TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Krankor

TSM Fantasy Baseball 2008

Guest Vitamin X

s7ObEQJu.jpg

RP Russ Springer will bean your steroid users!

EiLzooyV.jpg

SP Josh Johnson is my first guaranteed keeper. I'm taking him before anyone else does. IK Cool Jew got me in the NBA league with this, this season with Greg Oden. Not letting it happen to me with Johnson too.

SP Josh Johnson is my first guaranteed keeper. I'm taking him before anyone else does. IK Cool Jew got me in the NBA league with this, this season with Greg Oden. Not letting it happen to me with Johnson too.

I sure hope he's a keeper, because he won't play for you this year.

Pictures...not....working....

St. Gabriel Selects:

RP, Scott Linebrink

Guest Vitamin X

Yes, I'm well aware. He's my Greg Oden of the league. My team is pretty much chock full of prospects and young guys with a couple exceptions, since I figure that even if I don't do great this year, I have a lot of options for keepers and for doing great next year or the one after. Also see Chris Carpenter for another pitcher I took on as an injury risk.

Yes, I'm well aware. He's my Greg Oden of the league. My team is pretty much chock full of prospects and young guys with a couple exceptions, since I figure that even if I don't do great this year, I have a lot of options for keepers and for doing great next year or the one after. Also see Chris Carpenter for another pitcher I took on as an injury risk.

That's an odd comparison. Oden is one of the best young big men to enter the NBA in years and Josh Johson is, well, Josh Johnson. Maybe you know something that I don't.

Guest Vitamin X

Hey I don't confess to knowing much about baseball. I only started getting back into it last season.

And Oden's unproven, especially after major surgery and being out for nearly a year. I figure the same will be with Johnson, but the potential is there, like with Oden. He was pretty good before he was injured, as I recall.

Guest Vitamin X

He's also slated to possibly return this July, so it might not be a total waste.

Johnson is expected to miss the entire 08 season. I haven't seen any report saying he'd be back as early as July. He isn't in the Marlins plans at all this year. They are looking at him for spring training 09. If he pitches it wouldn't be until probably September and it'd only be to see how he is progressing against major league batters.

Carpenter also underwent Tommy John and isn't expected to be back before the All Star Break. It almost seems like the Cards are rushing him back for some reason. Why the Cardinals would even bring him back at all this season seems stupid since their team has no shot at getting to the playoffs.

Both guys if they pitch at all this season are just going to be trying to get there arms up to strength for next season.

I don't see the big deal with it. Being in his position (no 2007 keepers) you need to take risks for the future. Stash them in the two DL spots for this year and Carpenter and Johnson should be nice value next season. At this point are there really any guys that are getting passed over that offer more upside? At round 17 you are pretty much in now or never territory.

I do think he took Carpenter too early....because I wanted him to make it to me in the 13th you bastard.

Eh, if anyone started it, it was me. It was a curious pick to me because I was certain he would go undrafted. But, a sixteenth-rounder isn't much to spend to guarantee you get him if you want him, I guess.

Four more picks to go, then I will be D-U-N.

Guest Vitamin X
Johnson is expected to miss the entire 08 season. I haven't seen any report saying he'd be back as early as July. He isn't in the Marlins plans at all this year. They are looking at him for spring training 09. If he pitches it wouldn't be until probably September and it'd only be to see how he is progressing against major league batters.

From CBSSports

Marlins SP Josh Johnson threw off a mound Friday for the second time in five days. Johnson underwent surgery on his right elbow last August. He hopes to rejoin the rotation in July, although he's braced for a setback in his recovery. "I'm trying to tell myself, don't get too high, don't get too low," he said. "They tell you that setbacks are going to happen. If I don't, then I'm one of the luckiest people to have the surgery." (Updated 02/29/2008).

I don't expect him to pitch or even pitch well, this season, but in the event that he does, I'll be glad to have him for 09. Him and Carpenter.

Overall, I think I've had a pretty strong draft thus far. There's only one more guy I'm targeting that I need to have, hopefully he doesn't get taken soon...

I'm just glad I'm done drafting players.

Last year I went the route of trying to get a solid veteran pitching staff. That all went down hill after the first month when they were all out with injury. I knew it was a question mark going into the season, but I didn't think it would have ended up as awful as it did.

This year I went young. My team's average age is 26. Pedro is my oldest player. I don't have a problem with that since he pitched great at the end of last season. His K/IP rate was fantastic. I have a huge surplus of good young pitchers, so even if he misses time I shouldn't have to scramble to replace him.

I also won't have to play the game of trying to unearth saves on the waiver wire this year. SS and 3B are my weakest positions. SS usually doesn't produce that great of stats unless you have one of the top 3 guys so I didn't feel like wasting any early picks on a guy that was just going to perform at the average level. I managed to find a fairly economical guy to fill the SS position. With all the quality third basemen getting scooped up early, I'm more than happy with a revitalized Tony LaRussa-less Scott Rolen in round 12.

My team is largely gonna be relying on the pitching staff (a healthy Randy Johnson will help) although after Paps, I have nothing in the saves category.

Offensively, I have a lot of young guys who could improve on last year (Mark Reynolds, Jack Cust, Mike Napoli, Daric Barton) mixed in with guys who are decent power options in Sheffield, Youks, and Guillen.

I'm hoping to get some more speed but I won't waste my last few rounds just for speed when I'm adequate enough.

30037523.jpg

Daniel Cabrera, SP

That's not Daniel Cabrera. It appears to be Danys Baez, #28. Cabrera is #35, taller, darker and incredibly inconsistent. Enjoy your enormous WHIP!

I don't know about sure fire keeper, but Josh Johnson was really good a few years ago. He was a keeper last year.

raises hand yeah, that was me.

Guest Vitamin X

Who was the champ last year, by the way? I'm curious to see who they have on their team this year.

Last year's champ was Deep Thought. He was the 4th seed going into the playoffs and managed to pull off the win.

30037523.jpg

Daniel Cabrera, SP

That's not Daniel Cabrera. It appears to be Danys Baez, #28. Cabrera is #35, taller, darker and incredibly inconsistent. Enjoy your enormous WHIP!

eh, I didnt notice it cause they both look the same coming off the mound..heads down in despair after giving up about 12 runs. D Cab probably wont even be in the rotation by June...

Johnny Cueto, P, Cincinnati Reds

Cueto__5_.jpg

Yeah he's not in the fucking yahoo player pool...