TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

You Don't Mess With The Zohan

Is Sandler trying to take on "tough" subjects now with his dumb comedies? What's next? A movie where he plays an Eskimo who has to move to the big city because of global warming? It's terrible. Believe it or not, I actually kind of like Sandler. But it's been impossible to defend his movie choices for the past five years or so.

It kind of seems like a terribly misguided effort to prove that there are, in fact, new ideas to be filmed/written/etc. I would have expected a typical Adam Sandler movie to either go with the "Mossad-guy-turns-it-in and moves to New York" or the "women love this wacky flamboyant sex maniac hairdresser" premise, not both of them.

You know, I like Adam Sandler too, but not really for his movies. Some of them were good. It's weird how much flak Little Nicky gets... I liked that one. I heard somebody say it was the worst movie ever starring an SNL cast member. WTF? Had to be hyperbole, though... I'm pretty sure that's got to be a Chevy Chase movie.

I'm not convinced Judd Apatow isn't a hack.

Have you seen Freaks and Geeks? I see how you can dislike 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, and Superbad (Which he didn't have much to do with outside of producing it) but Freaks and Geeks is infallible man. I have a feeling you might dig The Ben Stiller Show too and he was the co-creator and head writer for that show.

Worst movie starring an SNL castmember is probably Nothing But Trouble which pretty much dispelled the notion that original SNL castmembers = box office gold. That one is so bad it's good though. I mean it's got a random cameo by Digital Underground (With Tupac!)

Well while I don't think it's going to win any awards for acting, filming, etc. I bet it'll make atleast 100 million, and make people laugh when they see it. That's what his movies are for, and that's what they almost always accomplish.

I'm a huge Sandler fan but it's getting harder and harder to defend him (although Chuck and Larry was suprisingly hilarious).

The main problem is that he's lost that edgy vibe that he had on SNL and in his albums (listen to his first 2 albums and tell me the guy doesn't have talent). He's just coasting now as the lovable loser with a heart of hold who gets chicks that are way out of his league. But who can blame him when he's pulling in $25 million a film?

He really needs to dump Dennis Duggan and Pete Segal as his main directors and start working with new people. Hopefully working with Judd and Smigel will get him back on track, although Zohan looks awful.

BTW, Judd and Adam were roomates in the late 80s/early 90s and lived on the same street as Ben Stiller (hence the Judd-Ben connection), David Spade, and Jon Stewart.

Like I said he needs to start working with new people, especially Judd, Smigel and hopefully Seth and Jonah (who's in the next Happy Madison production "Strange Wilderness")

And the worst SNL movie of all time is "It's Pat!" Kathy Griffin has a somewhat major role. That's all that needs to be said.

Worst Sandler movie is Deeds

oh and Grandma's Boy is proof that Sandler still has it when he's not trying to be cute. Just awesome Stoner humor by the Sandler B team. And it has Nick Swardson in a lead role.

I forgot about It's Pat That's definitely the worst movie starring an SNL castmember. Though Corky Romano and the aforementioned Nothing But Trouble are definitely viable contenders for that title.

Make fun of me all you want but I think Night At The Roxbury has its moments. It's not a good movie but there were a couple chuckle worthy moments. Notably the Richard Greico cameo. It's Pat is just bad on so many levels, I'm not sure if anybody can make a compelling argument against it being the worst movie made starring a former SNL castmember.

I was going to mention Norbit but I haven't seen that and really how many TSMers have (Besides Ripper maybe)? I don't doubt it's as bad or worse than It's Pat but I've actually had the misfortune of seeing It's Pat

Make fun of me all you want but I think Night At The Roxbury has its moments. It's not a good movie but there were a couple chuckle worthy moments. Notably the Richard Greico cameo. It's Pat is just bad on so many levels, I'm not sure if anybody can make a compelling argument against it being the worst movie made starring a former SNL castmember.

I'll back you up on the Roxbury loved. I absolutely adore that movie. Idiot brothers, catchy techno, incestuous overtones, and Will Ferrell being his usual bi self. Awesome.

I was going to mention Norbit but I haven't seen that and really how many TSMers have (Besides Ripper maybe)? I don't doubt it's as bad or worse than It's Pat but I've actually had the misfortune of seeing It's Pat

I've seen Norbit and while it is nowhere near a comedy classic, it wasn't as terrible as I expected it to be. I did not want to see it at all and after watching it, there were a couple funny things in it.

I haven't seen Roxbury in a long time, but still quote the dialogue about Emilio Estevez and the "ass grabbing" thing is pretty classic too.

As far as worst Sandler movies, his absolute worst in my opinion was that Going Overboard movie where Billy Zane played Poseidon, but that was before he was on SNL, so I don't know if that counts in this discussion.

For other contendors for worst movie how about Taxi with Jimmy Fallon? Although I only saw it once I really disliked Master of Disguise with Dana Carvey. As a Boston Celtics fan, I've always had a love-hate relationship with Celtic Pride with Dan Ackroyd. I'm sure I could think of a few more, but if you dislike this one, just wait for Rob Schneider's next project, Big Stan:

A weak con man panics when he learns he's going to prison for fraud. He hires a mysterious martial arts guru who helps transform him into a martial arts expert who can fight off inmates who want to hurt or love him.

How does Rob Schneider keep getting leading roles? He's ok in small doses, but Christ...

Speaking of Sandler movies, I was getting ready to say I liked Big Daddy the least, because the sentimental stuff just doesn't work with me, but now that I think about it... there was some funny stuff in it. It's a sleeper. As fucked up as Going Overboard is, I'd probably watch it over, say, Anger Management.

I also read this about Sandler:

He will also be working on Bedtime Stories (2008), a fantasy film being directed by Bringing Down the House director Adam Shankman about a stressed real estate developer whose bedtime stories he reads to his niece and nephew begin to come true, which will mark Sandler's first family film and first film under the Walt Disney banner.

That actually sounds appealing, I enjoy junk like that. The director of Bringing Down the House isn't much of a selling point, though.

To see Sandler at his best, I'd say it's his cameo in Shakes the Clown. He owns that role.

He will also be working on Bedtime Stories (2008), a fantasy film being directed by Bringing Down the House director Adam Shankman about a stressed real estate developer whose bedtime stories he reads to his niece and nephew begin to come true, which will mark Sandler's first family film and first film under the Walt Disney banner.

Weird that they would mention 'Bringing Down the House' first, when he's done more recent things. Such as Hairspray, which in my opinion, was the absolute greatest.

I don't think it's fair to say It's Pat is the worst SNL movie ever. At least the character of Pat him/her/itself is funny for about, oh, sixty seconds or so. Which is sixty seconds longer than the annoying bitch from Superstar was funny. Christ that movie sucked. Even Will Ferrell playing Jesus didn't get a single laugh out of me.

Also, you could fill a Blockbuster with nothing but the awful failed comedies made by the combined efforts of Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, Eddie Murphy, and all the other old cast members.

As for Zohan, well, I don't think I've ever seen an Adam Sandler movie I really liked, so I'm skipping this one. But considering that it's co-starring ROB SCHNEIDER AND MARIAH CAREY, this looks like it will be a stinker of epic proportions.

I didn't hate Superstar, I didn't like it but I didn't hate it. Then again, the last time I saw it was 14 so my opinion has almost definitely changed since then.

I've seen a lot of shitty Chevy Chase and Steve Martin movies and none of them surpass It's Pat in shittiness. Eddie Murphy on the other hand? What I've seen of The Adventures of Pluto Nash does and Norbit also likely does.