TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LucharesuFan619

CHIKARA King of Trios (February 29, March 1, March 2)

Apparently, CHIKARA is going to hold the single biggest tournament ever with King of Trios on February 29, March 1, and March 2 with all three nights at the ECW Arena in Philly. I don't know how many teams that means but you're going to have to have a lot if you want to have it be the biggest tournament ever. I haven't seen any of the King of Trios but it looks like El Generico is slated for the weekend, and it would be his first time back in CHIKARA since 2005. So far the teams announced are:

The Colony

Gran Akuma, Icarus, & Chuck Taylor

Crossbones, Hydra, & UltraMantis Black

Shane Hagadorn, Alex Payne, & newly-signed WWE developmental guy Rhett Titus

Player Uno, Stupified, & EL GENERICO

Hallowicked, Delirious, & Helios

Mitch Ryder, Larry Sweeney, & Shayne Hawke

Team Egypt (Ophidian, Amasis, & Mecha Mummy)

Team IPW-UK (Martin Stone, Terry Frazier, & Sha Samuels)

Arik Cannon & The North Star Express (Darin Corbin & Ryan Cruz)

Tim Donst, Drew Gulak, & Andy Sumner

The Southern Saints (Justin Reed & ?) & Marcus O'Neill

The BLKOUT (Eddie Kingston, Sabian, & Joker)

Kaiju's Sea Amigos (D.W. Cycloptopuss III, Unibouzo, & Call-Me-Kevin)

Acid Jaz, Marshe Rockett, & Willie 'Da Bomb' Richardson (I think I recognize the last guy's name from an edition of the old WOW Magazine Xtra.

Team DDT (KUDO, SUSUMU, & MIYAWAKI)

Team El Dorado (Mototsugu Shimizu, Gou, & Michael Nakazawa)

Team Blood, Sweat, & Ears (Super Xtremo, Kobra Kai, & Canada's La Sombra)

Team Action Zone Wrestling (AkuA & The Immortals of Waipahu)

Lince Dorado, El Pantera, & Incognito

Team WWF (One Man Gang & Demolition [Ax & Smash])

Sweet n' Sour, Inc. (Tank Toland, Bobby Dempsey, & Sara Del Rey)

Las Chivas (Chiva II, Chiva III, & Chiva IV

The Naptown Dragons ("Diehard" Dustin Lee, Scotty Vortekz, & Drake Younger)

I'm predicting The Colony.

The web site is chikarapro.com and more info on the tournament is at http://www.hpwf.org/~chikara/KingOfTrios.shtml

I'm definitely hitting this up on at least Sunday and Saturday.

I could see them having the tournament end with a Hero team vs. a Claudio team to further their feud for some reason...

The British represntitives have been announced as: Martin Stone, & The Kartel (Sha Samuels and Terry Frazier.) These three men have been my favorite Brits to watch in the last couple of years and I'm really glad they're being given an opportunity stateside. Some might recognise the names from PWG's most recent European Vacation, all three competed on the British leg of the tour.

I had a feeling Martin Stone would be in it. He seems to be one of the premier UK guys. He wrestled Samoa Joe awhile back for 1PW and he also wrestled another big indy name who I can't remember at the moment.

Character wise the Kartel are a couple of mouthy cockneys. They do it pretty well and come across as throughly charismatic. I've seen them on a couple of small shows in Cardiff and they've invariably been the highlight of the shows, throughly engaging the crowd. Style wise from what I recall Terry has a judo background and is fairly small, does a bit of flying. Sha is the much bigger of the team, has a bit of a power game. Style wise nothing else really jumps out at me as it's been about 6 months since I last saw them. Each of the times I've seen them though they've usually been my favorite part of the show.

Drew Gulak and Andy Sumner are returning to team with Donst, which sounds interesting considering all three have similar styles. Speaking of which, Donst should expand to CZW because he is so hot right now. I could see him doing well with Drake, Vortekz, etc.

CHIKARA: January 27 event moves from Bethlehem to Hellertown, PA!

Y'know, we thought we had a good thing going with our pals at Moravian College. Guess not. So our event, "Two Eyebrows are Better than One" is moving off-campus to our familiar Lehigh Valley haunt, the American Legion in Hellertown (just 5 miles away). Even though the Moravian up-and-ups gave us the boot, we're still going to donate the show's proceeds to the American Red Cross under the same provisions we had originally struck up with those college bureaucrats. The weenies.

Needless to say, tickets to our Moravian show will be honored at the American Legion.

This event, technically a pre-season extravaganza, will feature a host of your favorite CHIKARA stars, and a special 'net simulcast will be going down before the show starts, with interviews and exclusive hoo-ha (more info as we slap it togther! Yay! 11th hour changes!) Only a few matches are left to announce, here's what's already on tap for the show:

~TRIOS INCREIBLES~

Claudio Castagnoli & Lince Dorado & Ophidian

vs.

Mike Quackenbush & Tim Donst & Amasis

~FIRST TIME EVER~

Larry Sweeney vs. Hallowicked

~TAG TEAM WARFARE~

Fire Ant & Soldier Ant vs. Gran Akuma & Icarus

~ONE ON ONE~

Eddie Kingston vs. Shane Storm

~LADIES ACTION~

Sara Del Rey vs. Kylie Pierce

~BACK WHERE HE WAS UNMASKED!~

Vin Gerard (formerly Equinox) vs. Worker Ant

Advance tickets for our first 4 events of 2008, including King of Trios, are on sale right now!

"Two Eyebrows are Better than One!"

Proceeds donated to the American Red Cross!

Live @ American Legion Hall!

935 Main Street

in Hellertown, PA!

All seats just $15.00

King of Trios 2008

2.29.2008 3.1.2008 3.2.2008

Friday night through Sunday afternoon

Live @ The New Alhambra (formerly ECW Arena)!

7 W. Ritner Street

in southern Philadelphia, PA!

The action on Night 1 and Night 2 will begin at 7:00 pm

Action on March 2nd will begin at 3:30 pm!

Our homebase: www.chikarapro.com - Now in Spanish, German & Italian!

For our free, weekly video podcast : www.chikarapodcast.com

On MySpace! www.myspace.com/chikarapro

Seems to be legit too, not a gag team. Hope so.

They're hyping it as 84 men, which is of course 28 teams for those of you without calculators or two extra sets of hands. How that works, I don't know.

the results are in via CHIKARA Fans message board:

Chikara's "King of Trios 2008: Night One"

Live at the New Alhambra Arena in scenic south Philadelphia, PA

February 29, 2008

A cold night in Philadelphia and it's hard to type this, to be honest. Regardless, we're in! Looking at the back of a ticket just sold, we're going to have a house upward of 550 tonight, not including non-fan club walkups. A new ring mat on the Arena ring with "CHIKARA" on it. Spring schedule is on the back of the art book:

4/19 - Hellertown

4/20 - Philadelphia

5/17 - Hellertown

5/18 - Philadelphia

5/23 - Worcester, MA

5/24 - Wallingford, CT

In King of Trios: Night One fashion, following in suit from last year, the ringside physician is holding the show up. Last year snow shutting down the highways, this year it's highway traffic on 95. Should be a few short minutes (read: show starts at 1 AM).

7:35 and...we're off to the races! TRIOS IS HERE! Opening ceremony is NOT HERE.

First Round: ROH Students vs Las Chivas Rayadas

Everyone hates ROH. Chivas have their CAMERAS! I love these goats. I can't lie, the ROH students are decent, but Las Chivas? Awesome. Many spots including blinding Sugarfoot with the camera flash. Las Chivas advance after a moonsault. Okay match, went a bit too long. (insert witty comment about ROH students going too long here)

First Round Match: El Dorado vs The Colony

I can hear Dan marking out for Michael Nakazawa and his copious amounts of body oil from here. Michael's tights - not family friendly. I can see his bottom, unacceptable. Michael informed us that HE IS SEXY. Worker Ant slips off of him when attempting lockups before using a towel to get a waistlock. Many oil-based spots ensued and Michael is officially the breakout star of KOT08. Nakazawa attempted a DDT and slid off. I am in tears laughing right now, Michael needs to be on EVERY SHOW. The greatest match ever. The Colony advance with the Ant Hill. Robbery.

First Round: Kaiju Big Battel's Sea Amigos vs The Order of the Neo-Solar Temple

Ultramantis has informed us that DOCTOR CUBE has aligned himself with the Neo-Solar Temple. Cube has provided Mantis with tartar sauce to help defeat and eliminate Call-Me-Kevin for good! Ultramantis puts Call-Me-Kevin away with tartar sauce and a Praying Mantis Bomb to advance the Temple. Fun stuff, Kaiju much better received this go round.

First Round: Team Egypt vs Team AMEX

SKAYDESKAYDESKAYDESKAYDEOMGOMGOMG. Came out with the mask and took it off when introduced. So awesome, everyone is doing great. Mecha Mummy busted out his palm thrust add-on just for Dan and rocked Quack. Amasis is so freakin' awesome, in case you guys didn't know. Quack pins Ophidian. Really, really fun match. Nothing groundbreaking, but still pretty cool.

First Round: Team Dr. Keith vs Team WTF?!

The mystery partner for Team Dr. Keith is...hold on, who cares?! m.c. KZ is rapping! The mystery partner is chosen OUT OF A MACHINE of sorts, can't see. Colin Delaney? Not here... Johnny Kashmere? Yeah, not here. Retail Dragon? In the house! Brodie is none too pleased with this. For all two of you that care that aren't here, Cheech and Cloudy upheld Trios tradition by rubbing the bald head of EdWood for good luck. They've never lost a match in the Trios tournament after doing so, so if they keep it up, chances are high that they could take it all! A pretty boring match until Brodie and Jimmy saved it with some awesome little spots. Team WTF?! Advance after a frog splash from KZ. Okay stuff in all. Brodie murdered Retail Dragon after the match. KZ has my approval to stay.

First Round: Team IPW:UK vs Naptown Dragons

The limeys are working HEAVY rudo, and doing awesome at it, while the Naptowns are just flipping and diving all over. Insane brawling all over, this RULES. The Brits smell like VapoRub much like Pac. Eww.

Dan. Prepare to eat DVD's. Team IPW:UK advances after a tapout due to a Boston Crab. Frazier then attempted to court Whittle's lovely ladyfriend. Tag match on Sunday: Eddie Kingston and Terry Frazier vs Dave Citro and Michael Whittle.

Intermission

Second Round: The Colony vs Las Chivas Rayadas

Bryce took a nice photo of the teams before the match, and then it busted out into Chikara six-man chain madness. Hilarious early on, and pretty good throughout. Fire Ant hits a top rope Beach Break for the win. I demand a rematch.

Second Round: BLK Out vs The Order of the Neo-Solar Temple

Holy shit. Mantis and Crossbones have GLADIATOR-LIKE FACE MASKS for their entrance. Amazing. A decent match, Hydra got a little serious and started getting some good offense in before Joker murdered him for the pin. I like the serious streak the Order seems to be gaining little by little, it's awesome to see they could actually go as opposed to just the comedy schtick.

By the way, quick note to GLF's friends who apparently are offended when we speak ill of them here but don't say a word about it here: it still sucks to see you here, but at least you're not giving your money to rape promoters this weekend. <3

Second Round: Team AMEX vs Team WTF?!

Skayde seems to be really appreciative of the love he gets here, which is well deserved. What a great man. Cheech is working a totally nerdy rudo and it's so goofy it's great. Early Chikara trio spots abound with AMEX. Quack busted himself open bigtime on a dive, but Skayde rolled up KZ for the win to advance to Sunday.

Second Round and Your Main Event: Team IPW:UK vs IncoHelios

The new belts are apparently upgraded versions of the Campeones de Parejas, with black leather straps and gold plates. I can't get over how awesome the Brits are. They're just dickhead soccer hooligans that have no problem soccer chanting and getting rowdy right in your face. Amazing. Dan, your hate for these men is just wrong. FAIL. IncoHelios wins after Hallowicked taps out Frazier with the Chikara Special

Chikara's "King of Trios 2008: Night Two

Live from the corner of Swanson and Rittner in beautiful south Philadelphia, PA

March 1, 2008

We're here! Whoo! HUGE turnout tonight, I'd even venture to say more than last night. Good stuff, let's hope everything starts on time.

First Round: The Southern Saints vs Team Japan

The Southern Saints are awesome on entrance, as the two black dudes were pseudo-Klansmen and the white guy was a thug. They patted the Saints down and found no less than 20 chains hidden all over the three men. Hilarious. Reno Riggins' reactions to every little thing are awesome, and he makes for a great last second replacement. The Saints are just great men. Meanwhile, I don't know if you heard but Team Japan has KUDO and MIYAWAKI on it, so they're immediately awesome by default. SUSUMU made for a great addition as well, his junior style blends in well with the other two. SUSUMU pins Marcus O'Neal with a modified swinging Yoshitonic. The Saints were well received.

First Round: Da Soul Touchaz vs Team BSE

Soul Touchaz are OVER, while apparently BSE are a team of dissension as Kobra Kai is an evil man. Willie da Bomb FLEW, and I can hear Dan marking out when watching the DVD at home. Another first round match that went a little too long. Neither team was bad, but nothing to write home about. Kobra Kai walked out on his teammates and Willie saved the match with an awesome top rope legdrop on La Sombra for the win. Everyone's soul has been touched.

First Round: FIST vs Sweet and Sour Inc.

Chuck lied. No matching tights. The rapist is over here, screw his fat ass. I hope this goes to a draw and no one advances. Tank actually was really fun here, hitting all of his aerobic based spots for good laughs. By the way, Americool's getting mileage out of his mask tonight, was seen sulking outside wearing it and has not taken it off since. Hopefully he won't be entering as El Sundae Grande, the mystery partner for Los Ice Creams. Akuma kicking the snot out of Sara = money. Chuck then claimed he was going to beat her LIKE HIS EX GIRLFRIEND. Akuma later kicked Dempsey IN THE REAR. Awesome. Buncha rapelovers chanting for Dempsey, disgusting. Icarus pins Bobby Dempsey after a pedigree. Okay stuff, again, nothing special.

First Round: Fabulous Three vs Team Stranglehold

SHAYNE HAS A ROBE. Fun little arch, really quick and easy. Perfect example of a great first round match. Sweeney pinned Sumner after a top rope elbow drop.

First Round: Team F1RST vs Team IWS

An awesome Toryumon-style trios match that saw an amazing spot early where Cannon plugged an N64 controller into Uno and turned him into a dancing robot to attack his teammates. Uno and Stu pinned Cruz for the win.

First Round: Los Ice Creams vs Mucha Lucha

Mystery partner time...Iceman King Parsons? Not here. Lance Steel? Not here. Glacier? Here! IT'S GLACIER! Ice Creams worked a hard rudo style with lots of trickery. Glacier actually looked decent for not having worked luchadores in nearly a decade. So fun to see these men working one another. Sprinkles! They had the nerve to use those dangerous sprinkles on Lince! Lince pins Ice Cream Jr. after a moonsault from the same corner from Chapter 11. Awesome.

Second Round: Team AZW vs Team Japan

Poor parenting is running wild at the arena as a young boy is now standing next to me in the zeroth row. I can only hope FIST come out next. Quite a bit of dissension as Ak'ua is a nice strapping babyface while these Immortals are...really, really bad heels. They actually left and then came back at one point. Bad match, the AZW guys suuuuuck. KUDO pins Ak'ua with the double knee strike.

Second Round: Team FIST vs Da Soul Touchaz

Someone please pre-emptively start a Bring Back Da Soul Touchaz thread, just so you can get on the bandwagon first. In fact, let's just get rid of BLK OUT and replace them with a fun stable like this. FIST had some really cool three man moves here, but nowhere near as fun as Willie da Bomb flying. Taylor pins Jazz with the Omega Driver in an awesome match. Real fun stuff.

Second Round: Team WWF vs Fabulous 3

Oh, this is awesome. Sweeney starts out with a promo...STRUTOFF WITH ONE MAN GANG (W/ AKEEM HAT MADE BY BALD GUY'S MOM) TO JIVE SOUL BRO!!!!!!!!!! I am practically in tears between laughing and marking out. Shayne went out of his way to tell the annoying little kid in row zero that he hates him. That makes two of us. Mitch Ryder pins One Man Gang after a loaded punch with knucks. A grand robbery, I say.

Second Round and Your Main Event: Team IWS vs Mucha Lucha

A terrifyingly loud feedback noise aired over the PA for Incognito's music. God seemingly does not love him. He and Stup had a really fun exchange early on...Stup needs to come back forever, by the way. Just want you to all know. Most of the match felt like it was going at half speed, but they picked it up a bit at the end. Incognito pins Stupefied. A bit Briscoe-ish with the nearfalls at the end, but what can ya do?

Chikara's "King of Trios 2008: Night Three"

Live from the former ECW Arena in lovely south Philadelphia, PA

March 2, 2008

A gift and a curse, the final day of King of Trios is here. Tired but ready for what's sure to be a fun time. No jokes about Bobby Dempsey today, I promise. Attendance is about the same as last night, perhaps a bit higher, so 550-ish. Great turnout on a lovely day in south Philadelphia. The PSAC once again vote Chikara as the best wrestling promotion in Pennsylvania.

Quarterfinals: Team FIST vs The Colony

Very interesting matchup here, as Dave noted a lot of people had this as their finals matchup. FIST still don't all have matching tights thanks to that jerk Chuck Taylor, but they do have matching wristbands. I just don't think Team FISW will work. Fire Ant pins Gran Akuma following the Ant Hill! Hot ending, real fun opener. My bracket's busted, but more importantly, FIST lost.

Quarterfinals: Mucha Lucha vs Quack/Storm/Skayde

Skayde and Pantera, anyone? Really fun, long sequence between the two of them. It was also really cool to see Quack and Skayde in there doubleteaming and just looking like two old friends reunited. A pretty long one that saw Pantera roll up Quack for the win. After the match, Pantera challenged Quack for the NWA Jr. Heavyweight title. That will rule beyond belief.

Quarterfinals: BLK Out vs Team Japan

MIYAWAKI VS KINGSTON!!!!!! Joker once proceeded to stick his hand in his pants and then fishhook KUDO. How gross. AWESOME, stiff match that just ruled. Kingston pinned SUSUMU following a backfist to the future. SUSUMU is welcomed back. God, awesome match. Sad to see the Japanese go.

Quarterfinal: The Fabulous Three vs Incohelios

We have ourselves an addition to the Delirious family with Delhelios making an appearance tonight. Hallowicked and Mitch Ryder are great together, more matches with those two, PLEASE. The Fabulous Three are such an awesome squad together, Hawke blends in perfectly. Incohelios advance after a Shadows Over Hell/SSP combo from Delirious and Delhelios, who got the pin on Sweeney. The Fabs attacked the winners after the match, laying them out all over the Arena. FIST cut a promo and cashed in their rematch for the 4/20 Arena show.

Tag Team Gauntlet!!!

- The Immortals vs North Star Express: quick and clean, Cruz Control for the win.

- NSE vs The Kartel: god bless the Brits. NSE tap to the crossface/boston crab combo

- Kartel vs Southern Saints: wild brawling throughout the crowd when the Kartel jumped the Saints on entrance. Marcus O'Neal pins Sha Samuels with a dragonrana.

- Saints vs Las Chivas: Chivas pinned Marcus O'Neal following a Doomsday Device with the ass of the goat.

- Chivas vs Super Smash Bros: some miscommunication but eh, not horrible. An unpaused annihilation on Uno gas Las Chivas another win.

- Chivas vs Go/Shimizu: Go pinned Chiva after a Go Flash...er, alright, real result is Shimizu catching a Chiva in his Cattle Mutilationish hold for the submission.

- El Dorado vs Sara del Rey and Bobby Dempsey: Dempsey pinned Go with a Death Valley Driver. Yep. That's all I have to say.

- S&S vs The Order of the Neo Solar Temple (Hydra and Crossbones): Sara killed her some Hydra before Dempsey tapped to the Hydralock...with some help from Crossbones kicking him in the stomach.

- ONST vs Demolition: AWESOME! Demolitin Decapitation on Hydra for the victory and they are the winners of the 2008 KOT Tag Gauntlet! Demolition has one point.

Semi-Finals: BLK Out vs IncoHelios

From Delhelios to Heliwicked! Him and Kingston got NASTY with one another early on, some disgusting slaps to the face. Got so nasty the he actually broke Heliwicked's stem! Hallowicked and Kingstn showed they still had some unfinished business throughout the match, but the match ended when Joker faked a foul from Hallowicked behind Bryce's back for BLK Out to get the DQ win to advance.

Semi-Finals: The Colony vs Mucha Lucha

Vin Gerard attempted to interfere and was cut off by Fire Ant, but Vin kept him to the outside while Mucha Lucha put Worker Ant away, as Incognito pinned him with a moonsault.

Four Corner Elimination: Vin Gerard vs Martin Stone vs Reno DIAMOND vs Glacier

Again, the most over that Glacier has ever been. More chain chicanery with Reno Diamond. Great tension between Glacier and Vin. Stone eliminated Diamond early, then Glacier put Stone away. Stone got his revenge while Gerard distracted the ref, allowing Vin to get his first ever true upper hand. Fans chanted "Equinox", really getting under the creep's skin. Glacier attempted his superkick, but Vin swept the leg and grabbed a rollup with tights for the pin.

MICHAEL NAKAZAWA vs m.c. KZ

All is good in the world. Michael let us know he is so slippery that all wrestling from KZ is USELESS. So many great oil spots! KZ Time for the pin on Nakazawa.

Chiva II, Create A Wrestler, Tim Donst and Arik Cannon vs Osirian Portal and Los Ice Creams

Quick and fun. Match ended with an eight man chain of sleeperholds with Donst putting all seven to sleep. Fun!

King of Trios 2008 Finals: BLK Out vs Mucha Lucha

Kingston with seizure jokes on Lince early. So much heat. Both teams putting on performances far above par early on. Kingston: "Tag me in! I wanna flip! Dude, I can flip..." Joker planted Lince up on that turnbuckle and yelled "BRAINBUSTAHHH!", then climbed up while King yelled "Give him a seizure!" Joker went for the faked foul again but Bryce knew better. Lince taps Kingston with the Chikara Special! Awesome match!

King of Trios 2008 Winners: Lince Dorado, El Pantera y Incognito, Los Luchadores de Mexico!

I went to the Sunday show and I had a blast although I wasnt really feeling Team Icognito winning the tournament. I did appreciate the fact that Lince used the Chikara special on Kingston to win though. That was a very cool touch.

Yup. We were rooting for BLKOUT really hard and were bummed when they didnt win. I just dont think Lince needed this win to establish himself more. A real Trio should have won. Also, I'm totally digging Vin Gerard and that angle.

Awesome pics btw. I'm still amazed at the fact that Glacier was booked. Me and my friends started a "Blood Runs Cold" chant and he totally appreciated that.

Lince is fun to watch, but at times, it seems like he's the focus of too many things going on in Chikara.

I geeked out big time when Glacier came out. I talked to him during the intermission and he was very happy with the crowd's reaction, especially because he was afraid they might boo.