TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Prophet of Mike Zagurski

WWE General Discussion - January 2008

That No Way Out cover seems straight out of a Russo wet dream. An underwater elimination chamber in shark infested water where every participant is chained up. The way to win is to shove your opponent up a shark's ass and pin the shark.

Credit: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Quote:

Jeff Hardy has been gaining a ton of momentum the last few weeks. Instead of people seeing him as a stepping stone for Orton on the way to Triple H, you hear that a lot of people are saying that it's time for WWE to move him up. Although, if they do so, it would mess up long-term title plans they have involving Triple H.

At last word - and remember, plans can change in an instant - the original plans are not changing. Orton will more than likely go over Hardy in their match tonight at the Royal Rumble.

It should also be noted that people in power are pushing for Hardy to get the strap. Michael Hayes is Hardy's biggest advocate right now. Hayes has always pushed the Hardys, and earlier in their WWE careers he came out of retirement to be their manager. Hayes doesn't favor Hardy at all times though as he's said to be fair in evaluating him - both good and bad - but he feels that Hardy has proven himself enough to get the strap and he deserves to be rewarded with a title run. Hayes is pushing that the crowd reactions are telling WWE to finally pull the trigger.

However, there is at least one person in particular who is against a Jeff Hardy title run at the moment and that person is Stephanie McMahon. She doesn't want WWE to give Hardy the belt because she feels that it would force a change of plans. Stephanie has given her reasons for why Hardy should not get the strap, though some backstage are saying that it sounds like Triple H rhetoric.

Why the hell would you post this AFTER the event in question when it's pretty clear he's not getting a title run right now (and neither is Triple H)?

DUDE! SERIOUSLY!

Spoiler tag that shit! Obviously he hasn't seen it yet.

I can't possibly believe they will seriously do Orton vs. Cena at WM. That match will suck something fierce and they almost need to throw HHH in there for a 3 way to give it some vestige of credibility. I had little interest in HHH/Orton but at least I understood the reasoning behind that. Orton vs. Cena was a shitty feud in August-September and we all know Orton can't win anyway, so there's no point.

Why not just have HHH get a shot at No Way Out and beat Orton, then put Orton against Batista at WM? It would lead to HHH vs. Cena II, which isn't really a fresh matchup, but it's still better than this.

I can't possibly believe they will seriously do Orton vs. Cena at WM. That match will suck something fierce and they almost need to throw HHH in there for a 3 way to give it some vestige of credibility. I had little interest in HHH/Orton but at least I understood the reasoning behind that. Orton vs. Cena was a shitty feud in August-September and we all know Orton can't win anyway, so there's no point.

Why not just have HHH get a shot at No Way Out and beat Orton, then put Orton against Batista at WM? It would lead to HHH vs. Cena II, which isn't really a fresh matchup, but it's still better than this.

No more HHH. His matches in general are dull. Orton/Cena was really building serious heat before Cena's injury, and it makes perfect sense to blow off that feud.

can't possibly believe they will seriously do Orton vs. Cena at WM. That match will suck something fierce and they almost need to throw HHH in there for a 3 way to give it some vestige of credibility. I had little interest in HHH/Orton but at least I understood the reasoning behind that. Orton vs. Cena was a shitty feud in August-September and we all know Orton can't win anyway, so there's no point.

I'm not one to attack other people's opinions, but Orton/Cena was a GREAT feud that produced a very good match at Summerslam and sets up a perfect ending to the feud at WrestleMania. HHH belongs nowhere near the ME.

Ron Killings has agreed to contractual terms with WWE, but at last word, has yet to sign a deal. Killings must pass all medical and drug testing before WWE signs him. The word is that if he does indeed sign, he'll use the ring name KWIK Ron Killings. RAW head writer Brian Gewirtz was vocal about being opposed to WWE bringing Killings back into the fold.

credit: wrestling observer newsletter

Ron Killings has agreed to contractual terms with WWE, but at last word, has yet to sign a deal. Killings must pass all medical and drug testing before WWE signs him. The word is that if he does indeed sign, he'll use the ring name KWIK Ron Killings. RAW head writer Brian Gewirtz was vocal about being opposed to WWE bringing Killings back into the fold.

credit: wrestling observer newsletter

Good, put Killing on Smackdown or ECW anyways. Raw has to many people on it as it is.

**Bryan Alvarez of Figure Four Online is reporting that the WWE was suspicious of David Lagana leaking news in the past few months and they gave Lagana a false story last week that got out and they fired him. The WWE is now monitoring the laptops of certain creative members in order to prevent news from getting out.

that makes me wonder if the Big Show story was false then, if this story is true. If it is true, as much as I enjoy Lagana's booking, he deserved to be fired for leaking story lines to Meltzer.

Dont know if anyone cares or not, but at 254 days MVP has become the 5th longest reigning United States Champion in history today. So how much longer do you think they will let him hold on to it. I would love to see him hold onto it for a year personality.

When was the last time MVP defended the US title (tv/ppv only)? I haven't seen or heard about him defending it in quite a long time.

that makes me wonder if the Big Show story was false then, if this story is true. If it is true, as much as I enjoy Lagana's booking, he deserved to be fired for leaking story lines to Meltzer.

Torch reported Show was at Raw with a healing ankle and you'd THINK they received confirmation from a source that saw him before reporting that.

When was the last time MVP defended the US title (tv/ppv only)? I haven't seen or heard about him defending it in quite a long time.

He defended it against Rey at Armageddon. Not sure about TV.

Who knows about Big Show...he'll probably be on TV before long but they have already missed out on a couple of chances to debut him (the Rumble, last night as a mystery tag partner).

My thoughts on Cena and Michaels are more complicated than it usually seems on this forum. The main problem I have with Cena is that I'm mainly bored with him and find him stale. Certainly wasn't enthused with the prospect of him showing up and simply being handed title shots again. I would have maybe had him win NEXT year's Rumble after chasing the title and feuding with others for most of 2008. I still think he needs a heel turn in the worst way, and I'm baffled as to why WWE doesn't do this even for a short while.

Michaels? I liked him quite a bit in the Rockers, found his early singles stuff forgettable, but he earned a place on my shitlist for years after beating my favorite wrestler (Bulldog) for the IC title. From 1992-98 I had zero use for Shawn Michaels. I didn't get his uber push, and as a HS student during that era he was the exact opposite for what a cynical teenager wanted to see in a wrestler. Nearly everyone who watched wrestling at my school felt similarly and found it a joke that he was beating guys like Bret Hart or Diesel. I also thought HBK was a joke in that he always seemed to forfeit belts rather than actually lose them in the ring. What kind of "real man" does that? Anyway, after he finally got his comeuppance in 1998 against Austin and was injured for 4 years I finally let my loathing of HBK go by the wayside. Since 2002 I've at least tolerated him and at times enjoyed some of his work, but feel that if he's just going to keep losing title matches it's time to quit main eventing him.

Interesting news about Meltzer and Lagana. You have to assume Meltzer was paying his source though. However it couldn't have been a lot. Seems like he was fired out of no where, so this would certainly make sense. I wonder how Meltsz will deal with this "rumor", and where he'll get such another high foodchain source.

well this should be how it is, they need to try to keep storylines hidden as closely as possible, like Cena's return no one knew about it and it was a huge shock, could be worse, a script for a show could get leaked out like what happened with TNA :P

Interesting news about Meltzer and Lagana. You have to assume Meltzer was paying his source though. However it couldn't have been a lot. Seems like he was fired out of no where, so this would certainly make sense. I wonder how Meltsz will deal with this "rumor", and where he'll get such another high foodchain source.

Well, if they planted a fake storyline on Lagana in the hopes of him spilling the beans, they would have been suspicious of him before hand like it was mentioned. Lagana screwed up big time if he was using a company computer to send Meltzer information. Doing something like that is just plane boneheaded.

Happy birthday to World Tag Team Champion Bob Holly, who turns 45 today.

=============

Was Dave Lagana the old ECW fan who was in the ECW R&F DVD or was it Brian Gerwitz?

Yes it was Lagana. He used to go to a lot of the ECW Arena shows. He somehow fell into TV writing and got involved with Friends. WWE hired him in 2002 based on his writing background and wrestling knowledge. He was tight with Paul Heyman until he realized you get put in the doghouse if you are tight with Heyman.

I don't think Meltzer has ever paid his sources. A lot of journalists don't.

It's beyond me how someone like Lagana, who was supposed to be very protective of his job even resorting to backstabbing Heyman and sucking up to Steph to ensure his position, would be so stupid as to do the one thing that would guarantee his release. I can understand underpushed wrestlers venting their frustrations to a dirtsheet writer, but he had a pretty cushy job on creative. Why would anyone risk that?

Anyway, what was the fake storyline they gave him? Please tell me it's the incest angle.

Anyway, what was the fake storyline they gave him? Please tell me it's the incest angle.

Alvarez didn't say it was a fake storyline. It was a fake bit of news.

Alvarez didn't say it was a fake storyline. It was a fake bit of news.

The Mae Young/Aurora Rose match is possible then.

With the way Elimination Chambers have been booked, is it safe to assume HBK, Hardy and Jericho will be the first three out?