TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

College Hoops: January '08

Yeah, now they can run the table in the regular season, be undefeated and the top overall seed....and lose in the Elite 8 once again.

Don't mind me though, Bob. I'm just bitter that my guys blew a 14 point lead to SETON HALL tonight and lost. U of L should have just stayed in C-USA, I swear. At least there are plenty of jobbers to squash there, even if it does nothing to get someone ready for the tourney.

That was a good game yesterday, I watched it before going to see the US take on Sweden at the Home Depot Center.

Davon Jefferson is better than OJ Mayo, and always will be. That's all. I'm still not convinced that Mayo is even NBA-ready.

Mayo is definitely not NBA ready but there's still no chance he sticks around for a second year.

TV Schedule for the Week of 1/21 - 1/27

MONDAY

Syracuse at #9 Georgetown, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

#12 Texas at Oklahoma State, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

San Francisco at Gonzaga, 11:59/8:59 PM, ESPN

TUESDAY

Michigan at #11 Wisconsin, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

#3 Tennessee at Kentucky, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

WEDNESDAY

Iowa State at #2 Kansas, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Georgia Tech at N.C. State, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

THURSDAY

#4 Duke at Virginia Tech, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Seton Hall at Providence, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

#10 Michigan State at Northwestern, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

#8 UCLA at Oregon, 10:30/7:30 PM, FSN

SATURDAY

Gonzaga at #1 Memphis, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

Connecticut at #7 Indiana, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, CBS

#18 Texas A&M at Oklahoma State, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, ESPN

Southeast Missouri State at Murray State, 3:00 PM/Noon, ESPN2

Washington at Arizona, 3:00 PM/Noon, FSN

#11 Wisconsin at Purdue, 4:00 PM/1:00 PM, ESPN

UNLV at San Diego State, 4:00/1:00 PM, Versus

Utah State at New Mexico State, 6:00/3:00 PM, ESPN2

#9 Georgetown at West Virginia, 7:00/4:00, ESPN

Creighton at Southern Illinois, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

USC at Oregon, 9:00/6:00 PM, FSN

SUNDAY

Michigan at #10 Michigan State, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, CBS

Georgia Tech at Virginia, 4:30/1:30 PM, FSN

#4 Duke at Maryland, 6:30/3:30 PM, FSN

Well at least Michigan gave it a great effort (which is about as good as I can hope for this season).

Manny Harris is the real deal though.

Kentucky played really well tonight. They have to be taken seriously when they play at home.

Good for me though. Duke moves up to #3 in the AP polls. Where they should have been in the 1st place.

Looking ahead to the draft, who are some good PG's and big men coming out? My team is probably looking to have a pick in about the 8-16 range. Provided they don't trade it away again, of course.

USC's Mayo may have violated NCAA rule by accepting free NBA tickets

LOS ANGELES -- Southern California freshman standout O.J. Mayo might have violated an NCAA rule by accepting free tickets to Monday night's NBA game between Denver and the Los Angeles Lakers from Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony.

Mayo told reporters Tuesday he had received the tickets, which were located behind courtside seats near mid-court at Staples Center and had a face value of $230 each.

"We don't know the specifics of the situation and won't be able to comment," NCAA spokesman Erik Christianson said Wednesday in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

USC sports information director Tim Tessalone declined comment on behalf of the university.

NCAA bylaw 16.11.2.2.3 states that student-athletes may not receive "free or reduced-cost admission to professional athletics contests from professional sports organizations, unless such services also are available to the student body in general."

The NCAA could consider Anthony a friend who gave Mayo the tickets rather than a representative of the Nuggets, perhaps making the matter legal by NCAA standards.

Mayo, averaging a team-leading 19.7 points and 4.6 rebounds, said Anthony made the offer of tickets at a party he hosted Sunday night.

"I was talking to him like, `Man, you're out pretty late. You've got a game tomorrow night against Kobe [bryant],"' Mayo said. "He said, `Nah, it will be all right.' And then he asked, `You want to come to the game?' And I was like, 'Sure.' "

OJ Mayo needed to show that he had what it takes to win, in overtime tonight. He did. From our season looking dead prior to the UCLA game, we now look to be in good shape heading toward the rest of conference play.

I was hoping WVU could pull that one out against Georgetown since that would move U of L into a 1st place tie at 5-2. Of course if U of L hadn't blown it against friggin CINCY this wouldn't be a problem.

TV Schedule for the Week of 1/28 - 2/3

Arizona/UCLA on Saturday will be the first Pac-10 conference game on ESPN since 1995.

MONDAY

Louisville at Connecticut, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Oklahoma at Oklahoma State, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

Cal-Poly at Pacific, 11:00/8:00 PM, ESPN2

TUESDAY

Ohio State at Penn State, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

VCU at George Mason, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

#7 Tennessee at Alabama, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

WEDNESDAY

Virginia at Maryland, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Cincinnati at West Virginia, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

#10 Texas at #23 Texas A&M, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

THURSDAY

Boston College at #4 North Carolina, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

Providence at Notre Dame, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

#11 Indiana at #13 Wisconsin, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

N.C. State at #3 Duke, 10:00/7:00 PM, ESPN2

Arizona at USC, 10:30/7:30 PM, FSN

SATURDAY

Syracuse at Villanova, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

Maryland at Georgia Tech, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN2

#18 Pittsburgh at Connecticut, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, CBS*

Kentucky at Georgia, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, CBS*

Oklahoma State at Texas Tech, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, ESPN

Rider at Siena, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, ESPN2

#14 Stanford at #9 Washington State, 3:00 PM/Noon, FSN

#2 Kansas at Colorado, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

Miami at #3 Duke, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

South Alabama at Louisana-Monroe, 4:00/1:00 PM, ESPN2

Arizona at #5 UCLA, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN

SUNDAY

#4 North Carolina at Florida State, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, FSN

By matter of attrition Stanford jumped to #14 to both polls this week and that officially makes them overrated. They have no non-conference or road wins against anyone currently in the RPI Top 50 and with a home win against Arizona being their only win against the RPI Top 25. I much preferred them being on the outer edges of the Top 25 where they've been most of the year but enough teams in front of them have been losing the last couple of weeks. They can justify their ranking if they sweep the Washington schools on the road but I'll be happy with a split.

What's the scoop on Kenneth George from UNC-Asheville? Does he have any shot at all in the league?

Well I graduated from UNCA in '06 and I remember he didn't get much PT at the time because he was really bit by the injury bug for a couple of seasons, IIRC. It's obvious that when you're that big, carrying that much weight on your hips and knees can cause a lot of stress. I guess there is a possibility someone in the league would take a chance on him, but he can't run the floor so he would have a much harder time keeping up in the NBA, though he didn't do too bad against a run team like Carolina. I don't know, I think there are a lot more questions about him than answers, we'll see how he finishes out the year.

On a similar note, yes this dude is that big, but he doesn't attract as much attention as you'd think. Really quiet and laid back, ALWAYS had some headphones on; if he wasn't 7 foot freaking 7, that would probably be his trademark, "that dude who always has the headphones on."

Joy, now Memphis is the only undefeated team in college hoops. Oh well, let them go undefeated and be like UNLV in 1991...though I don't guess anyone would really be shocked if Memphis lost in the tourney.