TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

NFL Offseason Thread

Im officially putting the Ravens on the 0-16 watch for next year.

They get the AFC South (Indy, Tennessee, Jacksonville and Houston) and the NFC East (Dallas, New York, Washington and Philadelphia) as well as the Dolphins again (ha ha they couldnt beat em in 07, why would I think they could beat them in 08?) and Oakland (ok..there might be the 1 victory out of 16..they might be able to beat Oakland..). They conveniently get the two divisions that sent 2 Wild Card winners to the playoffs this year. The AFC North as a whole is going to get killed and it could very well come down to how the teams play in the division but the Ravens have no chance in doing well vs Pittsburgh/Cleveland/Cincy anyway..

Their out of division games pretty much look like 9 guaranteed loses right out of the gate..and the one possible vs Oakland. Im booking tickets right now for the Oakland game (well..I cant since I dont know when and where it is but as soon as I do, Im doing it!)

Oh, and I was right about Cam Cameron for OC.

Watch them go 10-6 and sneak into the AFC Championship because of your CODE BLUE alert

Anything could change between now and the start of the season but as the team stands right now, that schedule will kill them.

I dont see how they're going to improve that much over 07 and I dont believe for a second that Harbaugh is going to magically resurrect the team in his first year with the same core offensive talent and an aging defense that will probably lose key young players like Suggs to add insult to injury.

Al Davis asked Lane Kiffin to resign.

And they want Dennis Green to coach the team. Start laughing.

Breaking news out of Oakland

Al Davis asks HC Lane Kiffin To resign

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3214665

As a diehard and devoted fan, this is absolute rock bottom for this once proud franchise. Kiffin wasn't perfect, but he got the team to compete this year after a 2-14 season. Its hard to believe that this team was in the Super Bowl five years ago.

Denny Green is said to be in the running for the job, but hell Al should just coach the fucking team since he ran everybody else out.

Edit: Fuck King beat me to it. Oh well, Ill just go back to watching team film from the 1970s now.

For some reason, although I've tried never to mention it to anyone and act like it doesn't exist, I still have a soft spot for the Raiders. When I said start laughing, I really didn't mean it. This is sad.

I kind of knew this was coming when Uncle Al went behind Lane's back and rehired Rob Ryan. Other than Denny Green, who would want to take this shitty shitty mess of a team. We have a few bright spots and a high draft pick and thats pretty much it. Bad facilities, working for Al Davis and a poisonious work enviornment make it almost impossible for anything positive to happen here. I mean why should any free agent want to play here? What the hell happened to the Raider mystique? What happened to Just Win Baby? Is there any team for in pro sports today?

Al Davis IS who we THOUGHT he is!

And that is a freaking senile power mad moron.

Guest Vitamin X

I think Denny Green and Al Davis are going to make a great pair. Especially since Green is the type of dude who looks like you can run roughshod over him, and honestly, he's not THAT bad of a coach.

I never really like to admit, but I grew up a Raiders fan and still have a soft spot for the team. But this shit is getting ridiculous. It is impossible to root for a team fun by Al Davis. If they end up with Green or another coach, it will be their 5th in 6 years. You can't win with that sort of turnover and chaos. What a fucking mess.

I can't think of a franchise other than the Knicks that regressed so much. I'm not a Raider fan but Al Davis needs to sell this team ASAP.

Now Lane Kiffin is saying the only way he's leaving is if he's fired... this is hilarious.

Well, of course. There is no way he's going to surrender $4 million just because Al Davis wants him gone. It will probably end up with Al suing Kiffin for insubordination. If this drags on into the offseason... uggh, what a nightmare.

Im actually surprised that many of you guys were once Raider fans. Ive been posting or lurking since the old blue ezboard too. I only remember Sass being a Raider fan.

Looking at Al's point of view (I'm not defending this), once Lane's name came up during some college coach searches (and Lane didnt go and really refute all the rumors), Al probably thought Lane would bolt at the first chance. Being a fan of this team and following the team since I was little, Al is a very loyal man to HIS people, and Lane wasn't one of them. Unfortuntely, Al's unwavering loyalty to his people is what hurting the team. Al was very sucessful for a very long time with his hand-picked personnel and coaches. Today's NFL does not allow for that.

At this point, Al should just fire him and be done with it. There is no turning back from this. After thinking about this, Denny Green could be a good fit for Al and the Raiders. Denny is familiar with the bay area (HC at Stanford) and like VX said is capable of being Uncle Al's personal cabana boy. Which isn't totally a bad thing since harmony and stability is what the Raiders need so badly. Denny is a good offensive mind and the Raiders have talent on that side of the ball along with a chance to nab Darren McFadden in the upcoming draft. Denny also helped develop Dante Culpepper. JaMarcus Russell could benefit from Denny's tutelage. Offense is what hurt the Raiders last year mainly, and Lane's playcalling and personnel decsions were maddening at times. Denny is a veteran coach and a player's coach to boot.

Sorry I wrote an essay, losing Lane Kiffin sucks, but I'm always going to look at the glass half full.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Wow, that's bullshit.

Right on, Lane. Make that old bastard fire you.

Guest LME

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3215121

What appeared obvious is now official: Gregg Williams is no longer under consideration for the Washington Redskins head coaching vacancy, high-ranking team and league sources have told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

However, Williams said Friday night that he has yet to be informed of that decision and strongly rebutted any notion that he criticized former Redskins coach Joe Gibbs during the interview process, as team and league sources claimed Friday.

A source close to Williams theorized that the Redskins may start a smear campaign against the defensive coordinator because he has had strong support from players, media and Redskins' fans.

I hate our owner. When you have to say "Well, at least he's not Al Davis" as a positive, you know it's not a good thing.

Of course, this could all be bullshit. Snyderatto's (TM some poster on extremeskins.com) veil of secrecy is so tight around this whole thing that it's hard to tell what's fact and what's just wild speculation. I'm sure we'll never get the truth on how this all went down (that's just not how this organization operates), so I'll just do what every fan, coach or player has to do, and that's just deal with it. The only truths in this whole thing is that next year we will have a head coach, and we will have a team wearing the colors of the Washington Redskins and as such I will be cheering them on as loudly and obnoxiously as possible every Sunday.

Sigh.

Guest Vitamin X

They're just freaking out over Gregg Williams because he's been their defensive coordinator for a few years now, and that's pretty much been the pride and joy of Redskins fans for a while now.

And hey, you can't always judge a head coach based on prior stints. See: Belichick, Bill with the Cleveland Browns. And, defensive coaches have a more proven track record as being better head coaches than offensive coordinators (and even I'm saying this, being a fan of a team with a coach who came with an offensive background).

Guest LME
Man, it's only Gregg Williams. Dude sucked ass in Buffalo, what makes you think he'll be any good coaching the Redskins?

Actually, I had my doubts about Williams, but was willing to wait and see how his second chance panned out. I'm more upset at how this all went down. It reflects very badly on the entire organization.

Man, how fucked are the Redskins? No coach worth his salt is going to take that job. They'll end up with some retread like Jim Fassel.

Yup. Though, I'd be more than willing to eat my words if by some crazy happenstance this works and we end up improving on the past few years. Not bloody likely, though.

If i was a Skins fan I wouldn't be upset at all, there is nothing in the world that could make me want Gregg Williams as my teams head coach.

I've heard they want Steve Spagnola, we'll see after the Bowl I guess.

Chargers to play Saints in London

Sources confirm Oct. 26 game, probably at Wembley

By Kevin Acee

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

January 27, 2008

LaDainian Tomlinson, Philip Rivers and Shawne Merriman – plus erstwhile San Diegans Drew Brees and Reggie Bush – will be part of the next wave of American football to infiltrate Europe.

The Chargers will play the New Orleans Saints in London on Oct. 26, sources confirmed yesterday. The game, just the NFL's second regular-season contest to be played outside North America, will most likely be at Wembley Stadium.

The Saints, with former Chargers quarterback Brees and Bush, a San Diego native, will be the home team. That means the Chargers do not have to give up a game at Qualcomm Stadium.

It will be the first time Brees has played against the Chargers since he left after the 2005 season.

Chargers President Dean Spanos would not confirm the Chargers' participation but said, “We want to go. I'm cautiously optimistic.”

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello would only say that the Chargers were among the teams being considered for the game.

Commissioner Roger Goodell is not expected to announce the Chargers-Saints game until his Super Bowl media conference on Friday.

Sources said the Chargers have been working on logistics with the league for more than two months. Spanos is a member of the league's International Committee.

“I take it as a compliment,” Spanos said. “I think we're being considered as a marquee team. It's a chance for us to show off what we can do.”

The New York Giants and Miami Dolphins played at Wembley Stadium this past October in the first-ever regular-season game played outside this continent. The Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers played in 2005 in Mexico City, the first time a regular-season game was played on foreign soil.

Each NFL team has been mandated to play a game outside the country at least once every 16 years. The league owners voted in October 2006 to play up to two games each year outside the United States (through at least 2011). It is believed the Buffalo Bills will play one of their home games in Toronto in 2008. The league has even been exploring having each team play one international game a year, which would add a 17th regular-season game and eliminate one preseason game.

“The long-term goal is to globalize our sport,” Spanos said. “And putting our best product on the field internationally . . . showcases our game and what it's all about.”

Spanos said it is possible that within five or 10 years, the league will have franchises outside the United States.

For their lost home game, the Saints will be reimbursed by the league a sum equal to the average revenue for their other seven home games. Their travel expenses will also be assumed by the league. The league will also pay the Chargers' travel expenses above and beyond the average cost of their other seven road games.

The game will be the Chargers' eighth next season, and they will have a bye the following week.

The Chargers will play at one of their East Coast opponents (Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Miami or Tampa Bay) on Oct. 19, sources said, then fly to London immediately afterward in order to acclimate to the time difference before meeting the Saints.

That is a lot of travel, but Spanos is not concerned about the wear on his football team. Neither General Manager A.J. Smith nor head coach Norv Turner was available for comment, but sources said both had been consulted and were on board. Their concerns undoubtedly played a part in the Chargers requesting the league schedule them on the East Coast before the London game.

As for how such a trip might unfavorably impact the Chargers, it should be considered that the Giants are in next week's Super Bowl.

Also, the year the Chargers went to the Super Bowl, following the 1994 season, they played a preseason game in Berlin the previous summer. The Chargers also played a preseason game in Sydney in 1999.

“I don't look at this as adversity,” Spanos said. “I look at it as opportunity.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/charg...27chargers.html

I'm cool with it since the Chargers play on the east coast a week before and get a bye after.

Man, how fucked are the Redskins? No coach worth his salt is going to take that job. They'll end up with some retread like Jim Fassel.

Or worse, Brian Billick.

And about god damn time on Art Monk.