TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

NFL Offseason Thread

Here's Bill Belichick's 1997 Defensive Playbook: http://www.scribd.com/doc/2941740/1997-NY-Jets-Belichick

Fascinating to read given his defensive prowess. In particular are gems like tape study, a list of questions that should be answered, and how to tackle a ball carrier.

http://www.scribd.com/people/documents/860399/folder/15511 is a shitload of other playbooks (college and pro).

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/AL...CxYjNsmXX2duK5w

Washington Redskins TE Fred Davis agree to US$3.5 million deal

3 hours ago

ASHBURN, Va. — The Washington Redskins and rookie tight end Fred Davis agreed to a US$3.5-million, four-year contract on Saturday, a day before training camp opens.

The deal includes a $1.8 million signing bonus for the six-foot-four, 247-pound Davis, who was taken in the second round, 48th overall, out of Southern California in April's NFL draft.

The Redskins now have deals with all 10 of their picks.

Also Saturday, Washington released tight end Tyler Ecker, a 2007 seventh-round draft pick who spent all of last season on injured reserve.

The Redskins now have deals with all 10 of their picks.

10 of their picks

thusmile.gif

Maybe he's shocked that Snyder's actually building through the draft for once instead of signing some expensive (bust) free agents.

so....you are shocked that they had 3 extra picks? I dont get it

Maybe he's shocked that Snyder's actually building through the draft for once instead of signing some expensive (bust) free agents.

Yep.

Jason Taylor got traded to the Redskins...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3497625

...Same as it ever was. At least this guy can still play. However, this'll look like a straight up hosing if Taylor decides in late February to retire. I suppose the Skins put themselves in this position, not having a proven every down DE behind Daniels (or even waiting to take his job - dude was 36, what'd they expect to happen?). It still hurts a little, though, that they can't even go one offseason without having to give up a decent draft pick. Maybe this move allows the Skins to give Erasmus James even more time to heal and he becomes that guy waiting in the wings next year, as opposed rushing him back. Though, he's hardly proven at the professional level. Beast in college, though.

It'll be interesting to see how Taylor reacts to playing a different position in a different defensive scheme. One good thing about this is that the Dolphins moved him around quite a bit, so it may not take him that long to get acclimated. One of the potential problems, though, is that the Skins don't get a large amount of push up the middle from their defensive tackles. However, they do have a young guy in Anthony Montgomery (6th round pick from Minnesota, 3rd year) that took the starting job last year and could be making that jump this year. If he does, add in Andre Carter, a healthy Cornelius Griffin and Jason Taylor, and the front four becomes a potentially dominating force. Potentially, that is.

Still doesn't get the Skins any closer to a Super Bowl, but I suppose it doesn't hurt them either. I'll wait and see before going nuts over this, negatively or positively.

Well the Skins problem with their D-line was mainly getting to the QB. With the exception of the 2006 season, the Skins D was pretty good against the run under Gregg Williams, but they always needed LBer help to rush the QB. Andre Carter is pretty solid, his first season he was transitioning back to the DE spot from LBer which the 49ers moved him to. He had a pretty solid year last year, and now with Taylor on the other end, it will take away any potential double-team that teams had planned for Carter. I like the movie in itself, I just hope Taylor is with the team long enough for the offense to get good enough to put points on the scoreboard.

Guest The Elements of Style

Parcells doesn't indulge pansy-ass ballroom dancing. Take a hike.

I'm not really enthused by the Kevin Jones signing. He's going to miss the first five weeks with an ACL injury, and isn't he claiming that he got some miracle treatment that will have him healthy faster than usual? Those never work!

I like the movie in itself, I just hope Taylor is with the team long enough for the offense to get good enough to put points on the scoreboard.

That's pretty much my main worry about the move. That he'll be around just long enough for the offense to not quite put it all together...and then he'll retire. Here's hoping that in the next couple of drafts Vinny drops his philosophy of not drafting defensive line in the first three rounds and this all becomes a moot point. Yeah, right.

Pending league approval, Shockey to the Saints for two draft picks (2nd & 5th rounders, not sure if they're the same year) according to Jay Glazer.

Pending league approval, Shockey to the Saints for two draft picks (2nd & 5th rounders, not sure if they're the same year) according to Jay Glazer.

Somewhere out there, Flyboy just went over the top. RRRRRROOOOOOOOOAAAR.

Are these fantasy rankings or reality rankings? I'd probably have them fifth and sixth behind Manning, Brady, Palmer, and Roethlisberger, but all but the first two can be debated.

Taken from one of the 500 or so Favre threads on the official Buccaneers message board:

BrettTampa.gif

I'm waiting for it to be announced that Favre actually has been traded to Tampa to see even the most jaded anti-Grudenite weep tears of joy, only to have Favre Plummer us and decide that he'd rather stay retired than play in miserable, sweltering Tampa Bay.

I must say that it's been kind of nice hearing my team discussed on ESPN the last few days, even if it is in conjunction with a story that I'm totally sick to death of.

Guest Vitamin X

Of all the Favre mock-ups in other team's jerseys I've seen, that's oddly the best one. It's like Trent Dilfer, but without the goatee and with a usable throwing arm!

Would you actually want Favre on your team, though, Kinetic? The way I see it, Tampa Bay doesn't seem to be the kind of place that needs just a quarterback to succeed and make it to the Super Bowl, although I severely doubt a division championship would be out of reach in that division, where your toughest opposition is the Saints.

I've been going back and forth on the Favre topic. I think the Bucs are actually significantly better than most people think, as we've got solid starters and quality depth at every position except for QB and WR (and even there we just need someone like Clayton, Bryant, Dexter Jackson, etc. to step up at the #2 spot opposite Galloway). I'm a little concerned that it's too late in the offseason to bring in even a guy with as much experience as Favre and expect him to learn Gruden's ultra-complicated, hoodoo-voodoo, two-runs-an-incomplete-pass-and-a-punt offense, but I suppose that playbook could be dumbed down like it has in the past for the likes of Bruce Gradkowski. I don't know. If we could get him for a 3rd round pick and, say, Chris Simms, I'd have to say go for it.

I'm watching clips from the Packers shareholders meeting right now. There isn't a facepalm picture big enough to convey my feelings for some of these people.

Guest Vitamin X

The Favre supporters? Yeah, they're dumb.

I'm a Packers shareholder though (it was my 16th birthday present!) and I don't think I'm counted in the minority, from what I've seen, of the anti-Favre coming back people.

Im getting a ticket to the Ravens/Falcons last preseason game late in August. End Zone Seat about halfway up for $20 on Stubhub. The last preseason game is pretty much the regulars playing most of the game and will be much better than spending $150 to sit a mile up for a regular season game.

Im looking forward to the season actually..I think the AFC North is wide open and if the QB situation pans out better than should be expected than maybe they could contend for the playoffs.

The last preseason game is pretty much the regulars playing most of the game and will be much better than spending $150 to sit a mile up for a regular season game.

No. You'll be lucky to see any regular season starters for more than a quarter. The last preseason game is used mostly to determine which fringe guys will round out the 53 man roster and which ones will be cut.

The last preseason game is pretty much the regulars playing most of the game and will be much better than spending $150 to sit a mile up for a regular season game.

No. You'll be lucky to see any regular season starters for more than a quarter. The last preseason game is used mostly to determine which fringe guys will round out the 53 man roster and which ones will be cut.

Absolutely right. The third pre-season game is the one where the starters get to play much of the game.

The Chicago Bears signed Ryan Grice-Mullen (released by Houston). Also Davone Bess seemed to be impressing Miami and was "catching everything." Jason Rivers got released by Tennessee on 7/23.