TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - January 2008

Hooray, 24/7 is possibly listening to suggestions I made months ago! Raw and Nitro are being split up into separate halves for MNW episodes next month. The Sunflower schedule is a bit odd to read because they've written "STANDARD" next to every program, I don't even know what that means. Definition? Another weird thing is that when they air Survivor Series 2007, they have the option to pick individual matches as well.

There's also a house show from 1997!

Outside of Clash 1 and my love of the regular program line-up, I'm not feeling next month. Maybe this month spoiled me. There are a few things "off" about Sunflower's schedule - are they REALLY airing a Raw one week after a full MNW episode (now split in two) without the Nitro? Why is Savage/Elizabeth's wedding being put up by itself in week 2, then again with the week 3 Shorties update? These are things we'll have to wait and see.

I'd love to be a part of this.

Watched the first Nitro and first RAW. The first Nitro is great, really hooks you into the show.

The first RAW....not so much. Barlett was funny in small doses, but he's awful. You can tell Vince and Savage quickly grew tired of him

It's a good thing because you don't have to watch it all at once anymore, and can pick which you want to watch first, IMO. As far as the 6/9/97 Nitro not being on the list, maybe they want to make it so that they show a Nitro one week, and a RAW the next? Maybe they'll put that Nitro up on the 27th.

As far as the schedule goes, the beginning of the month isn't so hot, outside of Clash I. The end of the month (really the middle) looks much better, with the Pillman documentary, St. Valentines Day Massacre, a Florida show, and Survivor Series, plus whatever the PYBO is. The end of the month is going to have a TON of stuff I want to see.

BTW, that '97 show from MSG has a Vader/Taker casket match.

I'm all for breaking them up too. At this point, all I want to check out from the MNW is Raw.

The St. Valentine's Day Massacre was a damn good card.

I noticed too that Heenan appeared to be giving the camera the finger. Just watching the Heenan/Monsoon interaction is gold. Liked the bit with Heenan enthusitically agreeing that Orndorff was a Benedict Arnold and you could actually see the spit flying from his mouth when he was ranting about him.

Also an interesting bit is the match where Dibease payed a jobber $5,000 to wrestle for him and the jobber lost.

Just watched the first episode of Nitro and it was pretty damn good. Thought that Sting/Flair was terrific and the Mall of America was a pretty cool place for a wrestling so. Of course, I'm sure WCW wasn't charging for attendence. Although they created great setting, Bischoff had a very stupid tendancy to have PPVs in places where they couldn't charge for tickets like Sturgis and the beach. He cost WCW a lot of money that way.

Venk, why are they splitting up Raw and Nitro, and why is that a good thing?

King already covered the basics, but the other reason - which hasn't been noticeable for the past 2 months due to the 4 one-hour episodes of Nitro - is the shows (at least for me, and I've heard other say the same) show a lot of video distortion when they're over 3 hours, especially towards the end. This would have become even worse when Nitro jumps to 3 hours (and it would take a long time to watch).

I just noticed they ARE showing Parts 5 & 6 of the Ladder Match DVD, but in February, meaning they're showing all 3 discs. I figure with the amount of Benoit matches on it it was being cut down, but now that I think about it, he's only in two matches (vs. Jericho and MITB 1), right?

Just watched the first episode of Nitro and it was pretty damn good. Thought that Sting/Flair was terrific and the Mall of America was a pretty cool place for a wrestling so. Of course, I'm sure WCW wasn't charging for attendence. Although they created great setting, Bischoff had a very stupid tendancy to have PPVs in places where they couldn't charge for tickets like Sturgis and the beach. He cost WCW a lot of money that way.

That annoyed me to no end. He'd do things such as having a major PPV like "The Great American Bash" in Moline, Illinois (No offense to the fine citizens of that town), but then do Nitro at the United Center in Chicago the next night.

Watching the TNT show on 24/7. Thank god David Shultz slapped John Stossel and got himself blackballed, because his Memphis-style cheap heat is really tiresome.

I loved that Dr. D segment! I remember me and my cousin, both around nine or ten, feeling sorry for his wife and kids and it's funny to watch now, 24 years later, and see that neither the kids or the woman could keep a straight face most of the time. I wonder where Dr. D. could have gone in the WWF. Him against Hogan had potential. Even Shultz and Piper. Had the guy not got into the altercation backstage with Mr. T, which did him in more than slapping Stossel, he could have been Stone Cold twelve years earlier for all we know.

I hear Schultz is a bounty hunter now.

Just watched a little of the first Royal Rumble. Haven't seen it since the premeire. Found something funny during the Hogan/Andre contract signing. During the Bret/Yoko contract signing leading up to WM9, Yoko attacked Bret and Tunney quickly left the ring. He does the same thing during this one. Hogan lunges for Dibease, Andre bounces Hogan's head onto the table and flips it over. Meanwhile, Tunney is quickly bolting from the ring. Found it funny that during an era where no one (save for Bad News Brown) put their hands on the WWF president, Tunney would do nothing when a brawl broke out in front of him.

Bartlett isn't funny at all; what are you talking about, Bob? He's a hack with a bag of one-liners and bad impressions. I honestly couldn't finish the episode because he was so irritating. He has that boisterous approach where everything he says is underlined with, "Hey, I'm so funny!"

Watched the '88 Rumble for the first time since 2001, so I'll post thoughts on that later. I just came by for now to say fuck a Rob Bartlett.

He was bad, but I remember laughing at one or two things he said. The Tyson bit was terrible.

Happy Heterosexual Goldust is awful, it's just killing his heat

Guest Bigelow34
When does Forever Unchained Goldust come about? November?

It may be late October I believe. I think it is a couple weeks after Pillman died that they do the sit down interview where he dumps Marlena. I know he has the F-U on his face at Survivor Series.

Well, they certainly made up for the lack of Flair the past 2 shows cause he was all over this NWA show. Had the notable debut of the title belt, and a really embarrassing interview with Ron Garvin where he compared Flair to Hitler and Manson. He might a bit of a douche, Ronnie, but aren't you getting a bit carried away here?

During King's interview with the father and son, he said the son's name was Eugene. Obviously these two were "actors" but there was talk of how Eugene's gimmick was inspired by a real life handicapped, I just found weird that they would name him Eugene. Was there any timeframe mentionned in the Eugene story ?

Regal was just awesome on Nitro : Kills Iaukea with a reverse suplex, slaps him in the face while putting on the STF and, after Prince tapped, spits on his back. Why was Regal never seriously pushed outside of his original commissionner run? He had an occasion in 2004 after his great promo on HHH leading up to Summerslam but it never got anywhere. Is there a law against Regal getting over ?

During King's interview with the father and son, he said the son's name was Eugene. Obviously these two were "actors" but there was talk of how Eugene's gimmick was inspired by a real life handicapped, I just found weird that they would name him Eugene. Was there any timeframe mentionned in the Eugene story ?

I was actually wondering this same thing.

When the WWE was trying to get Bruno Sammartino to work with the company again in 2004, Bruno made reference to a disabled kid who used to hang around in the locker rooms and said he hoped they didn't base the character on him.

Guest shadylpete

TWO BENOIT SIGHTINGS! Both in the Ladder Match Pt. 3, during the Guerrero/Van Dam match. Theres 2 quick two-second close up shots of him the crowd, watching the match.