TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Moments that irritated you

At the time, putting Road Dogg and Billy Gunn over LOD irritated the shitout of me.

Prince Iaukea over Rey Misterio to keep the TV title.

Fit Finley over Benoit to keep the TV title. Benoit had never had a belt which was stupid in itself, plus Fit was about as over as a fart in church in WCW.

- Anytime John Cena beats ANYONE with the STFU. He doesn't put a single ounce of effort into the move, other than making all those ridiculous faces, and screaming

- Raven tapping-out to Scotty Anton's "Clapper" in ECW. I know Raven was on his way out of ECW at the time, but the Clapper made The Rock's Sharpshooter look like Bret's in comparison.

- The already-mentioned Destiny debacle. Raven drilling Jarret with about 3 Evenflows, (1 or 2 of which were on chairs), then his cronies teeing-off on Jarret with their finishers only for Jeff "Dragonslayer" Jarrett to come back and win after one Stroke. At least the crowd showed their approval by pelting the ring with trash and calling Jarrett on the bullshit.

- No proper payoff to the HHH/Angle/Stephanie triangle

- John Cena retaining the title at Wrestlemania 21

- With the expection of the midget Rumble from RAW this past week, nearly anything involving Hornswaggle

- The overpushing of Candice Michelle. I won't argue the fact that shes pretty hot, and not bad for a women's wrestler, but she was schooling other female wrestlers that she had no business beating

Bobby Lashley as ECW Champion to a very very lethargic crowd response.

I was at the PPV where Lashley won the ECW title. When RVD handed CM Punk his first pinfall loss, this really seemed to piss-off a lot of the crowd, but we accepted it and moved on. The hate really sinked-in when RVD was pinned by Test. This was followed by LOUD BULLSHIT AND TNA chants. Lashley's lethargic crowd response was due to this. Big Show is legitimately from Aiken, SC, which is about a half-hour's drive from Augusta, GA, so he was the hometown guy for the night. By the time it came down to Lashley and Big Show, 1-on-1 in the EC, we were 100% behind the Big Show. When Lashley was on offense, he was greeted with loud BOO's, or a random "TNA" or "Where's my Refund?!" chant would start. When Big Show would make a comeback, the place would erupt in support. By the time Lashley won with the weak spear of doom, we honestly didn't give a flying fuck. That was the final nail in the coffin of the old ECW. RVD was buried beyond repair, Heyman departed WWE immediately after the show ended, and a man that no one believed should be holding a title representing Extreme Wrestling was it's World Champion.

I could have seen Lashley winning the match had there anybody the crowd gave a shit about there at the end. But you eliminate Punk first, then RVD second, and you're left with Hardcore Holly (a sub for Sabu, so while not out of place in ECW, the crowd's pissed there's no Sabu), Test (who sucked), The Big Show (who was only just being somewhat accepted as an ECW guy for the sole reason he'd been champion five months and had a couple of passable extreme rules matches), and Lashley (who was on SmackDown two weeks earlier). Why is an ECW crowd supposed to give a shit about those four guys being in an ECW title match?

Had Sabu remained in the match, Dreamer been in Lashley's spot, and Holly in Test's spot, just about anybody with the possible exception of Holly could have walked out of there with the title and been accepted. But no, someone was pissed at Sabu and we needed Dreamer to bump for Khali.

- I also felt Orton's IC title reign didn't end well. I love Edge now, but there was a period there after returning from neck surgery where Edge really had to find his groove again. So, not only do I think Orton's IC title reign ended too soon (although I realize it was to set up his World Title win at Summerslam), I also think it could have been to someone more on a roll (Shelton Benjamin, maybe? Although his title win at Taboo Tuesday that year was pretty good, IMO). I feel like Orton actually brought some prestige back to the IC title, having a long reign and performing at a pretty good level while champ, and it's a shame that the end of one of the longest IC title reigns in recent history was just kind of an afterthought.

Agreed. Orton was really getting over in 04, but I really don't feel that he truly started coming into his own as I-C Champion until his defense against Benjamin that summer...then they turn right around and job him out in his next major defense. He could've rode that I-C Title reign for at least one or two months longer, but instead they just end it on a throwaway match at some random PPV.

Almost forgot about WWE forcing Sabu to speak in ECW. Also the whole "Extremist" thing. I've never had a problem with the word "Superstars," "Divas," while slightly annoying, does work well enough for the women, but my god! Is it really THAT BAD to just call someone a wrestler? And if so, they couldn't come up with anything better?

Personal bias here, but I also how Mr. Perfect was treated like a jobber during his last stint in 02. I know he wasn't what he used to be, but it killed me to see him jobbing to RVD and others in under 5 mins.

RE: Lashley and his 1st ECW title win, I remember that part of the reason Sabu was taken out of the match was that Vince decided there were too many faces in the match, and wanted to force people to cheer for Lashley once RVD was eliminated. It didn't work.

And RE: Tazz/Austin...I remember Austin cut promo promo against Tazz asking Tazz why he wasn't wearing the "colors of the Alliance." The Alliance never had colors!!!

And RE: Tazz/Austin...I remember Austin cut promo promo against Tazz asking Tazz why he wasn't wearing the "colors of the Alliance." The Alliance never had colors!!!

I'm pretty sure it wasn't actually the colors as it was just an Alliance shirt: WCW or ECW. Wasn't Tazz just wearing one of his own shirts?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't actually the colors as it was just an Alliance shirt: WCW or ECW. Wasn't Tazz just wearing one of his own shirts?

No, I seem to remember Austin spefically saying "the colors of the Alliance." It stuck with me b/c right after Austin said it, I immediately thought, "Wait, the Alliance doesn't have colors!"

No, I seem to remember Austin spefically saying "the colors of the Alliance." It stuck with me b/c right after Austin said it, I immediately thought, "Wait, the Alliance doesn't have colors!"

I don't think that they meant colors in the literal sense. It's being used as a figurative emblem. Think of the phrase "Showing your true colors" as an example.

Hogan no-selling Vader's powerbomb, which was built up as a legitimate killer of a move, pissed me off something fierce.

Raven - Jarrett Destiny. Getting AJ as champ not long after was nice, but Raven as heel champ with his ECW cronies and AJ as a face beating him down the road would have been so much better.

Kurt Angle going over Samoa Joe clean at Genesis '06.

The entire Invasion, which for me is still the single worst moment in the time I have watched wrestling.

WWE jingoism: Un-Americans (it pushed guys I liked, but at a dumb cost); La Resistance; Chris Nowinski being a heel for reflecting my same opinions on Iraq; Mohammed Hassan: Vince is so hungry for mainstream attention, and pushing Hassan as a face would have generated some positive attention. Instead we get an Iron Sheik wannabe with a hint of terrorism.

Stephanie McMahon as Smackdown GM

Stephanie McMahon comparing the Steroid Trials to 9/11.

Raven - Jarrett Destiny. Getting AJ as champ not long after was nice, but Raven as heel champ with his ECW cronies and AJ as a face beating him down the road would have been so much better.

Kurt Angle going over Samoa Joe clean at Genesis '06.

The entire Invasion, which for me is still the single worst moment in the time I have watched wrestling.

WWE jingoism: Un-Americans (it pushed guys I liked, but at a dumb cost); La Resistance; Chris Nowinski being a heel for reflecting my same opinions on Iraq; Mohammed Hassan: Vince is so hungry for mainstream attention, and pushing Hassan as a face would have generated some positive attention. Instead we get an Iron Sheik wannabe with a hint of terrorism.

Stephanie McMahon as Smackdown GM

Stephanie McMahon comparing the Steroid Trials to 9/11.

Jingoism is a staple of wrestling... always has been and always will be.

Guest WWE247FanaticSeries

I seriously loved the InVasion. I mean, it made Drowning Pool popular...

Anytime Shelton Benjamin came out with his mamma.

Good answer, but what was worse was having to hear all these internet marks talking about how he was "finally interesting" to them. Ugh.

Sting losing the belt two days after BFG 07, or two weeks in tv time. What's the point in putting Sting over as a guy who can take an onslaught from both Nash and Angle and come out on top, and even though it was accidental he took a batshot to the face and no sold it for the win. It makes a for a good ppv moment, but in the long term why put the effort there if you are going to blow it at your next tv tapings. I mean I'm not saying keep the belt on Sting for 6 months or whatever, but they could have gotten two ppvs out of him as champion atleast. Kurt Angle rematch and then have him drop the belt the following month to someone fresh.

The crowd shitting on Goldberg/Lesnar pissed me off a bit too. I know MSG is a tough crowd, so I'm not going to debate it since Goldberg was leaving just to leave and Lesnar was leaving for "greener" pastures. I mean the match hadn't even started yet when they started in, so I'm sure that the less than stellar effort from both men had to do a lot with the crowd.

I think all of the rest I can think of have already been posted.

Maybe the time Hogan cost Sting the match against Goldberg on Nitro pissed me off in a groaning sort of way. Hogan and Sting didn't really have an issue at the time other than they still weren't friends, and I don't think they had another match together for atleast 6 months so the Hogan interference was pretty lame.

Sure, it's used all the time, but that doesn't make it any less stupid. The last time a jingoistic angle/character got over worth a damn was Hulk Hogan in the '80s, and that's because that was the culture of America at the time. Look at wrestling the past decade and what has gotten over meaningfully:

- NWO: anti-establishment bad guys out for their own personal gain

- Steve Austin: beer drinking everyman vs. evil rich boss

- Original ECW: never used a jingoistic angle. Sure, Heyman brought in the Quebecers and Japanese workers, but it wasn't USA vs. Other Country, it was always about "ECW vs. Other Fed"

- The Rock vs. Hunter: Young stars who rose at the same time battling for supremacy.

Even as long ago as 1991 fans were sick of the jingoism angles. Wrestlemania 7, All-American Hulk vs. Iraqi supporter Sgt. Slaughter was a huge flop. Just because promoters do something ad nauseum doesn't mean it's good.

Sting losing the belt two days after BFG 07, or two weeks in tv time. What's the point in putting Sting over as a guy who can take an onslaught from both Nash and Angle and come out on top, and even though it was accidental he took a batshot to the face and no sold it for the win. It makes a for a good ppv moment, but in the long term why put the effort there if you are going to blow it at your next tv tapings. I mean I'm not saying keep the belt on Sting for 6 months or whatever, but they could have gotten two ppvs out of him as champion atleast. Kurt Angle rematch and then have him drop the belt the following month to someone fresh.

The crowd shitting on Goldberg/Lesnar pissed me off a bit too. I know MSG is a tough crowd, so I'm not going to debate it since Goldberg was leaving just to leave and Lesnar was leaving for "greener" pastures. I mean the match hadn't even started yet when they started in, so I'm sure that the less than stellar effort from both men had to do a lot with the crowd.

I think all of the rest I can think of have already been posted.

Maybe the time Hogan cost Sting the match against Goldberg on Nitro pissed me off in a groaning sort of way. Hogan and Sting didn't really have an issue at the time other than they still weren't friends, and I don't think they had another match together for atleast 6 months so the Hogan interference was pretty lame.

Sting is one of my all-time favorites, and he's been a part of so many infuriating angles/matches. In 2006, he should have had a nice, long final run as champ before putting over a youngster. Instead he jobs a month after his big win by DQ. And of course, there was the moment that should have been WCW's knockout blow to WWF, Starrcade '97. A close rival to the Invasion as worst moment of my time watching wrestling.

Sure, it's used all the time, but that doesn't make it any less stupid. The last time a jingoistic angle/character got over worth a damn was Hulk Hogan in the '80s, and that's because that was the culture of America at the time. Look at wrestling the past decade and what has gotten over meaningfully:

- NWO: anti-establishment bad guys out for their own personal gain

- Steve Austin: beer drinking everyman vs. evil rich boss

- Original ECW: never used a jingoistic angle. Sure, Heyman brought in the Quebecers and Japanese workers, but it wasn't USA vs. Other Country, it was always about "ECW vs. Other Fed"

- The Rock vs. Hunter: Young stars who rose at the same time battling for supremacy.

Even as long ago as 1991 fans were sick of the jingoism angles. Wrestlemania 7, All-American Hulk vs. Iraqi supporter Sgt. Slaughter was a huge flop. Just because promoters do something ad nauseum doesn't mean it's good.

The reason the Slaughter/Iraq failed is because people were actually getting killed in that conflict... the same goes with Muhammed Hassan.

Speaking of the Invasion...

I LOVED the angle where Dreamer and RVD ran in from the crowd and ECW reformed with Paul E. leading the charge from his announce spot.

Then an hour later Stephanie was running ECW and they joined the WCW C team.

Took something that I thought was AWESOME and made it...not...that...way...

I LOVED the angle where Dreamer and RVD ran in from the crowd and ECW reformed with Paul E. leading the charge from his announce spot.

Agreed. Heyman was incredible during the initial attack... and then all the wind got let out when he was basically sucking up to Stephanie.

The reason the Slaughter/Iraq failed is because people were actually getting killed in that conflict... the same goes with Muhammed Hassan.

The Slaughter angle failed just because of society maturing somewhat as a whole, and the Political Correctness craze starting to kick in. People were perfectly fine with German nazis, Middle Eastern terrorists, and all kinds of different Communists in previous eras, often when Americans were indeed dying at the hands of such people in the real world. But by the time the 90s rolled around, people weren't quite as willing to buy into evil foreign heels anymore. Thus the Wrestlemania 7 change in venue from the massive arena to the smaller one when ticket sales bombed, with the amusing excuse of an alleged terrorist attack prompting the move.

As for Hassan, he failed for exactly one reason: that dumbass terrorist angle that they aired the week of the London bombings. It pissed off UPN and they refused to ever air the Hassan character on their network again.

However, Corkscrew is correct in saying that no jingoistic angle has actually drawn money in a long damn time now. The last one that did anything remotely like that was Bret Hart's heel turn, and whenever the WWF had a show in Canada they openly acknowledged that the Hart Foundation were heroes there. Unlike earlier years, where if a top heel was getting cheered they'd try to edit the broadcast, dub in crowd noise, or do whatever possible in order to make sure that the natural fan reaction was squashed in favor of whatever the office's plans were. But after that, stuff like Post 9/11 Hero Kurt Angle and the Un-Americans , La Resistance, Team Canada(s), and Hassan were all just embarassingly old-fashioned and reactionary to anyone but hardline conservatives.

The Triple-H angle. You know... any of them. (Specifically, any of the ones involving heel champion HHH and any babyface not named Batista or Benoit.)

Any time we stumble upon what I call a Non-Fan Argument moment. That's any time you're watching wrestling, and something really stupid happens just as someone you know, friend, family, or whoever, who isn't a wrestling fan walks in and happens to see it. These moments can be most Divas segments, the Kiss My Ass club, retarded midgets, lame backstage comedy, and anything involving a camera pointed at Viscera or Snitsky. All these moments inevitably end in an argument between you and the non-fan about Why Do You Watch That Stupid Fake Crap.

You know while I've been at university, the only time someone's walked in on me watching wrestling has been Morishima vs Danielson or Hashimoto vs Norton. I think I've been pretty lucky.

The Slaughter angle failed just because of society maturing somewhat as a whole, and the Political Correctness craze starting to kick in.

Plus, the Slaughter angle went all the way into August 1991, which was 5 months after the end of the Gulf War. That probably didn't help matters very much, but then again, sometimes Vince makes shitty long term plans that should be aborted.

In the span of an hour, I went from probably my two or three favourite wrestling moments ever, to the exact opposite. Even having it kinda told to me at 1am the night before, I still got to see the Tuesday replay and loved every second of the first, oh, hour and ten minutes of the first Raw I'd seen in about two years, and really, the first wrestling I'd watched since ECW folded. Then Steph came out. I did not watch next week.

However, to answer the topic question, I did get to see some of Raw on television at a casino, the day after my 19th birthday; I saw the main event: Eric Bischoff vs. Shane McMahon. That pissed me off: A veritable dream roster features two suits in the main event.

Ah hell, I still loved that Raw with RVD and Tommy running in from the crowd. The Steph part was goofy at the end but it didn't matter to me until weeks later. I would say I much prefer RVD's debut to Jericho's, but I'm not sure if that July 2001 Raw is exactly a debut for RVD (he was on some Raws in 1997 after all).

And yes, basically anything in the new ECW from the Philly screwjob on basically pissed me off as a wrestling fan.