TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

Questions to be answered by the next person to post in the thread

I'm going to guess The Supersonics. They don't seem to have any sort of plan for a new arena unlike The Marlins. They don't have a post-disaster sympathy effect like The Hornets and they aren't semi-successful like The Jags. It's only a matter of time.

In a similar vein, which defunct sports team do you miss the most?

Supersonics. Only because current ownership is wanting to move them the hell out of Seattle.

Edit for KKC: The Houston Oilers. I wish I still had my "Luv ya Blue" towel.

Question: With how "weak" the NL Central is, will they ever become a "dominant" division or will they continue to be mediocre?

If you mean defunct by teams playing under different names I gotta go with the Houston Oilers. Loved their uniforms, colors, history. Had good players (saw Warren Moon when the Raiders were in LA) and were pretty sucessful. The Titans are pretty lame.

Question:

If you were hired as the New York Knicks GM today, how would you go about fixing the Knicks. Anything is fair game

Well, there's probably a lot that needs to be done but the biggest thing I would do as GM of the Knicks is convince Lebron to sign once he goes free agent. Until then it's just suck time much like the Celtics until recently.

In the same vein as the earlier Seahawks question, but more intriguing: How will history judge the Manning era Colts? Since they won the Super Bowl they can't be considered all time chokers really, would they be more like the football equivalent of the 1990s Braves?

Yes and No. If Indy made it to the Superbowl a few more times and lost then 100% agree, but instead they are like the Dallas Stars throughout the 90's. They've gotten to the conference finals and semi-finals, but always seemed to come up short against a better team or either an inferior team. When Dallas won the Stanley Cup against Buffalo, Buffalo was the inferior team, like Chicago was the inferior team against Indy.

Is Tiger Woods the best athlete in sports today?

My opinion is no, and that goes to Roger Federer, but really it is like 1 and 1A to me.

Question: Will we ever see another Division I Men's College Basketball team finish the season undefeated?

I will say that it can happen in about 15 years or so, but the team wont win the National Title

Should a league make a ruiling that if a player under contract does not come to Training camp be suspended for the entire season?

No doubt about it. But I think trainiing should be shortened for some people

Q. Will the Knicks ever win a championship under the current ownership?

Guest Cock Ring Warehouse

Championship? Championship? I just hope they can make the playoffs!

If Indy made it to the Superbowl a few more times and lost then 100% agree, but instead they are like the Dallas Stars throughout the 90's. They've gotten to the conference finals and semi-finals, but always seemed to come up short against a better team or either an inferior team. When Dallas won the Stanley Cup against Buffalo, Buffalo was the inferior team, like Chicago was the inferior team against Indy.

I don't understand this. Most championships are won by teams that are superior to their opponents. That doesn't devalue them. The '85 Bears were miles ahead of the Patriots, but other iterations of the Bears were not as dominant. I figure that the Colts will get one more Super Bowl before Manning is through, and they'll be like the '80s Giants that got to the Super Bowl when the 49ers didn't; a fine team in their own right with a significant coaching tree as a legacy, but forever in the shadow of those other cocksuckers.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

You didn't post a question.

Who are your top five currently active defensive linemen in the NFL?

Format note:

It's inevitable to have questions get skipped. Just ask them again later.

Albert Haynesworth

Kyle Vanden Bosch

Trent Cole

Adewale Ogunleye

Jason Taylor

For the defunct teams question, it has to be the Montreal Expos for me, followed closely by the Winnipeg Jets.

And to answer my own question from yesterday, my personal choice for worst sports town in America is Atlanta. You could move or contract all four teams in Atlanta, and most people wouldn't even notice. At least in Miami they care about the Dolphins somewhat.

What is the most successful expansion team in any sport since, say, 1975?

Albert Haynesworth

Kyle Vanden Bosch

Trent Cole

Adewale Ogunleye

Jason Taylor

For the defunct teams question, it has to be the Montreal Expos for me, followed closely by the Winnipeg Jets.

And to answer my own question from yesterday, my personal choice for worst sports town in America is Atlanta. You could move or contract all four teams in Atlanta, and most people wouldn't even notice. At least in Miami they care about the Dolphins somewhat.

What is the most successful expansion team in any sport since, say, 1975?

If we're talking about titles I would say the Florida Marlins. They have won two World Series. With that in mind, their fans don't seem to care one way or the other. So, the answer is:

The Colorado Avalanche.

Q. Are the outcomes of the big professional sporting events (ie. Super Bowl, World Series, etc.) controlled by Las Vegas?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

No. The sponsors control the event itself. The outcome is secondary.

Do you consider NASCAR to be a sport?

Yes, racing is a sport. Just not as major of a sport. Its behind the big three (NFL, College Football, and MLB) in terms of its popularity, but its isn't mainstream enough to get all kinds of people watching 3 hours of left turns.

Q: Which one is the more popular sport: College Football or MLB?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Baseball, easily. College football is widely loved, but as..kind of a sideshow, I think. Viewed subjectively, NCAA football is blind fanaticism to one's alma mater or nearby school or storied history. Objectively, it's gambling and looking for future pros. Period. This argument parallells why professional sports are largely more popular than amateur ones.

Who is the ugliest professional athlete of all time?

uglyuglymossi.jpg Cheech's former avatar, Don Mossi has to be up there. As for current players, Sam Cassell and Charlie Villanueva are certainly up there.

Question: Do you think Los Angeles will ever get another NFL team?

Question: Do you think Los Angeles will ever get another NFL team?

As been said ITT before, Goodell's hellbent on it, so I'd say yes.

Reading about the Baylor/UNLV football game in 1999 inspired this: What's the dumbest thing/decision you've ever seen in any sport?

Yes. Some team is going to end up moving to Los Angeles. Goodell will make sure it happens.

EDIT to answer JBB's question: Grady Little leaving Pedro in in Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS.

Question: Should the NBA drop the current East vs. West playoff format and go to a format seeded strictly by record, without regard to conference?

Yes. The "East" and "West" are just arbitrary methods of dividing teams up for scheduling purposes. And the NFL should do the same thing.

Question: You are starting an NFL team and have your choice of one of these two coach/QB combinations, which do you choose? Bill Belichick and Peyton Manning or Tom Brady and Tony Dungy?

Belichick and Manning. Sweatshirt's the better tactical coach. I'm not sure how much of the Colts fantastic retention from the draft can be attributed to Dungy or to ownership. Manning and Brady are 1a and 1b and the distinction's almost irrelevant.

Question: What's the most consistently entertaining and worthy-of-its-hype recurring sporting event?

March Madness, as a whole. The unpredictability makes it a must-watch every season.

Question: How would the NBA have played out had Michael Jordan not returned after the first retirement?

Question: How would the NBA have played out had Michael Jordan not returned after the first retirement?

Pretty much the same way it did except there would have been far fewer Wizards games on national TV.

What stadium will be the last one not to have a corporate name? I mean, we're down to a very few at this point (Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, and Cleveland Brown Stadium, plus a select few I know I'm missing), and with Fenway and Yankee Stadium aging, it's only a matter of time before those teams have no choice but to have new stadiums.

Pretty much the same way it did except there would have been far fewer Wizards games on national TV.

I'm talking when he returned for the 2nd Bulls 3-peat. What if he didn't return?

I'm talking when he returned for the 2nd Bulls 3-peat. What if he didn't return?

The Jazz, Knicks or Pacers would have a championship.

If you were to move a struggling NHL franchise, where would you move it to and why?

Winipeg or Quebec City, cause hockey already worked at both places at one time. I can't think of any American cities that really deserve an NHL franchise that doesn't already have one.

Of the three major sports (baseball, basketball, football), which is the most likely to have a successful second professional league?

What stadium will be the last one not to have a corporate name? I mean, we're down to a very few at this point (Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, and Cleveland Brown Stadium, plus a select few I know I'm missing), and with Fenway and Yankee Stadium aging, it's only a matter of time before those teams have no choice but to have new stadiums.

My first thought would be to say Yankee Stadium, just on the grounds of how much money the organization has. But with such young owners at the helm, who knows? I'll go with Fenway.

As for the hype question - I personally think The Masters, but you've gotta really like golf to appreciate it. Thus, I agree with BL on March Madness on the whole. 63 games in 13 days and lots of gambling, lots of upsets - that's an atmosphere that anyone can get into.

The NHL question is fairly loaded: If it's an American city, I'll say Vegas, but given the Ric Tocchet situation, that's a gamble, pun obviously intended, for a league trying to find its niche as far as marketing and public image. After that, I don't really think there's a city in the States that should be given a second chance - it's not working in Atlanta, and Kansas City didn't fail because of poor ownership the first time. (Colorado is an exception). Shitty ownership, did, however, ruin the Cleveland Barons/California Seals, but with, to some degree, the recent good play of the Browns, Indians, and Cavaliers, a hockey team is overcrowding a successful market.

So, and this should be obvious anyway, move it to a Canadian city (it's certainly more feasible with the exchange at the rate it's been the last 5 years). My first instinct is Winnipeg, with all the clamouring for a team there again, it makes sense. The destruction of the Winnipeg Arena puts a question around it; What does MTS hold? 15 or 15,5? That's pushing it, even with a hard cap. Quebec could probably support another team, but the French CBC no longer has La Soiree du Hockey, and RDS has a significant deal with the Habs, where do they get TV money from? Halifax has shown tremendous support for the IIHF events that show up there, but it's not a particularly rich section of Canada, as has been brought up in the NHL thread. So - the Hammer. The AHL/NHL thing won't conflict (i.e. fans will save money and go to the cheaper product), as we've seen in Toronto and Philly. Under no circumstance will the Maple Leafs ever need to worry about money, and given the success of the TigerCats every Labour Day against the Argos, a pre-made rivalry already gets Hamilton's team going. Buffalo could be a problem, but there's no reason to think that the 90-minute drive would detract fans from crossing the border - so that's eight of 41 games sold-out already in Buffalo. By the way, I went through this process without factoring in the Balsillie thing and the 10,000 deposits made.

Of the three major sports (baseball, basketball, football), which is the most likely to have a successful second professional league?

Basketball and baseball already do. But you're probably talking about leagues on par with the existing major leagues, and not the minor league system, so I'll say none of those sports have any chance of another league succeeding on any level. There are just far too many barriers -- to the talent pool and to TV being the most obvious -- for a startup from scratch to be successful.

Question: What would have to happen for you to stop being a fan of any of your current favourite teams?

Question: What would have to happen for you to stop being a fan of any of your current favourite teams?

I don't have a follow up question at this time, but this is an easy one to answer...as a Knicks fan, I'm getting very close to this point. I can't support a team that is in this much disarray especially after so many "oh so close" moments in the 90s. I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel at all for this franchise unless a new owner comes along and how often does THAT happen?

As it stands, I'm still a Knicks fan, but another season or two of this garbage and I'm done with them.

If the Chan Gailey and Dave Campo Eras couldn't kill off my love of the Cowboys, I don't know what could.

As for the Cubs, I don't think there's anything they could do to lose me as a fan, short of turning into a carbon copy of the Pirates or Devil Rays (i.e. bad managment, many years of shitty, hopeless teams, and low payroll/investment in farm system). After several years of that, I might dump them.

Question: Do you think that referees/umpires should have to face the media after games to answer questions about any questionable/wrong calls?

EDIT: Damn Lushus...too quick.

As for the Cubs, I don't think there's anything they could do to lose me as a fan, short of turning into a carbon copy of the Pirates or Devil Rays (i.e. bad managment, many years of shitty, hopeless teams, and low payroll/investment in farm system). After several years of that, I might dump them.

What if they won the World Series two or three times in a decade?