TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Krankor

TSM Fantasy Baseball 2008

Guest Vitamin X

Alright, thanks for clarifying that. I wasn't aware of that.

I'm really going to lobby strong for daily roster changes next year. We do this in the TSM NBA League, and it's actually much less necessary in that league than it is in baseball, where you have constantly changing opposition, pitchers, etc. It doesn't change much for pitchers, but for batters it makes an enormous difference as maybe it would be better to play a first baseman with better power in a hitting ballpark for one series, but then the next series play the guy with better OBP or something. There's a lot of factors at play and a bit more strategy involved that just saying "okay fuck it, that's my roster for the week- oh, what's that? my player got injured on Tuesday? can't fix that until next week!" which is pretty unfair in my opinion, especially for those of us who have had to deal with underperforming or injured players all year. Now, I'm not taking that as my excuse for how terrible I've been this year (I blame that on trying too hard to find a great value through trades and on being an expansion team), but it could make our league a bit more competitive in the future.

I have fought this fight many times so i'm with you. The only drawback is we would have to set limits on the number of games we are allowed for each position.

Daily rosters are extremely necessary in the NBA league. NBA has more games off during the week by far than the MLB so you've got to be rotating guys in off your bench constantly to rack up the stats. Sometimes NBA teams play 4 games a week and sometimes they play as few as 2 games a week. Weekly NBA rosters would be a nightmare in trying to determine how many games certain players were playing a week that I wouldn't want any part of.

If daily rosters were implemented here, it would actually have a larger effect on pitching staffs. I know for me my biggest thing each week is making sure I have at least a couple pitchers throwing two games in my lineup. With daily changes, you could then load up your staff with closers and middle relievers and eat up even more saves and holds and rotate starting pitchers in to the SP slots for the days that they are scheduled to start.

I do like the idea with weekly rosters that I have to make a decision Sunday night of what set of guys I want to roll out for the following week. It makes me more aware of exactly what guys are doing and I can be more patient with slumping players and give them a week off to get there game back up to par.

That is without a doubt on the slate of things to do right away next season once we get 20 teams signed up.

I've always been a proponent of daily roster changes as well (much like VX).

"I know for me my biggest thing each week is making sure I have at least a couple pitchers throwing two games in my lineup. With daily changes, you could then load up your staff with closers and middle relievers and eat up even more saves and holds and rotate starting pitchers in to the SP slots for the days that they are scheduled to start."

It's funny you said that because... that's been my strategy all season using the "weekly" format and I'm currently sitting in 6th place. I'm basically running out 3 SP knowing at least one can go 2 starts and that everybody will usually get me over the minimum IP limit. I think with daily limits, it'll almost be worse to have that "bad start" from a SP because that's one start that was ruined and now you're in the dilemma of trying to completely reverse that bad game (i.e. load up on the MR to salvage ERA/WHIP) or accept it and try to just go for the other categories that week (W/S/H).

Guest Vitamin X

Plus, with our league, it is very, very difficult to come across quality players who aren't already taken. Seriously, I don't play in other leagues but ours seems to be particularly difficult.

The free agent list is usually a pretty frightening place...

I think that's one of the reasons we've had so many trades this season.

That trade got processed like the middle of Saturday afternoon... That's why I always set my roster Sunday night to make sure I have a full healthy lineup for the following week. Trades get processed instantly or as soon as I see it since we already decided that the only purpose for the trade review is to avoid trades from being processed on Sunday.

Like I said, I was out all day Sunday, so I didn't have a chance to look at my roster, and I never bothered to look at it Saturday. I looked at the message when I accepted the trade that it would be reflected in Wednesday's roster, forgetting that it would go through earlier if it was processed by the commish.

It's totally my fault, I just wanted to randomly vent.

I got bit by the injury bug losing McCann to a concussion (possibly out a couple weeks since the Braves are out of contention) and Young for a week (Im not gonna bother picking a SS up for one week since there aren't any good SS available)

I choose C as well. Option C is the winner by a landslide. All keepers must be turned in by November 1st or 1 day after the World Series is over at midnight Pacific Standard Time.

That brings us to our final thing that I'm aware of that we need to vote on. A few people wanted this voted on earlier in the season so we'll vote on it. I for one am very very very much against it and I will explain the numerous reason in the next post.

Dropped Players Draft Round Value

If enacted, it would absolutely not be put into effect until the start of next season.

Option A: Dropped players do not keep draft value

If a player is dropped he automatically loses his original draft value and would than be equivalent to undrafted players such as a prospect or someone that was not a part of the 400 players drafted.

Example: Alex Rodriguez was drafted in the first round. He is dropped for whatever reason. Alex Rodriguez is subsquently picked up by a different team that did not draft him. Alex Rodriguez, if tagged as a keeper, would have a Round 20 draft value.

Option B: Leave it the way it is

We keep the same system that we've had. If a player is dropped he retains his draft value.

Example:Alex Rodriguez was drafted in the first round. He is dropped for whatever reason. Alex Rodriguez is subsquently picked up by a different team that did not draft him. Alex Rodriguez, if tagged as a keeper, would retain his original Round 1 draft value.

Tally:

A: 3

B: 14

Yet to vote: MJ, Roy, Bored

I vote B! B! B! B!

Normally I don't vote right away unless it is something I feel I need to. This is one of those cases. This post is lengthy and I'm going to post all my reasons for my vote one time so I'm just getting it over now.

First off, I think if we implemented this rule it would put teams at a disadvantage that keep a large number of players that they drafted. The rule change would give teams that drafted poorly and picked up a large number of mid-level type players from the free agent list that were originally drafted a bigger advantage. I think that Round 20 designation should be reserved only for the players picked up that weren't drafted. That round 20 value is a huge reward for managing to find a guy that all 20 teams didn't have on their radar during the draft. It’s not a small draft either, we draft 400 players... I don't think a team should get rewarded for simply scooping up some other team's mistake the same way a team currently gets rewarded now for finding that gem player that flew under the radar like Josh Hamilton or Edison Volquez. Teams would essentially be getting quality players, which in reality had no business being dropped in the first place, for dirt cheap. I've already seen quite a few damn good productive players this season get dropped that had absolutely nothing wrong with them. They weren't injured and weren't slumping. On really good fantasy teams you sometimes tend to run out of room at points in the season and have to make a tough choice and drop someone just so you can get a guy off the DL. I do not think that because a guy gets dropped, his original draft value should be negated. Thus, causing him to be grouped in the category of undrafted players and mid-season prospects entering the big leagues.

A perfect example is, just a few weeks ago I saw Adam LaRoche get dropped as part of a trade. LaRoche was perfectly healthy and wasn't even slumping at the time. He got picked up by another team. I think it is quite stupid for him to be considered a round 20 value just because he was picked up out of the free agent pool. By him getting released does that mean he has zero value? Hell no it doesn't. He got picked right up and found a new team. If he had no value, one he wouldn't have been drafted and two after he was dropped he would have remained in the free agent pool the rest of the season without anyone ever considering picking his ass up. It’s completely unrealistic that a player would lose his draft value. It's the same as in real life, if a player gets cut by a team the team still has to pay his contract or another team has to pick up his contract. Hell, if I drop my 2nd round pick for no reason at all or even accidentally does that just negate him having value? Hell no.

If we get rid of the draft values when a guy is dropped it would be almost pointless to keep our same system of how we do our draft with teams not getting draft picks during the rounds in which they kept a keeper with that designated draft value. I can guarantee for the most part a ton of teams are just going to keep players that got dropped because they'll be basically free and not many guys that aren't legit superstars will be kept. We might as well revert to the boring system that we use in the NBA Keeper league where if you keep 6 players you lose your first 6 picks. If you keep for keepers you lose your first 4 picks. No strategy there. Keep your best 4 guys. Never keep a prospect unless you think he'd be drafted in the first couple rounds the following season.

I don't even want to think of how much a pain in the ass it would be to go back and determine who was picked up out of the free agent list and who wasn't at the end of the year to designate who was drafted by a team, traded, and picked up. It takes enough time the way we currently do it. It would take hours to determine all the other shit. Way too much work for something that wouldn't even make the league set up better.

I think we've finally gotten all the kinks out of our system and it is darn near perfect.

B.

Actually, thinking about this, I think we should take the draft value he had add it up with 20, divide it by 2 to determine where his value lies. Ex. Corey Hart gets dropped, he was drafted in Round 6, so he is picked up by someone else, which means you take 20+6=26, divide it by 2, which means his draft value is 13. Best of both worlds. If the number ends up to a decimal, round up.

Guest Vitamin X

B, although I really like Brooklyn Zoo's suggestion as well.

Are we going to vote on changing rosters to daily or weekly changes as well?

I think it'd be better to vote for the Weekly/Daily changes first thing at the start of next season. That way it includes the 1 to 2 new incoming managers. I know Stephen told me he's taking a year off and possibly will be back in 2 years. Never know who else might disappear as well.

We usually propose that question each year to start things off so I think it'd be best to do it that way again.

Also, the trade deadline is fast approaching.

No, I don't believe so. Waiver claims continue throughout the remainder of the season.

I believe it is 1 day from the time a guy is dropped or added to yahoo database. You can put a claim on any listed as on waiviers up to the minute that they are about to come off of waivers. Unfortunately, Yahoo is not anywhere consistent with the time that guys come off waivers. I've seen it very from 4am to 7am CST.

I guess I vote B, but I'd like it if we could change it to something like if a guy has been dropped for over a week or so, then his draft value resets. But I understand that may be too hard to keep track of.