TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

The 2008 Royal Rumble Thread

Here's a question...

The list of people in this match so far is pretty lacking in star power.

OK that's more of a statement...

How in the world are they going to find 6 people to throw into the chamber?

There's a lot of stars who are not in the rumble match (Rey or Edge, Orton or Hardy, Y2J, JBL, Flair, MVP) that will factor heavier in Mania than most of the people in the rumble... so will the chamber people just be picked out of a hat?

Well, since that "Final 6 in the Chamber" rule never became true, they can do whatever they want. Why are people acting like this is an official stipulation? Did I miss some announcement?

Psst. You do know it's predetermined, right? They actually pick who wins both the Rumble and EC... and the winners will be chosen by who they want headlining Mania. Crazy, I know!

Is there any type of restriction on this Last Chance EC next month? I mean, from a kayfabe standpoint, what if the final seven in the ring are all from Smackdown, or what happens if HHH wins the Rumble and Umaga wins the EC?

Venk, however, trumps me. I'd kind of just assumed that there was indeed an announcement.

I know I wasn't watching the Hardys in OMEGA, so maybe I can't really compare, but godamn I loved them as the Hardy Boys (yes, with an s) against Too Much (when Brian Christopher was man-loving, not dancing) on WWF Shotgun back in 1998 when I was 9. If Jeff wins the title at RR (Even I think it's a probable 4/1 shot), I will mark out like no tomorrow.

Seriously, it will beat RVD beating Cena, HBK coming back (I started watching wrestling 6 months after WM14, and I knew I'd missed something good), Mankind winning the title, every mark out moment I've ever had.

I know I wasn't watching the Hardys in OMEGA, so maybe I can't really compare, but godamn I loved them as the Hardy Boys (yes, with an s) against Too Much (when Brian Christopher was man-loving, not dancing) on WWF Shotgun back in 1998 when I was 9. If Jeff wins the title at RR (Even I think it's a probable 4/1 shot), I will mark out like no tomorrow.

Seriously, it will beat RVD beating Cena, HBK coming back (I started watching wrestling 6 months after WM14, and I knew I'd missed something good), Mankind winning the title, every mark out moment I've ever had.

If this was June-October, I might give Jeff 4 to 1 odds but with Wrestlemania only 2 Pay-Per-Views away, I'd say it's more like 40-1, unfortunately. I too would mark out pretty hard.

Yeah the timing is really hurting Hardy here I think. Maybe they didn't expect him to be *As* over as he is...but if this weren't January...he comes accross like not just a guy who should win the title...but *THE* guy who should win the title.

I expect them to put him back in the midcard and wait until his heat dies down...then put the title on him many moons after they had a chance to capitalize on his popularity.

Hopefully it doesn't take 5 years to late like they did with RVD.

For god's sake, it's the easiest booking going. Have him win at RR (fans go wayhey and watch RAW), then have him drop it back to Orton at No way Out via screwjob (fans hate Orton even more and will watch RAW and buy WM to see whoever wins the RR depose him). Then have Jeff Hardy win the MITB and fans buy every PPV in the hope that it'll be the time their hero Jeff Hardy cashes it in and gets his title back.

For god's sake, it's the easiest booking going. Have him win at RR (fans go wayhey and watch RAW), then have him drop it back to Orton at No way Out via screwjob (fans hate Orton even more and will watch RAW and buy WM to see whoever wins the RR depose him). Then have Jeff Hardy win the MITB and fans buy every PPV in the hope that it'll be the time their hero Jeff Hardy cashes it in and gets his title back.

Bang on. I'd go so far to say that it's foolproof.

I just don't see it happening.

Guest Moots

If hardy wins the title, I will puke........1,203,212,111 times.

Jeff Hardy should be shot.

Psst. You do know it's predetermined, right? They actually pick who wins both the Rumble and EC... and the winners will be chosen by who they want headlining Mania. Crazy, I know!

Yes, yes. Predetermined like the Poster Tournament, it is.

I'm a huge RVD fan and didn't even find him beating Cena much of a mark out moment, since I thought the way it happened the decision would be overturned. Not to mention Edge essentially handed him the belt.

That Jeff/Orton scenario has entirely too many title changes. If Jeff wins the belt at the Rumble, then he should go into WM defending it. Why have him drop it back at all? What, is Orton just sooooo the MAN that he must go into WM with the title? It just gives Jeff that lame Edge 3 week title run when there is no point in doing so (with Edge they had to get the MITB out of the way, but really didn't want the belt off Cena).

When in doubt, do the DQ finish here. Or a goofy double knockout spot similar to the ending of Raw. Something that protects Jeff. And then yes, he goes to WM and wins a MITB and then cashes it in against whoever later on.

How about Jeff tries to recreates his big Swanton from Raw, Orton moves, Jeff crashes and burns, and Orton crawls back into the ring and the referee has to count Hardy out? Orton can claim to have won, but Hardy points out that Orton didn't really beat him, and goads Orton into a gimmick rematch. They can even make it a Ladder match. That way, Orton looks strong going into WM by beating Hardy in Hardy's type of match, but Hardy doesn't have to get pinned.

If the ladder match is to be seen as Jeff Hardy's kind of match, how does it help him if he can't even win the belt when the odds are stacked in his favor? It would make me think that he has zero shot of winning the belt for a long while after that if I saw that. If they mean to push Jeff Hardy, they would have Jeff exhibit signs of injury from the Raw stunt (as in storyline Jeff left the hospital without being checked up) during the Rumble title match but keeps trying to fight. His injuries however are too much to overcome. He eventually loses after perhaps his body giving out on him. For the next month you could have him "heal" up, and then win a spot in the MITB if they do that this year again. Then he can win the MITB and whatever happens.

Should Happen: Jeff Hardy wins title, Taker wins Rumble. EC has Jericho, Orton, JBL, HHH, HBK, Kennedy where HHH wins and Ric Flair beats Jeff Hardy for the title at NWO after a healthy Matt turns on his brother for not whatchin his back.

Leads to WM: Flair vs HHH, carrer and title main. Taker-Edge, Jeff-Matt, JBL-Jericho gimmick blowoff. MITB HBK,Kennedy,MVP,Punk, Rey and Umaga. Orton-Batista in RAW vs SD. Finley-Hornswaggle vs Khali-Manager, Maria girls stuff.

How about Jeff tries to recreates his big Swanton from Raw, Orton moves, Jeff crashes and burns, and Orton crawls back into the ring and the referee has to count Hardy out? Orton can claim to have won, but Hardy points out that Orton didn't really beat him, and goads Orton into a gimmick rematch. They can even make it a Ladder match. That way, Orton looks strong going into WM by beating Hardy in Hardy's type of match, but Hardy doesn't have to get pinned.

Well, they're in MSG, so I'm fully expecting Hardy to find his way back up in the same position he did at Rumble 2000 (assuming they use the traditional MSG entrance set-up, which is the main reason why I'm hoping this happens) to recreate that moment, only Orton moves and Hardy wipes out through the table. I still see Orton winning via pinfall from that point, but they can try and use the stunt to keep Jeff strong, have him kick out when he first gets back into the ring as a hope spot but eventually get pinned.

Should Happen: Jeff Hardy wins title, Taker wins Rumble. EC has Jericho, Orton, JBL, HHH, HBK, Kennedy where HHH wins and Ric Flair beats Jeff Hardy for the title at NWO after a healthy Matt turns on his brother for not whatchin his back.

Leads to WM: Flair vs HHH, carrer and title main. Taker-Edge, Jeff-Matt, JBL-Jericho gimmick blowoff. MITB HBK,Kennedy,MVP,Punk, Rey and Umaga. Orton-Batista in RAW vs SD. Finley-Hornswaggle vs Khali-Manager, Maria girls stuff.

NO Matt Hardy heel turn. Just no. It just seems like a random swerve.

Jeff wins it at RR, gets majorly screwed (but not by his brother), goes into MITB and wins it, just as mentioned before.

It's simple booking, which is why I don't expect WWE to pick up on it.

I didn't catch Smackdown last night but I read in the spoilers that Big Daddy V was now in the Rumble but he offically hasn't been added or mentioned on WWE.com. Does anyone know if he was offically confirmed or not by Cole and Coach on Smackdown last night?

Well, they're in MSG, so I'm fully expecting Hardy to find his way back up in the same position he did at Rumble 2000 (assuming they use the traditional MSG entrance set-up, which is the main reason why I'm hoping this happens) to recreate that moment, only Orton moves and Hardy wipes out through the table. I still see Orton winning via pinfall from that point, but they can try and use the stunt to keep Jeff strong, have him kick out when he first gets back into the ring as a hope spot but eventually get pinned.

Just have it be a no contest. Hardy crashes and burns, EMTs out and he's carted off unable to continue. Orton can come out the next night on RAW and demand he have his hand raised in victory, Hardy reports live via satellite from the hospital that you didn't win because you didn't beat me, and they're set for a NWO rematch, Hardy wins and you go triple threat at Wrestlemania, Hardy v. Orton v. #1 contender

Here's a question...

The list of people in this match so far is pretty lacking in star power.

OK that's more of a statement...

How in the world are they going to find 6 people to throw into the chamber?

There's a lot of stars who are not in the rumble match (Rey or Edge, Orton or Hardy, Y2J, JBL, Flair, MVP) that will factor heavier in Mania than most of the people in the rumble... so will the chamber people just be picked out of a hat?

Remember Royal Rumble 2005? Edge, HBK, and Angle Were Already In Matches and were still in the rumble

I think Jeff will win MITB at WM 24 and win the title later down the road, maybe even sometime this year if they play their PPV cards right.

The latest WWE magazine sent out to subscribers contains a potential Royal Rumble spoiler for the Hardy/Orton match.

Jeff Hardy is on the cover and the main feature is an interview with him. Inside the magazine, there is a picture of him underwater bound by chains, but it is clear that the background of the picture is the inside of the elimination chamber.

The latest WWE magazine sent out to subscribers contains a potential Royal Rumble spoiler for the Hardy/Orton match.

Jeff Hardy is on the cover and the main feature is an interview with him. Inside the magazine, there is a picture of him underwater bound by chains, but it is clear that the background of the picture is the inside of the elimination chamber.

Yeah... Ive seen it... But It could promote The Chamber and possibly another gimmick match with Jeff...

The WWE Magazine cover photo is the same picture on the No Way Out poster.

From WWE.com

WWE has yet to decide whether to distribute its high-definition pay-per-view events on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray format discs.