TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Krankor

TSM Fantasy Baseball 2008

Guest Vitamin X

C

A

B

C's a fantastic idea, and it makes perfect sense too. Imagine if Johnny Cueto, who was undrafted due to not being in the Yahoo! Player Pool this year, ends up being a Cy Young winner in a couple years, it would only make sense that the guy holding on to him would have to pay more than a #20 for him. Same with me and Josh Hamilton/Carlos Gomez/whatever. I don't think that you should COMPLETELY lose the player after three years, now that I've thought about it for a bit, since it simulates being in a real league a lot more.

What's more disturbing is the fact that we're even holding a discussion about keeper leagues and talking about things in terms of years and years, as if TSM and its community will continue to exist forever. Like, making decisions about next year already? It's kind of nuts for our online community to have that kind of stability.

Option C: The Hybrid

Keepers can be kept for 3 years at their original draft value. After 3 years, if they have a draft value of round 11-20, their round value would have 5 rounds deducted from it. If the player has a draft round value of 1-10, than 3 rounds would be deducted from it. This would happen each year until the player would eventually be worth a first round draft pick.

Example: Brian McCann has a draft value of 18. Once three years are up, he would have a draft value to start the fourth season of 13. If kept for the fifth season, he would have a value of 8. If kept for a sixth season, he would have a value of 5. If kept for the seventh season, he would have a value of 2. If kept again, he would have a value of 1 and that value would remain constant until Brian McCann is no longer kept.

Why ya gotta use me as an example?

Interesting question though, if someone were to keep their picks 1-6, how would this hybrid system affect them at all? You can't move the picks up in value, they're still going to lose picks 1-6 no matter what, so essentially for them its Option A without the 3 year limit.

Hot prospects who go undrafted will end up with a draft rank of 20 for 3 years, 15 in the 4th, 10 in the 5th, 7 in the 6th, 4 in the 7th and 1 in the 8th..if someone keeps one player that long (if the league even keeps going that long lol) then congratulations to them for having someone who probably wont be near their real draft rank value until year 7 at least..

--

My keepers will be Braun RD 20 (2nd keep), McCann RD 18 (3rd Keep), Vazquez RD 8 (2nd Keep), Bedard RD 4 (2nd Keep), Gonzalez RD 3 (1st Keep)

and Nathan RD 2 (2nd Keep)

Essentially should I want to keep them again next year my rounds would be 20/13/8/4/3/2 and the next year after that (2010) would be 15/8/3/1/3/1 which would equal out to 15/8/4/3/2/1.

I doubt I'll be keeping anyone besides Braun/McCann/Gonzalez (they are all still young and very good, whereas I can probably do better in the draft for pitchers) past next year anyway so..

I just used McCann because he was the first guy that popped into my head when I was thinking of a random guy that would be kept for quite a long period of time.

Interesting question though, if someone were to keep their picks 1-6, how would this hybrid system affect them at all? You can't move the picks up in value, they're still going to lose picks 1-6 no matter what, so essentially for them its Option A without the 3 year limit.

It wouldn't. That's the point of the system. The purpose of the keeper system is so that teams get charged a cost if they keep guys that are cheap for long periods of times so that eventually the player will have a more realistic value. If you're keeping guys drafted in rounds 1 through 6 than they obviously are probably worth it and the team is already paying top draft value for them. If you want to keep guys with that expensive a value for a long time than that's perfectly fine.

Also, If you selected one of the keeper options in your post I must have missed it.

Trade number eleven of the season,

NuclearHD acquires Mark Teixeira, 1B

Reinsdorf's Gang acquires Vernon Wells, OF

I might be able to pull out 28 innings after all. 4 IP tonight needing 5.2 more with Bedard pitching. My stats are gonna be ugly but at least I wont give up all 6 categories for a braindead moment I had not putting a 4th SP in.

Guest Vitamin X

Awful. So much for trying to climb back into contention. I guess CanadianWhoever (I forget if it's Chris or Guitarist) won that side of the Derrick Lee-Josh Hamilton trade. Crappy.

This week is going to be hard on me with 4 Brewers on my fantasy squad all playing well and the Orioles playing them over the weekend, though it will be fun to get to see my new favorite NL team play.

My team breakdown is kinda wierd too

4 Brewers

3 Indians

2 Braves

2 Padres

2 Mariners

1 White Sox/Rangers/Twins/Pirates/Dodgers/Giants

Trade number twelve of the season,

Team Random Hero acquires Jeff Francis, SP

Landfall Jacobites acquires Brian Bannister, SP

Damn tons of trades happening this morning...

Trade number thirteen of the season,

Born To Runner Up acquires Magglio Ordonez, OF and Troy Percival, RP

Reinsdorf's Gang acquires Delmon Young, OF and Armando Galarraga, SP

Trade number fourteen of the season,

Toronto Dirtbags acquires Andy Pettitte, SP

Reinsdorf's Gang acquires Dmitri Young, 1B

It's apparently a Young family reunion on the Reinsdorf's Gangs' squad.

Trade number fifteen of the season,

Mighty Quails acquires Troy Glaus 3B, Bobby Abreu OF, and Mark Buehrle SP

Reinsdorf's Gang acquires Brad Hawpe OF and Dana Eveland SP