TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

What kind of music kick are you on?

I couldn't name one song of either, but I've heard of them. At least a lot of the bands you're complaining about have had some radio airplay, or some other hint of fame. Imagine trying to explain that your band sounds like a cross between One Man Army & The Undead Quartet with hints of Demolition Hammer and an overall power-groove feeling. There's maybe only one other person here that's heard of either of these bands, and it's either going to be Agent or Slayer. Maybe Steviekick, too.

One Man Army is pretty cool sounding, but I'm biased to all those Swedish bands. I've heard of Demolition Hammer a little bit, mostly because there on a few Century Media compilations.

Currently I've been on a Slayer/Anthrax/Exodus/Suicidal Tendencies kick.

I'm really loving some 60's Garage rock at the moment (particularly Chocolate Watch Band and Shadows of Knight).

I'm on a huge Springsteen kick this past month. Just starting to listen to a lot of Tom Waits, and also Kanye West's Freshman Adjustment mixes. Oh, and TISM, although I don't expect anyone to know the awesomeness that is TISM.

Shock of Being by Make Believe. I have been told that they put another album out well over a year ago, but I haven't heard it.

Falling back in love with Age of Octeen by Braid and When I Was Born For the 7th Time by Cornershop.

Same thing with Social Distortion's s/t album.

Misfits. god, what i've been missing.

Depends. If you just started listening, and you're in the Danzig-era...then yes. You should slap yourself for never having heard how amazing the REAL Misfits were. Now, if you're in the Graves-era...it's all meh, save for a handful of songs, really. And of those songs, only one or two really hold up to the Danzig-era. In fact, the only bad tune from the Danzig-era is "Come Back," IMO.

^ yes, i have slapped myself for missing out for the last 28 years.

and it turns out this album i've had on repeat for the last three days is one of the "new" albums. i suppose that makes me some sort of loser. well, more than i already was. aren't i clever?

Misfits. god, what i've been missing.

Depends. If you just started listening, and you're in the Danzig-era...then yes. You should slap yourself for never having heard how amazing the REAL Misfits were. Now, if you're in the Graves-era...it's all meh, save for a handful of songs, really. And of those songs, only one or two really hold up to the Danzig-era. In fact, the only bad tune from the Danzig-era is "Come Back," IMO.

That's funny. "Come Back" is one of my favorite original lineup songs.

I have the worst (and most random) taste in music. Once, I was on a Hatebreed kick. Now, I'm on a Linkin Park and Adema kick. I don't know why I like this shit. It just gets stuck in my head.

I actually liked the first 90 seconds or so of that slower Linkin Park single that's on XM 20 a lot lately. Then I realized it was just because they ripped off the "Something Great" instrumental from the last LCD Soundsystem album, and started putting that on its place.

GBV's Alien Lanes has had a lot of spin in the last month or so.

good show! I got turned on to Guided By Voices last year by a customer and wow. Alien Lanes and Bee Thousand both are wonderful albums start to finish. "Hot Freaks" is one of my favorite tracks... can't remember which album though.

Somehow I've been going on quite the disparate 2-band kick: Dragonforce's "Inhuman Justice" album and The Postal Service's "Give Up". Sort of an odd switch, but I can't listen to crossdressing Japanese men all the time.

-Annie

I've been listening to a lot of oldies lately. I listened to my Joe Meek box set and just kind of kept with that feel.

It's interesting that a lot of songs about love feature a girl who is 16. Like, specifically mentioned as being 16. I've always said that should be the universal age of consent, and this supports it.

It's also interesting that in this climate of 16 year old love, you get Gary Puckett's "Young Girl", which is about a girl who is much too young. If 16 isn't too young, much too young is probably south of 14. Sick!

A lot of Cabaret Voltaire in their peak, as well as Clock DVA and Throbbing Gristle.

I love old industrial music.

Picked up Creature Feature's The Greatest Show Unearthed Saturday on a whim. It looked like it would be either horrorpunk or some odd form of thrash or death, maybe even grind, so I popped it in...and shot it out. Then I listened to it an hour or two later. It's pretty weird, like Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack-weird. In fact, that's a perfect explanation of it: it's the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack done by a singer who sounds like a combination of Marilyn Manson and an announcer. It's actually pretty cool, and would be perfect music for a Halloween party.

I actually liked the first 90 seconds or so of that slower Linkin Park single that's on XM 20 a lot lately. Then I realized it was just because they ripped off the "Something Great" instrumental from the last LCD Soundsystem album, and started putting that on its place.

I hate you.