TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Moments that irritated you

Guest TheFabulousJakey

Anytime WWE tried to be topical in a serious way, like having Chris Nowinski and Scott Steiner debate the Iraq War. Nowinski is a heel because he thinks we shouldn't have gone there! Steiner is a face because he supports the President! Then he says Nowinski and The Dixie Chicks don't support our troops! It was if Sean Hannity was given the book.

This, of course, was nothing compared to the Hassan/Mick Foley angle in which Foley used the names of real dead soldiers. Never could respect the guy as much after that.

Molly Holly's second title reign went all the way from the end of July to February, and a reign like that is pretty long in today's WWE, but they stopped giving her storylines in November, she jobbed to Victoria and Trish for months, and then when they finally did take the belt off her, it was as the second elimination in a Four Way Elimination Match.

Ah, Molly Holly. A *realistically* attractive female who was also a great worker, turned heel because she wasn't a slut and hadn't had plastic surgery.

And don't forget she has a big ass to. Like that's going to make her a heel with the black guys.

The entire Sting vs. Abyss angle in TNA. Sting, who has always played by the rules, violently attacks James Mitchell because Mitchell is keeping a secret about Abyss, who Sting is trying to rehabilitate. Abyss doesn't want the secret out, but Sting doesn't care!

Now, we know that Sting beat the secret out of Abyss' FATHER. Way to go, Stinger. Way to "Love thy neighbor."

Someone should've told Russo that Sting used "mind games" to freak out the nWo back in the day.

I seriously loved the InVasion. I mean, it made Drowning Pool popular...

The DDP as stalker angle really pissed me off. He even jobbed to Sara Undertacker.

I think Jingoism will always be part of wrestling. I miss the days when Yokozuna and Japan was public enemy #1. I'm going for a Masters in International Studies, and I find it hilarious that the literature from the early to mid 90s painted Japan as an emerging geo-political rival to the US.

Heck, even just being a proud Canadian makes you a heel. Most wrestling fans are not the most tolerate of pepole. Jingoism produces cheap yet often intense heat. I don't blame bookers for keep going back to the well.

There were several problems with Yokozuna and Japan being Public Enemy #1 however:

1. Yokozuna wasn't Japanese and was never billed as such. He was from the Polynesian Island, in other words...Samoan.

2. WW2 was almost 60 years prior to this angle in wrestling. By 1993 I don't think there was much hatred left for Japan. Whatever disdain people had was due to them making excellent cars.

The DDP as stalker angle really pissed me off. He even jobbed to Sara Undertacker.

Why do people always bring up that specific part of the whole DDP debacle? I don't see how the part where Sara pinned him was supposed to be humiliating. Taker dragged DDP out of the ring and chokeslammed him on the floor, then tossed him back in. In kayfabe terms, he would've been completely unconcious. A newborn kitten could've pinned him at that point.

Jingoism produces cheap yet often intense heat. I don't blame bookers for keep going back to the well.

Yeah, but it doesn't draw money. Not anymore. As the Hassan controversy proved, that kind of angle causes more negative than positive attention.

There were several problems with Yokozuna and Japan being Public Enemy #1 however:

1. Yokozuna wasn't Japanese and was never billed as such. He was from the Polynesian Island, in other words...Samoan.]

What. They always said he was Japanese. Yes, I know he was actually Rodney Anoia. You don't think him wearing a Japanese kimono, waving a Japanese flag, being named after the Japanese name for "grand sumo champion", and having the announcers always talk about how he was from Japan all gave the general impression that this guy was supposed to be Japanese?

By 1993 I don't think there was much hatred left for Japan. Whatever disdain people had was due to them making excellent cars.

No, there was actually a lot of Japophobia in the early 90s. See Rising Sun for one excellent example.

Why do people always bring up that specific part of the whole DDP debacle? I don't see how the part where Sara pinned him was supposed to be humiliating. Taker dragged DDP out of the ring and chokeslammed him on the floor, then tossed him back in. In kayfabe terms, he would've been completely unconcious. A newborn kitten could've pinned him at that point.

Jingoism produces cheap yet often intense heat. I don't blame bookers for keep going back to the well.

Yeah, but it doesn't draw money. Not anymore. As the Hassan controversy proved, that kind of angle causes more negative than positive attention.

1. Yokozuna wasn't Japanese and was never billed as such. He was from the Polynesian Island, in other words...Samoan.]

What. They always said he was Japanese. Yes, I know he was actually Rodney Anoia. You don't think him wearing a Japanese kimono, waving a Japanese flag, being named after the Japanese name for "grand sumo champion", and having the announcers always talk about how he was from Japan all gave the general impression that this guy was supposed to be Japanese?

By 1993 I don't think there was much hatred left for Japan. Whatever disdain people had was due to them making excellent cars.

No, there was actually a lot of Japophobia in the early 90s. See Rising Sun for one excellent example.

I remember instances where it was listed as Yokozuna being from "Polynesia", still I see your point where most would think he was Japanese.

Right after the Invasion angle was over, a heatless face Edge beat a red hot RVD clean on Smackdown. RVD was way over with the crowd and they kept trying to bury him. I remember the crowd sitting there like "WTF" and they piped in cheers like Edge was Hulk Hogan. This was right around the time it was being reported they were editing out RVD's cheers.

Another RVD thing, Triple H pedigree's him and throws him out of the 2002 Royal Rumble after about a minute. RVD was still hot and you just knew HHH had been waiting 5 months to bury him.

Yeah, the magazines and video games definitely billed Yoko as being from Polynesia back in the day, but they didn't play it up on TV to any degree I can recall.

Everything in WWECW that wasn't Morrison/Punk/Miz. Kinda sad when you can list MIZ as a highlight of a company, though he has improved a decent amount since being brought up.

Everything Sullivan booked in WCW between Russo's two stints. It wasn't so much offensive as utterly boring, and completely turned me off of WCW to the point where even Russo's second run was that much of an improvement.

TNA not having the first Joe/Angle match either end with Joe BARELY winning or the match going to a draw (preferably time limit). It didn't hurt Joe as much as the booking of the feud after the first match did, but it would've been much better had Joe been PROVEN as Angle's equal right away.

WWE never realizing how popular Hurricane really was, specifically during the Rock feud, and just treating him as a jobber. Here you have one of the very few WCW guys who came into the company during the company's downfall who got over entirely on his own merits, and then got over after being a lame gimmick and running with it, and you just treat him as a comedy character with no chance at all of being anything more. Remember how one of the running angles of Hurricane's matches was his attempts to chokeslam larger opponents? Can you imagine just how big of a pop he'd get if he actually DID chokeslam somebody bigger than him, even just once? I always thought they missed the boat on that one.

XPW cutting promo's about how they're sick of every company wanting to bring in older talent to make themselves a name, and running down ECW constantly, and then having half of their original roster be former ECW talent. XPW was the very definition of "bad booking." But for some reason, a lot of their stuff is so much fun to watch, especially the truly homegrown guys like Messiah, Webb, Supreme, Kaos, and especially Homeless Jimmy.

Oh, and this didn't so much as irritate me as somewhat annoy me, but when I was writing the Lazarush, I would always give Kazarian shit. ALWAYS. And I referred to myself as "the L-A-Z." Then, about a month ago, Kaz cut a promo where he called himself "the K-A-Z." Kinda made me go "huh, maybe they DID read TSM."

Oh, and this didn't so much as irritate me as somewhat annoy me, but when I was writing the Lazarush, I would always give Kazarian shit. ALWAYS. And I referred to myself as "the L-A-Z." Then, about a month ago, Kaz cut a promo where he called himself "the K-A-Z." Kinda made me go "huh, maybe they DID read TSM."

Dude, they did read TSM. They even got an intentional closeup of a sign for Dames at the beginning of one of their weekly PPVs before the Lazarush ever came to being.

Recently, Triple H Winning The WWE Title, Kurt Winning Back The Title On Impact, Kurt Retaining At Final Resolution.

All Time?

Randy Orton Loses World Heavyweight Championship

Chris Benoit United States Champion

McMahon Blows Up

Christian Doing Nothing On Smackdown

Edge Loses His First WWE Title

Anything With HHH

Dude, they did read TSM. They even got an intentional closeup of a sign for Dames at the beginning of one of their weekly PPVs before the Lazarush ever came to being.

I TOTALLY forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me, I've got to pull that tape out one of these days...

Dames

Guest WWE247FanaticSeries
All Time?

Why? Just because of what happened?

All Time?

Probably because this was after Benoit had been the World champion, so being the U.S. champ just seemed beneath him at the time. That's how it was for me.

All Time?

Probably because this was after Benoit had been the World champion, so being the U.S. champ just seemed beneath him at the time. That's how it was for me.

Eh, it's happened before. I think HHH had at least 2 IC title reigns after being World Champion.

Benoit winning the US Title didn't really bother me. To be honest, that belt had been pretty devalued by that point (remember Orlando Jordan?) so Benoit winning it at least restored some of the luster to it. Then, of course, Benoit put over MVP big time, which I think really cemented MVP as a legit upper midcarder.

Getting back to the ECW thing in 2001...when Stephanie came out on RAW as the owner, I remember thinking "OK, this makes sense from a kayfabe standpoint...I just hope she doesn't overshadow Heyman in all of this." Of course, we remember how that ended up going.

All Time?

Eh, it's happened before. I think HHH had at least 2 IC title reigns after being World Champion.

And that bugged me too. In fact, any time a wrestler wins a title lower in prestige than a belt they've already held in the same promotion is irritating to me. For example, William Regal, Jeff Hardy, and Christian all winning the European title after having held the Intercontinental belt. To me, that is an on-air confession to the crowd that they were actively depushing them.