TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - February 2008

Good grief, why not just show it anyway? They show old shows from 25 years ago with iffy quality, I think we can stand one Nitro.

Anyway, I didn't remember some of this stuff on Raw. Like the whole hilarious RVD/Funk match with Heyman and Dreamer sitting at ringside, only to have Heyman jump the rail and attack Lawler! Lawler of course beat his ass, then Dreamer attacked Lawler, RVD jumps in. It was a fun angle, though it was a shame that the WWF audience really didn't get what was going on since it was mainly an ECW angle.

I forget... did that happen before or after Lawler appearing at the ECW Arena?

Guest Bigelow34

A friend of mine read this elsewhere about the 6/9 Nitro:

"However, it is now coming out that the "recording errors" explanation is actually legit, and not a cover-up for Chris Benoit. According to the Wrestling Observer, the master tape WCW gave WWE when the video library was purchased has some major audio issues during the second hour which would make the episode unfit for broadcast. WWE actually tried to get a DVD of the show from someone on the Internet, but believed that the audio quality wouldn't be of broadcast standard. WWE then made the decision to skip that week's episode of Nitro altogether."

Guest Bigelow34
Yeah, we discussed all that last page.

I edited it down to the relevant part. Thanks.

I had the chance to catch ECW before it gets pulled out. I had no idea that Foley did the Royal Rumble spot three years before 1999. That guy must be insane to be willing to take so many chair shots at once, let alone to do it on two occasions. That final chair by Whipwreck was sick.

It's nice to see an episode of World Championship Wrestling with a "real" match (in this case, Tully vs. Dusty for the National Title from a different location).

The best part of the WCW episode was the MX brutalizing that jobber team, complete w/ Cornette laying on the badmouth and Eaton going over to the commenary desk to give Schiavone a high five.

Other good stuff was the Tully/Dusty post-match stuff, and Nikita's handful of fan letters.

It's nice to see an episode of World Championship Wrestling with a "real" match (in this case, Tully vs. Dusty for the National Title from a different location).

World Class Championship Wrestling from the 80s is my favorite 24/7 program.

I think this marks only the second time I've seen Dusty actually wrestle on the studio show.

Of the various old shows I think WCCW is better than the NWA/WCW shows. Those WCW shows have too many jobber squash matches, whereas WCCW has a lot of solid action. I will say that the WCW shows have vastly better promos on them, but that goes without saying.

On the recent show I laughed so hard at Dusty's interview in the studio after they showed his loss to Tully. He ranted and raved about "They have taken everything from me! The World title! National title! Why not just take the clothes off my back??" Then he proceeds to strip, with the camera cutting him off as he takes off his pants, haha.

The booking is better in the NWA shows with several feuds running at once, angles advanced and explained on a weekly basis, etc. The WCCW shows are running on the strength of the Freebirds/Von Erichs feud with some other groups in between. Of course seeing a new show only every 3-4 weeks it is hard to make a fair assessment.

WCCW has several intriguing things going on right now:

--Obviously the Freebirds/Von Erichs stuff.

--This hilarious Devastation Inc. vs. Arman Hussein and Co. feud. I swear this is a heel vs. heel faction type deal. On one side we have Bundy, Kabuki, Kamala, etc. On the other we have Yatsu, Magic Dragon, Checkmate. I wonder who wins that one!

--Jimmy Garvin's bizarre gimmick of never wanting his matches filmed so no one can scout him. I don't truly understand this angle, since all wrestlers should want to have all the TV time they can get. But his promo was curious since he trashed the Von Erichs, Freebirds, etc. Another tweener gimmick?