TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Spiderman OMD finale

I didn't read this series at all, but I am reading some of the backlash the fans are having over the finale. Was anyone reading this storyline that could enlighten us?

Basically Peter made a deal (with Mephisto, I think) that said he would save May's life, but only on the grounds that his entire marraige to Mary Jane would be erased from history. As a result, some characters who have been gone for a while (Flash Thompson, for example) are now back. It sounds all sorts of screwed up, and when I heard this is how the story is ending, I stopped buying the books.

Crazy crazy ending right there. But I guess Quesada got his wish of ending the marriage without death/divorce.

Anyone else notice Peter's got his old non-organic web shooters back on the last page?

So what I can't figure out is whether the Spiderman comics are now told in the past (it sure seemed like it with Peter still living with aunt May and all)?

Wow, Pete, nice choice. I mean, why not erase your entire relationship with your best friend, lover, and wife just so your Aunt can keep on ticking for a few more years. God, I wish she'd die of a heart attack in a few months just to fuck him over for such a retarded choice.

I thought it was Mary Jane who accepted the deal on behalf of the both of them.

Still, its very weird and doesn't fit in well at all. I agree with JMS's dissapointment of them using the "IT'S MAGIC~!" excuse for all the post-OMD continuity.

I thought it was Mary Jane who accepted the deal on behalf of the both of them.

You'd be somewhat correct. They both discussed it before they agreed to it but MJ got Mephisto to also make people forget about Peter unmasking (without Peter knowing) in exchange for something else Mephisto wanted but was not revealed here.

In short as I understand it, Mephisto undid MJ and Peter's marriage, not their relationship per se or any of his past adventures or anything like that, and also erased people's knowledge of Spidey's true identity. That seemed fine up until that point, but how Harry is alive still and why Peter has to use web-shooters again is totally confusing.

I can see both sides of the fence regarding what JMS wanted to do and what Marvel editorial wanted. JMS wanted Gwen's kids to be Peter's and now erased from history along with another bunch of stuff that Marvel felt would discontinue tons of stories from as far as 1971. JMS got upset about Marvel making changes that felt cheap and just answering with the "It's magic" line that feels like such a cop out.

I think undoing the marriage (maybe MJ got cold feet or whatever) and the unmasking would've been enough. The bringing people back from the dead for no discernible reason or undoing the "The Other" storyline also for no reason is what bugs me the most. Still, I feel Peter and MJ will get back together somehow so Mephisto will look for payback in another way.

I gotta say I have a bunch more respect for JMS now that it's come out that the kids being Osbourne's wasn't something he wanted to do but an editorial decision.

I have followed in a long time. What happened to Spider-Man's Stark armor? I saw a thread on when he got it here, but never picked up any of the comics.

I think undoing the marriage (maybe MJ got cold feet or whatever) and the unmasking would've been enough. The bringing people back from the dead for no discernible reason or undoing the "The Other" storyline also for no reason is what bugs me the most. Still, I feel Peter and MJ will get back together somehow so Mephisto will look for payback in another way.

I haven't read the last part of the series yet, but the way I understood it wasn't that she was just going to erase their marriage, but that by keeping Aunt May alive, spiderman would be jumping into an alternate reality. MJ and Peter not being together was just one difference about the new reality. It's the whole butterfly effect thing. It's all explained in the third part better than I can explain it.. I think people who don't understand should just re-read that.

I gotta say I have a bunch more respect for JMS now that it's come out that the kids being Osbourne's wasn't something he wanted to do but an editorial decision.

Which do you prefer, his original vision of the twins being Peter's kids or the final printed version?

I have followed in a long time. What happened to Spider-Man's Stark armor? I saw a thread on when he got it here, but never picked up any of the comics.

The spider armor was torn to shreds during Civil War when Spidey was on the run and got mugged by the Jester and Jack O' Lantern before the Punisher rescued him. Spidey then ditched it when he went to camp Cap, but not before the armor relayed all the info about Spidey's moves and abilities to Stark's computers.

The twins was a bad idea period, but Gwen FUCKING NORMAN OSBOURNE was the worst possible choice they could have ever made.

And so now with this Mephisto deal haven't they just completely "re-jiggered" the whole Marvel universe with these timeline changes? As JMS pointed out, now they can make any continuity change they want and blame it on the "ripples" from this. This is essentially their "Prime punching the universe."

And if what was revealed in House of M holds true then Wolverine's brain should have a problem with this.

Oh, and one more point. Didn't they swear up and down that the identity reveal was staying and was the new status quo?

You are correct about the status quo.

The dumbest part is that they've decided to just reboot Spider-Man completely. He's going to be Marvel's equivalent of Hawkman.

I hate to be Johnny come lately here, but Pete and MJ split up so May can live, Harry is back, and they've erased from history probably the most interesting thing that has happened to the SM character in recent memory (the unmasking)? Holy shit, I thought the Clone Wars were screwed up.

Gwen having an affair with Norman Osborn probably takes the cake for stupidity, however. Wouldn't somebody like Flash make more sense/be more intriguing, especially considering how Pete was always paranoid that Gwen would come onto Flash?

The dumbest part is that they've decided to just reboot Spider-Man completely. He's going to be Marvel's equivalent of Hawkman.

Look, I bet in the next year or two this whole thing is undone and Spiderman is back to the post clone saga status quo. There's already a few Deus Ex ways of doing it that they put in there:

-The 'part of the soul' that remembers everything (or does that 'part of the soul' only remember the marriage and not the other random changes they just decided to make)

-Whatever Mary Jane whispered into Mephisto's ear.

-The fact that they are some 'holy love' that only comes around every millennium or some shit like that.

-God

-Wolverine

-It's Magic

I betcha Marvel has some Crisis type event lined up to fix up the timeline.

As someone out of the loop on comics that just heard about this horrible storyline all over the internet; I have to ask what you mean when you speak of Wolverine having a play in this in the future?

Look, I bet in the next year or two this whole thing is undone and Spiderman is back to the post clone saga status quo. There's already a few Deus Ex ways of doing it that they put in there:

-The 'part of the soul' that remembers everything (or does that 'part of the soul' only remember the marriage and not the other random changes they just decided to make)

-Whatever Mary Jane whispered into Mephisto's ear.

-The fact that they are some 'holy love' that only comes around every millennium or some shit like that.

-God

-Wolverine

-It's Magic

I betcha Marvel has some Crisis type event lined up to fix up the timeline.

My likely bet of what's going to fix it. He's like Deus Ex Machina with claws.

Or do you mean Deus Ex Wolverina?

As someone out of the loop on comics that just heard about this horrible storyline all over the internet; I have to ask what you mean when you speak of Wolverine having a play in this in the future?

During House of M, Wolverine was the first person to realize that reality had been messed with.

Apparently Logan's brain doesn't jive with altered realities. Naturally this is due to his healing factor... of course.

Well, its gotten me interested in reading (but I was doing that anyway) but i'm not really sure which way they can go, especially if this is supposed to be long term.

One of the first things that crossed my mind is how is this going to effect something like New Avengers which he's heavily featured in, or even the fallout from Civil War. Has Peter and Aunt May moved back into a house after Avengers Tower? Did he even get involved. I'm just concern that this is almost going to be similar to an Ultimate Spider-man title, rather than one in the normal Marvel Universe. I just don't see how they can take probably their number one character, who features some way into almost all of their major story arcs, and now have to somehow make it seem like it never happend.

Unless the magic has rewritten all these events.

I just finished it. I hated it. I thought it was a big load of shit. I have been wanting Mary Jane gone for a long time, but I was hoping they would kill her off and elevate one of Spidey's classic villains a bit, someone who doesn't get enough credit like Electro, The Vulture, Mysterio or The Scorpion, who SHOULD be The Scorpion again instead of Venom Eddie Brock Venom is WAY better then Mac Gargan Venom. It could really bring them up to the next level. Instead we get a load of shit that seemingly screws up a ton of Spider-Man history. I'm very interested to see where they go with this.

One thing a buddy of mine and I noticed...if anyone has the Free Comic Day Spider-Man issue from this year, go back and take a look at it, and check out the superhero "Jackpot" that shows up in the book. Potential hint at the reality we're facing in the book now?

Just took another look at the Free Comic Book Day Issue of Spidey. Thats a good call, on Jackpot. Maybe that wasn't just a throw away issue after all.

What's this about the FCBD issue?

Anyways, here's Marvel's first shot at explaining some of the status quo:

Statusquo.jpg

"His Identity is truly secret. Although some people seem to recall that spidey unmasked himself during civil war, no one quite remembers whose face was under the mask"

You've got to be SHITTING me!!!

One thing a buddy of mine and I noticed...if anyone has the Free Comic Day Spider-Man issue from this year, go back and take a look at it, and check out the superhero "Jackpot" that shows up in the book. Potential hint at the reality we're facing in the book now?

Preview pages and interviews have confirmed MJ now has superpowers thanks to Peter saving May from being united with Uncle Ben in the afterlife and aborting his unborn child.

Preview pages and interviews have confirmed MJ now has superpowers thanks to Peter saving May from being united with Uncle Ben in the afterlife and aborting his unborn child.

Wait... what?!

Christ. And Spider-man had been going so well over the course of a few years. No big bullshit Clone Saga-type "nothing will be the same!" retconning, just decent stories. Then they brought back the goddamn Green Goblin, and he'd fucked Gwen Stacey and they had mutant kids, and House of M side effects, and Peter learned that his powers didn't come from a radioactive spider, that it was some kind of primal totem crap, and he was randomly developing new icky powers, and he and May moved in with Iron Man, and Spider-man became an Avenger, and Eddie Brock lost the symbiote and died, and Mary Jane died but didn't stay dead, and May died, and then CIVIL COCKSUCKING WAR, and now THIS atrocity...

(deep breath)

Spider-man was my very favorite comic when I was growing up. It makes me a little sad to see the massive pile of shit it's become.

What's this about the FCBD issue?

Anyways, here's Marvel's first shot at explaining some of the status quo:

Statusquo.jpg

"His Identity is truly secret. Although some people seem to recall that spidey unmasked himself during civil war, no one quite remembers whose face was under the mask"

You've got to be SHITTING me!!!

Thanks for this, it probably helps alot of the fans who were having aneurysms trying to take in new information. I'm sure all of this would have been cleared up by the next few issues anyway.

"The his identiry is truly secret but everyone is foggy" makes me smirk. Reminds me of those episodes of Buffy where shit would happen to outsiders, but then they'd get forget/ never speak about it.