TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Krankor

TSM Fantasy Baseball 2008

I really think that everyone had a waiver claim in on Cueto. I checked the site almost daily to see if he was available yet.

I didnt..pft, and Im the one that needs pitching help so much that I picked up Tim Redding..haha

I ended up with Cueto, and i'm probably the guy that needed him the least. Adding Cueto to Santana, Peavy, Smoltz and eventually Escobar, the strong get stronger.

Oh god, it's like last season all over again for me.

Michael Cuddyer and Chad Cordero to the DL. That makes 4 players on the DL after one week and 1 NA for me.

I think we've been here before.

Also, we have another pending trade. If no one puts any argument against it, I'm going to put it through later tonight so that both teams can have their new players for next week. So Cheech and VX, make sure you set your lineups for next week after the trade processes.

Guest Vitamin X

Hey, I only have 5 healthy pitchers right now, and half of them are inexperienced/suck, so that's not doing me any good in that category. I needed Cueto more than anybody. :\

I basically turned Jacoby Ellsbury into Ryan Zimmerman, which makes me a happy camper. I traded in proven experience for potential and youth (yet again) by giving up Pujols and Manny for Carlos Lee and Cameron Maybin, but that's good because that'll free up some higher draft picks for me next year, since Manny and Pujols were my first two picks, and depending on how Helton performs this year, I might have my third pick free as well.

My offense has been utterly dominant although my pitching hasn't...

I'm nearing 30 R on the week and around 15 RBI so far but it doesn't help that I'm facing half the Orioles starting lineup. I also made a couple RP grabs (Mark Lowe & David Riske) for next week for their potential to give me Saves.

Trade number two of the season...

Portland Wet Sox acquires Derek Lee 1B, Ryan Zimmerman 3B, and Cameron Maybin OF

Stat Mongers acquires Albert Pujols 1B, Manny Ramirez OF, and Casey Blake 1B/3B/OF

Guys like VX and me didn't have the luxury of keepers to build our team around. We are trying to sort out rosters that can be decent this year and give us hope going forward. That was nigh impossible to do in the draft.

Guest Vitamin X

Cheech said it, but I'll explain why I traded away Pujols after championing him earlier in this thread. One thing I've quickly realized is that my pitching is way too awful for me to really contend this year, and so I'm building for the future. I solved my 3B problem in a big way by acquiring Zimmerman, and although I lost Manny Ramirez, I think that I've got a pretty good, young outfield ready, with Taveras stealing a ton of bases, Patterson who's having a comeback year thus far, and Alexei Ramirez who is reportedly going to be the leadoff guy for the White Sox, and has impressed a lot of people in camp, apparently. He has Cueto-level hype around him, but no one put a claim on him, so I'm happy with him and Cameron Maybin also has a lot of potential. So I gave up a possibly injury risk player (although one of the best in baseball when healthy) and an older player and got back my top two picks in this year's draft.

Unless I can get a good deal on some pitching help (would've loved to get Cueto.. grr) I probably won't make any more trades any time soon, although I am interested in trading Bobby Crosby or Jhonny Peralta if anyone needs help at SS for a decent pitcher. Both players should have good years this year, Peralta in particular is hitting great, although I'd be happy with Crosby as my option at SS.

My offense is really coming alive for the 2nd straight week...

I'm at 8/5/15 with 1 SB and also leading in OBP/SLG. That is without Cliff Floyd possibly starting until tomorrow too. My main concern over the season will be if the pitching staff can match the production of my offense on any given week.

With Bedard missing his 2nd start due to his inflamed hip, Im starting to worry that hip might be a bigger issue that could put him on the DL for an extended length of time. My pitching staff is weak outside of Vasquez without him though Im trying to piece together a staff with veterans like Millwood and guys like Parra and Eveland but I really cant count on them. Id consider a trade if someone wants Beltre for a SP.

I had the great week last week and now im screwed this week with Bedard going on the DL and not making a start. Millwood only went 4.2 innings and Ive gotten 1.2 out of Shields. Ive only got starts from Vasquez and Parra and another Millwood start on sunday. Theres not much chance I can get 28 innings.

Damn.

Guest Vitamin X

That minimum innings pitched rule is fuckin' bogus. I can't get 4-5 of my guys to pitch 28 innings together, not with two pitchers sidelined until July or so.

Well theres a price to pay for stashing guys who arent in the majors right now. Why don't you have Carpenter and Johnson in your DL spots?

Guest Vitamin X

Well shit, I was unaware I could even do that. Oh well. Looks like I'll be needing some pitching help, quick.

Even with my relievers a plenty chipping in innings, I have to be honest when I say that I'm crossing fingers at times in hopes that at least 1 starter will get multiple starts over the week.

I'm lucky this week that Randy will probably start Sunday so I should get at least 10 IP from him.

Granted, I could go the 4 SP a week to "be safe" but I'd rather not give up the ERA/WHIP categories just to meet an arbitrary minimum.

If you don't, you're playing with fire every week.

True but my current record (and 8-1 standing right now) says otherwise.

As long as you have "innings eaters" at MR and at least one SP go 2 starts a week, you should be fine.

Ideally you'd get

3 SP: 20 IP minimum (Assume an average of 5 IP with 1 guy going 2 starts)

4 RP: 8 IP (About 2 IP from each reliever)

Not accounting for injuries, one could easily get 30-33 IP out of such a grouping (SP = 24 IP at 6 per with RP at 8).

The key to this tactic of course is getting good starters who can go well over 200+ IP and relievers who can throw 60-80 innings a year. Essentially "starting" 4 pitchers if you combine the innings of the relievers.

For example, last year I could've had 3 SP at 202+ IP each with a "#4 SP" at 204.1 IP.

Granted there is a ton of risk with such a scenario but the rewards could be as equally enriching... one could essentially "count" on ERA/WHIP each week and given a dominant enough offense, win most weeks easily.

If you don't, you're playing with fire every week.

Ive got 4 SP and one of them went on the DL (on Monday I might add..after I could edit my roster) Last week my pitchers tallied 50 IP and got me wins in all but the save category. But this week combine the loss of Bedard and only 1 of my other 3 SP getting 2 starts and its gonna wreck me this week unless theres a total miracle or something.

This is why I hate the weekly rosters AND minimum pitching requirements. This happened to me at least twice last year, having one of my pitchers go on the DL after I could edit the rosters to pull him off the starting roster.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah the weekly rosters are annoying, but they add a nice challenge to this league.

I picked up a couple maybe-good pitchers yesterday, but I just realized that TSM is a pitcher-heavy league. Seems like every available top pitcher in the FA pool is DL'ed. I've still got either Bobby Crosby or Jhonny Peralta for trade (along with Ian Stewart) if anyone is interested in exchange for some pitching help. I offered Crosby to treble the other day in exchange for Shaun Marcum, but he didn't take it despite the fact he has too many pitchers and not enough hitting help, and Crosby is higher-rated. The only thing I ask for in a fair trade is to be offered someone within range of the rank I'm offered for. I'm actually playing Crosby this week because he's a good hitter now, but I don't want to keep switching between him and Peralta, thus he's up for trade.

I'm not 100% sold on Crosby staying healthy, and Marcum is maybe my best (healthy) pitcher right now. I'll trade any of my pitchers, though, if I like the offer.