TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

Someone else here is bound to like Morphine, right?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

The more I hear this band, the more I want some heroin. I've pored over Yes and Good, and given a spin to Cure for Pain.

Slide bass, low vocals, and baritone sax; all flowing thick with junk. Very fucking enjoyable.

You know, for somebody with as limited musical taste as myself...I do like Morphine. Couldn't name a single song other than "Early to Bed," but the handful of tunes I've heard from them have been enjoyable.

I enjoyed morphine quite a bit back in the day. They put on a good show too.

Tis a shame they went out the way they did.

They always seemed on the edge of being big to me too.

Guest A.BUTCHER'S HOUSE OF RIBS

I remember hearing In Spite of You over the credits of Spanking the Monkey and I knew I had to hear more of them. I can't recommend Like Swimming enough.

I've heard Yes and it didn't really strike me, as much as roll off my shoulders into oblivion. The instrumentation allows for some real possibilities, I think, but almost all of what I remember of that album involved the bari just mirroring the bass on some non-descript blues line, occasionally breaking off for a paint-by-numbers solo. It might as well have postage on the cover.

For an alternative recommendation, I'd namedrop Last Exit, a band I've already alluded to elsewhere. Loud, free jazzy stuff with a Primus-esque bass and Peter Brotzmann screaming away on sax.