TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - February 2008

They did show WMXV last year I think. Yeah, a special edition of III along with V and XV. So weird how they pick them.

I watched Clash tonight, what a sensational show. The two tag title matches are both great.

I think that the Bulldogs vs. Dream Team from WM 2 is a great match and certainly non formula. But IX is really crappy and has nothing of note on it.

I've always been partial to the Battle Royale at Wrestlemania 2 and Undertaker's wicked entrance at IX.

I've said dozens of times on this board before but WrestleMania IX possibly has the best atmosphere of any WrestleMania and absolutely nothing else. I don't think anything breaks ** on that show except maybe The Steiners/Headshrinkers.

WM IX's general awfulness is a byproduct of how bland the WWF product was becoming by that point. I like their last three PPVs of 1993, mostly for nostalgic purposes. But from a quality standpoint, they just didn't have much to offer in the ring. Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Mr. Perfect, and to a lesser extent, Razor Ramon were really their only above-average talent during that time.

Even though I haven't seen much of Michaels' recent work, I'd be willing to wager 1993 is his poorest collection of work in a calendar year. Dude was out of shape most of the year and even though he had a handful of very good matches, he seemed to phone most of matches in.

Let's see, Shawn did have the series with Jannetty that were all at least good to great matches, but outside of that his 1993 work wasn't that amazing. But then he was facing Tatanka, Crush, and so on for most of the year and wasn't good enough to flat out carry them.

Still, he did have a misfire with Hennig at SS 93.

Guest bp2007

WWE 24/7 Online updated their first half of February. The theme is "Go Big or Go Home" with The Big Show on the front.

It's a mix bag this month. The return of the History of the Intercontinental Title and 2 Raw's are the highlight. We also get the 1992 Royal Rumble, the NWA Triple cage match and a Big John Studd/King Kong Bundy vs. Bulldogs match.

However we also get Kane vs. Khali, Mark Henry's debut (with interview), Yokozuna vs. Vader, and Andre vs. Hogan (from the main event).

Not sure if I can complain because at least it's different from VOD and half the videos I've never seen before. Ironically nothing with The Big Show even though he's on the banner.

My browser wont let me cut and paste but I'm sure someone else will do that shortly.

Guest shadylpete

Raw: Episode 16

May 10, 1993 | Approx. run time: 42 mins.

The King of the Ring tournament begins on this edition of Raw. Bam Bam Bigelow faces the Natural Disaster, Typhoon in the very first King of the Ring qualifying match. Also, Shawn Michaels defends the Intercontinental Title against "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan in a rematch from the previous Raw. This time, however, it's a Lumberjack Match! Find out who leaves Raw as the Intercontinental Champion.

Raw: Episode 17

May 17, 1993 | Approx. run time: 41 mins.

According to WWE fans, this is one of the most popular episodes of Raw in the history of the Monday night brand! First, witness one of the most shocking matches ever when Razor Ramon takes on The Kid. Then Shawn Michaels puts out an open challenge for the Intercontinental Title. You won't believe who shows up! Definitely make sure you catch this episode of Raw.

History of the Intercontinental Title - Part VIII

February 1, 2008 | Approx. run time: 39 mins.

It's April of 1990 and the Intercontinental Title is vacant for the first time since the inception of the Championship. An eight-man tournament was established to crown a new Intercontinental Champion. WWE 24/7 Online relives every huge match in the tournament. You're in for a treat because many of these matches haven't aired in almost 18 years!

Introducing: Mark Henry - In Your House, Mark Henry vs. Jerry Lawler

September 22, 1996 | Approx. run time: 12 mins.

Mark Henry has been a force to be reckoned with for more than 10 years in WWE. Hear exclusively from Mark Henry about his quest to become a WWE Superstar. Then check out for the first time on 24/7 Online Mark Henry's debut match against Jerry "The King" Lawler. If you enjoy watching these debut matches then get ready for next month when WWE 24/7 Online sits down with John "Bradshaw" Layfield!

Bonus Features: Exclusive Interview with Mark Henry

The Main Event: Andre the Giant vs. Hulk Hogan

February 5, 1988 | Approx. run time: 10 mins.

Andre the Giant and Hulk Hogan's legendary rivalry is best remembered by their WWE Championship match at WrestleMania III. However, almost one year later they had a big re-match at The Main Event. Could lightning strike twice for The Hulkster or would Andre the Giant become the biggest WWE Champion ever?

Championship Wrestling: Big John Studd & King Kong Bundy vs. The Bulldogs

May 17, 1986 | Approx. run time: 6 mins.

WWE 24/7 Online went into the archives to find this hidden gem. In fact, we can guarantee this huge match hasn't been seen since its original broadcast more than 20 years ago. Davey Boy Smith and The Dynamite Kid were the World Tag Team Champions at the time, but the odds were certainly stacked against them. King Kong Bundy and Big John Studd were almost 300 pounds heavier than the champions! If Smith and The Dynamite Kid could pull off a victory it would certainly be considered a big upset!

WrestleMania 23: Kane vs. The Great Khali

April 1, 2007 | Approx. run time: 9 mins.

The Great Khali and Kane are two of the most dominant monsters WWE has ever seen. When they met at WrestleMania 23 it was guaranteed to be a colossal encounter not to be forgotten anytime soon. Find out which monster would walk out of Ford Field victorious.

WWE Beware of the Dog 2: Yokozuna vs. Vader

May 28, 1996 | Approx. run time: 11 mins.

Back in 1996, the two largest athletes in WWE were Vader and Yokozuna. Both Superstars faced each other at "Beware of the Dog" to find out who was the top giant in WWE. Not only did WWE fans wonder who would come out on top, they also wanted to know if a wrestling ring could hold both Superstars!

Royal Rumble: World Championship Match

January 19, 1992 | Approx. run time: 73 mins.

The 1992 Royal Rumble will go down as perhaps the biggest Royal Rumble ever. With the WWE Championship as the prize for the winner, there had never been a battle royal with such high stakes. Superstars such as Hulk Hogan, Sid Justice, Ric Flair and The Undertaker fought to become the next WWE Champion. There can only be one winner, so check out this match to find out who that is!

WCW Great American Bash: Triple Cage Match

July 10, 1988 | Approx. run time: 25 mins.

The Hell in the Cell and Elimination Chamber might be two of the most extreme cages in wrestling history. However, they aren't the biggest. The Tower of Doom cage match takes that honor. This triple cage match featured some of the biggest Superstars from the NWA in the '80s such as The Road Warriors and Dr. Death. The objective of the match is simple: just escape the cage. However, you will learn quickly that some objectives are easier said than done.

I envy the 1990 tournament. I recall Battle of the Superstars from CV featuring a brief overview of the tournament before showing the final. That's the closest I've ever gotten to seeing the tourney.

Not to say this is the greatest WWE 24/7 Online lineup (last year's Hall of Fame month probably takes those honors) but I am quite relieved it's not a Valentine's Day theme.

Lovin these Raws since I didn't have cable until December of 1994.

The IC Specials are great as well since they throw in some random gems (Hart/Honky, Savage/Honky in a cage, Dragon/Savage from SuperStars, the IC Title Tourney) along w/ the obvious title changes. Kind of an odd skip though as it goes from Warrior winning the title at SummerSlam 88 to a vacant title in April of 1990. Nothing from the Warrior/Rude series which is unfortunate but still an excellent series despite Jack Scarpoochi or whatever is name is hosting it.

One bummer is that they cut a lot of the post match hijinx of the Hogan/Andre match. No evil Hebner toss anywhere to be found. :(

But on the bright side, I don't have to dig through a pile of VHSs anymore to watch Royal Rumble 1992 :)

Guest bp2007
Not to say this is the greatest WWE 24/7 Online lineup (last year's Hall of Fame month probably takes those honors) but I am quite relieved it's not a Valentine's Day theme.

Lovin these Raws since I didn't have cable until December of 1994.

The IC Specials are great as well since they throw in some random gems (Hart/Honky, Savage/Honky in a cage, Dragon/Savage from SuperStars, the IC Title Tourney) along w/ the obvious title changes. Kind of an odd skip though as it goes from Warrior winning the title at SummerSlam 88 to a vacant title in April of 1990. Nothing from the Warrior/Rude series which is unfortunate but still an excellent series despite Jack Scarpoochi or whatever is name is hosting it.

One bummer is that they cut a lot of the post match hijinx of the Hogan/Andre match. No evil Hebner toss anywhere to be found. :(

But on the bright side, I don't have to dig through a pile of VHSs anymore to watch Royal Rumble 1992 :)

Maybe they don't like Warrior anymore and didn't want to feature an episode on him for IC Title? Then again, he was on a Raw flashback like 2 weeks ago so who knows? Also, lets not forget they didn't air an IC Episode last month which would have featured Warrior/Rude rivalry...

The IC Title Tournament was in a way a letdown. Double DQ's, Double Countouts and short matches. Still, I loved that the entire tourney was re-aired as I don't remember any of the original matches.

I see they've gone back to showing the poll results for the current PYBO race. They did this way back in September 06 when this deal started and then stopped immediately in October, I believe. At that time, it looked like a Starrcade they had on the poll was way in the lead to win and then all of the sudden The Wrestling Classic received a bunch of votes and won.

I don't think it was the first Prime Time I ever saw but the August 31st, 1987 Primetime is the first one I can really remember watching. End of the summer and I remember it because Bruno was in the main event. Nice to see some of these Primetime Wrestling shows again. Heenan is sorely missed but Monsoon does a good job on his own.

WMVIII had two great matches in Piper/Hart and Savage/Flair. Along with the Warrior's return, it was far from a crappy card.

Taped St. Valentine's Day Massacre when it originally aired. Still one of my favorite PPVs. It was big moment in the Austin/McMahon feud, finally getting them into the ring. Not to mention the super bump that Vince takes. He's said that if he had hit another inch lower, he would have been paralyzed from the waist down.

WMII has not aged well. Though I didn't know that when I was a kid. I remember another summer day when I watched it almost three times in a row. Sad but true. ;)

Someone sell me on Sting/Flair from Clash I. The last 10 minutes is really good and there are a few positives elsewhere (i.e. the wicked Flair chops), but I don't really get the love. Then again, I'm not a big fan of really long matches that have a slow build.

At the risk of sounding unpopular, I am agreeing with Bruiser on this one. I enjoyed the match, but maybe years of hype made me expect more.

I think it was more so that Sting went the distance with Flair, and that alone turned him into a major player.

Just doing some research on next months house shows (since we have no dates yet), there are three different MSG shows in 1986 that featured Tito vs. Savage for the IC title. I'm hoping it's the March 86 show because there's a Bull Nakano match on the card, but the April one sounds like it's a better Savage/Tito match (19 minute No DQ bout). There's also two Houston, TX cards with Hogan vs. DiBiase - both feature the commentary team of Bruce Pritchard, Mike McGuirk, and Pete Doherty - so it's tough to figure out which card we'll see without a date. The December one has Hart Foundation vs. Strike Force though, so I'm hoping it's that one.

You know who did pretty good commentary? Slick. On Primetime, him and Hayes did commentary for some of the Boston Garden matches and he wasn't half bad. Actually somewhat unbias at times.

Watching that Prime Time again, two things came to mind. One, Beefcake was absolutely atricious on the mic. His interview with Mean Gene was awful and he seemed incapable of saying anything coherent. Didn't notice his mic skills as much when I was a kid but he was terrible. Also, I don't think that Bruno and Bret hooked up during that elimination match. It would have been cool to see two of the WWE's legendary champions wrestling each other.

Just doing some research on next months house shows (since we have no dates yet), there are three different MSG shows in 1986 that featured Tito vs. Savage for the IC title.

They had a large series of matches during this time and from what I understand, all very good.

Looking at the 24/7 Online lineup a couple of days late, and it strikes me as odd that they didn't offer the two Rude-Warrior title switches as part of the History of the Intercontinental Title series. They must not have had any other decent Warrior or Rude matches to fill an hour. Although the entire 1990 title tournament on demand is awesome from a nostalgia standpoint.

That suicide dive in the Luchadores match on Nitro was absolutely sick. If it was an adult instead of a kid in the seat where Super Calo did his dive, there would have been serious damage.

Hogan always looked weird with the beard but not the mustache, it looks painted-on.

Guest bp2007
Looking at the 24/7 Online lineup a couple of days late, and it strikes me as odd that they didn't offer the two Rude-Warrior title switches as part of the History of the Intercontinental Title series. They must not have had any other decent Warrior or Rude matches to fill an hour. Although the entire 1990 title tournament on demand is awesome from a nostalgia standpoint.

I found it odd they didn't air an episode in January. It's as if they intentionally didn't want any of those matches to air because if one had aired last month it most certainly would have been Warrior/Rude matches.

I found it odd they didn't air an episode in January. It's as if they intentionally didn't want any of those matches to air because if one had aired last month it most certainly would have been Warrior/Rude matches.

I'm thinking they taped an episode for it but never put it online (Especially since a clip of Rude gyrating w/ the belt is on the opening of the show). Besides the two title changes, they could have included one of their house show matches that were locally televised (either from the Meadowlands or Boston). That or plopped in a typical Warrior defense from before the Rude title win (either vs. Honky at SNME and/or vs. Valentine from the 2/89 Main Event taping).