TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

NFL Offseason Thread

Cam Camerson resurfaced in a prominent role so soon after last year? He should have to toil away in coaching purgatory after a one-year one-win head coaching tenure, like a tight ends coach or something.

Cam's never been a good head coach, either at the NFL level (last year's Dolphins) or at the college level (mid-90s Indiana).

However, he HAS been a good offensive coordinator in his past, so they may let him call the plays.

For the love of God, however, don't let him make the calls on draft picks. Ted fucking Ginn at #9 when he was coming off a major injury? The man was lucky that Brian Billick was dumb enough to let him get that one win...

So the NFL released Matt Walsh's tapes. Mark Schlereth and Cris Carter are about ready to lynch Belichick in the town square since they think they used them DURING games when the tapes look like they were edited afterwards to mix in the game tape and signals.

EDIT: Goddell speaking now. The Rams walkthrough story is officially bullshit. Knowing that, John Tomase (Herald reporter that brought up the story the day before the SB) should be fired by the end of the day.

Walsh also illegally scalped Super Bowl tickets. Wow. What a load of nothing. This story is o-v-a.

The tapes weren't used during the games. They were in Walsh's possession the whole time. Schlereth and Carter look like even bigger idiots now.

Edited by KingPK

Guest Desensitized

I won't say it's over yet. It's getting late, but I still think this'll be the time that the Patriots don't get away with breaking the rules.

What the fuck are you talking about? They got fined $750K total and lost a first rounder. They received their punishment. This is over.

So can we finally stop concentrating on this non-story and shift our focus to ESPN's obscenely premature pre-camp, post-draft Power Rankings? They've got New England at #1! Boo!

I just want to find out one more bit:

The most scandalous part of the tapes had nothing to do with stealing signals—it was several minutes of close-ups of San Diego Chargers cheerleaders performing during a 2002 game.

FOOTAGE PLZ!

Now I get to listen to Colin Cowherd claim that he's spent three hours discussing SpyGate because nobody cares about New Orleans Hornets basketball. Why do I subject myself to this?

They blatantly lied about the extent of the taping. There should be more punishment.

And I don't understand how the fact they edited the tapes later means it wasn't used during games. Thats one hell of an assumption.

Point is, they cheated. they have been caught cheating. they said they only cheated this much, now it is proven they cheated even more than that.

As for the superbowl walk through being bullshit,

Mr. Walsh was not the source for the Feb. 2 Boston Herald article

How does that mean it wasn't tapped and that the reporter should be fired? Is he only allowed one source?

I don't expect anything to happen because it calls the integrety of the game into question, but I am still disgusted by the blatant cheating that the Pats used.

Guest Desensitized
I don't expect anything to happen because it calls the integrety of the game into question, but I am still disgusted by the blatant cheating that the Pats used.

Patriot hater. :angry:

So they've been proven to have cheated more than they admitted to have cheated? Take away their cameramen. They've abused their scouts' privileges, now don't let them have any.

No, the conclusion the commisioner came to after speaking to Walsh is that the extent of the taping was already known, so there will be no additional punishment. Story over, for now.

They blatantly lied about the extent of the taping. There should be more punishment.

And I don't understand how the fact they edited the tapes later means it wasn't used during games. Thats one hell of an assumption.

Point is, they cheated. they have been caught cheating. they said they only cheated this much, now it is proven they cheated even more than that.

Belichick admitted to Goodell that the taping went back to 2000 in February.

EDIT: And the ESPN guys apparently been playing cribbage during the whole press conference since they are still going on about the same shit.

Edited by KingPK

Guest Desensitized

I'm not satisfied with this. The league is way too eager to just close the book on everything because They're The NFL And They Can. Why wouldn't they be doing the same thing here? Bust 'em, Arlen Specter.

This story is o-v-a.

This story will never go away. Roger Goodell destroyed the evidence that would have allowed for complete closure and, as a result, there will always be questions, regardless of whatever the truth may be, surrounding the extent of the cheating, as well as the legitimacy and the intent of the NFL's investigation.

Where the hell else can they go? Unless another former employee comes forward (and after the hell Walsh went through, that is very unlikely), what other avenues does the NFL or (God forbid) a Congressional committee have?

I don't disagree that the investigation seems to have come to a standstill, but that really wasn't my point. (Though, to that point, I'm sure there's a response forthcoming from the Herald and/or Tomase.)

I'm talking about the story itself - people will continue to talk about this for years down the line, whenever we consider the successes of the Patriots during this era, because there is still "truth" that has not yet been revealed, truth that will not be revealed because those tapes were destroyed.

So Sal Paolanonio reported that after questioning another one of the guys from the meeting (I'm forgetting which one he said) he found out that Walsh said during the meeting that although he didn't videotape the Rams walkthrough he fed information to a Patriots assistant coach about some of the stuff he saw during the walkthrough. The things he specifically mentioned were Marshall Faulk lining up in the kick return and some kind of motion from the tight ends based on certain defenses. I guess Goodell didn't think that was at all important.

Was it just a coincidence that 3 days before the SuperBowl these allegations regarding their first SuperBowl popped up and that they would be called into a congressional hearing? I want to see an investigation into what Arlen Specter and the Philadelphia Eagles have to do with this whole situation. I call bullshit on pretty much all professional sports.

So Sal Paolanonio reported that after questioning another one of the guys from the meeting (I'm forgetting which one he said) he found out that Walsh said during the meeting that although he didn't videotape the Rams walkthrough he fed information to a Patriots assistant coach about some of the stuff he saw during the walkthrough. The things he specifically mentioned were Marshall Faulk lining up in the kick return and some kind of motion from the tight ends based on certain defenses. I guess Goodell didn't think that was at all important.

Surely, that is why the Patriots beat the Rams.

Hell, if I was about to play the Super Bowl I'd ask the people that clean the fucking aisles if they saw anything good.

Was it just a coincidence that 3 days before the SuperBowl these allegations regarding their first SuperBowl popped up and that they would be called into a congressional hearing? I want to see an investigation into what Arlen Specter and the Philadelphia Eagles have to do with this whole situation. I call bullshit on pretty much all professional sports.

So the Eagles should be investigated for convincing Matt Walsh (or whoever the "mystery man" may be) to go to a Boston Herald reporter before the Super Bowl and lie about having a walkthough of a practice for a game they weren't even involved in years ago?

What're you talking about, Ripper? How (or when) did they "blatantly" lie about the extent of the cheating? And what's been proven since then?

I'm not asking to troll or anything, I'm legitimately confused by what you're saying. Walsh's tapes just reiterated what the Patriots had told the league all along; he wasn't able to provide anything new, other than the oh-so-tittilating footage of the cheerleaders and assorted women in the stands. What's changed since last September when this first broke?

As for the superbowl walk through being bullshit,

Mr. Walsh was not the source for the Feb. 2 Boston Herald article

How does that mean it wasn't tapped and that the reporter should be fired? Is he only allowed one source?

If there is another person out there with the tape of the walk-through, why didn't they speak up in these last 3 months? Why did they let the whole process procede without speaking up? Unless, of course, the person is still in the Pats organization ... but why wouldn't Tomase have referenced THAT in his article, instead of stating/implying (I forget which) that it was an ex-Patriot employee.

other than the oh-so-tittilating footage of the cheerleaders and assorted women in the stands. What's changed since last September when this first broke?

Maybe he's like that assistant on Playmakers that helped McConnell find a girl? He takes videos of girls and cheerleaders so Tom Brady can decide what his next conquest will be when they swing through the city again?

other than the oh-so-tittilating footage of the cheerleaders and assorted women in the stands. What's changed since last September when this first broke?

Maybe he's like that assistant on Playmakers that helped McConnell find a girl? He takes videos of girls and cheerleaders so Tom Brady can decide what his next conquest will be when they swing through the city again?

Somehow, I can see Brady getting a fling in one of the showers during halftime like the QB on Playmakers...

Didn't think it would happen but I won one of the lottery spots to purchase Bills in Toronto tickets. It's probably just as expensive (or even cheaper) to go to Buffalo but it'll be a blast either way to see a Bills game in person.

Some interesting notes from Pro Football Weekly's "Whispers" article from the past three weeks...

1: The early skinny on Bears undrafted rookie QBs Nick Hill and Caleb Hanie after the team’s rookie minicamp was that Hanie clearly had a stronger arm but that Hill appeared to be a better athlete.

2: We hear whoever ends up looking better between Bears undrafted rookie QBs Nick Hill (Southern Illinois) and Caleb Hanie (Colorado State) has an excellent shot of becoming the team’s No. 3 QB, with the other signalcaller landing on the practice squad — unless the Bears suddenly decide to go after one of the many quarterbacks the Buccaneers seem to have at their disposal.

3: Word from Ravens minicamp is that second-year QB Troy Smith looks improved from a season ago. However, we hear he still has an uphill battle in the competition for the starting job. Veteran Kyle Boller is believed to hold a slight edge over first-round pick Joe Flacco and Smith.

4: We hear the Falcons are preparing their defense to play a lot of nickel coverage this year, in part because of the lack of faith they have in the defensive line’s ability to pressure the quarterback.

5: We keep hearing that the more Niners offensive coordinator Mike Martz works with QB Alex Smith, the more excited he gets. Martz apparently has told some of his confidantes that Smith could be the best quarterback he’s worked with on the pro level.

I wonder why they don't have faith in their defensive line?

OH thats right, they cut two productive starters and went into the offseaon with only a injured rookie at the DT positions and didn't draft the best one in the draft when they had the chance but instead went for a fucking QB.

Some interesting notes from Pro Football Weekly's "Whispers" article from the past three weeks...

1: The early skinny on Bears undrafted rookie QBs Nick Hill and Caleb Hanie after the team’s rookie minicamp was that Hanie clearly had a stronger arm but that Hill appeared to be a better athlete.

2: We hear whoever ends up looking better between Bears undrafted rookie QBs Nick Hill (Southern Illinois) and Caleb Hanie (Colorado State) has an excellent shot of becoming the team’s No. 3 QB, with the other signalcaller landing on the practice squad — unless the Bears suddenly decide to go after one of the many quarterbacks the Buccaneers seem to have at their disposal.

I like how Chicago is the place that borderline QB's from CSU end up ... first Moses Moreno about 8 years ago, and now Hanie. Meanwhile, they didn't go after the decent QB that was at CSU between them, Bradlee Van Pelt.

Then again, Van Pelt was bad enough that he's now playing soccer for a club team in California. So maybe "decent" is too strong of a word for him.