TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pgi86

Kong vs. Angle

I was thinking of Kong and Joe being allies are something and then feuding. You know how TNA likes whacky partners. In this case, I'd have them have some sort of falling out.

He knows how to book wrestling, with sound logic, and does a good job of hiding his talent weaknesses. However, whenever he has had the book, the shows/his own promotion was very bland and boring. There is an entertainment factor that I think Cornette doesn't have a complete grasp of, and probably never will. There needs to be a balance. He's too old school in his philosophy.

Because SMW and OVW under Cornette's watch were just dullness personified and had no 'entertainment factors' about them...

I can't say I like or hate this idea. One thing's for sure, though; If it came out that Russo suggested Kong vs Angle, the majority of the posters here would've shit all over it. But because Lance said it, it's a cool idea.

He knows how to book wrestling, with sound logic, and does a good job of hiding his talent weaknesses. However, whenever he has had the book, the shows/his own promotion was very bland and boring. There is an entertainment factor that I think Cornette doesn't have a complete grasp of, and probably never will. There needs to be a balance. He's too old school in his philosophy.

Because SMW and OVW under Cornette's watch were just dullness personified and had no 'entertainment factors' about them...

I can't speak much for OVW, but Smoky Mountain indeed was pretty boring for the most part. Some characters were interesting enough to make up for it, though (New Jack). And I'm not one of those Russo fans, I think he's awful, and Cornette is clearly a better candidate for the position. I think TNA would be better ran how Bill Watts was running the UWF. Enough storyline/entertainment to it so it does not bore, but also not chaotic.

I can't say I like or hate this idea. One thing's for sure, though; If it came out that Russo suggested Kong vs Angle, the majority of the posters here would've shit all over it. But because Lance said it, it's a cool idea.

While that's probably an accurate assessment, Russo would definitely not have booked an angle along the lines Storm laid out. In Russo's scenario he would probably have had Kong beat Angle clean then hire a lawyer and have the lawyer be all "No man can touch this woman, that is the law!" or something.

While that's probably an accurate assessment, Russo would definitely not have booked an angle along the lines Storm laid out. In Russo's scenario he would probably have had Kong beat Angle clean then hire a lawyer and have the lawyer be all "No man can touch this woman, that is the law!" or something.

And it's the way Russo would have approached the idea that people would have 'shit all over', rather than the basics of the idea itself. If Storm or anyone else had given a Russo-esque idea about presenting Kong vs. Angle, it would have got ripped, and rightfully so. But that seems to much like a common sense approach to things for some people.

I'm actually not a Lance Storm commentary fan.

I think he goes way to far to bury what he doesn't like...especially for a guy who never escaped the lower midcard...

But I liked what he booked. It made sense. I'd pay to see it.

And...it IS better than what TNA has been booking (outside of Kim and Kong just ruling the world)

I think he goes way to far to bury what he doesn't like...especially for a guy who never escaped the lower midcard...

I hate to nitpick but Storm was the U.S. Champ in WCW several times. I'll grant you WCW was on its deathbed at the time and the U.S. title's prestige had dropped but it was still a solid mid-card title and IIRC, he even main evented a Nitro or two. That's not even mentioning his ECW or SMW runs and his brief runs with the IC and Tag Team titles in WWE.

I hate to nitpick but Storm was the U.S. Champ in WCW several times. I'll grant you WCW was on its deathbed at the time and the U.S. title's prestige had dropped but it was still a solid mid-card title and IIRC, he even main evented a Nitro or two. That's not even mentioning his ECW or SMW runs and his brief runs with the IC and Tag Team titles in WWE.

He held the IC title aswell.

People think that putting Kurt Angle, the TNA World Champion in a feud against the WOMEN'S Champion is a good idea? Dear God, what happened to this forum? I can't imagine any scenario where I would be willing to pay money for a PPV with that main event.

How about properly pushing the people who actually deserve a world title feud?

Sexist bullshit.

Give me one example of a promotion putting a women in the main event against that companies champion that was built correctly and/or made money?

I have to agree. As intriguing as the idea sounds, I would probably not really want to see it played out in reality. Call me sexist if you'd like, I don't want to see females beating up males, especially not in a world where if you hit a woman, you go to jail.

I just don't see how this could be a good idea at all. You either make Kurt Angle, your World Champion and one of, if not THE, top star in your promotion like a joke or a women beater. It's a double-edged sword. You pop a buyrate for one month at the expense of making the guy carrying your promotion look like a tool.

Give me one example of a promotion putting a women in the main event against that companies champion that was built correctly and/or made money?

Except for on some indy shows with badasses like Mickie Knuckles or Lufisto kicking the shit out of the top guys, the answer is of course "never". But you load the question by adding that "built correctly and/or made money" part, because nobody's ever seriously floated a female contender for the top title. Chyna is the closest example, and her combination of ego, drugs, general insanity, and lack of talent both in the ring and on the mic kept her from going farther than she did. But she was OVER like no woman ever has been before, and clearly the majority of the audience bought her as a legit tough fighter who could hang with the guys.

Wrestling's always been very conservative and behind the times. For years we've had shitloads of successfull action movies and TV shows which featured women beating the shit out of men on an equal footing. I don't think that people will be shocked into never watching wrestling again because it dares to portray a woman as something other than a helpless victim. In a world where both Charlie's Angels flicks made a zillion dollars, I think people are perfectly capable of accepting a violent competition between males and females, as long as they're portrayed as being equals and it's not just "woman-beating".

Heh, Kong cuts a promo back when Cage was NWA World Champ about how she's coming for the World Title...

Just thought I'd post that as she's obviously had this sort of idea before. :P

I just don't see how this could be a good idea at all. You either make Kurt Angle, your World Champion and one of, if not THE, top star in your promotion like a joke or a women beater. It's a double-edged sword. You pop a buyrate for one month at the expense of making the guy carrying your promotion look like a tool.

Angle looks like enough of a tool without this storyline, so I don't see where your complaint really comes from.

Angle looks like enough of a tool without this storyline, so I don't see where your complaint really comes from.

So lets put him in there with a women who is slightly bigger than the X-Division guys, have them beat each other up, and then afterwards, forget how the world champion was either beaten by a girl or made a women tap out.

I've seen some bad fantasy booking on this board, but everyone supporting this because it's from Lance fucking Storm is hilarious. If he made a blog next week about how Shark Boy should be main eventing, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see people on this forum go along with that.

It has nothing to do with Lance Storm. It has everything to do with your peculiar insistence that no woman could ever, no way, nuh-uh, EVER have a match with a guy without that guy looking like bitch.

a women who is slightly bigger than the X-Division guys

Which Awesome Kong have you been watching? She's way bigger than Angle, and makes two X Division guys. With devastating offense which makes her look like Big Vagina Vader. Why is it not credible to believe that, if she hits you, it would hurt?

Because no woman could EVER beat ANY man. Would it be believable for Kong to demolish Angle? Hell no. That's not what we're saying. She's a beast, but Angle IS an Olympic champion. The match would have to end with Angle going over, but with Kong having an impressive showing. And we're not saying "let's forget that he fought a woman" afterwards, we're saying "let's remember just how much of a badass bitch Kong is, as she stood up to FORMER OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST and MULTIPLE-TIME WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION Kurt Angle." It's somebody who doesn't need anybody to ever really put them over again (Angle) putting over (through defeat) somebody that has a (hopefully) long career ahead of her (Kong).

I can understand all of that Corey, it makes perfect sense and I wouldn't have a problem if they went that way with it. However, let's say that they did do the match and Angle did go over Kong, even with her looking strong throughout the match.

Where exactly would they go with her after the match?

Do they ever allow her to go over an actual male "superstar"? Is it done just to get her even more over in the Knockout division? If that's the case, where do they go with that division? They would certainly have to bring in some bigger female names, other women who could stand up to Kong.

All I know is that in my opinion, she's the best heel in TNA right now, and one of the only true monsters in all of wrestling at the moment in mainstream USA. I almost feel that the simple Knockout division is far too petty for her, and she deserves something more. That will either have to be sticking her in there with the guys, or continue to promote and push the hell out of the Knockout division, bringing more people like her in, and so on.