TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Krankor

TSM Fantasy Baseball 2008

Guest Vitamin X

My team's a bit odd in the aspect that I started out the season thinking I could get some good production out of my hitting, but it's my pitching that has been really great, while my hitting has suffered big time. If Zimmerman comes back after the All-Star break, that's a good deal for Landfall Jacobites, who does look like they could still contend since Willy gives pretty much an instant win every week in stolen bases (he had like 4 in one game, then 3 in another the same week! I think I won SB like 11-2 or something..) but I desperately needed help in runs.

Now if I could make a deal for a catcher, that would be great. I have an overload of great relief pitchers... Any takers?

I logged in this morning to find I had a staggering FOUR hitters on the DL, with one of my starting pitchers potentially heading there as well. :(

I have a feeling my team is going to hang around the fringes of the playoff race, before breaking my heart in August once again.

I've got four guys on the DL. Two pitchers and two hitters. Carmona and Hernandez are supposed to be back soon. Zimmerman might be starting a rehab assignment soon.

I'll take the SB from Taveras. My OF is still a problem area for me. I'm hoping Span stays on the roster when Cuddyer returns.

Trade number nineteen of the season,

Team Jefferson Darcy acquires Bengie Molina C

The Young Familia acquires Jayson Werth OF and Manny Corpas RP

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, SteakGrowsOnDmitri, I could've offered you a MUCH better RP and OF for Molina if you were going to settle for Werth and that crock of shit Corpas.

Whoever Team Jefferson Darcy is, if you're interested in bettering your team and passing off Molina to me, hit me up.

Ya, I didn't understand that trade either. I guess Corpas is what interested him. Who Knows.

I still vote the Bannister for Francis trade that I was involved in as the most pointless trade of the year since it hasn't worked out well for either team.

He randomly offered for Molina and I needed a short term relief for Wells so Werth fit the bill. Corpas won't last long and he's gonna fail as a closer soon so whatever. I'm out of contention either way.

Option B is the big winner for number of keepers. The wording to league rules A and B has been slightly modified to implement the new rule change.

That leads us to the next poll, keeper due date. In the past, we've pretty much had no rule when keepers needed to be in by and in some cases the keepers were selected almost right before the start of the draft. There was discussion earlier in the thread of wanting a due date after the season is over for keepers to be in by. We definitely do need a definitive date for keepers to be in and finalized by. So here's some logical options I've come up with that we can vote upon. I tried to pick easy dates that are fairly simple to remember. For all of these options it doesn't mean wait until the last minute to select keepers. You can literally post keepers at any point during the year. This is just the absolute date they are finalized by. Anyone that doesn't have some form of keeper list turned in 2 weeks before the due date I'll send a pm to informing them that if they intend on keeping anyone they need to turn in a list by the due date.

Keepers would be due at Midnight PST on the dates listed below.

Option A: October 1st - End of Fantasy Playoffs

This is a few days after the end of the fantasy playoffs and the MLB regular season.

Option B: October 14th

This is about 2 weeks after the fantasy playoffs should be done. It's right in the middle of the MLB Playoffs. Gives teams in the fantasy playoffs some time to digest how there teams performed.

Option C: November 1st - End of the MLB World Series

Last year the World Series ended in 4 games. So it probably would have gone past the 1st. If that happens we'll push it back to something like the November 7th.

Tally:

A: 1

B: 1

C: 14

Didn't vote: Will, Roy, Bored, Cheech

Guest Vitamin X

I don't see what's wrong with doing keepers just around the time the Yahoo! Leagues open up. I don't know about most people, but I tend to use the cheat sheet in Yahoo! while the draft goes on. So much can go wrong during the off-season between trades, injuries, and whatnot, that keepers could be a tremendous liability.'

That said, I'll pick option C since it is the latest one.

I think the general sentiment was that a lot of people were switching up keepers right before the draft because either they picked a guy that was blatantly going to be hurt and they shouldn't have or they picked a very old player that is more than likely going to retire and then they found out he retired and wanted rid of him. Off-season hooplah shouldn't be necessary to help a team decide upon keepers. We also didn't have any definitive date and time when things could kind of be officially packed in for the season and this will give us that.

I mean obviously an exception to the rule could be made if something ridiculously tragic happened and someone was seriously injured or killed via non-baseball activities. But I mean if you kept a pitcher with a history of shoulder problems and he felt a twinge in winter ball... Absolutely not.

Also, the trade deadline is August 10th. If things continue to sputter with my team, in the next week, some starting pitching might become available along with guys like Carlos Lee and Jason Bay. If the Rockbirds shell me this week, which looks possible and probable that might be it.

Well after my latest blow out loss there's no point in trying anymore, time to do a fire sale. Carl Crawford, Adam Dunn, and Aaron Cook are on the block. Flame on!

Oh and that's not to say I'm going to just give them away, at least try to make a decent offer.

Trade number twenty of the season,

NuclearHD acquires Carl Crawford OF and Aaron Cook SP

Rebels of Oakland acquires Corey Hart OF and Eric Hurley SP

Just to put it out there early.

I'm going to be starting a PhD Program this fall, so my time for fantasy sports stuff will be limited. I'll do my damnedest to get this team to the playoffs (for the third straight year) but after this year, I'll be hanging up my manager's cap.

Thanks for the good tmes!

It looks like Im gonna beat Serenity this week, either 11-1 or 12-0 possibly. 11-1 leaves me 2 1/2 back and gets me feeling better about things after a couple of rough weeks over the last month in which I was amazed Id managed to hold on to 2nd place.

Trade number twenty-one of the season,

Toronto Dirtbags acquires Miguel Tejada SS and Vladimir Guerrero OF

Serenity acquires Derek Jeter SS and Carlos Villanueva SP/RP

Oh motherfucking bloody hell, Yahoo told me the trade would be fully processed on Wednesday, so now I've got an empty SS spot and Vlad Guerrero sitting on the bench. And I was away all day yesterday so I couldn't even check to make sure. Thanks a whole fucking lot, Yahoo.

Any way we could change it next year so that rosters don't lock until the first pitch is thrown on Monday?

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah I'm still waiting on a trade being approved BY THE COMMISH here that I would've liked to put into effect this year.

Maybe next year we can think about going into daily rosters instead of this weekly stuff? It's kind of a pain with all the different games and series always going on..

That trade got processed like the middle of Saturday afternoon... That's why I always set my roster Sunday night to make sure I have a full healthy lineup for the following week. Trades get processed instantly or as soon as I see it since we already decided that the only purpose for the trade review is to avoid trades from being processed on Sunday.

H. No trades will be processed on Sundays after 12pm, noon Eastern Standard Time. Any trade that is not cleared on or before this time will be processed on Monday. This will ensure that managers do not get trapped having empty roster spaces due to a late trade right before the 12 AM, midnight Pacific Time, deadline the rosters for the coming week are due.

We voted at the start of the season to not allow any trades on Sunday after noon. That is why the trade wasn't put through. Your trade had a time stamp of 10 pm of Sunday in my inbox. I'm not putting that shit through because it goes against league rules. When we did that last year teams got fucked up and had players on their bench because they did not check back and edit there rosters. That's why the rule went into effect.

Also, for weekly roster changes, Yahoo forces rosters be in at midnight pacific time. They do not have an option for first pitch thrown on Monday. If they did we'd already would be using it. We'll vote next year on the league settings, weekly/daily changes are included in that.

Trade number twenty-two of the season,

Landfall Jacobites acquires Carlos Gomez OF

Portland Wet Sox acquires Yadier Molina C

Also I'm going to send out pm's to the remaining managers that haven't voted on when to have keeper lists due. Lets try and get that poll finished by noon eastern on Wednesday. It clearly looks like C will win.