TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

Questions to be answered by the next person to post in the thread

Shot making like Tiger Woods. I can chip and putt fairly well, but my long irons are killing my golf game.

Seconded.

Next question: What professional athlete do you think is/was the biggest underachiever during his/her career?

In hockey, I think Bryan Fogarty. He was the defenseman known for breaking scoring records for defensemen in the OHL and scouts thought he had potential to be one of the greatest of all time. In 1988-89, Fogarty scored 47 goals (broke Bobby Orr's record), 108 assists, and 155 points with the Niagara-Falls Thunder, and once racked up 8 points in a single game. He was drafted 9th overall by the Quebec Nordiques in 1989. Sadly, Fogarty was an alcoholic and blew his chance to be a star in the NHL. He spent parts of three seasons with the Nords and their minor league affilate before being traded to Pittsburgh. The next season he was with the Montreal Canadiens, and also bouncing around the IHL. I remember when he was signed to a tryout by the St. John's Maple Leafs back in the late 90's, playing just 3 games. Fogarty died in 2002, at the age of 32. Pretty sad.

Alexandre Daigle was another huge underachiever, and he doesn't even have drugs/alcohol as an excuse. He was given chance after chance at the NHL level and didn't come close to exhibiting the potential he showed in junior.

Next question: What professional athlete do you think is/was the biggest underachiever during his/her career?

Shawn Kemp. He had a decent career and some great years but he had potential for so much more if not for his cocaine, alcohol and weight problems.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

For skills I'd like to absorb, (young) Mike Tyson's explosiveness and killer instinct.

Underacheiving athlete? How about Bobby Hurley? I remember him being hot shit at Duke, then got to the pros, wrecked a motorcycle or some shit, never impressed anyone, and faded into oblivion.

Who's the coolest gangly gigantic stick insect basketball player? Must be over 7'2" and skinny to qualify.

For skills I'd like to absorb, (young) Mike Tyson's explosiveness and killer instinct.

Underacheiving athlete? How about Bobby Hurley? I remember him being hot shit at Duke, then got to the pros, wrecked a motorcycle or some shit, never impressed anyone, and faded into oblivion.

Who's the coolest gangly gigantic stick insect basketball player? Must be over 7'2" and skinny to qualify.

I was pumped when I got a Bobby Hurley rookie card in pack, and dreamed of how much cash it was going to worth some day.

To answer your questions, I've always loved Manute Bol. Plus he beat the Fridge in a boxing match and is an adovacate for the oppressed in Sudan.

Who is the coolest short guy basketball player? Must be 5'6'' or shorter?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Spud Webb FTW.

Manute Bol is also the correct answer to my question.

Who's the biggest standout freshman college basketball player this year? Beasley? Mayo? Eric Gordon? Other?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I read something about a player they have named Evan Longoria. What's his deal?

I read something about a player they have named Evan Longoria. What's his deal?

One of the best prospects in baseball right now. He's 22 years old, a third baseman with a good bat and power. He led the AA Southern League in slugging percentage and OPS at a young age. He has hit at every level of the minors, and is probably MLB ready. He could spend a month yet in the minors, but he could easily rank among the best players in the league in a couple years.

SaveOnFoods Centre in Victoria.

I've often wondered if most corporate named venues are bad by design, and we just got used to them...would someone from Vancouver groan upon hearing Air Canada Centre? Also, Great American Ballpark and Nationwide Tour are exceptions to this rule.

Guest Bullshiterica

No it isn't, because the University of Phoenix doesn't have a football team. I think that one is really bizarre, actually.

If one more person tells me Wrigley Field is "actually a corporate name," I'll stick my shoe down your throat.

No it isn't, because the University of Phoenix doesn't have a football team. I think that one is really bizarre, actually.

If one more person tells me Wrigley Field is "actually a corporate name," I'll stick my shoe down your throat.

YEAH WELL SO'S SOLDIER FIELD BECAUSE THE MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX

Guest Bullshiterica

YEAH WELL SO'S SOLDIER FIELD BECAUSE THE MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX

Modssssssss, NoCalMike is hacking accounts.

What is the worst stadium name?

The Dunkin' Donuts Center (or "The Dunk") in Providence, Rhode Island. Nobody will ever move me from this opinion.

Papa John's Stadium (or field or whatever the suffix is) where Luhlvull plays football is pretty terrible. Also, I humbly submit Oregon State's Reser Stadium as a darkhorse candidate. While initially inoffensive, a little investigation will reveal that Reser is a company that makes potato salad and frozen burritos.

New Question: You're putting together a football team, but you can only pick athletes from other sports. Who do you pick, and at what position? (Feel free to do offense or defense or both, depending on how much time you want to spend. Don't skip the lines!)

Guest Bullshiterica

You forgot Salt Lake City's Energy Solutions Arena, which is in the business of dumping and managing toxic waste. To whom are you advertising? I still maintain that buying naming rights is a terrible investment for most companies, but I'm not a marketing maven. Maybe buying the rights to Wrigley Field and being universally resented at the expense of a few million and having your company's name begrudingly recited is great business sense. I don't know. You tell me.

Lest we forget Rochester, NY's Blue Cross Arena at the War Memorial. Take the community War Memorial and slap your name on the front. Classy.

Football team from other sports: My offensive line is sumo wrestlers. Quarterback would be...a baseball pitcher; though the throw mechanics are way off with five sumos in front he should be able to complete a pass during Monday Night Football with a 1pm Sunday kickoff. Running backs would be hockey players for some reason, and I guess they can play tight end too. Wideouts would be basketball players, probably SG/SF. Kicker would be a soccer player, punter a rugby player. Who cares about defense.

The new OHL arena in Kingston is named after the local rock radio station. So none of the other media outlets call it by that name, it's pretty funny.

Lest we forget Rochester, NY's Blue Cross Arena at the War Memorial. Take the community War Memorial and slap your name on the front. Classy.

Football team from other sports: My offensive line is sumo wrestlers. Quarterback would be...a baseball pitcher; though the throw mechanics are way off with five sumos in front he should be able to complete a pass during Monday Night Football with a 1pm Sunday kickoff. Running backs would be hockey players for some reason, and I guess they can play tight end too. Wideouts would be basketball players, probably SG/SF. Kicker would be a soccer player, punter a rugby player. Who cares about defense.

I meant the actual people, like, say... Jim Thome playing tackle or something.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

QB: Kobe Bryant. Tall, athletic, used to pressure and a leadership role.

RB: Michael Johnson

DT: Akebono

ILB: Mike Tyson

What's the worst non-catastrophic-injury physical breakdown you can think of? No Joe Theismann's here. Just a good athlete gone completely to shit quickly.

What's the worst non-catastrophic-injury physical breakdown you can think of? No Joe Theismann's here. Just a good athlete gone completely to shit quickly.

Are we talking about players that just started flat out sucking or age working against them?

Within the last two NBA seasons, we have two great examples.

Ben Wallace became completely inept when he left Detroit.

After Miami won their championship, Shaq has just physically crapped out.

Speaking of injuries, what's your favorite memory of a pro athlete getting hurt?