TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Atticus Chaos

Heath Ledger dead

When I first saw Roar (an old TV show on FOX), I knew Heath Ledger had a promising career as an actor. And he definitely didn't disappoint over the years with 10 Things I Hate About You, The Patriot, A Knight's Tale, and Lords of Dogtown. Even if I strongly disagreed with the theme of the movie like Brokeback Mountain, I knew I could count on Heath to give an outstanding performance to make up for it because he was a guy that was so dedicated to perfecting his craft. He just seemed like a guy you could hang out with somewhere, have a couple of beers together, and just BS about whatever came to mind. Its a damn shame his life was cut short because he (reportedly) took a couple of more sleeping pills than he should've. If that was the case, I just wish he would've consulted with his doctor beforehand. R.I.P Heath Ledger

I think it's strange seeing Batman with a bouquet of flowers.

You must have missed the issues where Batman chaperoned Robin at the prom.

I think it's strange seeing Batman with a bouquet of flowers.

You must have missed the issues where Batman chaperoned Robin at the prom.

Not a comic book fan.

I was being sarcastic, though it possibly could have happened in the 60's and 70's Batman comics. That was camp at it's best (worst?).

What I'm wondering is why the flowers are positioned in such a fashion. Look...odd.

Just heard on Entertainment Tonight that his funeral was originally going to be in L.A., but now they're moving it to Australia. ET billed it as a "secret funeral". I'm glad though. Those church fanatics won't be able to disturb it, though in their own twisted way, they'll likely think of it is as a victory.

Guest Shylock
What's the connection here? You didn't know Heath Ledger. The man never did ANYTHING for you. Not even a measley handjob.

How about not being a dick?

You say he did nothing for people, but for those that either use movies as an escape or for those who have some sort of passion for film - he entertained us for the past few years and he had a world of potential in the future that we won't have the opportunity, as fans, to witness. I don't get what the big fucking deal is with your type. For example: Eddie Guerrero dies, people get worked up over it and then assholes like you mock them for it. Seems the same here too. God forbid anyone have a fandom for something that entertains them and then show some sort of emotion when a person they were a fan of dies.

Also consider that maybe, just maybe, your perception of people's reactions to this news is quite a bit off and you're overstating it's impact into something it's not. I mean, someone posts that Batman gravesite picture as a tribute and you blow a gasket. Chill out. The whole thing is a tragedy. He not only died young, but he also had a young daughter who will never get to know him growing up. That's something that I've seen at other places that's resonating with a lot of people.

And you're acting like your fucking dog died. Is your life so totally bereft of meaningful emotion that you have to latch on to these media-generated "tragedies" to feel human? Or are you simply one of those sad sacks who form a bond with television characters to fill some similar type of void?

Ohhh, I get it now. You must not have gotten enough hugs as a child. And now, on an internet message board, you're taking out your revenge on those that have the capacity to go beyond feeling solely for their family and friends, because you're jealous that no one's ever directed that kind of compassion at you. Ok. :)

Guest Vitamin X

I'd like to point out something cool I heard on AICN about Ledger's role in the upcoming Gilliam film he had shot quite a lot of footage on. Seems to me that he was playing some sort of character that kept falling into mirrors and going in to different worlds. Johnny Depp's name had been attached to sub for Ledger, but then Gilliam added a new twist in where each time Ledger fell through a mirror, a different actor would play his role, Depp being one of them, and apparently 2-3 other very high profile actors providing the other roles of Ledger's character. I have to say, that sounds pretty damn creative and I'd love to see that.

I'd like to point out something cool I heard on AICN about Ledger's role in the upcoming Gilliam film he had shot quite a lot of footage on. Seems to me that he was playing some sort of character that kept falling into mirrors and going in to different worlds. Johnny Depp's name had been attached to sub for Ledger, but then Gilliam added a new twist in where each time Ledger fell through a mirror, a different actor would play his role, Depp being one of them, and apparently 2-3 other very high profile actors providing the other roles of Ledger's character. I have to say, that sounds pretty damn creative and I'd love to see that.

That actually sounds really neat, if the other 2-3 actors are in Ledger/Depp's league. Seeing a bunch of really good actors' interpretations of the same role in one movie could be cool as hell.

What's the connection here? You didn't know Heath Ledger. The man never did ANYTHING for you. Not even a measley handjob.

You say he did nothing for people, but for those that either use movies as an escape or for those who have some sort of passion for film - he entertained us for the past few years and he had a world of potential in the future that we won't have the opportunity, as fans, to witness. I don't get what the big fucking deal is with your type. For example: Eddie Guerrero dies, people get worked up over it and then assholes like you mock them for it. Seems the same here too. God forbid anyone have a fandom for something that entertains them and then show some sort of emotion when a person they were a fan of dies.

Also consider that maybe, just maybe, your perception of people's reactions to this news is quite a bit off and you're overstating it's impact into something it's not. I mean, someone posts that Batman gravesite picture as a tribute and you blow a gasket. Chill out. The whole thing is a tragedy. He not only died young, but he also had a young daughter who will never get to know him growing up. That's something that I've seen at other places that's resonating with a lot of people.

And you're acting like your fucking dog died. Is your life so totally bereft of meaningful emotion that you have to latch on to these media-generated "tragedies" to feel human? Or are you simply one of those sad sacks who form a bond with television characters to fill some similar type of void?

Ohhh, I get it now. You must not have gotten enough hugs as a child. And now, on an internet message board, you're taking out your revenge on those that have the capacity to go beyond feeling solely for their family and friends, because you're jealous that no one's ever directed that kind of compassion at you. Ok. :)

You're both coming off as pretty pathetic.

You say he did nothing for people, but for those that either use movies as an escape or for those who have some sort of passion for film - he entertained us for the past few years and he had a world of potential in the future that we won't have the opportunity, as fans, to witness.

Wow, I've never seen "passion for film" mentioned in the same article with "Heath Ledger." Interesting.

You poor little baby. You'll never again have the opportunity, nah, the honour, to fall into Heath Ledger's sparkling eyes to "escape" the monotony of your life. From now on, you'll have to make do with Pauly Shore. Eww. You poor little lemming.

Can you honestly tell me, in all truthfulness, that you had anything more then a passing interest in the life of B-list Hollywood actor before he died? Did you ever pray for him and his well-being? Did you celebrate his birthday, you know, a little cake, some candles? You didn't?

As far as Ledger's "world of potential" for entertaining you in the future, it's exactly that line of thinking that makes me pity you people in the first place. Your true interest in Heath Ledger begins and ends with his capacity for entertaining YOU. You have absolutely no interest in the mans hopes or dreams or hobbies or personal life beyond who he's fucking and whatever pharmaceuticals TMZ.com finds out he's abusing. The guy was nothing more then an object for people like you to consume while he was alive, and now that he happens to have died, you want to pretend like you actually gave a shit about him as a human being. Bullshit.

The whole thing is a tragedy. He not only died young, but he also had a young daughter who will never get to know him growing up. That's something that I've seen at other places that's resonating with a lot of people.

It's a tragedy!? AHAHAHAHHA. Do you seriously buy into this? How is this man's death a tragedy? Thousands of people die every single death. Death itself is not a tragedy. The circumstances of death might constitute a tragedy, but death itself? Nay. Here's the bottom line. The man died peacefully, in his sleep, unconscious, whatever it was. Before his time, most definitely, but that doesn't constitute a tragedy. Falling from the ceiling of Kemper Arena because your harness failed is a tragedy. Being killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq is a fucking tragedy. What about those soldiers? What about their hopes and dreams and "worlds of potential?" Do you give a shit about those people? No. They had no capacity to entertain you and distract you from your apparently miserable life. Don't pretend otherwise.

I've had too many family and close friends die to bother spending any compassion on celebrities.

The moral of this thread is that you have to personally know someone to feel bad that they are dead.

That a whole lot of hypocrisy in that last post there BX. Like...I don't know if the world can take that much in one group of words.

And on top of that, how is getting upset at people being upset over Ledger dying any less pathetic than being upset over him dying in the first place?

Guest Vitamin X

Ripper with the cold, hard truth. BX is really making himself look like a jerk, and not in a "cool" way, either, but more like a "pointless asshole". I mean, I know you think it's cool and all to mock people on TSM for people reacting to celebrities' death ala Downhome, but this is kind of lame, honestly. I mean, I'm not personally affected by it, you know, but it's not like it wasn't shocking and I acknowledged it was kind of a sad thing, and you have to understand other people could feel a lot worse about it too, particularly if you were a big fan of his work. It's not like Ledger was a bad or even a niche actor or anything. He was a young and rising star.

And that's all I really want to add to that, honestly. Now, back on topic.. Apparently some autopsies out there have said something bizarre that Ledger might have actually died of natural causes... at 28?! Apparently it's very rare, but it can happen. That would be strange.

Sorry to tell you BX, but the guy's going to be this generation's James Dean. I hope you'll be able to deal with this as the years go by.

I don't care about how he's going to be perceived. I care about societies bizarre obsession with celebrity.

That being said, Heath's Legacy =/ James Dean. More like River Phoenix.

BX is really making himself look like a jerk, and not in a "cool" way, either, but more like a "pointless asshole".

like, omg

You told him!

But seriously, do you realize that you managed to make Serial Piller the 3rd dumbest thing in this thread? That is fucking amazing. You are at a level of whiney bitch-ness i didn't think was able to be reached.

"Whaa whaa...people care about someone that I don't care about. I should bitch and cry about it!"

Get the fuck over it. He could do something that you can't do. he entertained millions of people. Of those millions of people a small percentage of them felt a bigger connection to him than say, I did. They were upset that he is dead at 28. Its that simple.

Obsession with those out of the ordinary is not odd. Its human nature.

No one says "Wow, thats amazing, he can chew gum!!!" "Oh my god, he has fingernails!!!!"

I just need an avenue to release my hate. That's all.

Obsession with those out of the ordinary is not odd. Its human nature.

How is Heath Ledger out of the ordinary, again? He can act? This is extra-ordinary? Since when?

I think you're right about me overeacting though. I think I've been over inundated by the constant media exposure, which is another matter altogether. I may have overblown this a bit, but I still think I've hit a nerve with some people.

Can you act? Most people can't act well. We have hundreds of athlete themed commercials to show you that, not to mention the hundreds of bad actors.

Yes, the ability to act to a Oscar nominated level is out to the ordinary.

They are going to be talking about this guy for another month, or until another celebrity acts up again, and then they'll cover that 23 hours a day for three weeks. Perhaps my gripe is more with the media, rather then the mental midgets that enables them.

Guest Shylock
Wow, I've never seen "passion for film" mentioned in the same article with "Heath Ledger." Interesting.

You poor little baby. You'll never again have the opportunity, nah, the honour, to fall into Heath Ledger's sparkling eyes to "escape" the monotony of your life. From now on, you'll have to make do with Pauly Shore. Eww. You poor little lemming.

Can you honestly tell me, in all truthfulness, that you had anything more then a passing interest in the life of B-list Hollywood actor before he died? Did you ever pray for him and his well-being? Did you celebrate his birthday, you know, a little cake, some candles? You didn't?

Can I say that I had anything more than a passing interest in him? Well, first of all, I never said once that it was about feeling this way myself. You fail to see that I'm speaking in generalities based on what I've seen off the reactions on other message boards and those from the few celeb sites I chose to go to around the time. Most people enjoyed him as an actor and those that met him said he was a nice dude. So of course it's going to effect them in some way.

Your true interest in Heath Ledger begins and ends with his capacity for entertaining YOU. You have absolutely no interest in the mans hopes or dreams or hobbies or personal life beyond who he's fucking and whatever pharmaceuticals TMZ.com finds out he's abusing. The guy was nothing more then an object for people like you to consume while he was alive, and now that he happens to have died, you want to pretend like you actually gave a shit about him as a human being. Bullshit.
Paris, Lindsay, etc. Those people are objects and the only thing I'd do with them is use them in a punchline for jokes with friends, if I cared about them at all. And I'd feel absolutely no remorse for it, because they seem to lavish in and whore for the spotlight. Heath's a bit of a different animal for myself and others.

It's a tragedy!? AHAHAHAHHA. Do you seriously buy into this? How is this man's death a tragedy? Thousands of people die every single death. Death itself is not a tragedy. The circumstances of death might constitute a tragedy, but death itself? Nay. Here's the bottom line. The man died peacefully, in his sleep, unconscious, whatever it was. Before his time, most definitely, but that doesn't constitute a tragedy. Falling from the ceiling of Kemper Arena because your harness failed is a tragedy. Being killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq is a fucking tragedy. What about those soldiers? What about their hopes and dreams and "worlds of potential?" Do you give a shit about those people? No. They had no capacity to entertain you and distract you from your apparently miserable life. Don't pretend otherwise.

Considering that my main issue with everything, the only thing that actually got to me about the whole deal in a significant way, is the exploitation of his death. So I understand all of that and I do not agree with his death being exploited and publicized to the degree it has. I think it should've been handled with way more respect and tact than it has been, but as it is it's been sold out in the name of ratings and money. So no, I don't agree with this lopsided importance at all. For you to assume THAT MUCH from my post shows just how shit your perception of the whole thing is. He was a young, talented guy who has a daughter that's going to wind up growing up without ever really knowing him. And yes, that's tragic. It may not be as tragic as those other things, but this ain't some sort of tragedy dick-waving contest where this one is greater than that one.

And lastly, the Batman picture you flipped out about? Those kind of things are personal tributes, left mostly anonymously on internet message boards and in the comments of blogs. It's not intrusive into his personal life in the slightest and is showing the guy some degree of respect for having added a little bit more joy to some people's lives through his films. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

I'm not really all that disturbed by the Batman picture, to be honest. It was simply a catalyst that got me on the topic, but the picture itself, while a bit corny, didn't really get to me that much.

Guest Shylock
They are going to be talking about this guy for another month, or until another celebrity acts up again, and then they'll cover that 23 hours a day for three weeks. Perhaps my gripe is more with the media, rather then the mental midgets that enables them.

That would be correct. They have more of an effect on people than some would like to think. And I think that the media and their low opinions/expectations of the general public are more at fault for society becoming so dumb and sedated than people in general. They become as dumb as the bullshit they're fed. If the majority of the media had more objective and intelligent discourse rather than the pundit-laden bile that's on TV these days, people and society would be better off for it. And the funny thing about this whole argument we had is that I saw the exact same thing the other day from a recent show segment uploaded to YouTube. Some Fox show was interviewing Montel freakin' Williams (of all the people to talk to this about) and they asked him about Ledger and he was saying the same thing about how it's sad they give so much coverage to the Ledger thing when there are troops that die over in Iraq and how no one reports them or their names (which I agree with). And the interviewer person(s) stated almost exactly that they were just giving the people what they wanted and "feeding the beast." So yeah, I think the media deserves more of the blame. Celeb news can be entertaining and all, but it's way overdone to a sickening degree.

Does that ability make someone worth more money than a researcher trying to cure cancer? Because society sure seems to think so. Does it make their death more important than the thousands of other people who die every day? Society sure thinks so.

I do cancer research for a living and I'd be willing to say he was more important than me. Then again I'm not about to cure anything - I just do what I'm told.