TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
majormayhem1

Global Impact

Possibly the best hour of television TNA has ever aired. The guys just talking out of character about being in Japan was better than any Russo-scripted promo ever could be. Why is Impact such worthless bullshit every week when the company is apparently capable of turning out thoughtful, quality work like this?

Possibly the best hour of television TNA has ever aired. The guys just talking out of character about being in Japan was better than any Russo-scripted promo ever could be. Why is Impact such worthless bullshit every week when the company is apparently capable of turning out thoughtful, quality work like this?

Are they re-airing it?

I would say Saturday Night would be the best possibility for seeing a replay. The Angle vs Nagata match kicked fucking ass! One of Angle's best matches in a really long time. I haven't seen Nagata since his days in WCW as a midcarder, so it was good seeing him again.

I think the reason everyone was so wary was because it was being promoted as just the Nagata/Angle match and whacky skits of the TNA guys in Japan. It had much more of a documentary feel to it.

I didn't even know this was going to air until last night when I caught the last few minutes of Impact. TNA management should look at the presentation of Global Impact and try to go with something like this in the future. Just let the wrestlers be themselves. It made TNA come across as a professional company and not some bush league company based out of Orlando.

I enjoyed the hell out of Nagata and Angle switching submissions with each other. Nagata going from single armed, to double armed variations of the Crossface, and Angle always finding ways to reverse it into the Ankle Lock made for a great match. Why can't we get THIS Kurt Angle on a weekly basis in TNA?

Funny, everyone was ripping the idea of this show the other day.

I was thinking the same exact thing. It was a very good show, and I enjoyed it and can't wait for the DVD.

Guest droptoehold

From a production standpoint to me it might be the best thing

I have ever seen them produce, but I don't catch too much TNA.

My main gripe is that they hype up this big event and how significant

it is that the TNA "stars" are doing this show in Japan and how big it

is for the Japanese wrestling culture, while putting over the solid work

in Japan. All of these beautiful packages with most of the TNA stars, and

they only show the Angle match?

Well if they were going to fit in all the docu-style stuff and the entire Angle/Nagata match (19 minutes), and don't forget commercial breaks, clips of the other matches was really the only way they could go. Remember an hour of TV with commercials is usually only about 40-45 minutes.

If you add up all the other matches...

Christian/AJ/Petey vs RISE - 10:25

Daniels vs Inoue - 10:17

Abyss vs Nakanishi - 6:00

Team 3d vs GBH - 13:12

Tomko/Bernard vs Steiners - 12:50

That's almost an hour right there, and well over an hour when you add in Angle/Nagata. Like someone else said, they're probably saving it for a DVD (though I'll hold out for the NJPW version, myself).

I usually hate TNA, but this was good. Everyone off great, especially Tomko. I'm also a big fan of NJPW, so seeing Makabe on Spike TV was awesome.

Since I already talked about how much I liked the Angle/Nagata match in the other thread, I want to give my one criticism now. The timing of the commercial break was just fucking awful. That was the most realistic near submission that Nagata got on Angle the whole match and so when that was just glossed over with a commercial break, it made the final holds feel just a little bit anti-climactic like they shouldn't really end the match. Still an extremely enjoyable match to watch overall though.

Just further proof that TNA has to ditch the gimmicky 6-sided ring. They made a ton of mistakes early and are still paying for them to this day. One was the six-sided ring, and another biggie is the "Total Nonstop Action" which was silly when they were under the NWA banner, however leaving NWA and becomming TNA Wrestling was a terrible decision. It would be hard to re-brand now, but I honestly believe the name will work against them every step of the way as they try to grow.

I honestly don't see the gripe with the six sided ring. It just seems like the only thing that people who complain about it can say is that it's "gimmicky" - well no shit. What isn't gimmicky in fucking wrestling??

It's different just for the sake of being so and it's awkward to work in for the vast majority of the non-lucha wrestlers who've wrestled in and trained in the traditional square rings their whole lives before landing in TNA. When somebody is being whipped into a corner, they usually have to decide if they are supposed to "bounce" back off the ropes or head to a corner and you can usually see them change direction to pick one corner over the other.

Yeah the 6 sided ring has always sucked, in particular for tag matches I think since I always wonder exactly who is in what corner and what constitutes a legal tag. Anything that immediately makes people tune out when they see it needs to go. A 6 sided ring doesn't conform to the basic idea of what pro wrestling is to most people, and some find it hokey or stupid.

I really can't see a casual fan turning on TNA, and then turning it off based on the six sided ring. Maybe based on the crappy booking and annoying announcers, but I really doubt the shape of the ring has any bearing on whether or not most people watch TNA.

Just further proof that TNA has to ditch the gimmicky 6-sided ring. They made a ton of mistakes early and are still paying for them to this day. One was the six-sided ring, and another biggie is the "Total Nonstop Action" which was silly when they were under the NWA banner, however leaving NWA and becomming TNA Wrestling was a terrible decision. It would be hard to re-brand now, but I honestly believe the name will work against them every step of the way as they try to grow.

The acronym is what really hurts them.

Person 1: "I'm watching TNA tonight."

Person 2: "What's that, Tits N' Ass?"

I really can't see a casual fan turning on TNA, and then turning it off based on the six sided ring. Maybe based on the crappy booking and annoying announcers, but I really doubt the shape of the ring has any bearing on whether or not most people watch TNA.

I'm far from a casual wrestling fan and I can't stand the ring. I think casual fans would be even less forgiving. Turn on Impact and in the first 30 seconds you are fed the silly "TNA" brandname, the gimmicky six-sided ring and Don West - that's a terrible first impression.

I really think it would be great if they would drop the TNA monicker and just go with "Impact Wrestling" or something like that.

Impact Pro Wrestling ("Impact Pro" for short) would have been a good change, however it already exists as a wrestling company in NZ.

TNA's only problem is the weird booking and use of wrestlers. The 6 sided ring and the name has nothing to do with scaring fans and possible viewers off.

Person 1: "I'm watching TNA tonight."

Person 2: "What's that, Tits N' Ass?"

Person 3: "No, no it's a Pro Wrestling show."

Person 2: "Oh, what channel is it on?" or "Oh, well enjoy your wrestling show."

The 6 sided ring has nothing to do with turning fans off or away from TNA, TNA is trying to be different and innovative and using a ring that really no one uses in the U.S., where fans most likely haven't seen the 6 sided ring before is a step in that direction.

TNA's main problem is booking and how they use wrestlers, plus I think they're roster is just to big. The booking isn't constent and when TNA tries to be constent with their booking it ends up getting confusing or just to over booked. A good example is the Team 3D and Johnny Devine vs The X Divison. At first it was Team 3D vs the entire X Divison...but after a few weeks, somehow the X Divison became just Jay Lethal and The MotorCity Machine Guns and then instead of making Johnny Devine the renegade X Divison champion...he's just holding Jay Lethal's belt. That is a prime example of TNA screwing up a angle that had a lot of potential because they tried to stayed constent but ended up making it very confusing.

TNA's roster is also just to big, which I think hurts them a lot. TNA will put a lot of focus on one wrestler who seems to be moving up in the ranks then a new addition to the roster comes along and then the focus goes to that new wrestler and then all of a sudden that wrestler seems to be forgotten. He's still used on tv and all but just doesn't seem to move anywhere or gets put in some angle that doesn't help move that wrestler anywhere.

These two things, in my view, are the major things that drive fans away or turns off possible new viewers. A fan will watch for a couple of weeks, get confused or turned off and will stop watching for awhile. The ring or the name has very little to do with a fan being turned away from TNA. If a fan says "well I stopped watching TNA because I hated their name and didn't like thie 6 sided ring.", then that person was just looking for a excuse to not watch TNA.

It's different just for the sake of being so and it's awkward to work in for the vast majority of the non-lucha wrestlers who've wrestled in and trained in the traditional square rings their whole lives before landing in TNA. When somebody is being whipped into a corner, they usually have to decide if they are supposed to "bounce" back off the ropes or head to a corner and you can usually see them change direction to pick one corner over the other.

So, if it's so awkward for them they can a] learn to work in it.. or b] get a job somewhere else?

Yeah the 6 sided ring has always sucked, in particular for tag matches I think since I always wonder exactly who is in what corner and what constitutes a legal tag. Anything that immediately makes people tune out when they see it needs to go. A 6 sided ring doesn't conform to the basic idea of what pro wrestling is to most people, and some find it hokey or stupid.

Wait, who are we talking about? Hardcore wrestling fans or casual fans? Chances are hardcore fans will watch wrestling regardless of what kind of ring it takes place in. Casual fans or new fans don't know much about it, so why would something new turn them off? And are you really going to try to pass off something like "hokey" as a valid argument regarding WRESTLING? C'mon...