TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE Raw is HD - January 21, 2008

Thanks to his nemesis, Mr. McMahon, Triple H has a second chance at the Royal Rumble. But what is the Chairman up to and why would he give one of the men he hates most another chance at glory? Mr. McMahon had The Game where he wanted him. Thanks to William Regal causing his disqualification loss to Ric Flair, The Game was out of the game. Triple H was out of the Royal Rumble Match and a potential opportunity at a World Championship match at WrestleMania XXIV – an honor the Chairman knows The King of Kings covets more than anything.

The Cerebral Assassin may want to beware. If Triple H wins his match on Monday night, he will be in the Rumble, but the Chairman wouldn’t divulge the identity of his opponent. He wouldn’t reveal what type of match Triple H must compete in. (WATCH)

Knowing Mr. McMahon’s loathing for The Game, the challenge certainly won’t be easy. Who will the Chairman use as a roadblock to Triple H’s Royal Rumble dreams? And is he really giving him another opportunity or just setting him up?

Sweet Chin Music or a Mic Check in HD

Also on Raw, Shawn Michaels and Mr. Kennedy will tangle once again. Even before he won his Royal Rumble qualifying match last week against Trevor Murdoch, Michaels was chomping at the bit to face off against his rival. This week, not only does The Showstopper get the chance to battle the Green Bay, Wis., native, he also gets to do it in HD when WWE broadcasts the match in high-definition. Will HBK lull Mr. Kennedy to sleep with crisper, clearer Sweet Chin Music? Or will the self-proclaimed “Future of Sports-Entertainment” throw Michaels a sharper Mic Check?

Rivalry Reaches New Heights

In other Raw action, Jeff Hardy was out for revenge last week when he squared off against Randy Orton in what was supposed to be an Intercontinental Championship match. Instead, after a low blow from Orton, Hardy lashed out at the Legend Killer and took his skills to new heights – literally. The high-flyer climbed a rigging tower and dropped an incredibly dangerous Swanton Bomb onto Orton, sending both men out of the arena on gurneys. Just how far is Hardy willing to go to avenge his brother, Matt, after Orton punted his head? And just how will Orton respond to the challenge?

Find out all this and more when WWE goes HD for the first time as Raw emanates from Hampton, Va., live on USA Network at 9/8 CT.

I'm actually curious how the change to HD will look to Joe Standard with the new set and such. KOAB and I also both assumed last week that Big Show will be HHH's opponent this week and Meltzer has been guessing that (with a question mark) as well.

KOAB and I also both assumed last week that Big Show will be HHH's opponent this week and Meltzer has been guessing that (with a question mark) as well.

They're gonna job Big Show out his first night back? They really need to save his return for the Rumble.

KOAB and I also both assumed last week that Big Show will be HHH's opponent this week and Meltzer has been guessing that (with a question mark) as well.

They're gonna job Big Show out his first night back? They really need to save his return for the Rumble.

I would prefer he show up and maul HHH. It would be something different at least. I read that they didn't want to have Big Show return at the Rumble because he would just get eliminated and they didn't want him to just look like some random nobody in there. So hopefully that doesnt translate to "We don't want you to get eliminated from the Rumble your first night back, but we DO want you to put over HHH".

*Edit* Picked this up from Rajah

WWE.com has posted an interview with WWE’s 12-year veteran set engineer Jason Robinson about the new HD set that will make its debut tonight. Here are some of the highlights:

-- Viewers will notice how vibrant the colors are. They are going with a whole new set that is created entirely out of video. People are used to seeing hard sets with things like mirrors and the fist on SmackDown. They have more than 1.2 million LEDs (light-emitting diodes) that are going to be on the set. In HD, the rich colors that these LEDs produce is going to be amazing.

-- The set itself is all video, so they can change it to be anything we want it to be. It will be a set for all of the WWE brands (Raw, SmackDown, and ECW).

-- When The Undertaker comes out, the HD set will be gravestones and lightning bolts. When Kane comes out, it will be all fire and flame. It’s a complete freedom of palette to create anything we want for the Superstars.

-- For fans in the arena, the set won’t be a stagnant one that just sits there all night. The fans are going to feel more a part of the wrestler’s persona and who they are. They will see and feel the change when different Superstars come out.

-- WWE has been talking about a new set for a couple of years. Once they had a definitive idea of what we wanted to do, it took about three months to go from the planning stage to completion. The technology available to their industry – HD, lighting, sound and video – all merged together at the right time for them to put together a great set.

That is going to be fucking SICK seeing Undertaker and Kane come out with customized sets and such. I LOVED Kane's custom WMXX entrance that showed a burning NY skyline rather than the usual skyline.

If Big Show wasn't a Vince guy, I could see them doing the "Heel destroys Face into a DQ" like they did with Umaga a few times. But then that would reek of Vince coming out to restart the match and blah blah blah. Then again, if Vince makes it no disqualification then Hunter can just sledge Show a couple times and then they have a nice story going into the Rumble and then Show and HHH can be two of the six guys for the Chamber next month.

Im always a sucker for the new sets so looking forward to that (last change was a letdown though..hoping for a similar revamp on the level of the 1st Raw is War)

I am excited about the new RAW set...I've gotten so tired of the same basic ramp and video board setup they've been using for basically ten years now. Time to quit acting like this is still the late '90s.

So...how many times does Marvin figuratively ejaculate in this thread tonight?

I bet they do some kind of "HD Divas Swimsuit Pillowfight" monstrosity, and the whole time Lawler raves about how he can see the puppies so much clearer now.

I bet they do some kind of "HD Divas Swimsuit Pillowfight" monstrosity, and the whole time Lawler raves about how he can see the puppies so much clearer now.

Methinks that some of those divas are not going to look so appealing in hi def...

I can tell already, the constant HD mentions are going to make this week tough to sit through. If you're watching in HD, you're not going to need constant reminders and if you're not watching in HD, chances are you won't care.

Incidentally, what's the betting on 'HD' or 'High Definition' references from King and JR in the first 5 minutes. I'm saying 6.

HD Raw will be on USA-HD (not available in all areas).

I wonder if the announcers' monitors will be HDTVs so they can actually see the improved picture that the fans will be able to see.

The new set looks sort of like the SNME set (ramp and new TitanTron with LED screens all around the Tron). Plus there's a big columns made of LED with spotlight trusses on it on each side of the ramp.

I'd be all for HHH losing and not being included in the RR. If that was to be the case than Big Show would make certain sense, however it would lead to HHH vs Big Show at the RR and I don't think anybody would care about it.

What about Big Show coming out and laying down for HHH? Though I guess Raw doesn't need any more faces with HHH, HBK, Jeff Hardy, Jericho and Cena(eventually enough). Big Show can play a heel just as he could play a face but Show vs HHH, Show vs HBK, Show vs Jericho, Show vs Hardy, Show vs Cena fail go get my juices flowing. Big show vs Orton isn't a bad minor PPV feud, and versus Ken Kennedy and even Santino Marella would be something I could be interested in.

I guess Big Show wouldn't have to stay on Raw after his re-debut. On SD! he could give Batista something to do, and I wouldn't mind seeing matches with Edge, MVP, Finlay, Punk, Benjamin and I'm sure he'd have run-ins with Khali and Big Daddy V.

I'm anxious to see what the new set-up looks like - especially after reading that description.

I can see them do a thing where Snitsky goes into hiding for most of the show. Maybe Hornswaggle "plays a prank" on him, forcing him to run after Hornswaggle and then realizes he is on HD which causes him to go apeshit. I wouldn't put it past them.

If they bring back Big Show, they need to have him go over strong. Having him lose, even if by DQ, in his first match back, is not going to hack it at this point.

WWE could use another big monster, since all their other ones (Khali, Snitsky, Umaga, etc) have all been made to look pretty much ineffective.

I'm excited about the set.

WWE RAW has had the same set for the past 10 years.. even though it had some minor changes, and etc. It's basically been the same basic set that debuted in 98(or was it 97?).

So I'm glad to see the change. This is a very interesting concept... although I'm not surprise, because the WWE will go all out. They have the best production team in the business.. and they will show everyone how HD is done. This new set should also make things easier for the production team, since they only have to carry one set.

Slickster.. the announcers should have some type of monitor upgrade. It would only make sense, since they can see things much better.

I'd be surprised if Big Show came back tonight to wrestle HHH. I would think WWE would want to bring Show back for the Rumble since they love doing surprise entrants. Yeah Big Show would most likely be elimated but have him get elimated by all the monster sized guys like Mark Henry, Kane, Undertaker, Big Daddy V (if he's actually in it.), and whoever else. It wouldn't hurt Show so much on a return if the Monster type guys got rid of him.

What about Lashley? I know everyone is dead set that he'll return at the Rumble, which will probably occur as it should but if Vince still hates Lashley (I'm betting they drop that all whole deal, anyways), wouldn't Vince like to see each men tear each other apart? (assuming Vince would be up to date on the happenings of his own employees, which never seems to be the case). I think they'll wimp out and put HHH through a gauntlet instead.

What about Lashley? I know everyone is dead set that he'll return at the Rumble, which will probably occur as it should but if Vince still hates Lashley (I'm betting they drop that all whole deal, anyways), wouldn't Vince like to see each men tear each other apart? (assuming Vince would be up to date on the happenings of his own employees, which never seems to be the case). I think they'll wimp out and put HHH through a gauntlet instead.

Eh I'm assuming the whole McMahon vs Lashley gimmick will be dropped. McMahon is already running around with HHH and Finlay, why add a 3rd to the mix? Plus wouldn't it make more sense if Kenney and Lashley feuded since it was Kenney who actually took Lashley out?

Guest WWE247FanaticSeries

I wouldn't be surprised if Big Show returns anytime this week. And I expect them to say any variation of HD OVER 9000!!!1!!!!~@!@!!!1101)@!i201110) times in the first 5 minutes.

Eh I'm assuming the whole McMahon vs Lashley gimmick will be dropped. McMahon is already running around with HHH and Finlay, why add a 3rd to the mix? Plus wouldn't it make more sense if Kenney and Lashley feuded since it was Kenney who actually took Lashley out?

Plus the fact that the whole Vince vs Lashley thing was nonsensical, unoriginal, and stupid to begin with.

Notes from WO.com (the spoiler tag is fairly insignificant - basically just an active member of the roster not listed as doing anything in an official preview - just want to be safe)

--There was a meeting a few weeks back with all talent regarding a change of style in television matches starting today due to HD. Because of HD, they were told it was like the fans will be about 3-5 feet away from you. That means no more verbal communications of spots inside the ring, no more spray on tans that can run (Shawn Michaels and Mr. Kennedy were major culprits of this in recent weeks) and the in-ring style needs to be stiffened up. In many ways, this is like the World Class product in the early 80s at the peak of the promotion where the camera men got into the ring itself for the close-ups and they had these great boom mics that picked up everything. As far as visual enjoyment, it made for a better product then.

--Notes on tonight's Raw. The set has a large red protruding oval in front of a larger rectangular silver base. There is a large screen above the walk-out area and two smaller oval screens to the right and left of the ramp. The ramp itself is unchanged, although it looks cleaner than usual. They have been testing pyro on and off all day. In addition to pyro shooting up from the set, there is pyro shooting forward a small distance from the large oval screen. Pyro was tested today for ring entrances for HHH and

Chris Jericho. The HHH pyro was gold and shot in a circular pattern. Jericho had his usual pyro in addition to double-shooting pyro from the oval screen

. The set is considerably larger. The same set is being used now for all three brands

I don't see HHH getting back into the Rumble. It makes zero sense at all to strip him of his Rumble spot and then just kinda give it back. Vince will screw him in some way.

I'm somewhat excited about the new HD stuff but I can't get USA or Sci Fi in HD. I can get the CW though so SD is going to be cool.