TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

What kind of music kick are you on?

I'm listening to a lot of 90s pop and Bruce Springsteen lately.

I realized whilst listening to a lot of 90s pop that I must be the only American who kinda liked Robbie Williams. Whoever was in charge of promoting him in the States totally bungled the job I tell ya! It was completely bungled!

He was my favourite artist when I was seven years old.

Metal - Swedish death: Dark Tranquillity, Opeth, In Flames and Soilwork before they both turned to shite

Not-metal - Gloomy and/or gothic English rock: The Smiths/Morrissey, Joy Division, Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy

I've noticed a lot of people seem to be enjoying female vocalists around now. It's affected me a little, too, but it's still pretty scattershot, covering many different genres. Still, I couldn't help but notice how fucking strange it was that I would listen to like, L7. Or even Poe. That was the chick that sang "Angry Johnny", and by the way, I don't care for that particular song.

Now I'm on a big Van Halen kick. Mostly David Lee Roth era but I throw in the 2 or 3 Hager songs I can tolerate intermittantly. Here's a good spot to mention I have a cousin whose favorite album is Van Halen III.

Where the fuck do you hear of these people?

I swear, 90% of the bands you guys name, I have never heard of..... ever.

Are you all the "I'm listening to a band that hasn't even become a band yet" type of people?

Were you referring to that post about 'Van Halen'? At any rate, to confuse you further, I listen to Guided By Voices every day without fail, because it's easy to make time. Brilliance doesn't even have to be a minute long.

I do listen to obscure bands, but just as much bubblegum pop.

You pick up a lot of it here. Like all those bands you had never heard of before, now you have heard of them. Also, if you are in a band or friends with people who are, you pick up on obscure bands too.

Or you could just base all your musical tastes on the similar artists section of allmusic.

Were you referring to that post about 'Van Halen'? At any rate, to confuse you further, I listen to Guided By Voices every day without fail, because it's easy to make time. Brilliance doesn't even have to be a minute long.

No, I was referring to bands like...

I've noticed a lot of people seem to be enjoying female vocalists around now. It's affected me a little, too, but it's still pretty scattershot, covering many different genres. Still, I couldn't help but notice how fucking strange it was that I would listen to like, L7. Or even Poe. That was the chick that sang "Angry Johnny", and by the way, I don't care for that particular song.

I do listen to obscure bands, but just as much bubblegum pop.

You pick up a lot of it here. Like all those bands you had never heard of before, now you have heard of them. Also, if you are in a band or friends with people who are, you pick up on obscure bands too.

Or you could just base all your musical tastes on the similar artists section of allmusic.

Ah. The closest thing I've come to similar bands was on Rhapsody, but since Rhapsody's software is a giant piece of shit, I gave up on that.

L7? They were really popular. Bricks Are Heavy?

sparks.jpg

This girl threw her used tampon from the stage and flashed her bush on British tv... among other things. Hot shit.

Poe was a one hit wonder, but she got a lot of airplay at the time.

I couldn't name one song of either, but I've heard of them. At least a lot of the bands you're complaining about have had some radio airplay, or some other hint of fame. Imagine trying to explain that your band sounds like a cross between One Man Army & The Undead Quartet with hints of Demolition Hammer and an overall power-groove feeling. There's maybe only one other person here that's heard of either of these bands, and it's either going to be Agent or Slayer. Maybe Steviekick, too.

80's thrash. Slayer, Metallica, and Megadeth pretty much. This has led to me search out other such bands, and so far I have discovered that I like Kreator pretty well.

I've had the first couple of Godsmack CD's on in my car now for a good few weeks. Well, that was until this morning when I popped in the first SOAD album...I'm on a kick for a lot of the music I listed to in high school

I've been listening to the Return of the Living Dead soundtrack lately, as well as Cynic's Focus and Zappa's Hot Rats.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I've almost bought that Cynic album a couple times, but haven't because I can't decide if it's closer to Atheist or Dream Theater. Sometimes the parts I've heard appeal to me, sometimes they don't.

I've almost bought that Cynic album a couple times, but haven't because I can't decide if it's closer to Atheist or Dream Theater. Sometimes the parts I've heard appeal to me, sometimes they don't.

I consider them more like Atheist, but that's probably just me.

Guest Cock Ring Warehouse
I thought this was worth bumping to state my recent re-obsession with Sleater-Kinney

I can get you in touch with Special K if you want.