TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Prophet of Mike Zagurski

WWE General Discussion - January 2008

Guest LuckyLopez

Am I the only one who presumed that was a stupid tongue in cheek joke column from a dork making fun of another dork who apparently took what look like good nature shots at him in his book and a really stupid list from a really stupid magazine? That list seems like it has to be designed to be as equally poorly assembled and selective as the WWE magazine one.

Disco is just bitter because he's pretty much the only big name of the last 15 years or so not named Sting to never get any kind of run in WWE, nor even be offered the opportunity and turn it down. I always found Disco to be entertaining, and would have like to see him get a brief comedy run in WWE, he wasn't a terrible worker, and it was a funny gimmick. The story I always remmeber hearing was that he was originally going to sign in 1997 and be brought in as Honky Tonk Man's protege, but decided in the end to resign with WCW, and ended up on Vinces shit list forever as a result.

According to Raven, Glenn got in the buisness because of Honky Tonk Man and Raven created the Disco Inferno gimmick for him, only Glenn never put enough effort in it for it to get really over.

Disco is here to bust on Jericho...

Receipts: My Response To Jericho & Killing WCW

01/10/2008 by Glenn Gilbertti

In the future I won't be as nice as I was this week to the man that besmirched the good name of the guy that introduced him to the mother of his stupid kids.

He needs to get his ass kicked just for that. You don't bring somebody's kids into it.

Disco is just bitter because he's pretty much the only big name of the last 15 years or so not named Sting to never get any kind of run in WWE, nor even be offered the opportunity and turn it down.

Since fucking when?

I got this from Gerweck. They didn't credit where they got it from.

There has been a lot of talk lately about the new WWE Films movie which should be start filming at the end of this month in New Orleans, LA. Titled '12 Rounds', the movie features John Cena in the leading role and is directed by Renny Harlin, the same man who directed movies such as Deep Blue Sea, Cliffhanger and Die Hard 2.

The plot is about a detective - played by Cena - whose girlfriend is kidnapped by a crime lord and forces him to go to twelve rounds around the streets of New Orleans to get her back.

Yeah, in The Marine, Cena's girlfriend also gets kidnapped!

Midnight Sun Pictures and The Mark Gordon Company along with WWE Films are the production companies and FOX Atomic will be distributing. While Cena's first film was the most successful for WWE, this movie will be going straight to DVD when it is released. With John Cena out for a few more months with his arm injury it made perfect sense to film this movie while he's not having a wrestling schedule at the same time.

At least this time they've got a real director. Not a GREAT one, Renny Harlin did Cutthroat Island, but at least he's got some good credits to his name. For all the previous WWE films, they've hired some absolute nobody to do it, and hey what a shock they all sucked. So it might not be AS bad as The Marine.

Ratings went up during the Diva Search.

Thus, once and for all disproving any theories about a kind and loving God.

I have to admit I laughed my ass off at Renny Harlin sinking down to directing a WWE film. Guys like Scott Wiper or John Bonito didn't direct anything notable before their WWE outings, but they also didn't bankrupt a studio.

Disco Inferno was a harmless gimmick, definatley didn't boost or declinde any of WCW's ratings.

And wasn't the next WWE movie supposed to be a western starring Triple H?

I just read a report on prowrestling.com that Big Show is set to return soon.

If they hire Robert Patrick as a Cajun speaking Crime Lord, I'll be first in line.

Robert Patrick hamming it up for an hour and a half while John Cena just walks around and does NOTHING makes for an outstanding film.

That movie would have sucked hard if Patrick had taken his role seriously in the slightest. But he didn't, so it's a great film.

Disco is just bitter because he's pretty much the only big name of the last 15 years or so not named Sting to never get any kind of run in WWE, nor even be offered the opportunity and turn it down. I always found Disco to be entertaining, and would have like to see him get a brief comedy run in WWE, he wasn't a terrible worker, and it was a funny gimmick. The story I always remmeber hearing was that he was originally going to sign in 1997 and be brought in as Honky Tonk Man's protege, but decided in the end to resign with WCW, and ended up on Vinces shit list forever as a result.

In his YouShoot interview, Honky Tonk Man said Savio Vega was originally slated to be his protege' before they went with Billy Gunn.

I liked Disco in WCW. He was a perfectly competent and more often than not, entertaining comedy wrestler but man, these blogs are turning him into the new Tom Zenk. But I still love The Boogie Knights!

There's only so much you can say about a guy whose father you can see getting his ass beat in hockey fights on YouTube. In the future I won't be as nice as I was this week to the man that besmirched the good name of the guy that introduced him to the mother of his stupid kids.

That's just going way too far.

Disco was never close to being a big name.

On the Raw15 show where the crowd barely made a peep for all the nostalgia acts and even some of the current ones, they went fucking crazy for Hornswoggle. First time I've ever heard a crowd chant his name.

And all the Disco-to-WWF talk started when they ran one of their "Informer" pieces of the magazine speculating on Honky Tonk Man's new protege shortly after Disco disappeared from WCW TV. It had a silhouette of John Travolta from Saturday Night Fever and speculation that Honky's new guy was going to "burn the mother down," a line that was used in Disco's WCW theme.

Disco was never close to being a big name.

Disco was never a main eventer to be sure, but he was a well established mid-card act throughout most of WCW's peak in popularity, he wasn't huge, but he was just a guy who was consistently around. My point anyways is that he and Sting are pretty much the only 2 established names in this country I can think of from the mid-90's on never to work for Vince McMahon. I guess you can throw Alex Wright and New Jack on that last as well, but they at least wanted to bring in New Jack for the first ECW PPV, and Alex Wright probably would have gotten a shot if he hadn't moved back to Europe.

I don't get all the hornswoggle hate. The dude obviously understands his role as a comedy piece. He's never going to win a major belt, he is used to pop the crowd. If you ask me he's done his best to turn chicken shit into chicken salad. It's kind of admirable...if they had used someone else the angle would have been killed long ago. Sure, it's stupid fodder, but we need some of that on the show. I'd rather see the cartoon shit that's moderately ridiculous than really horrible acting from anyone else on the undercard. They are playing it up as a farce, and it doesn't insult fans because it is so ridiculous. I enjoy the diversion.

So, Hornswoggle spraypainting a tunnel on a wall and magically running through it is only moderately ridiculous?

If your age is in double digits, Hornswoggle is not being marketed to you. In comparison to football, he's the WWE mascot like the divas are the WWE's form of cheerleaders and the wrestlers are WWE's 'players'.

Why does Pro Wrestling have to be so realistic? It's ment to entertain people, so what is Hornswoggle is a comedy act. He's over, get over it. He's a hit with the fans so he should be used with the fans often.

Why does Pro Wrestling have to be so realistic? It's ment to entertain people, so what is Hornswoggle is a comedy act. He's over, get over it.

That's all well and good, as long as you happen to be one of those fans who's entertained by him. If you're anything like me, and you actually want to like WWE but can't stand shit like that, well... it's like a form of punishment...

Guest The Big Wiggle

I know it's more fun to be outraged over the washed-up WCW comedy act lashing out at Internet darling Chris Jericho, but that entire column was dripping with sarcasm from start to finish (and was hilarious).

Why does Pro Wrestling have to be so realistic?

It doesn't have to be 'realistic' as such, but it helps to be able to suspend your disbelief over what's going on, and it's impossible to do that with Loony Tunes-style 'comedy' such as spray painting a hole onto a wall and running through it. Something so beyond belief doesn't even fit into something as inherently wacky as professional wrestling.

It's ment to entertain people, so what is Hornswoggle is a comedy act.

It entertains a vocal minority, sometimes a majority, but so does a lot of stupid stuff that wouldn't belong, for a variety of reasons, on a wrestling show.

He's over, get over it. He's a hit with the fans so he should be used with the fans often.

He's so 'over' that his segments perform the most poorly of any pushed member of the roster, losing viewers just about every time, and WWE had to pre-tape his training skit for the Great Khali match because they knew people would crap all over it.

It's good to see the myth of the pop lives on.

It's what the WWE always does. The Gooker, Katie Vick, Vince is exploded...there's always some "OK, this didn't really happen, what the fuck is this" angle going on in the company.

It compares to the Roger Rabbit movie. Sure, we adults know Eddie Valiant isn't smacking the shit out of a cartoon rabbit, but the kids don't know that. If you choose to look at it as "Psh, this is so green screened and fake" then it's going to suck for you, but if you say "Well it's fake, but at least the acting's good and they're telling a story I can actually give a shit about" then it's going to, at the very least, suck less.

Face facts, the guy is three feet tall. If you don't go with nonsensical bookings and theft from cartoon, you're going to either bury the biggest angle of 2007 or you're going to bury every worker he works with. If those workers lose through nonsensical bullshit means they get buried less. Getting pinned by a midget is a career crippler, but if it's just bullshit you can say "Well they were just fucking around because Hornswoggle had to do something"...and if you want to shoot about it, how many wrestlers train for cartoon spots? How many wrestlers train to wrestle someone a third their size?