TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

Router help....

Ok, I have a Linksys WRT54G. I got it at Christmas and was running the internet, a wired PS3 connection and a wireless Wii connection through it up until about two hours ago.

I tried connecting online on Madden via PS3 and suddenly it froze. So I figured it was my PS3. Try again and now it won't connect to the internet. Checked the wii's wireless connection, nope, it won't connect.

So I check the internet, it's down. So usually in this case, unplugging the router and plugging it back in has the connection up and running again in a matter of seconds. I try it....nothing. Again, nothing. So I shut down my computer, restart it....still nothing. Ok, so this time I unplug my router, plug it back in....nothing.

The weird part is, all the indicator lights on the router and modem are on. Also, it is not ISP because I plugged the network cable directly into my computer and the internet worked fine.

So the last thing I did was reset the router, and tried reseting the network from scratch.

It refuses to acknowledge that I have an internet connection.

Every time I try to configure a network it gives me one of two messages: Either a) no internet connection(and then my computer says there is such little connectivity for the network that the internet cannot be accessed) or b)this installation software is meant to be used for Linksys products only, if your router is not a linksys please use the software provided with the router.

And yes, everything is plugged in, powered, and plugged in to the right ports.

The strangest thing is that it seems like the computer, router, and modem are all reading each other and acknowleding they exist, because if I unplug something from the router, the modem knows something is unplugged, same with the computer, however I can't for the life of me get any internet connectivity through my router.......like I said...everything was FINE until two hours ago.....

Is my router fried or did I miss something somewhere?

EDIT: Is this http://www.monoprice.com/products/product....=1&format=2 any type of sufficient alternative to a router? I can use it to plug my PS3 and Internet in at the same time, but will connectivity suffer by using this device instead of a router?

So, the router setup is still a complete failure, yet I managed to get the internet working with the network cable hooked up through the router....how did I do this you ask? Well instead of hooking the cable to the port marked "internet" like the instructions say.....I hooked it into one of the ports that is used for "other devices" and now the internet flows free like a river through my computer.....GO FIGURE!?! (I wonder if the internet port was just fried or something!?!)

So if I am lucky, now that the internet is working, it means the PS3 and Wii connections will work because I am hoping that all that was preventing them from working in the first place was a lack of an internet connection.......so I guess there is a chance I can get the router to work independently and despite of the fact that the actual router software doesn't want to cooperate....*crossing fingers*

The funniest part of all this is that I am surfing the web at the exact same time the router setup is telling me "no internet connection detected" haha.

When your internet goes down, you have to unplug the router and the broadband modem. Then you plug in the broadband modem, wait for it to come all the way online, then plug in the router.

So just to give an update, the router software still isn't acknowleding a working internet connection, but despite that the internet, PS3, and Wii are all connected and working fine. I am not sure why the router won't acknowledge an internet connection but I am done trying for now and as long as everything keeps working the way I currently have it setup then SO BE IT!!!

I hate linksys. I used to have it, but it sucked HARD, so I switched to NetGear.

Try installing new firmware on it.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...aypage=download

He can't buy Netgear because he's using a Wii.

Netgear products are generally incompatible with Nintendo products.

My Netgear router works fine with my Wii.

I hate linksys. I used to have it, but it sucked HARD, so I switched to NetGear.

What.

I demand details. What router, what firmware, what settings.

So just to give an update, the router software still isn't acknowleding a working internet connection, but despite that the internet, PS3, and Wii are all connected and working fine. I am not sure why the router won't acknowledge an internet connection but I am done trying for now and as long as everything keeps working the way I currently have it setup then SO BE IT!!!

I read that you plugged in the incoming net into one of the four lan ports. This will work, but I believe it can cause wacky shit down the road. You're probably fine for now, though.

What.

I demand details. What router, what firmware, what settings.

Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless Router. I don't know anything about the settings or the firmware. When I plugged the router straight into my computer, it set itself up. Everything has worked fine since then.