TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

NFL Offseason Thread

I had known the Ravens were interested in McNabb prior to overhauling the coaching staff, but I was hoping they would think twice. I had seen one article that said they would be interested in trading back for Derek Anderson if he doesnt get an extension from Cleveland, which would be nice. But now the rumors are out that the Ravens are going to make a "substantial offer" for McNabb, which makes sense considering Harbaugh has been a coach with the Eagles for about as long as McNabb has been the QB there.

I really hope not.

Guest Blue Man Czech

Jim Mora Jr. is the new coach of the Seahawks. In 2009. He's the coach-elect, hanging around for a year before Mike Holmgren retires. So that's a lame duck season. What a retarded move by the Seahawks. Man, gotta get the best of both worlds here, keep Holmgren in charge for '08 but OH MAN JIM MORA JUNIOR GET ON THAT SHIT GOTTA LOCK THAT DOWN. Who the hell even wants Jim Mora Jr. that badly, anyway? He's odd and weird and possibly gay. So now you have that creep looming over the Seahawks for a year before he officially takes over. What a strange move.

Jim Mora Jr. is the new coach of the Seahawks. In 2009. He's the coach-elect, hanging around for a year before Mike Holmgren retires. So that's a lame duck season. What a retarded move by the Seahawks. Man, gotta get the best of both worlds here, keep Holmgren in charge for '08 but OH MAN JIM MORA JUNIOR GET ON THAT SHIT GOTTA LOCK THAT DOWN. Who the hell even wants Jim Mora Jr. that badly, anyway? He's odd and weird and possibly gay. So now you have that creep looming over the Seahawks for a year before he officially takes over. What a strange move.

That whole coach-elect process worked wonders for Gregg Williams and the Redskins.

Guest Vitamin X

In the second part of me disagreeing with Czech for the day, I don't think it's that bad of an idea. At least it'll be a smooth transition, and it's nice that Holmgren gave a one-season notice. Now the only way he could fuck that up is if he decided he didn't want to retire after this year.

Guest Blue Man Czech
In the second part of me disagreeing with Czech for the day, I don't think it's that bad of an idea. At least it'll be a smooth transition, and it's nice that Holmgren gave a one-season notice. Now the only way he could fuck that up is if he decided he didn't want to retire after this year.

1) Why create a lame duck situation?

2) Why create a lame duck situation involving Jim Mora Jr.?

Guest Vitamin X

1. It's not really a lame duck situation in the traditionally negative sense, though, because that would imply that the team is unsure of its future after the current head coach is gone, the inverse of which is happening here. I'd consider it more of something like when Packers CEO Bob Harlan was retiring this past year, they found a candidate to take over the position, and had him groomed and ready to take the top spot so that they wouldn't mess with stability or the coaching system all that much. The Redskins could wish they were that lucky.

2. That I don't think I can answer, but considering that Mora was a top coaching candidate for a lot of other teams after his dismissal from Atlanta, his taking the job in Seattle was predicated on Holmgren retiring and handing over the reins to him afterwards. He even said, even during his tenure in Atlanta, that he wanted to take the UW job (Mora is a former Huskie QB), so he was focused on moving back to the area in some capacity. Provided he doesn't screw up as a coach again in Seattle, of course.

It's not necessarily a lame duck situation. Holmgren has already stated that he's stepping down at the end of the season. They are trying to foster an envionment where they can smoothly transition to the next coach without disrupting the current situation.

Mora Jr. was acutally a hot commodity this offseason. He'd probably be the coach in Washington (DC) right now had Seattle not made a move to lock him up.

Look at similar situations with Jim Caldwell, Jason Garrett and Steve Spagnuolo. All were top candidates for coaching positions this offseason. The teams they coached for re-upped them with the tacit understanding that they'd be the next head coach whenever a change was made. It's the new rage in the NFL.

EDIT: I guess VX more or less wrote the exact same thing one post above.

Guest Vitamin X

Thanks cheech, for repeating exactly what I said. ;)

Look at similar situations with Jim Caldwell, Jason Garrett and Steve Spagnuolo. All were top candidates for coaching positions this offseason. The teams they coached for re-upped them with the tacit understanding that they'd be the next head coach whenever a change was made. It's the new rage in the NFL.

So is this going to be the new "draft a franchise QB then leave old vet hanging around, or sign a free agent vet QB to teach him the ropes"? It's like the same thing, only with coaches. Not a bad idea, though.

Guest Blue Man Czech

What can I say? I prefer the status quo: your coaching changes are handled between seasons, no overlaps. I don't feel it's healthy to have a coach-in-waiting. Not as if the Seawhats will prove or disprove my position; they'll blah their way to 9 or 10 wins no matter what, and there won't be any controversy involved in who's really running the team.

Guest Vitamin X

Considering the age of Hasselbeck, the mediocrity of the receivers, and the unsettled running game, I don't know if Seattle can really put together a good run post-Holmgren unless they do some great drafting this year and the next. And that might end up screwing Jim Mora, too.

Considering the age of Hasselbeck, the mediocrity of the receivers, and the unsettled running game, I don't know if Seattle can really put together a good run post-Holmgren unless they do some great drafting this year and the next. And that might end up screwing Jim Mora, too.

Branch/Engram/Hackett/Burleson isn't a bad receiving corps, if you ask me. It's the lack of a running game that's hurting their offense more than anything.

Guest Vitamin X

Okay, not mediocre but average to above-average. It's like the New England Patriots pre-2007- hell, they even have Deion Branch!- but with Matt Hasselbeck instead of Tom Brady, which is kind of a step down. I don't think Engram and Hackett are very good, and Burleson was nothing more than a glorified slot receiver in Minnesota, and seems to be about the same player in Seattle.

But like I said, maybe they'll improve enough via draft and free agency in the next couple offseasons to help that out. I think there's a fairly decent crop of running backs coming out this year.

Guest Blue Man Czech
redsox202010 (1 day ago) Show Hide Marked as spam -5 Reply

Technically the patriots are more perfect than the 1972 dolphins because they only went 14-0. The patriots were 17-0 at one point. I gaurentee that in a game the 1972 dolphins would lose the 2007 dolphins.

fackin retahd

Random thought: I know everything's up in the air with Washington right now, but next season might be a good time to be a 'Skins fan. Both Giants Super Bowl victories were followed by Washington championships.

Random thought: I know everything's up in the air with Washington right now, but next season might be a good time to be a 'Skins fan. Both Giants Super Bowl victories were followed by Washington championships.

Causation... correlation... they all mean the same to me.

Speaking of that, Tirico mentioned on his show a few days ago that apparently the clock stopped at the 8:24 mark of the 4th quarter and didn't run when it was supposed to. So the Super Bowl was actually around 30 seconds longer than it should've been.

Speaking of that, Tirico mentioned on his show a few days ago that apparently the clock stopped at the 8:24 mark of the 4th quarter and didn't run when it was supposed to. So the Super Bowl was actually around 30 seconds longer than it should've been.

The clock was fucked up the whole day... it would run off a few seconds here and there over an incompletion, and then stop after a short gain in the running game

Guest Vitamin X

To be honest, I'm not surprised. Just before their game with the Packers, the Pack's defense recalled a ton of instances in which the Giants' O-Line loved to play all sorts of dirty tricks, singling out Shaun O'Hara in particular as one of the dirtiest players in the league. But to insinuate that if there had been a flag called there, that they would've won the game is retarded. Maybe they should've kicked it on 4th and 13 in the 3rd quarter, or maybe they should've had two guys on, you know, the game winning touchdown.

The clock was fucked up the whole day... it would run off a few seconds here and there over an incompletion, and then stop after a short gain in the running game

I think that was just FOX having problems with their graphics. I remember when the clock froze at 9 something in the 1st quarter for a good 45 seconds but there was a shot of the stadium clock and it was correct.

Thank God FOX doesn't have the game for a few years; their presentation is just atrocious.

Edited by KingPK