TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Prophet of Mike Zagurski

WWE General Discussion - January 2008

I can't imagine RAW without the Titan Tron.

Hopefully they'll have some sort of Titan Tron.

it just wont be the god awful paralellagramatron..

Im actually envisioning the new set looking something like the SNME set.

link to high res photo of the set not lit up

really big tron, with the side panels, light up entrance way..and where the SNME logo is is where they could put the RAW/ECW/Smackdown logo. It wouldnt be that amazing but it would work within the confines of having to work for all 3 shows.

Anyone with Directv can get USA and Sci Fi in HD, and its believed the number of directv HD customers is between 2 and 3 million give or take.

CW might be the bigger hold up, as only 11 (mostly major) markets have a CW affiliate in HD.

Not true.. the market I'm in is small(Little Rock) and our CW station is in HD.

#57 out of 210

The Rochester NY CW has CW HD. Is this another small market that's in HD or is your number just off? Our Tim Warner doesn't have USA or Sci-Fi HD though. No matter. Smackdown!

Also, say I download an HD version of a WWE torrent- will that actually make a difference on a computer resolution or not? I think that was the question brought up earlier but I didn't see it addressed enough in a way that answered the question.

I get USA HD and CW HD via QAM tuner on my tv, so I'm pretty excited about next week. USA HD is one of the best looking HD channels out now. Sci-Fi HD doesn't show up on my channel scan list, but Comcast has it. I'd rather not pay the extra $5 for the box and another $8 for the channel package it comes in.

You know what I just realized..if they do any more SNME (which should be a given due to the writers strike and lack of programming) SNME would be in HD on NBC.

Quite honestly, the WWF is moving towards being a leader in HD broadcasting, having programs potentially aired on 4 networks (USA/Sci Fi/CW/NBC) plus HD PPV and distributed on Blu Ray. There is a market for this and people with HD tvs will watch WWE programming even if they've never watched wrestling before because its in HD (especially given lack of new hd programming due to writers strike)..they might capture a few new fans with this. Its sort of a shame they no longer do any syndicated shows cause that would be an interesting test since syndicated HD isnt taking of so fast.

the next question - when does 24.7 go HD?

I'm a Time Warner victim, I'll most likely give them a call tomorrow to see if there's any possibility about getting the CW/USA/SciFi in HD soon.

I read they'll be adding them over the next 18 months.

It will take at least 5 years to even have enough HD filmed content for a 24/7 HD.

Anything shot on film has more resolution than even HD so its possible that they could convert most of their library to HD, although it would be a painstaking process and by the looks of some of their library footage, the picture qualtiy has detoritated to the point where an expensive digital restoration would be required, and in some instances the quality was piss poor to start with but it could still be cleaned up. Not a cheap task and I doubt it would happen anytime soon, but its the logical next step, especially if Vince is considering what to do to preserve the library.

I wouldnt see it out of the question to have a Wrestlemania HD Box Set out because that would probably be worth their time and money to do a full digital restoration into HD, and as a bonus it wouldnt require so many discs.

The picture quality of the torrent will be better but the size of the files will be large. I once captured House in HD and it was over a gig for the entire show.

There will be black bars around the picture unless you have a widescreen monitor.

Anyone with Directv can get USA and Sci Fi in HD, and its believed the number of directv HD customers is between 2 and 3 million give or take.

CW might be the bigger hold up, as only 11 (mostly major) markets have a CW affiliate in HD.

Not true.. the market I'm in is small(Little Rock) and our CW station is in HD.

#57 out of 210

You mention only 11(mostly major) had a CW station in HD.. with my market having a CW station. I'm sure there are more than the amount you stated.

I already called Insight cable and they had no idea about USA or Sci Fi in HD, bah. Doesn't HD have to be offered on all channels by next Jan. though?

No. All analog signals will be dead next Feb. which means if you get your local channels via antenna, you'll have to get a new tv or a converter box( the government will give you $50 to buy one) If you have basic analog cable, that won't die until 2012. If you have digital cable without a HD package, nothing will change at all. If you have basic cable and a tv that has a QAM tuner, you can get all your local digital channels that way.

Switching to digital doesn't automatically make programming HD, but it's a noticeable difference in picture quality. I watch Raw live on the USA digital channel while recording it using the analog channel and the difference is huge.

About the torrent file size for HD shows, for a 48 minute HD show encoded in divx, the file size should be around 350MBs

I'd only get HD / Blu-Ray discs for RAW / SD seasons, Wrestlemanias (they could finally fit the entire event on 1 disc instead of having to switch the discs crap), and Superstar featured ones.

I already called Insight cable and they had no idea about USA or Sci Fi in HD, bah. Doesn't HD have to be offered on all channels by next Jan. though?

No. All analog signals will be dead next Feb. which means if you get your local channels via antenna, you'll have to get a new tv or a converter box( the government will give you $50 to buy one) If you have basic analog cable, that won't die until 2012. If you have digital cable without a HD package, nothing will change at all. If you have basic cable and a tv that has a QAM tuner, you can get all your local digital channels that way.

Switching to digital doesn't automatically make programming HD, but it's a noticeable difference in picture quality. I watch Raw live on the USA digital channel while recording it using the analog channel and the difference is huge.

About the torrent file size for HD shows, for a 48 minute HD show encoded in divx, the file size should be around 350MBs

Nah. It's gonna be WAY bigger than 350MBs if you're getting true HD.

It will take at least 5 years to even have enough HD filmed content for a 24/7 HD.

Anything shot on film has more resolution than even HD so its possible that they could convert most of their library to HD, although it would be a painstaking process and by the looks of some of their library footage, the picture qualtiy has detoritated to the point where an expensive digital restoration would be required, and in some instances the quality was piss poor to start with but it could still be cleaned up.

Practically none of it was shot on film. The vast majority of the WWE library was shot on video. The old stuff would look essentially the same on HD as it does now. The only way to improve it would be to do a huge digital cleanup/remastering project, which would be way, WAY too expensive for the amount of footage they have. Hollywood studios spend months, if not years, painstakingly just getting something like Jaws to look as good as it originally did. No way that thousands upon thousands of hours of TV wrestling footage will get the same treatment.

The only stuff on 24/7 that would look different in HD would be new footage shot with HD cameras. And 24/7 doesn't have a massive number of subscribers anyway, iirc it's still well under half a million. So it's not likely to happen for several years.

Anything shot on film has more resolution than even HD so its possible that they could convert most of their library to HD, although it would be a painstaking process and by the looks of some of their library footage, the picture qualtiy has detoritated to the point where an expensive digital restoration would be required, and in some instances the quality was piss poor to start with but it could still be cleaned up. Not a cheap task and I doubt it would happen anytime soon, but its the logical next step, especially if Vince is considering what to do to preserve the library.

I wouldnt see it out of the question to have a Wrestlemania HD Box Set out because that would probably be worth their time and money to do a full digital restoration into HD, and as a bonus it wouldnt require so many discs.

I pointed this out in the 24/7 thread, but the the cable company that puts up advanced programming schedules (Sunflower Broadband) has now written "STANDARD" next to all of the shows. You could guess that's referring to definition, perhaps singnaling future changes are near (or, they just have other OnDemand programming in HD). I wouldn't read anything into it though, all of their VOD schedules say that.

I'm a Time Warner victim, I'll most likely give them a call tomorrow to see if there's any possibility about getting the CW/USA/SciFi in HD soon.

I read they'll be adding them over the next 18 months.

I'm not holding my breath. I was floored that Time Warner was able to get TBS HD in time for the baseball playoffs last fall. Their HD channel lineup is a joke. I've never understood why DirecTV and certain cable companies have no problem working out deals for new channels, but other companies (cough TIME WARNER cough cough) act like they're negotiating the end of a World War.

Time Warner AKA "Brighthouse" sucks. Not only are they incredibly slow on the pickup for HD, but they also lease shitty products. The HD-DVR they put out is complete shit. I'm nervous typing this because I don't want to somehow piss it off, some Toy Soldiers shit, and have it break again.

Off topic.

Do you think they'll ever have the MITB winner cash in the very same night as he wins it?

Maybe something like WMIX.

From what I've read, that was the original ending for Flair's retirement:

He'd win Money in the Bank, cash it in that night, lose to the champion, and leave his boots/robe in the ring as a symbol of retirement.

I guess he's calling the xvid encoded crap HD, lol. An 1h show, 720p, encoded in x264 is about a GB, so RAW and SD! would be about 1.5GBs and ECW would be about a GB.

I guess he's calling the xvid encoded crap HD, lol. An 1h show, 720p, encoded in x264 is about a GB, so RAW and SD! would be about 1.5GBs and ECW would be about a GB.

Ya.

Is DirecTV's internet package still DSL?

EDIT: NM. I checked. While looking I didn't see the YES Network on their packages. I'll be sticking to Time Warner.

Guest Mr. Adam

Finding it awesome that WWE.com's videos have no sponsor for some reason. The threat of Snitsky in HD seems to be driving them away.

I got the distinct impression they want to do something with Flair and Edge after Flair came down to save Batista tonight from a 3 on 1 beat down by Edge and the Edgealytes (or whatever the hell they're called)

Overall the house show tonight was ok. Saw Kofi Kingston wrestle and there wasnt anything special about him or anything, hes sort of an Elijah Burke clone and if/when Ron Killings comes in thats even more of the same. Flair won by count out and pretty much only did chops throughout the whole match vs Mark Henry. CM Punk vs Shelton Benjamin was an awesome match and I hope thats what they have planned for WM. Tag Title match was the standard one thats been happening forever. Morrison was channeling Rick Rude though, and I kept thinking that Mike Mizzanin would/could be a much bigger star if they used him right. Finlay was probably only dwarfed (hmm) in the pop he got behind Batista and Flair. And Kelly ^2 seriously looks not that much taller than hornswaggle (ok..slight exageration but still I never realized she was that short)..

Welly, Kelly Kelly is listed as being 5'5", and considering most of the wrestlers at easily 6'+, I can see her looking really short in comparison.