TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - February 2008

Guest shadylpete

WWE 24/7 Online has updated today.

Raw: Episode 18

May 24, 1993 | Approx. run time: 37 mins.

One week after Razor Ramon was upset by The Kid, Mr. McMahon has an exclusive interview with "The Bad Guy" about his loss. Also in King of the Ring qualifying action, Mr. Perfect takes on Doink the Clown. Will we be seeing double the amount of Doinks again on Raw? Plus, the tag team champions Ted DiBiase and IRS are in action and Adam Bomb debuts on Raw.

Raw: Episode 19

May 31, 1993 | Approx. run time: 41 mins.

The new Intercontinental Champion Marty Jannetty makes his first title defense against Bam Bam Bigelow on this episode of Raw. Also, catch some of the King of the Ring entrants in action when Mr. Hughes, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan and Razor Ramon compete. Don't miss this Raw!

J.R.'s Pick of the Month: King of the Ring, Kane vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

February 15, 2008 | Approx. run time: 21 mins.

This month WWE 24/7 Online sits down with Jim Ross to discuss one of the biggest men in the history of sports-entertainment: Kane. Find out why Jim Ross considers Kane to be the new standard of "big men" in WWE. Then, check out the classic First Blood WWE Championship Match between Kane and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin at the 1998 King of the Ring.

Wrestling Hot-Beds: Large Capacity Shows

February 15, 2008 | Approx. run time: 46 mins.

Wrestling Hot-Beds returns with its biggest edition ever when WWE 24/7 Online looks at some of the largest capacity crowds in the history of wrestling. You'll visit Toronto, Detroit, San Antonio, London, and Pyongyang (pull out a map!). This is your best opportunity to travel the globe in under 60 minutes and watch some of the greatest wrestling at the same time. Don't miss the 2008 premiere of Wrestling Hot-Beds!

My Favorite Match: Jerry "The King" Lawler - King of the Ring, vs. Bret Hart

February 15, 2008 | Approx. run time: 19 mins.

Jerry Lawler certainly had a big ego when he challenged Bret Hart to a Kiss My Foot Match at the 1995 King of the Ring. Despite losing the match, it's still one of Lawler's favorite WWE matches. Catch an exclusive interview with Jerry "The King" Lawler discussing how he prepared to take on The Hit Man and then check out this one of a kind match!

Bonus Features: Exclusive interview with Jerry "The King" Lawler.

Raw: 20-Team Battle Royal

April 2, 2007 | Approx. run time: 19 mins.

Less than 24 hours after John Cena defeated Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 23, they both were set to put their tag titles on the line in a 10-Team Battle Royal. After being victorious, Jonathan Coachman informed the champions they'd be competing in a second 10-Team Battle Royal. Could Cena and HBK defy the odds and walk out the champions? Don't miss perhaps the biggest battle royal in Raw history!

Primetime Wrestling: Akeem vs. Bret Hart

February 19, 1990 | Approx. run time: 10 mins.

Akeem "The African Dream" battled Hall of Famer, Bret Hart on this edition of Primetime Wrestling. Could The Excellence of Execution pull off an upset and defeat the giant Akeem? Find out in this rare match.

Wrestling Challenge: The Natural Disasters vs. The Rockers

November 3, 1991 | Approx. run time: 7 mins.

The Natural Disasters might be the largest tag team in WWE history. Their size difference was evident when they took on the much smaller Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty. Not only did WWE fans get to see a glimpse of a future WWE Champion in Shawn Michaels, they also saw one of the final times The Rocker's teamed up. Don't miss this tag team encounter.

WCW Thunder: The Big Show vs. Meng

January 8, 1998 | Approx. run time: 3 mins.

The Big Show (known as The Giant in WCW) could rarely be knocked off his feet in World Championship Wrestling. In fact, Big Show went through opponents of all sizes like they were cruiserweights! Would this stay true when he took on the Tongan Giant, Meng?

SummerSlam: Undertaker vs. Giant Gonzalez

August 30, 1993 | Approx. run time: 12 mins.

Before Mark Henry, The Great Khali, Kane, Vader and Mankind, The Undertaker's first enormous opponent was The Giant Gonzalez. After almost losing at WrestleMania IX, The Undertaker got a rematch at SummerSlam. Could The Deadman make The Giant Gonzalez rest in peace once and for all?

The WWE 24/7 preview for March mentioned the Santana/Savage match.

I've heard a lot of stories that Savage did not treat Elizabeth right. I think Dynamite Kid once wrote or talked about the fact that Savage used to lock Elizabeth in her hotel room because he was so paranoid. By all accounts, he treated her like absolute shit. Ric Flair wrote in his book he never understood why the two were ever together in the first place.

Flair wrote something else in his book too that I agree with. He liked Savage and thought he was a very good wrestler but he didn't consider him great because he drew his greatest heat with Elizabeth. Basically, the fans were most emotionally involved with Savage when he was working off of Elizabeth. Without Elizabeth, Savage didn't draw as much heat. I have to agree with Flair on that one. Savage's best moments in the WWF were when Elizabeth was at his side.

Another solid Online lineup. Definitely appreciated the fact we didn't get any Valentine's day nonsense. Also digging the fact that it appears we'll get 4 Raws a month from now on. Here's the lineup for the Hotbed show for those curious:

Everything is JIP

Tito Santana & JYD vs Terry & Hoss Funk (WM2)

Royal Rumble Match 1997

Jake Roberts vs Ted DiBiase (WMVI)

IC Title - Bret Hart vs British Bulldog (SummerSlam 92)

Antonio Inoki vs Ric Flair (Korea)

Money in the Bank (WMXXIII)

The WWE 24/7 preview for March mentioned the Santana/Savage match.

It does, but only says it's from MSG. As seen previously in this thread I researched that and found they had matches in a row (which could also be seen in clip form on the Savage Coliseum Video). However, it would seem logical that it's the March show they use next month for the Mania theme. Then again, the 1997 MSG show this month seems to have nothing to do with the theme (well there are a lot of headlocks) and constantly hypes Mania 13. Would have been a better fit for next month, no?

anyone else get a lot of freezing and pixelation while watching videos on 24/7? This used to happen alot last year when I first got it, then went away fo rmany months, now it sback. It really ruins when I'm trying to record something. The other day I recorded an old nitro from it, but went away from the tv for awhile, when I finally checked the dvd, the end of the show froze for 1 minture staright then came back on as the show was at the end.

pain in the ass it is. maybe cablevision/optimum just really sucks

ps watching the recent nitros, it was cool to hear the old nwo b-theme again. It was used for guys like Bagwell, Norton, and Chono and Muta.

Guest bp2007
Another solid Online lineup. Definitely appreciated the fact we didn't get any Valentine's day nonsense. Also digging the fact that it appears we'll get 4 Raws a month from now on. Here's the lineup for the Hotbed show for those curious:

I've never seen (or don't remember) half the videos offered which is a first. I'm impressed by the Feb. videos. Especially the IC Title earlier, the Rockers/Nat Disasters, Hart/Akeem and the Hot-Beds. They really went into the archives to find stuff never shown.

By the way, very interesting that JR chose to talk about Kane of all the big-men. I naturally assumed he'd discuss Undertaker?

Yeah, but Undertaker made JR kiss Vince McMahon's ass, so I don't think JR has forgiven him.

Although, he has forgiven Kane for setting him on fire, Austin for kicking his ass, and HHH for ripping apart his shoulder.

Beats me.

Just watched the latest CWF episode, and holy shit do the Alabama Chain Gang remind me of the referee alien from Futurama. Also of note are Meng (as "King Kong Tonga"), young Barry Windham & Magnum TA (as Terry Allen), and Big John Studd (managed by JJ Dillon) doing the body slam challenge (Butch Reed had him up, but Bruiser Brody attacked from behind for the save).

You know, it's funny...JR recently told a story on his blog that when he used to do broadcasts with Gorilla for Superstars or the short-lived Radio WWF, Gorilla would really go off on the wrestlers and the state of the wrestling industry. They would often have to stop and redo their commentary. Gorilla was pretty old school.

I'd love to see the old Superstars again. Thing is, the WWF doesn't own the trademark for Superstars of Wrestling. The title anyway.

No problem there. I'm watching the IC Title Tournament, and they have the "Superstars of Wrestling" logo blurred out at times.

Guest bp2007
You know, it's funny...JR recently told a story on his blog that when he used to do broadcasts with Gorilla for Superstars or the short-lived Radio WWF, Gorilla would really go off on the wrestlers and the state of the wrestling industry. They would often have to stop and redo their commentary. Gorilla was pretty old school.

I'd love to see the old Superstars again. Thing is, the WWF doesn't own the trademark for Superstars of Wrestling. The title anyway.

No problem there. I'm watching the IC Title Tournament, and they have the "Superstars of Wrestling" logo blurred out at times.

I think it's like WWF. You can show the program but you can't see or hear the actual name.

I've dealt with technical difficulties the last couple weeks. From little things like not being able to fast forward to programs suddenly freezing, stopping and then having the counter reset when I go back to said program. Quite irritating when you're watching a lengthy program. I guess my cable provider (Charter) has been dealing with a lot of issues as they attempt to make the full transition to digital programming.

This will be highly unpopular but I'll go ahead and say it. Having rewatched these 1997 Raw shows on 24/7, I have come to the conclusion that the Hart Foundation was a highly overrated stable. People wax poetic about the group but let's examine things:

--Bret was hurt for months and didn't wrestle.

--Pillman was way past his prime as a wrestler and was in fact near death.

--Neidhart was mostly just crap by 1997.

--Bulldog and Owen were really the only actual workers of the group, and for the most part they were just job bitches for Austin, Michaels, etc.

One thing to note on the recent Raw on 24/7 is the whole Russo experience of everyone having dissention. At least the Harts were a cohesive unit. UT and Bearer? Blackmail and dissention. The Nation? Savio and Crush having problems...dissention. Austin and Michaels? Dissention among the tag champions. Russo of course would play that angle out eventually but in 1997 it was new and fresh.

It doesn't get really good until the build to Canadian Stampede (though the Austin / Bret / Ambulance angle from April is still great). I'm probably saying this with a Canadian bias, but the best parts of the angle are when they'd have Raw in Canada.

Let's not forget that whenever wrestler A and wrestler B have a conflict with wrestler C (in this case, group C)-The Hart Foundation, they almost always buddy up to try and take down C. This time, they had their own problems with each other and it seemed real compared to the fake feeling comradery just because they both dislike someone else. Austin and HBK, I thought, had a real feud between them as well as the Harts. They legit felt they didn't need each other to take out a common enemy. I used to think it would lead to an ultimate feud between the two (while both were faces).

It doesn't get really good until the build to Canadian Stampede (though the Austin / Bret / Ambulance angle from April is still great). I'm probably saying this with a Canadian bias, but the best parts of the angle are when they'd have Raw in Canada.

I agree. At the time, I was mainly watching WCW and I didn't really get back into watching WWF until around the time of Canadian Stampede.

Sunflower schedule is up, and here are some things of note...

- There's a Bret Hart vs. Ric Flair...it'll probably be the title change, but that match really isn't very good at all. There's also a Bret vs. Savage match. The 10 Man Tag Team Match listing tends to indicate that we'll also be getting the tag from Canadian Stampede.

- Undertaker 15-0 DVD is going to be up...ugh. At least we get to see the Taker-Bossman Hell in a Cell.

- The Nitro from 6/9/97 is not going to be up at all.

- In a precursor to WM IX, we get the Wrestling Challenge from that week. That's nice.

- There's something called WWE Mania listed, I don't have any idea what that is.

- Lastly, the John Cena: My Life documentary will be up.

That's all I found interesting. The WrestleMania shorties look great. All in all, even though the WrestleMania's they're showing are shit, this month probably has the best selection of stuff to watch since I've had 24/7.

Wonder if that Nitro features a lot of Benoit. I recall one Main Event on Nitro featuring Benoit and Flair wrestling Hall and Nash for the tag team titles.

Interesting omission on Prime Time...Monsoon mentions they'll be a segment on the "Piledriver" wrestling album but we never see it. Must be a music right issue.

Definitely looking forward to seeing the Bret/Flair match. I never have seen it. I've heard both good and bad reviews for it. Flair said he could barely wrestle due to the inner ear problem and that the match was terrible. Hart wasn't too fond of it either and didn't put it on his DVD.

The match listings for the 6/9 Nitro don't list Benoit. It's funny that was posted, because I was just about to ask about Benoit. Was he associated much with the Horsemen at this point? Obviously they edit out his individual segments/matches, but it seems like WWE really lucked out in that Benoit is never seen with the other Horsemen members. Even this past Nitro, only Mongo & Jarrett save Flair from Hall & Syxx.

MSG from March '86. That show actually features Dump Matsumoto and Bull Nakano in tag action! The Crush Gals wrestle another match on the card as well.

I like having Wrestlemania 2, it could be fun if they have the original PPV airing instead of the Coliseum version.

I like '70s era MSG shows. Baron Von Raschke and Ivan Putski for 30 minutes? That'll take some patience. We get early Nikolai Volkoff and Larry Zbyszko though.

I see "Hart vs. Savage" listed as one of the HOF matches... hopefully that's not some WCW debacle. I like that Bret Hart was also given 9 matches... most 5 week months just split the match distribution up but still have it at 6. "10 Man Tag" is from Canadian Stampede, I assume.

I assume "Mania Freeview" is some sort of Mania based free preview for non-subscribers.

By my math, the 2nd MNW of April should be the July 7, 1997 Raw. I love that Raw and I hope there are no technical difficulties getting it.

Guest Dolfan483

I noticed on the Sunflower site that they dont list Primetime airing at any time during the month. I doub't they would just stop showing it, but it's my favorite thing about 24/7 and im worried they might not show it this month.

The match listings for the 6/9 Nitro don't list Benoit. It's funny that was posted, because I was just about to ask about Benoit. Was he associated much with the Horsemen at this point? Obviously they edit out his individual segments/matches, but it seems like WWE really lucked out in that Benoit is never seen with the other Horsemen members. Even this past Nitro, only Mongo & Jarrett save Flair from Hall & Syxx.

Oh yeah, Benoit was an active member of the Horsemen. This probably means a lot of stuff is going to be cut out over the next few months. Because you have Arn's retirement, the NWO skit mocking him, Hennig joining and then betraying the Horsemen. I wonder how they're going to handle that.

Hope they are keeping Prime Time. I have to get my Gorilla/Brain fix.

I noticed on the Sunflower site that they dont list Primetime airing at any time during the month. I doub't they would just stop showing it, but it's my favorite thing about 24/7 and im worried they might not show it this month.

Primetime and TNT are expendable shows when 24/7 has theme specific programming. Last year they showed the WrestleMania III PTW and nothing else (despite the fact they had just shown that episode in January). There are obviously no PTW shows that build to Mania IX or X8, so we get a Challenge and Raw in their place. I like a change up like that every now and then.

Primetime and TNT are expendable shows when 24/7 has theme specific programming. Last year they showed the WrestleMania III PTW and nothing else (despite the fact they had just shown that episode in January). There are obviously no PTW shows that build to Mania IX or X8, so we get a Challenge and Raw in their place. I like a change up like that every now and then.

We're getting Wrestling Challenge? That would be sweet. It doesn't have the trademark problems of Superstars of Wrestling.

Well, the trademark issues only pertain to the 80s "Superstars OF WRESTLING" version. "WWF Superstars" is a-ok, and that's what it would be in 1993, but I digress. Yes, the schedule lists the March 27, 1993 (which spman tells me was really the 28th) Challenge as airing as Mania IX build-up.

Guest Bigelow34

Oh yeah, Benoit was an active member of the Horsemen. This probably means a lot of stuff is going to be cut out over the next few months. Because you have Arn's retirement, the NWO skit mocking him, Hennig joining and then betraying the Horsemen. I wonder how they're going to handle that.

Hope they are keeping Prime Time. I have to get my Gorilla/Brain fix.

Didn't they say that they were going to stop cutting Benoit from DVDs, just not promote him? I wonder if that will spill into 24/7 now too?