TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

Questions to be answered by the next person to post in the thread

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Thread guidelines:

I ask a question, and the next person in the thread answers it, then asks their own question for the next person to answer.

This can ask an opinion, trivia, stats, whatever. Any sport is fair game.

Question #1:

Who's the better QB and why (define your own criteria): Drew Brees or Carson Palmer?

I have to go with Brees here. Palmer might get a bit better next year as he will have had that much longer to heal his knee injury that could have been career ending. If Brees had Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh, he would have done even better than he did with the Saints this year. They are fairly even, though, so this was a very good question in my opinion.

Question #2:

Why has the stolen base gone the way of the dodo?

Because the pendulum of the game has swung back toward heavy hitters and waiting for the three-run homer, as opposed to dominant pitching and "manufacturing" runs. Plus, more front-office people have caught on to the fact that that stealing bases hurts your offence unless you get someone who hardly ever gets caught.

Question #3: Why will soccer never catch on in the United States?

Attention span and style of the game. It goes beyond low scoring; every accepted pro game outside basketball can be low scoring, but soccer's 45 minute unbroken halves make a 1-0 or 2-1 game seem infinite. Too many patches of build-up without release; in football, a non-scoring drive at least ends with the finality of a punt or a turnover or a big sack on third down. The best athletes in the country are also heading where the money is--no one who's enough of an athlete to perhaps excel in several sports is going to choose soccer, or at least not soccer in a U.S. league.

Question #4: What active, regular player has the worst contract out of the Big 3 + hockey? I don't mean a Darius Miles who never plays kind of guy, but a person who plays regularly for his team, gets his name called by the announcers, and is still insanely overpaid by any reasonable criteria.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Why will soccer never catch on in the United States?

Too much competition. To initially make an impact in this country requires players from other places around the world, so why come here when one could play in the Premier League or latin america or places where Soccer is god. Conversely, americans are apeshit over football, baseball, and basketball, in that order. Golf is probably next (think participation). Soccer is just something the kids can play without killing each other and investing in expensive equipment.

Edit: Question in next post.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Question #4: What active, regular player has the worst contract out of the Big 3 + hockey? I don't mean a Darius Miles who never plays kind of guy, but a person who plays regularly for his team, gets his name called by the announcers, and is still insanely overpaid by any reasonable criteria.

Clemens is the knee-jerk reaction for me.

I'll take your question a different way, too. "Worst" contract; Marques Colston. He isn't even bringing in a million dollars this season.

Question: On a scale of 1-10, 1 being nothing, 10 being team owner, what do you know about Cricket?

Question: On a scale of 1-10, 1 being nothing, 10 being team owner, what do you know about Cricket?

I'm about a 4. I know the basic rules of the game, but the scoring still confuses me. I actually watched a cricket match on TV for an hour when I was in London, and it was rather interesting.

Question #6: What do you consider the greatest Super Bowl ever?

SuperBowl XXXVIII, Patriots vs. Panthers. It had everything: a defensive struggle to start followed by a scoring explosion at the end of the 1st half, then an exposed nipple, capped off by one of the most exciting 4th quarters I've ever seen. I still watch that game now and then.

Question #6: Do you think hockey will ever regain anywhere near the status it had in America 10-20 years ago?

It can get to that point, but for hockey to get there it has to do certain things to regain its momentum that it threw away. They need to get rid of teams. Case in point, some things are just not meant to be mass-marketed, and hockey is one of em. That is just not something people all over are gonna interested in. So they have to get rid of the teams concentrated in areas where hockey just isn't that big. I'm not saying get rid of all southern and mid-western teams, but a bunch of em have to go.

Another thing has to be done, get rid of east/west conference setup. That's BORING!!! NObody cares about that. Bring back the Campbell and Wales conferences. And also rename the divisions to the names. What are you gonna do next, call the Stanley Cup the "NHL Championship Trophy"? That lacks flavor.

Now also, shorten the season. And NO POINTS for just getting to overtime.

Introducing shootouts was a good idea.

Now with less teams in the league they can gain momentum and all games played in places that matter to the fans like the NE and Canada.

I put an emphasis on FLORIDA teams and this goes for all pro sports. What is the obsession with trying to jam as many professsional franchises down in Florida? It's NEVER GONNA WORK!!! Put em in places where the fans are gonna care.

That is what hockey needs to do to regain popularity.

Now for my question:

With the NFL's season setup being perfect, will there ever be another expansion team in the NFL? Will a team ever be contracted? Will a team ever move to a different city again? Basically what do you think is the future for the NFL in terms of number of teams, division setups, and locatons?

Guest Cock Ring Warehouse

There's not going to be an expansion in the NFL for years. The schedule is absolutely perfect now, the NFL shield has just been redesigned to reflect the eight divisions, and there aren't any more viable expansion locations left. There were no expansion teams between Seattle/Tampa and Carolina/Jacksonville, about 19 years, and I expect at least that much time before further expansion.

Teams won't be contracted in football, nor baseball, basketball, or hockey. It looks absolutely terrible for business, and the unions would never allow jobs to be eliminated. The last team to just cease existing in any of the big four is...shit, I don't even know. The Cleveland Barons, nee Oakland Seals, "merged" into the Minnesota North Stars for a while, but then de-merged into the San Jose Sharks. No team will ever close up shop.

Goodell is gonna get that Los Angeles team if it kills him. The Jaguars are the obvious failure, the Vikings still have no post-Metrodome plan set in stone, the Chargers want a new place, the Rams aren't really happy with the shoddily-built whatever-they're-calling-the Dome of the Americas these days, Buffalo is rapidly shrinking, and there's still no proof that New Orleans is a viable market. The plan that I'd like to see is a pair of moves resulting in return of the Los Angeles Rams and the new St. Louis Jaguars, but that might be a little convoluted. However, there's no doubt that the NFL wants its Los Angeles team in the NFC, the more lucrative of the television deals with its large markets (and popular Green Bay).

Other than getting back in LA, I don't see much changing. I don't think the Buffalo Bills will move; in spite of Western New York's apparent troubles, they'll find a way to sustain it.

My Q: how will history regard the Holmgren/Hasselbeck Seahawks? They changed the team from a perpetually 8-8 afterthought to a year-in-year-out playoff contender, reached a Super Bowl that they lost due to alleged referee malfeasance, and have fostered a feared road game for opposing teams because their fans can SCREAM REALLY LOUD! On the other hand, much of the Seahawks' success can be attributed to playing in an extremely weak-ass division with the worthless Cardinals, moribund Niners, and half-assing Rams, and even then, they're making the cut with 9-7 and 10-6 records. In spite of their one big run in 2005, the rest of those playoff appearances have been either sketchy wins like Romo's goal line fumble, humiliating losses like And We're Gonna Score or losing to the 8-8 Rams, or otherwise, downright forgettable. They're certainly not on par with the Levy/Kelly Bills, and a notch below the Reid/McNabb Eagles, so to whom are they comparable in terms of teams that get there but never pull it off?

(stepping outside of the format to aqnswer half of Porter's question: The most overrated Super Bowl MVP was without a doubt Larry Brown. He didn't have to do anything fancy to have those interceptions thrown right to him.)

There's not going to be an expansion in the NFL for years. The schedule is absolutely perfect now, the NFL shield has just been redesigned to reflect the eight divisions, and there aren't any more viable expansion locations left. There were no expansion teams between Seattle/Tampa and Carolina/Jacksonville, about 19 years, and I expect at least that much time before further expansion.

Teams won't be contracted in football, nor baseball, basketball, or hockey. It looks absolutely terrible for business, and the unions would never allow jobs to be eliminated. The last team to just cease existing in any of the big four is...shit, I don't even know. The Cleveland Barons, nee Oakland Seals, "merged" into the Minnesota North Stars for a while, but then de-merged into the San Jose Sharks. No team will ever close up shop.

Goodell is gonna get that Los Angeles team if it kills him. The Jaguars are the obvious failure, the Vikings still have no post-Metrodome plan set in stone, the Chargers want a new place, the Rams aren't really happy with the shoddily-built whatever-they're-calling-the Dome of the Americas these days, Buffalo is rapidly shrinking, and there's still no proof that New Orleans is a viable market. The plan that I'd like to see is a pair of moves resulting in return of the Los Angeles Rams and the new St. Louis Jaguars, but that might be a little convoluted. However, there's no doubt that the NFL wants its Los Angeles team in the NFC, the more lucrative of the television deals with its large markets (and popular Green Bay).

Other than getting back in LA, I don't see much changing. I don't think the Buffalo Bills will move; in spite of Western New York's apparent troubles, they'll find a way to sustain it.

My Q: how will history regard the Holmgren/Hasselbeck Seahawks? They changed the team from a perpetually 8-8 afterthought to a year-in-year-out playoff contender, reached a Super Bowl that they lost due to alleged referee malfeasance, and have fostered a feared road game for opposing teams because their fans can SCREAM REALLY LOUD! On the other hand, much of the Seahawks' success can be attributed to playing in an extremely weak-ass division with the worthless Cardinals, moribund Niners, and half-assing Rams, and even then, they're making the cut with 9-7 and 10-6 records. In spite of their one big run in 2005, the rest of those playoff appearances have been either sketchy wins like Romo's goal line fumble, humiliating losses like And We're Gonna Score or losing to the 8-8 Rams, or otherwise, downright forgettable. They're certainly not on par with the Levy/Kelly Bills, and a notch below the Reid/McNabb Eagles, so to whom are they comparable in terms of teams that get there but never pull it off?

How about those early 90's Eagles: Reggie White, Clyde Simmons, Seth Joyner, Randall Cunningham, Johnathan Brown (is that the DT's name who died?) Chris Carter..... 0 Super Bowls, 0 appearences

Q: I've been watching Football since 92 or 93 and I still don't totally get some scheme's. Is there some reason that teams never line up a WR in a TE slot, so the WR can use his speed to evade the OLB or Safety?

He'd get his ass kicked at the line of scrimmage.Since that question sucks, I'm going to answer the soccer one.

1.Gambling. Soccer is totally impossible to gamble on, because the Madrid's and the [other soccer powerhouse] always win, but the score is always something to the tune of 1-0, or 2-1. How do you gamble on a game like that? 50% of college basketball's popularity in America is the gambling that it creates in March. Soccer can't have that.

2.MLS players leaving for Europe. When I lived in New Jersey, Tim Howard played goalie for the Metrostars, and he was beginning to really build a reputation at Elementary School (lol) for being soccer's Martin Brodeur, but before his appeal really sank in, he left to play in Europe. If your emerging stars are constantly leaving, teams will never be able to build a relationship with teams. Everyone can remember their first favorite player on their favorite team, but American Soccer makes it impossible to have that.

Q: Where does Andre Johnson rank in terms of the NFL's best receivers?

If we're talking strictly wideouts, I'd probably put him in the bottom half of the top 10, or the top half of the next 10. There are at least eight receivers I'd take before him -- Moss, T.O., Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson, Torry Holt, Steve Smith, and Larry Fitzgerald. I'd have to think about whether to take him before Donald Driver. I can't decide how much Wes Welker and Marques Colston benefit from their QBs, but they'd be right there as well. Plaxico Burress would be another guy in the same range. Same with Braylon Edwards.

Next question: What is the worst sports town in the United States? State your criteria and your reasoning.

Guest Vitamin X

Miami/South Florida, by far. World championships in baseball and basketball in the past few years, and attendance is so shitty when the team is not in any sort of overwhelming contending position it's sickening. Speaking as someone who lived there for a couple years during both the Marlins' and Heat runs, and subsequent attitudes in the city, it's really quite terrible. It's like Los Angeles East as well, if you include the celebrities aspect. L.A., however, supports their Angels, Dodgers, and college football teams.

Next question: Name how and why you became a fan of your favorite team/sport.

Next question: Name how and why you became a fan of your favorite team/sport.

I became a fan of football and the Chicago Bears because I grew up in a similar environment that was lampooned on SNL with those skits about the Bears fans (Swerski or something), so it was hard for me to not become a fan.

Q: In basketball, who is more overrated, Michael Jordan or Kareem Abdul Jabbar or Wilt Chamberlain?

Worst Sports town: (All Time) Hartford, CT because being right between NYC and Boston makes it an afterthought. (Currently): Miami because nobody who lives their are fans of any sport sans football. All people who like baseball follow their teams during the pre-season, but then have cable to keep watching other teams. NBA is more of an after thought for most of the country. And their college football team gets more news for police records and deaths than touchdowns and wins.

Q: See below

Wilt, because he is the winner of the all time Kobe gunner award

Q: What is the number two sport/league in the country: NCAA college football or MLB?

Since Tsar didn't ask a follow-up, I'll answer VX's:

I didn't really follow hockey that much until I was about eight, I was always into baseball (The Blue Jays two World Series wins compounded that).

The year I really got into hockey was 92-93, which will still go down as one of the best seasons ever for the sport. Since my twin brother and I were both 8, we simplycouldn't possibly cheer for the same team. The Sens hadn't entered the league yet, and Toronto-Montreal was still the big one. With my family being all Leaf fans, my brother the most noted, I jumped onto the Habs bandwagon. The forthcoming possibility of a Leafs-Habs final cemented it. The Habs, of course, won it all that year.

Fun fact: My bro and I split a place for about ten months in 2005, three years after he got kicked from my folks' place. We had a hockey video game that featured a variety of old school teams, the 93 Leafs and 93 Habs among them. We had a best-of-seven series one afternoon, which my brother dubbed 'The Shoulda-Been Stanley Cup Finals". I won in seven games. He punched the wall. TODD GILL, of all people, scored the OT winner in Game Two.

My question: What record, in any sport (modern era only), is least likely to be broken?

Ripken's and Favre's respective consecutive games played and it's not even close. Those are holding up for a long time.

For a quarterback, I meant. Manning might come close but fall short. How far behind is he?

Considering he already has some pundits believing that, going on a second 19 win streak to complete one, if not THE, best season a team has ever enjoyed, I'd say yes.

Q: Which would be the bigger of the upsets, Chargers over Pats or Giants over Pats?

Chargers. Pulling it off with all three top guys hurting in single degree temperatures would be quite the feat.

Q: Which city will have a professional sports championship team first: Chicago, Philly, Atlanta or Seattle?

The Giants over the Pats would be the bigger upset. The Giants are fielding a shoe-string secondary out there and the passing game the Pats big advatage over all the NFL. Plus I think the play of Eli Manning is always in question. I think the Chargers do have the tools to beat the Patriots (LT, Gates, defense), so if they wound up beating the Pats, it wouldn't be as shocking.

Ill answer Kingpk question then pose my own:

I think Philly because the Phillies could finally get their act together. Atlanta team's are rebulding, the Chicago teams either suck, are under-acheving and/or getting back to championship potential (Blackhawks), Seattle has one team about to move to OKC and I can't see the Seahawks winning the Super Bowl anytime soon.

Which teams will be first to move cities?

Seattle Supersonics, Jacksonville Jaguars, the New Orleans Hornets or the Florida Marlins?