Sign in to follow this  
majormayhem1

Chinese Democracy

Chinese Democracy   

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which year will it come out?

• 2012 or beyond
    • never

I strongly disagree with that. There are some fantastic songs on the Use Your Illusion albums. I agree it should have been cut down to one album, but if you take the best songs from both and combine it into one, you have one hell of a fucking record.

As I always say in GnR threads, I have unabashed love for "Estranged," and generally enjoy most GnR songs, either genuinely (a good chunk of Appetite, "You Could Be Mine") or for train-wreck appeal ("My World," "One in a Million," "Get in the Ring," etc.). However, the continuous low murmur of frothing for Chinese Democracy reminds me of people at, like, a Babylon 5 convention. Except these people are greasier.

The phone conversation near the end of "Knockin'" totally kills it for me. Okay, it's not good at all, but that REALLY does it in.

UYI II is alright other than Axl's two "get stuff of my chest in the bitchiest way possible" songs...oh and that experimental shit at the end.

UYI I is full of bloat. The 3 or 4 songs leading up to Coma (after Garden of Eden) just seem like "hey we have a few songs left, let's just toss them on here to extend it out a bit, what they hell why not?"

As far as one UYI album:

Civil War

Dust N Bones

Don't Cry (alt.)

Perfect Crime

Back Off Bitch

November Rain

Garden of Eden

14 Years

Yesterdays

Breakdown

Pretty Tied Up

Locomotive

Estranged

You Could Be Mine

yeah...

I love UYI 1 almost as much as Appetite, Right Next Door To Hell, Dust N Bones, Perfect Crime, Back Off Bitch and November Rain are great tracks.

i don't think it will ever come out. GNR weren't that amazing of a band to begin with.

Sometimes there's a band, and I'm talking about GnR here, sometimes there's a band for their time and place. Sometimes...Ah hell, I done lost my train of thought here.

Appetite For Destruction is probably the best hard rock album of all time and Use Your Illusion could have been just as good if they cut out the fluff and made it one disc. I don't know why we are debating their place in history. They were probably the best band of the 80's, but burned out fast. That's their legacy.

Everyone has their individual tastes and G n R aren't for everyone, but I don't see how anyone could deny what they accomplished.

I like Guns N Roses but they were definitly not the "best band of the 80s"

Then who was? I'm trying to think, but I can't come up with anyone. Maybe best is the wrong word but certainly the biggest.

EDIT: Totally forgot about U2, but they technically got together in the 70s.

Guns 'n Roses made two goddamned albums in the 80's, one of which was a stone cold turd, buoyed on a river of drizzled shit by a half-assed acoustic ballad with some whistlin' in it. It's probably enough of a stretch to consider them The Band of 1987, considering that The Joshua Tree and The Return of Bruno came out that year. For fuck's sake.

Guns 'n Roses made two goddamned albums in the 80's, one of which was a stone cold turd, buoyed on a river of drizzled shit by a half-assed acoustic ballad with some whistlin' in it. It's probably enough of a stretch to consider them The Band of 1987, considering that The Joshua Tree and The Return of Bruno came out that year. For fuck's sake.

Best post in the whole thread.

If you have a shit fetish, that's you're business. I'm not here to judge you. But, U2 hasn't done anything for me musically since "One."

If you have a shit fetish, that's you're business. I'm not here to judge you. But, U2 hasn't done anything for me musically since "One."

Which...came out in 1991, well after this whole "80s" thing.

I played "Coma" in a bar last night. Exceptional ending to that song, lyrically and vocally.

God damn right!

Funny thing...the bar that I usually drink at has a time limit on the songs that play...thus causing Coma to end in the middle of it's awesome ending.

Classic Rock Magazine declared "Chinese Democracy" the number one album of the year for 2007 based on the amount of "bootlegging" that has gone on. I thought that was funny.

Hey, "Used to Love Her" was a good song and I liked the Live stuff. Not a great album for sure.

wasn't "Lies" just some wankery to tide fans over until the UYIs dropped anyway?

Pretty much served that function but it was really more for Geffen to have another product out not so much in place of UYI..when Lies came out it was still too early to expect Illusion (the way the rise was going strong) to be made

Lies came out in 88..they were just graduating from opening up for Aerosmith (Permanent Vacation tour) and Motley Crue (Girls Girls Girls tour) and maybe even Whitesnake too (not totally positive on that one? My memory fails me there) and all.

Most bands never pumped out albums quick then anyway.