALL" when giving Tito a press slam?

And I also like what I've seen of Hogan's early arrogant heel stuff as well. I also think he was a bit better worker back then.

Worth noting, courtesy of the "10 Years Ago in the WON" articles on WO.com:

Best Promotion: New Japan Pro Wrestling. Runner up: All Japan Pro Wrestling.

(For the record, WCW finished 3rd, ECW was 4th, WWF was 5th).

And here this whole time I thought the smarks loved The Fed, all wondering how Nitro kept winning each week, concluding Turner had used his money to rig the ratings. Actually, now that I think about it, that doesn't sound "smart" at all. Either way, funny to think considering how often the comments in here are about how poor Nitro has been in 1997 compared to Raw.

Montreal was still fresh in in the minds of everyone at that point (January 1998). The WWE was in the biggest of holding patterns from November 1997 until March/April 1998 as they waited until they could crown Austin champion at Wrestlemania.

Yeah, I figured it was possible that some people may have been voting anything but WWE due to being disgusted over Montreal / Melanie Pillman being dragged on TV (winners of "Most Disgusting Promotional Move" to boot).

Mid-Month Update for 24/7 Online:

Raw: Episode 13, April 19, 1993 | Approx. run time: 45 mins.

Following a challenge made on the previous Raw, Money Inc. takes on The Beverly Brothers in tag team action. Also, catch Razor Ramon, Tatanka and Bam Bam Bigelow in singles matches. Finally, Bret Hart gives his first in-ring interview since his loss to Yokozuna at WrestleMania. Check out this huge episode of Raw.

Raw: Episode 14, April 26, 1993 | Approx. run time: 44 mins.

A new era begins on Monday Night Raw. Exit Rob Bartlett and welcome Bobby "The Brain" Heenan as part of the announcing team. However, Heenan might be nervous because Lex Luger put his undefeated streak on the line against Crush. Also, Shawn Michaels has an exclusive interview as he discusses his Intercontinental Title defense the following week against Hacksaw Jim Duggan.

Raw: Episode 15, May 3, 1993 | Approx. run time: 41 mins.

The only two Superstars on the Raw roster today who were also part of WWE in 1993 square off in this episode. Shawn Michaels defends the Intercontinental Title against "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan. Also, Doink the Clown takes on a very young X-Pac (as the Kamikaze Kid), and The Headshrinkers are in action. Don't miss this classic Raw.

Raw: Mankind vs. The Rock, January 4, 1999 | Approx. run time: 14 mins.

This might be the most historical match during the Monday Night War era. WCW thought it would be a good idea to give away the results of the main event of a taped episode of Raw. This idea turned very bad for WCW as a huge chunk of their audience turned the channel. Not only is this one of the most important matches in Mick Foley's career and the history of Monday Night Raw, but it might involve the loudest crowd reaction ever for a match. If you've never seen Mankind challenge The Rock for the WWE Championship, then you have to check this match out right now!

Raw: The Return of DX, June 12, 2006 | Approx. run time: 13 mins.

Mr. McMahon was determined to make Shawn Michaels and Triple H's life a living hell. Back in June 2006, Triple H was placed in a Gauntlet Match against all five members of the Spirit Squad. When it looked hopeless for The Game, Shawn Michaels came out for the save and DX was reborn. Catch one of the most memorable moments in Raw history.

Raw: The Last 24/7 Hardcore Title Defense, August 19, 2002 | Approx. run time: 7 mins.

The Hardcore Title is one of the most unique championships because it could be defended at any time with the 24/7 rule. When Eric Bischoff became the GM of Raw, the 24/7 defenses ended. However, to be fair, Eric Bischoff invited every Raw Superstar who was a previous Hardcore Champion to compete in a a 6-minute Battle Royal. The rules were simple; the last Superstar to score a pinfall in that 6-minute period was the undisputed Hardcore Champion. With such Superstars as Bradshaw, Tommy Dreamer, Stevie Richards and Terri, this is guaranteed to be the craziest 6 minutes ever!

Raw: Chris Jericho vs. Jeff Hardy, February 10, 2003 | Approx. run time: 14 mins.

Chris Jericho and Jeff Hardy wanted to prove themselves in WWE for two entirely different reasons. Jeff Hardy was tired of being considered just one half of The Hardy's and was hoping to score a big victory on Raw. Chris Jericho on the other hand wanted to send a message to his WrestleMania XIX opponent, Shawn Michaels. With both Superstars having a lot to prove, who would come out on top?

Raw: Edge vs. Randy Orton, July 19, 2004 | Approx. run time: 15 mins.

Randy Orton had lost the Intercontinental Championship to Edge one night earlier at Vengeance. The Legend Killer had held onto his title for nearly eight months, and wanted the title back. Orton cashed in his re-match clause as soon as possible. However, Edge had recently returned from neck surgery and didn't plan on losing the Intercontinental Title an time soon. With a victory on both Superstars' minds, who would walk out the Intercontinental Champion?

Raw: John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels, April 16, 2007 | Approx. run time: 43 mins.

When Shawn Michaels took on John Cena in a WrestleMania 23 re-match in London, nobody expected them to wrestle for nearly an hour. Check out for the first time on WWE.com what J.R. calls on of the greatest matches in Raw History and what WWE Magazine ranked as the best match on free TV in 2007.

G-TV: Every Raw Moment, January 1, 2008 | Approx. run time: 15 mins.

WWE fans can recall back in 1999 a random secret camera popping up on Raw with a "G-TV" logo on it. These videos were relatively short and always revealed a deep dark secret or embarrassing moment for random WWE Superstars. Whether it was Mark Henry having bad gas or Eddie Guerrero in the shower with some of the Godfather's hoes, you never knew what to expect on G-TV. To this day nobody knows who was behind the camera or if it will ever return, but for the first time ever, catch every G-TV video from Raw.

I realized the other day they're not archiving these Raws or IC Title Histories anywhere when the link to the monthly line-up goes away.

Also I'm going to have to look into that Edge/Orton match being "the night after Vengeance". I was in DC when they had a great match, but I was at home to watch Vengeance at a movie theatre. It had to have been the week after, or is a completely different match.

Edit: Yep, Vengeance was July 11th.

Yeah, they are shoddy at best archiving this stuff. However, each video stays on their server so I add every video (well just the 750K ones) to the Windows Media Player library and rename the files so everything is in chronological order. For example:

2002 9-26 No DQ - Edge vs Eddie Guerrero - Smackdown

2002 10-20 World Championship - HHH vs Kane - No Mercy

2003 2-10 Jeff Hardy vs Chris Jericho - RAW

Real interesting six-man tag match in Legends. Chief Strongbow, Andre the Giant, and Billy White Wolf vs. Bruiser Brody and the Executioners. The Executioners were Killer Kowalski (50 years old) and a young John Studd. Billy White Wolf is better known as General/Sheik Adnan.

If someone could convert the Brody match (and other 24/7 online exclusive stuff like the uncut July '93 HBK-Jannetty) to DVD, that would be awesome.

If someone could convert the Brody match (and other 24/7 online exclusive stuff like the uncut July '93 HBK-Jannetty) to DVD, that would be awesome.

I just have the VOD version, we have a dvd burner downstairs but I never tried it before, usually I VHS the interesting stuff. PWTorrents often picks up the content so someone there might have it in a day or two.

Does PWT have the Online stuff or just the VOD? I have the VOD service w/ my cable but no online sub.

Usually just the VOD stuff. I think it is difficult to make good copies of the online product, if even possible at all. Streaming video has some issues, but the folks in the Computers folder would know more about that than I would.

Guest Dolfan483

Well i was hoping i would be the lucky one and not have anything go wrong with my 24/7 but for the 1st time im missing most of the shit. I have the new Shorties and the new HOF stuff but im missing the debuts of Raw and Nitro, the MNW, PTW (which is my favorite, im VERRRRY pissed about that), the ECW on TNN and the Old School from MSG. I sent a Email to my cable comapny so if you guys could just squezze a prayer in for me so i can watch these shows, id apreciate it.

Ernest Miller! Now we're cooking, Nitro. To be fair, the kicks he did (and Kanyon's selling of them) looked pretty cool.

Ooooh, a "major star" set to debut in June in Las Vegas! It's not Stevie, is it?

Just watched the first ever Raw on 24/7 and it's quite the fun little show even today. Most of it is jobber squash stuff, but HBK/Moon is a good match. That said, 15 years later Rob Bartlett's commentary is beyond horrible. Is it just that I was 13 back then and ignored him or didn't care?

Watching Mongo and Rick Steiner in the ring is pretty bad, everything just seems sloppy. Rick looked like he gave Mongo a shoulder tackle but Mongo just stood there and Rick did some weird spin. The top rope bulldog spot was bad too, but what do you expect. This Nitro has been fairly unspectacular.

Well this is what I get for looking forward to a main event involving an nWo member. The ending of Nitro was kinda cool though.

Lushus should be happy with the wheelchair superkick footage that opens Raw.

Guest tdel73
Well i was hoping i would be the lucky one and not have anything go wrong with my 24/7 but for the 1st time im missing most of the shit. I have the new Shorties and the new HOF stuff but im missing the debuts of Raw and Nitro, the MNW, PTW (which is my favorite, im VERRRRY pissed about that), the ECW on TNN and the Old School from MSG. I sent a Email to my cable comapny so if you guys could just squezze a prayer in for me so i can watch these shows, id apreciate it.

this happens to me sometimes and I find if I reboot my cable box the updates appear.

Guilty Pleasure: I LOVE Bob Holly's New Generation era music, and I get to hear a lot of it on this episode of Raw.

I didn't realize this was the Mankind interview episode. The dramatic theme remixes for these things are tremendous.

Guest Nitro 24/7
Ernest Miller! Now we're cooking, Nitro. To be fair, the kicks he did (and Kanyon's selling of them) looked pretty cool.

Ooooh, a "major star" set to debut in June in Las Vegas! It's not Stevie, is it?

I think thats when Raven debuts.

Yeah, Curt Hennig AND Raven both appear, apparently

Asshole Lawler cracks me up during these Raws. He was such an ass on commentary about Dakota, but I laughed ("The stork probably got arrested for carrying dope"). It was also nice to see the progression of Rock - he did the at that time transition move but future Rock Bottom, a picture perfect "Hurricane" DDT (which he couldn't seem to execute at all in 1998, but it appears to have a lot to do with how your opponent positions himself too), and a nice crossbody. That sure was a dazzling debut for Scott Taylor against Leif Cassidy.

I have no idea how Rob Bartlett made it 8 episodes. He's awful.

I can't remember but was there any sort of followup on that May 19th Raw with the RVD/Lawler/ECW storyline? It can't say much for the angle when I can't recall much about it after the debut, but then RVD was roughly a year away from being a major star in wrestling.

The weird aspect of that Bartlett crap is that they removed Heenan for him! Who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to remove Bobby Heenan and hire a lame, unfunny comedian who was annoying and knew nothing about wrestling?

I can't remember but was there any sort of followup on that May 19th Raw with the RVD/Lawler/ECW storyline? It can't say much for the angle when I can't recall much about it after the debut, but then RVD was roughly a year away from being a major star in wrestling.

Not in WWF, but ECW had a big feud.

Is the Stone Cold RAW debut the debut of him on RAW period, or the 1st time as Stone Cold? I don't know when he dropped "The Ringmaster" but he had it for certain at the Rumble that year ('96).

Also, I missed Santino's debut in the Shorties. Given that he is the host this month, was his intro to his own debut anything particularly good?

Not in WWF, but ECW had a big feud.

There is a brief segment from the commentary table where, as they recap the previous weeks RVD debut, Lawler expresses unhappiness over Paul Heyman putting legal action in place to keep Van Dam off Raw. I'm pretty sure him and King wrestle the Headbangers on an episode of Shotgun though.

zappa: For whatever reason, Austin's debut is not against Matt Hardy as the Ringmaster but against Savio Vega as Steve Austin, so I guess Ringmaster doesn't count.

Oh yeah, props to MNW for it having the "Sunny days" promo.

The Nitro debut is pretty great. Look for my review on WO.com within 2 weeks.

As for Shorties, which showed up today for me, I guess they decided The Ringmaster's Raw debut didn't count so they went with Steve Austin's debut against Savio. The spot where Savio goes for three arm drags but Austin doesn't walk into the third one, causing Vega to leap into the air and spin around before landing on the mat is AWESOME. It just looks so silly that it rules.

As with 2 weeks ago, Santino's intros are great. "Y2J was supposed to be the greatest thing since Antinio Rocca".

Guest Dolfan483

Cabe company had a problem getting the new content up, but all is good now.

Did anyone else notice Heenan giving the finger,perhaps by accident, on Primetime?

Guest WWE247FanaticSeries

I hate Comcast. It won't let me view the 24/7 stuff even when I DO have a subscription! JIPPERS!