TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dh86

Smackdown to leave the CW

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_New...cle_24425.shtml

After a successful decade of "SmackDown" on both UPN and The CW, World Wrestling Entertainment and The CW have agreed to conclude our partnership. Since The CW's exclusive negotiation period ran out as of last Thursday, January 31, we have been contacted and have been in negotiations with other networks. "WWE SmackDown" will continue to air on The CW until the conclusion of the 2007-08 broadcast season. We are grateful to Les Moonves, Dawn Ostroff, and their entire organization for bringing "WWE SmackDown" to millions of viewers for so many years.

I bet WWE will try like hell to get it on NBC.

I'm just glad it's off UPN/CW now. Our local affiliate has the worst production values ever.

I'm just glad it's off UPN/CW now. Our local affiliate has the worst production values ever.

NBC would be very interesting... That would mean all WWE shows are on the NBC/Universal networks.

NBC? nah...they're still kinda sour on the SNME ratings plus wrestling isn't mainstream anymore...1998...yes...today no.

I'm kinda glad I don't have to watch the CW/UPN ever again. I had a few favorite show on that network and all were ax'd for some teenie bop dramas.

As far as SD goes, I doubt it'll be on network tv...although MyNetworkTV is looking hard for programming that will stay on more than a month.

Article on the split from Variety.com

Quote:

The CW is getting out of the ring, parting ways with the WWE's "Smackdown" franchise after failing to reach a new deal with the wrestling org.

WWE announced the split late Thursday night, saying it had been "in negotiations" with other nets since last week. CW's exclusive negotiating frame with WWE ended Jan. 31. "Smackdown" will end its run at the end of the 2007-08 season.

There was no immediate word on where "Smackdown" might land, but cabler USA might be a logical home. It already has a relationship with the WWE.

NBC has also aired some primetime grappling, but a weekly

franchise-- even in the era of "American Gladiators"-- would be off- brand for the network, one net insider said. News Corp.'s MyNetwork TV might also make sense, though the lack of an announced deal would suggest that such a pact isn't a slam dunk.

"After a successful decade of 'Smackdown' on both UPN and the CW, World Wrestling Entertainment and the CW have agreed to conclude our partnership," WWE said in a statement explaining the move. Org did not give a reason for the decision.

CW put out a similar press release that offered no further explanation.

With the WWE and CW unable to come to a quick agreement, it's believed CW execs had begun telling its stations that a deal might not make, people familiar with the situation said. Rather than wait for rumors to begin leaking out, WWE apparently opted to get the news out first.

CW (and previously UPN) execs had mixed feelings about the WWE franchise. "Smackdown" consistently delieved solid ratings for the network and its UPN predecessor since 1999, giving the net a pulse on weak nights such as Friday. "Smackdown" also filled two hours of programming, allowing CW to focus on fewer nights.

On the other hand, wrestling didn't always fit in with the femme focus the CW has tried to cultivate via hits such as "Gossip Girl" and "America's Next Top Model."

It's believed CW execs were open to the idea of keeping "Smackdown" on their air, but only at the right price. Since that price wasn't available, CW execs seemed to have decided to bite the bullet and move on without wrestling.

Still, given the CW's difficulties generating big ratings with scripted shows, losing "Smackdown" will present problems for the young net.

WWE was careful to word its statement without any sharp comments, even going so far as to praise CBS Corp. supremo Leslie Moonves and CW chief Dawn Ostroff. A CW rep couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

And if they end up back on Thursday TNA is fucked hard.

Friday Night Smackdown and Friday Night Lights on NBC!

Nah, FNL will get canned and there is little chance NBC will put wrestling on prime time. I think Saturday Night's Main Event would work if they made it "Live From New York" from Hammerstein Ballroom or some intimate venue, giving it a different feel and energy, but to Vince that's making his huge production look small.

This will be interesting.

They could just end the brand all together. Move talent over to Raw to extend the show to three hours like the network supposedly wanted them to do a few months ago. Have the hour on Sci-Fi - maybe scrap ECW and Smackdown - make it Tuesday Night Titans or something and then do the seasonal SNME on NBC late night in the live format.

Sci-Fi could end up having to take on Smackdown, which could mean the end of ECW too. I don't think they'd want three hours of wrestling on Sci-Fi - they don't even want one hour.

Could this be an excuse to put the final nail in the coffin of the brand extension? They already have joint PPV's. What's the point?

I know the ad rates for wrestling is low, but I'm sure A LOT of cable companies would be happy to have wrestling. It's always in the top 10 and brings in the young demo.

Interesting to say the least. One one hand, moving from network TV to cable is a bad change image-wise. The ability to say that he is on network television, I imagine, is a huge deal to WWE. The thing is, that if they don't secure a deal with NBC or even CBS or FOX, it'll be a huge step down. My guess is that Smackdown will end up on a cable station, probably USA. If I was Vince, though, I would try to set up a deal with a seperate channel; being able to say that you have programming on three seperate channels is just plain impressive.

I would imagine, given the circumstances and the wording, that WWE received better offers than they had from the CW, and that points to NBC. Friday nights are a death sentence for most shows, but WWE consistently pulled respectable numbers on the definitive #5 network on a death night for programming. It might move nights, it might move hours, but it has to be staying on network television...barring a ridiculous demand from the CW I don't see why WWE would pass on their offer if they had no better choices.

I would imagine, given the circumstances and the wording, that WWE received better offers than they had from the CW, and that points to NBC. Friday nights are a death sentence for most shows, but WWE consistently pulled respectable numbers on the definitive #5 network on a death night for programming. It might move nights, it might move hours, but it has to be staying on network television...barring a ridiculous demand from the CW I don't see why WWE would pass on their offer if they had no better choices.

The most likely candidate I would think would be CW's rival, MyNetworkTV. Unless there's an unknown contract provision somewhere for this scenario, I don't believe that Smackdown is limited to NBC Universal outlets.

I would assume that TNA would be moved if Smackdown ends up on Thursdays. Spike isn't stupid.

Guest Bigelow34

The most likely candidate I would think would be CW's rival, MyNetworkTV. Unless there's an unknown contract provision somewhere for this scenario, I don't believe that Smackdown is limited to NBC Universal outlets.

I would assume that TNA would be moved if Smackdown ends up on Thursdays. Spike isn't stupid.

I hope it doesn't end up on MyNetworkTV as we don't get it here in RI.

I hope it stays on network TV...mainly because I do know quite a few people around here who don't have cable, and Smackdown is the only WWE show they get to watch right now.

Wherever they go, they just need to avoid Friday or Saturday. People go out. Any other day would help them ratings wise I would think.

Agreed. I myself would like to see it air on Wednesday nights.

Wherever they go, they just need to avoid Friday or Saturday. People go out. Any other day would help them ratings wise I would think.

Agreed. I myself would like to see it air on Wednesday nights.

Wednesday night could really over flood the market. On PPV Weeks you would have 4 Consecutive nights of WWE wrestling. Seems like too much of an overload for a casual fan.

Wow, man.

I bet that asshole, Brent Bozell and the rest of his PTC Goon Squad are gonna be celebrating in the streets after they hear this. But, if they do take SD! to cable, it'll be interesting to see if they still think it will be a threat to American Morallity.

I agree that wherever they land - stay off Friday or Weekend shows at all cost. I agree that Wednesdays seems like the best day of the week as Thursdays have stacked network line-ups. However with ECW on Sci-Fi tuesday nights, three straight nights of wwe seems like overkill. Now if ECW was moved to Friday, you could have Monday Night Raw, Wednesday SD! and than an edgier ECW on Friday nights.

Wherever Smackdown goes, I don't particularly care.

But this just makes me miss when Smackdown! was serving as Raw: Continued and things were a little more strung together.

But that general era was pretty great, so it might not be the interaction of the shows so much as just good times in general.

I always thought FX would end up with a wrestling show. Whatever show NBC has on Friday night usually beat Smackdown in the ratings so I dont see that as an option. Honestly, if they dont take the steps to put Smackdown on the same level as Raw (making it live, more stars on the show), then I wouldnt mind the show going away for good.

Wow, man.

I bet that asshole, Brent Bozell and the rest of his PTC Goon Squad are gonna be celebrating in the streets after they hear this. But, if they do take SD! to cable, it'll be interesting to see if they still think it will be a threat to American Morallity.

Dude.. that was like, six years ago.

I always thought FX would end up with a wrestling show. Whatever show NBC has on Friday night usually beat Smackdown in the ratings so I dont see that as an option. Honestly, if they dont take the steps to put Smackdown on the same level as Raw (making it live, more stars on the show), then I wouldnt mind the show going away for good.

So you want to fire 35 or so wrestlers?

They can't end the brand split. We've had this convo. That would be an asinine decision for business, not to mention, without the split, guys like Punk, MVP, Kennedy, Lashley, Morrison, Mysterio, Batista, even Cena would NEVER have gotten their star-making pushes.

Do some of you even watch Smackdown? It's usually WWE's best show during the week.

Dood! It doesn't have any big stars on it, it sucks!

That seems to be a pretty prevailing attitude people have about Smackdown.

It better not be fucking MyNetworkTV, the lamest excuse for a Network ever.

I cant see any network doing it though since any night other than Saturday, regular programming gets better ratings than Wrestling will.

I cant see it going to Cable unless its a Universal Channel. Any cable net would have to do HD.

My best bet says: Smackdown on Sci Fi live tuesday nights, ditching ECW or pushing it to web only.

Mediaweek has a report this afternoon adding more details to the split between WWE and the CW Network that was announced last night. Smackdown will no longer air on the CW after September 12, 2008, which coincides with the end of the fall network TV season.

The report includes information from insiders at CW, with their general belief that WWE's ratings in the key adult 18-49 demographic were slowing. WWE's product, especially Smackdown, has been strongly marketed toward kids recently, which has led to lower adult demographic ratings.

From Mediaweek's report: "The CW insiders said the network was not exactly excited about renewing, since the Smackdown adult 18-34 rating this season had decreased to a 1.4, which made it only the seventh highest-rated show on the network in prime time."

CW also feels that Smackdown, despite its strong overall ratings, isn't a good fit on the CW, as viewers tune in for Smackdown, but don't watch any other programming. The report quoted one CW insider: "No one who watched Smackdown watched any of our other shows on any other night."

The lack of crossover viewership for other TV shows on the CW hurt the network financially, as they couldn't package commercial timeslots to advertisers with "other CW female-skewing shows." The report quotes a CW insider, who says, "I think we just knew it was time to move in another direction."