TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
treble

NHL February 2008

Guest Michael Myers Resplendent

Psh, fuck off, Short-Handed Sharp is my guy. We gave you Vandermeer back and I actually LIKED him!

We do need a defenseman. Seabrook and Keith are solid, but one more couldn't hurt. I think that Cam Barker is the most likely candidate to be moved. I thought that Dave Bolland would be traded but he's turning out to be a pleasant surprise as a skill player.

It's tough to think about trading these guys. I've gotten attached to a lot of these guys: Toews, Kane, Byfuglien, Seabrook, Skille, Burish. I want them to be pieces of the puzzle for a long time, and I feel that many will.

This is a good year for defenceman this year for the draft. If Chicago can either get Drew Doughty or Alex Pieterlangelo that would be nice, but even still you have Luke Schenn, Michael Del Zotto or even the 6'7" Tyler Myers.

I've given up on my Aucoin love. I was right about Savard; I'm going to milk that.

The Leafs win 4-3 in a shootout, and, ahem, stay in the playoff hunt. Never mind it took them over 30 minutes to look interested, and played probably the sloppiest I've seen them play all year.

And also, discussion I had with my Sabres friend yesterday:

CG: See who they got?

CF: Sucks.

CG: I don't know. It's not a benefit, but Bernier's underrated, and a first-round pick? That's pretty fair. And they're tied for eighth now, let's see.

CF: Sucks. See my msn name when you get home.

It was "How to dismantle a Cup Contender in less than a year: The Darcy Regier story". Now it's "Two goals and an assist in 25 minutes? Welcome, Steve Bernier." Ah. Sabres fans.

My God, we can't even beat the Flyers.

Hey, I know this is going to be hard to believe, but Martin Havlat is out for the rest of the season.

I just can't let this go. Flyers are not a bad team. They've had two bad losing streaks this season, but still...they're in 8th place. Most teams would not be able to overcome that. I'm not saying they're the best team in the league, but when the Flyers beat them 3 out of 4 times, and lost to them in a shootout, it shouldn't be THAT surprising. Plus, they're on a similar skid we were. I still think they will snap out of it, I just hope they wait until next season.

And first in the Northeast! Plekanec with the hatty, Kovalev has FOUR assists.

If the Habs do get into first overall in 5 weeks, I have no problem with Alexei as the Hart winner. Where else would Chris Higgins and Tomas Plekanec be 20-goal guys?

The Sabres loss would have been much more meaningful for the 'playoff-hungry Leafs' had they hung on. Alas, a 3-2 Bolts win continues the streak of Toronto teams against Tampa, and "This is a team we should beat! Why do we struggle with them?"

Habs beat the Panthers in OT (nice goal Kovalev), Miller and the Sabres shutout the Leafs and Ottawa lost to Jersey..

great night in the NHL!

I would think people would want the Leafs to win more. The more they lose, the better the shot at pick #1.

They're in last place in the conference now. They're going to screw this up for me, I just know it.

Just fucking lose! I knew they were going to go on a pointless run like this.

It has to be, what 15-20 years since Montreal was leading a division this late into the season?

BTW Max, Lucic is a monster. (To steal from the awesomeness of Pierre Macguire).

The Montreal-New Jersey game tonight has turned into a really important one. The Habs can rise to first overall with a win, or drop to a tie for fourth with Pittsburgh with a loss.

Curtis Joesph is making his third start of the season for the Flames tonight against Phoenix.

It's been so long since I've been this estatic about Les Habitants. It's been a long time since they have been considered a threat.

Ya this isn't upset roll, this is on a mission.

But this is not important in Toronto. Apparently, Toronto is also making a run at the playoffs, and if you ask Damien Cox, Toronto is favourite to win it all right now.

"Special teams" implies that Gill is good at the PP as well as the PK. Simmons is such a hack. Gill is very reliable on the PK for breaking up a pass with that long reach of his and then putting the puck right onto the point man's stick. For all the talk about how good he is on the PK, the Leafs aren't suffering in that area without him. I think he was better in TO than he was with Boston (going by what Bruins fans felt about him) but he did get overrated and he might actually be the least physical defenceman in the league over 6ft'4.

Gill's only real specialties were breaking up passes and pinning guys to the wall. If the Pens are expecting physicality from him, they're going to be very disappointed. I know Jagr basically made Gill's career when he called him the hardest guy for him to play against, but Jagr's a different animal than most in that he's bigger and powerful off the walls, while most of the guys now are just fast. Chara has the same problems laterally that Gill has, the only difference is that Chara has improved his positioning to not be caught out of position like Gill has oh, so many times.