TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 82: Pride of A Champion

Main Event for the UFC Middleweight Championship

Anderson Silva vs Dan Henderson

Cheick Kongo vs Heath Herring

Jon Fitch vs TBA (was to be Gono but pulled out with a broken hand)

Josh Koscheck vs Dustin Hazlett

Roan Carneiro vs Diego Sanchez

Luke Cummo vs Luigi Fiorvanti

John Halverston vs Jorge Gurgel

Andrei Arlovski vs Jake O'Brien

Of the above fights Carneiro/Sanchez and Arlovski/O'Brien are the only two that aren't a lock. Going to be tough to find an opponent with a month and a half's notice to train for somebody like Fitch. No chance of a Koscheck fight, Karo and Alves are tied up with each other, Hughes is God knows where. I'm sure Davis came out of the fight last night unscathed but I doubt he'd take it.

I like this lineup, oddly enough it sucks that we won't see Tanner/Okami on this card like originally rumored but if it means I lay eyes on it personally I can deal. Kongo/Herring could be ugly or entertainingly ugly. From what I've see and heard Hazlett is legit when it comes to the ground but his wrestling isn't on a level where he can stop Koscheck from taking him down. Carneiro/Diego is an interesting one but I think Diego will simply overwhelm Roan. So long as Gurgel/Halverston doesn't get main card billing (and it won't) I'm fine with it. Cummo can hopefully put on a good show against Fiorvanti. I've given up pretty much all faith in Arlovski but if he kills O'Brien dead I'll enjoy it.

Henderson saying the clinch is where he'll beat Silva is one of the ballsier MMA statements in a while. That's akin to saying "I'll be in Fedor's guard, give him my arm and he wouldn't tap me." Hendo's wrestling and strength are certainly good enough to take Anderson down and he's got a great chin so I don't think he'll be scared to get in close. If Hendo wins I won't mind but Anderson is pretty much the King of the MMA World right now so I really don't want to see him lose to anybody, even somebody I like.

Updated card.......

Silva vs Henderson

Kongo vs Herring

Fitch vs Chris Wilson

Andrei Arlovski vs Jake O'Brien

Tanner/Okami

Sanchez/David Bielkhaden

Koscheck/Hazelett

Luke Cummo vs Luigi Fiorvanti

Jorge Gurgel vs John Halverston

Chris Leben vs Alessio Sakara is getting thrown around but I doubt it as that would put the show at 10 fights and everything else above is pretty much set.

Henderson saying the clinch is where he'll beat Silva is one of the ballsier MMA statements in a while. That's akin to saying "I'll be in Fedor's guard, give him my arm and he wouldn't tap me." Hendo's wrestling and strength are certainly good enough to take Anderson down and he's got a great chin so I don't think he'll be scared to get in close. If Hendo wins I won't mind but Anderson is pretty much the King of the MMA World right now so I really don't want to see him lose to anybody, even somebody I like.

If Dan "outclinches" Anderson then I would be absolutely shocked. If he gets that close, he'd be wise to try to take Anderson down and see what he can do with him from top position. Otherwise he'll end up just like Rich... dazed, confused, and fucked up.

Yeah, Franklin said before their first fight, "the clinch is my bread and butter" and it wasn't.

Henderson will get subbed.

Due to Henderson's chin of granite I'd be inclined to say that Anderson does in fact have a better chance with a sub then a KO.

Then again Chris Leben had a chin of granite before absorbing one of Anderson's shots and look what happened there.

I see Henderson more likely getting KO'd then submited.

Henderson has great submission defense, and has only been submited by both Nogueria brothers, which is nothing to be ashamed of. Although Silva is a black belt under the Nogs, Anderson tends to use his BJJ more defensively. Instead of looking for submissions, Anderson tends to try to look for ways to get the fight back on his feet, or he'll throw dangerous upkicks that have KO'd mothafuckas in the past.

Which is why I think Anderson will win... Although Henderson certainly has the wrestling ability to take Anderson down, keeping him down is going to be the problem. There os a great chance of him eating a flying knee right to the dome, or taking a hard upkick...

Anderson Silva by TKO 4th Round.

There's a reason he's called decision Dan. I think he'll stand with Silva until he feels the need to take him down, after which he'll just work position the rest of the fight. Silva's a pretty decent grappler but Dan's always had good defense against subs. Dan by decision, I think. Personally think it's a bad match up for Silva.

That's what people were saying about the Marquardt fight and I think the same logic applies here: Yes, Dan can take him down and control him for 25 minutes but the odds of Anderson cutting him with an elbow, ground and pounding him, subbing him or KO'ing him are also pretty good.

That's what people were saying about the Marquardt fight and I think the same logic applies here: Yes, Dan can take him down and control him for 25 minutes but the odds of Anderson cutting him with an elbow, ground and pounding him, subbing him or KO'ing him are also pretty good.

I don't know, Dan is VERY hard to finish, and he's fought guys just as good as Silva in the past without being stopped, with the exception of the Nogueira brothers, whose sub skills Silva can't even touch. Plus to my knowledge, Dan has never even been cut, let alone had a fight stopped by one.

Dan Henderson's coming off a KO victory over Wanderlai Silva, and a decision loss to Rampage where the only real reason he lost was due to Rampage's sheer size and power.

If it goes to a decision, Henderson wins it. Henderson has a knack for doing just enough to look good, and then turn it up in later rounds. Silva just looks to finish. If I had to guess, I'd say Silva wins rounds one and two and has Henderson on the ropes a few times, but Henderson doesn't really do much but weather the storm, before coming back strong to win three, four, and five when or if Silva begins to tire from his assault. That'd be my guess. Henderson's only done that like...twenty times.

It'll definetly be interesting to see how Silva approaches the fight. I'm sure he's aware that Henderson has gone 25 minutes before w/ Rampage and even a full 20 in PRIDE so he might be a bit tenative in the first round due to conserving his gas tank. I've personally never seen Silva gassed but then again the guy hasn't been to the judges since he fought Murray and hasn't fought past 7 minutes since Chonan and he seemed to be okay then.

I'm not sold on the whole "If it's a decision Henderson takes it" thing. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that Silva keeps him at a distance for 25 minutes and blasts away on Danny's thick-as-fuck cranium.

It's not like Silva's take down defense is the greatest in the world, though. Henderson will probably stand and bang and try to connect with a big shot, after which he'll probably shoot in for the take down.

Lets not forget that standing, Henderson has some lethal power as well with his punches. I'm not saying he'll KO Silva, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he could nail Anderson during a barrage. In his recent fights, this'll be the most dangerous stand up fighter Silva's faced. Henderson has really good power, and pretty decent form. He could nail him. People really underestimate the power Henderson has until they suddenly remember when he nails someone with a huge shot.

It's not like Silva's take down defense is the greatest in the world, though.

COMPLETELY IRRELEVENT...

Silva is DANGEROUS off his back, incase you haven't seen his last fights.

It's relevant because if Henderson can avoid the submissions and maintain position then he'll walk away with the fight.

Like I said before, it's not submissions Hendo has to worry about, it's upkicks and scrambles back to the feet.

Anderson's takedown defense means jackshit, and people still don't get it. He can also finish the fight off his back.

It's relevant because if Henderson can avoid the submissions and maintain position then he'll walk away with the fight.

Like I said before, it's not submissions Hendo has to worry about, it's upkicks and scrambles back to the feet.

Anderson's takedown defense means jackshit, and people still don't get it. He can also finish the fight off his back.

Lutter's (?) the only one I can remember that he finished off of his back. Henderson doesn't have the greatest ground control for being a wrestler, but I don't think he has anything to fear from Silva scrambling. If Henderson does well enough on his feet and gets the take downs and sprinkles the ground and pound in, he should be able to grind out a decision victory. This actually wouldn't be a bad fight to put money on, at least IMO.

I think people have seen so much of Silva's strengths on display recently, I think they are forgetting the few weaknesses he has, ones which I think Dan can exploit to his advantage in the fight.

I'm not discounting what you're saying because you make valid points but Anderson has faced a "guy who can exploit his few weaknesses" recently and as memory serves he fucked him up in rightous format.

I'm not discounting what you're saying because you make valid points but Anderson has faced a "guy who can exploit his few weaknesses" recently and as memory serves he fucked him up in rightous format.

Marquardt (I assume this is who you mean) isn't the same kind of fighter as Dan. Dan has this "fighting for his life" mentality that he brings into every fight, sometimes it serves him well and sometimes it doesn't but I can say that I honestly haven't seen Dan "lay down" in a fight like Nate did against Silva.

I dunno. Dan is the worlds worst best wrestler and I could see Silva taking Dan down and dropping his underrated GnP and stunning Hendo. It's not like Nate didn't have a reason to lay down. Plus, Hendo is wildly inconsistent, given his style of fighting. He has decisioned lots of guys that are way below Spider, so it's unlikely that he finishes Anderson. And in 5 rounds, Silva is too stylish not to let Dans big right hand dependency and over committal on the punch go to waste.

I dunno. Dan is the worlds worst best wrestler and I could see Silva taking Dan down and dropping his underrated GnP and stunning Hendo. It's not like Nate didn't have a reason to lay down. Plus, Hendo is wildly inconsistent, given his style of fighting. He has decisioned lots of guys that are way below Spider, so it's unlikely that he finishes Anderson. And in 5 rounds, Silva is too stylish not to let Dans big right hand dependency and over committal on the punch go to waste.

Oh, if Dan wins it probably won't be via a finish, I'm in agreement with you there. Dan "never" finishes, Silva almost always does, Dan never gets KO'd, Silva gets most of his wins that way. I'm really, really interested in this fight, maybe more so than Chuck/Silva because we pretty much got what we were expecting there.

Lutter's (?) the only one I can remember that he finished off of his back. Henderson doesn't have the greatest ground control for being a wrestler, but I don't think he has anything to fear from Silva scrambling. If Henderson does well enough on his feet and gets the take downs and sprinkles the ground and pound in, he should be able to grind out a decision victory. This actually wouldn't be a bad fight to put money on, at least IMO.

I think people have seen so much of Silva's strengths on display recently, I think they are forgetting the few weaknesses he has, ones which I think Dan can exploit to his advantage in the fight.

Although he didnt finish Marquardt off his back, he displayed how comfortable he was off his back, when Marquardt took him down... Anderson started throwing upkicks like crazy, and found ways to get back to his feet.

I can't see someone beating Anderson Silva by LNP... Anderson isn't the same fighter he was in the past, and is only getting better. In the past you've never given Anderson the proper respect, and you're doing the same now.

Carlito's delusion that he's the only one who's given Anderson "respect" from the beginning is one of the bigger running gags on this forum. He's said it to Ripper, Tong and now Average. Shine on you crazy diamond.

I really can't understand the logic of Fitch being matched up with a tomato can at this point. He has to be a fight or two away from the title shot, but why is this match, at a time when people are really starting to catch on to his top contender status, the time where he faces Chris Wilson?

Carlito's delusion that he's the only one who's given Anderson "respect" from the beginning is one of the bigger running gags on this forum. He's said it to Ripper, Tong and now Average. Shine on you crazy diamond.

Why deny the truth?

You were also apart of that group that said "Chris Leben by LNP". American Dragon, me and YPOV were the only ones who really gave Anderson the respect as an elite level MW.

Goddamn you are funny.

Hey, remember when you bet on Sylvia and I bet on Arlovski? Trick question because I KNOW you fucking remember.

I know I'm not involved in this but why would that bet even mean anything? I'm guessing you're throwing it out there to try to embarrass him for thinking Sylvia would beat Arlovski. Sylvia sucks so I understand why it was a stupid choice...

Except Arlovski sucks too and ended up losing to Sylvia two times after that.

If you really thought Leben would L&P Silva (I didn't go through previous posts so I'm relying on what Adebisi said) then I guess I can understand why you posted such a weak comeback and you probably thought to yourself "I owned him" right after submitting.

Awwww, look folks, Dragon is still on his rag because I told him he expects too much from MMA.

Also, never rely on what Carlito says. Ever.

I expect good fights, not shit like Cung Le vs. Sam Morgan which you probably thought was FOTY even though it was an embarrassment to MMA.

But at least your previous posts finally make sense to me now that I know that you picked Leben to beat Silva.